Did Madonna age faster between 1994-1997?

FrozenYoghurt

I know, aging is a human process. It happens to everyone. Eventually, it will be evident in your face and appearance.

Madonna looked very much according her age during Erotica and Bedtime Stories promo, a woman in her early 30s. I just watched the Evita movie (1996) for the first time and noticed how she looked too 'old' for the role she played, a character in the late 20s. Madonna looked more like 40 at that point, being 36-37 during the shooting of the film. She suddenly started looking like a middle aged woman.

In 1997, during the creation of RoL, she rocked the longer curly hair and had less make-up. To me, she looked like a totally different person, very different from 1994-Madonna. I don't mean it in a negative way (she still looked fantastic) but it seemed she has aged 10 years between 1994/1995 and 1997/1998. Within 3 years, her looks transitioned from rebellious young woman to 40-something mother-of-two. It must be the make-up, her face suddenly looked more mature and more like the Madonna of now (esp. 00s Madonna). Does anyone think so too? Can you point towards what exactly changed her appearance and what made change so drastically?

I think she was beyond beautiful and reached hear peak in the Erotica-Bedtime Stories-Something to Remember era. So what if "she looked like a middle-aged woman"? Not in my opinion. As for Evita, yeah, she was definitely too old to play a 16-year-old (which was also a part of the movie!).
Yeah, she aged. Big deal, it was all normal. If we really have to discuss her looks... She kinda started looking "manly" after the "Ray of Light" era (many pictures from 2001-2002 illustrate what I mean), which she started fixin' up with plastic surgery. Then she lost a lot of body fat after "Confessions", and we got the skeletal "Sticky & Sweet" look. She "fixed" that as well with new cheeks a year later, and now I think she looks amazing for her age. Aging, cosmetic procedures, whatever. I'll always love her.

This is a controversial discussion and I feel like my remarks might be sexist as well. I apologize, English is my second language and sometimes I feel like I can't express myself properly.

Madonna definitely does look too old to play a teenage Eva, it may have been better to get a younger actress for those scenes. So I get what you mean.

As for analyzing Madonna's aging process... I think she was already looking older during Erotica/Bedtime Stories, if anything the little bit of weight she put on during pregnancy/Evita made her look younger.

I assumed this might come off as negative, but I didn't mean to be controversial. She aged very gracefully.

My main point was that she made a big transition from Something To Remember to Ray of Light. 

5 hours ago, Future Lover said:

She kinda started looking "manly" after the "Ray of Light" era

Maybe that's what I meant.

11 minutes ago, The Same Parts said:

After giving birth, I think she became kind of obsessed with BMI. People in their late 30s start looking haggard if they work out excessively and keep their body fat too low. 

Her 'tummy' has become A Subject.
Not just in a Quentin Tarantino movie either.
I CAN see how that might 'bother' her ?
But yes though. xx

I agree that she looked very different between 1994 and 1997. It definitely has to do with her hair, makeup and possibly her weight. During the Bedtime Stories era she usually had very white hair and her thin eyebrows also made a big difference to her appearance. As well, she seemed to look very healthy, fit and wasn't too skinny (not that she wasn't beautiful when she became thinner too.) I think these combinations made her appear different and more like a 'rebellious' young woman. Here she is in 1995, for example. (I think she looked the most beautiful during this era.)

Later in 1995 I think she started to look mature by using different makeup, getting a new hairstyle and dying her hair; her eyebrows were also thicker. She probably wanted to change her image because of the release of her ballads compilation and upcoming filming of Evita. The absence of the platinum blonde hair and thin eyebrows made a big difference in her looks in my opinion. In 1996 I don't think her looks changed much from 1995 except for different hairstyles. Here she is with a hairstyle that she didn't have often during that year; I think she looks much different than she does in other photographs from the same year and more like she did a couple of years previous. 

In 1997/1998 her different looks became more obvious. Her hair was nothing like it was in 1994. It was longer, curly and more flat at the top. She also had it parted equally most of the time. I think it just framed her face differently and was a completely different hairstyle than all of her previous ones which is what made her look like a different person. She also seemed to wear less bold makeup and began losing the weight that she had gotten from being pregnant, becoming skinnier than she had been before she became pregnant.

Really, makeup, hair and eyebrows can make someone look like a completely different person when changing it. I don't think she necessarily aged quickly  between those years--it's just that she changed her looks drastically between them. Maybe if Madonna had kept her Bedtime Stories era look from 1994 - 1998 she never would've appeared to age at all, but we all know how much she likes changing her image so that was never going to happen! 

36 minutes ago, madonnaempress said:

She reminds me so much of Lola here. I guess she looks a bit more plump or whatever. Definitely some more weight to her, i think it's just that. 

ReleasePartydu_Parfum_Gaultier.jpg

Such a beautiful photo of her. :heart:Having more weight on her could definitely be one of the reasons why her appearance changed so much. Her arms look more muscular in photos from 1999 than in 1994.

I find these topics and endless discussions on body appearance here very toxic (that's why i left once). That said because you want answers from people who were around that time :

During the Bedtime Stories era Madonna was under hormonal fertility treatment to get pregnant (cf Christopher Ciccone book) and that puts weight on the body. After Lola's birth she discovered Yoga and was heavily into it, Yoga burns body fat a lot especially on the face.

1 hour ago, FrozenYoghurt said:

I assumed this might come off as negative, but I didn't mean to be controversial. She aged very gracefully.

My main point was that she made a big transition from Something To Remember to Ray of Light. 

Maybe that's what I meant.

I don't think you came across as negative. You were just observing how much her looks changed. Some people are much more rude about her appearance I'm sure.

I think she just aged normally during those years. Lets not forget her heavy eye make-up during the BS years, that would help make someone look a little older... but I still think she looked so beautiful... and she looked even more beautiful with her more 'natural' look during the ROL years. I think it's her discovery of the joys of cosmetic procedures in the years that followed that really highlights the difference.