Hard Candy vs. Like a Prayer

12inch

Hard Candy vs. Like a Prayer  

84 members voted

1. 1. Which of these two classics records do you prefer?

• Hard Candy
    • Like a Prayer

8 hours ago, Andymad said:

WHITE HEAT I love that song. I would have taken that over Gang Bang Bang Gang Bang on MDNA tour

Oh I like White Heat too, esp live on Who's That Girl, but it's no Vogue. Perhaps I should've said Jimmy Jimmy cuz everyone hates that, right? Right???

7 hours ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

I disagree. Madonna never did an album like HC and it was a breath of fresh air after the COADF album, in which she came back to her disco roots. HC is innovative and experimental and proves Madonna ability to choose current producers at the top of their game and and still be able to push them further to achieve something totally unique and pioneering like the HC album.

I don't see anything unique and pioneering in HC tbh... Maybe GI2M because it sounds like Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" which was released in 2013, but most of the rest songs are like Timbaland previously produced songs...

1 minute ago, hydrangea said:

I don't see anything unique and pioneering in HC tbh... Maybe GI2M because it sounds like Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" which was released in 2013, but most of the rest songs are like Timbaland previously produced songs...

Miles Away and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You are pretty unique ballads with avant-gard sound and She's Not Me is a great song that could fit only Madonna. 4 minutes is the only song that sounds very Timbaland produced.

11 hours ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

Let's compare the albums:

1. Like a Prayer VS  Candy Shop
2. Express Yourself VS  4 Minutes
3. Love Song VS  Give It 2 Me
4. Till Death Do Us Part VS  Heartbeat
5. Promise to Try VS  Miles Away
6. Cherish VS  She's Not Me
7. Dear Jessie VS  Incredible
8. Oh Father VS  Beat Goes On
9. Keep It Together VS  Dance 2night
10. Spanish Eyes VS  Spanish Lesson
11. Act of Contrition VS  Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
12 Supernatural VS Voices

Lap: 5/12 
vs
HC: 7/12

Help, I actually agree with this, except for Keep It Together.

2 hours ago, Fighter said:

Help, I actually agree with this, except for Keep It Together.

um it could be a draw... for sure HC is a great album till the very last song!

Moreover, the fact alone that it produces so much contrasting reactions from the fans it proves that Madonna did her job well :Madonna003:

3 hours ago, Winn said:

Let's do it for videos now...

Express Yourself vs Give It 2 Me

GO

Not fair cuz HC got only two decent videos and even if they fuse together they would look like garbage compared to Express Yourself :bubblebitch:

Like a Prayer is an amazing and iconic album in her discography. Hard Candy is not even close to that, it's full of catchy pop songs, but that's it... It's not artistic at all. Like a Prayer gave us her most memorable songs and videos: Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Oh Father, and the non-singles are incredible as well: Promise to Try, Spanish Eyes. Also, the outro with Act of Contrition is iconic.
I see Hard Candy mediocre compared to Like a Prayer. But for itself, it's a nice album, it's just ok. I can't even think in comparing these two! 

On 3/10/2019 at 1:34 AM, Winn said:

Offer Nissim remix of She's Not Me

When is this kind of track even at the same level with anything coming from LAP? I mean guys, I know M has a huge artistic footprint and some remixes are the most enjoyable versions, but LAP is really the album that made her and what she's been for 30 years, not the other way round. 

There's actually alot of similarities to these albums. 

Divorce

Like a Prayer and Heartbeat speaking of their love of dancing and being on stage. Thats where she feels at home, she feels it in her heartbeat. 

Miles Away and Till Death Do Us Part, coming to terms with knowing your lover isn't in love with you anymore. 

Obviously Like a Prayer is more iconic and powerful, but if I have a choice... Im gonna listen to Hard Candy. I want modern electronic dancey tunes about the state of one's sugar. 

:jumpy:

On 3/9/2019 at 1:00 PM, evolution said:

There’s zero comparison. Hard Candy is garbage by comparison 

You took the words right out of my mouth - it’s like comparing vogue video to BIM video - and let’s not forget HC has the worst album cover of her entire career too - the only track I like of this album is Devil and the sticky and sweet performance is magical ?

2 hours ago, discohub said:

LAP is really the album that made her and what she's been for 30 years, not the other way round. 

Oh please, LAV is the album that made Madonna the Queen of Pop forever. After that she drastically reinvented both musically and visually with True Blue and by the end of the '80s her legacy and impact was already legendary.

Both LAV and True Blue outsold LAP btw :coffee:

19 minutes ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

Oh please, LAV is the album that made Madonna the Queen of Pop forever. After that she drastically reinvented both musically and visually with True Blue and by the end of the '80s her legacy and impact was already legendary.

Both LAV and True Blue outsold LAP btw :coffee:

That may well be true but "Like A Prayer" had better reviews than either of those albums and marked the first time Madonna was being seen as something other than just a dumb dance diva. I get the impression you're enjoying the baiting though so I won't go on :).

6 hours ago, discohub said:

When is this kind of track even at the same level with anything coming from LAP? I mean guys, I know M has a huge artistic footprint and some remixes are the most enjoyable versions, but LAP is really the album that made her and what she's been for 30 years, not the other way round. 

I said I prefer She's Not Me over CHERISH, not the LAP album, which imo is far superior to Hard Candy.

I've never liked Cherish or the video. Too cheesy.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:41 AM, Lucifer's Angel said:

Miles Away and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You are pretty unique ballads with avant-gard sound and She's Not Me is a great song that could fit only Madonna. 4 minutes is the only song that sounds very Timbaland produced.

I like both songs, but let’s be real, none of them are original or groundbreaking.  ‘Miles Away’ has been accused of being a replica of Victoria Beckham’s ‘Midnight Fantasy’ and Gwen Stefani’s ‘The Real Thing’ whereas ‘Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You’ is a direct rip-off from Justin Timberlake’s ‘Cry Me a River’. Interestingly, he is featured on the song too.

With all that said, “Hard Candy” is my guilty pleasure. Just like candy, I know it is not good for me, but I like it. :smuglaugh:

15 hours ago, kesiak said:

That may well be true but "Like A Prayer" had better reviews than either of those albums and marked the first time Madonna was being seen as something other than just a dumb dance diva. I get the impression you're enjoying the baiting though so I won't go on :).

Actually I enjoy the discussion if there is respect for different opinions :)  There is no point to discuss with you if you are so sure that LAP is the best album and whoever disagree with you must be trolling.

Obviously, it is mainly a matter of music taste since music like art is kinda subjective. Nevertheless, if LAP got such great critical acclaim then why it did not win any Grammys? Personally, I tend to ignore the critical acclaim and make my own mind about the quality of an album.

No to mention that the people who were thinking of Madonna as just a dull dance diva were totally biased. Dance music can have substance too. Take for instance Papa Don't Preach or Miles Away: great songs to dance to but at the same time very serious lyrics and strong message. Madonna proved to have artistic consistency and substance already with the LAV and TB albums. 

The cover alone of the LAV album is one of the most iconic in history. The title itself  "Like A Virgin" next to "Madonna" is a punch in the eyes for all the closed mind Christian people. It sums up Madonna in a nutshell: the religion controversy and her fearless and seductive sex appeal. Finally, that hairstyle and "Boy Toy" look impacted the lifestyle of millions of people across the Earth who tried to emulate Madonna in the '80s (the well-known Madonna wannabe phenomenon) . You may like the LAP cover, but it did not impacted the Earth as much as the LAV album. After all, it's just some jeans and everyone wear jeans...it looks like Madonna was afraid to show her brunette hairs.  

11 hours ago, Turuncan said:

I like both songs, but let’s be real, none of them are original or groundbreaking.  ‘Miles Away’ has been accused of being a replica of Victoria Beckham’s ‘Midnight Fantasy’ and Gwen Stefani’s ‘The Real Thing’ whereas ‘Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You’ is a direct rip-off from Justin Timberlake’s ‘Cry Me a River’. Interestingly, he is featured on the song too.

With all that said, “Hard Candy” is my guilty pleasure. Just like candy, I know it is not good for me, but I like it. :smuglaugh:

I think you are reaching. You can obviously recognize the touch of Timberlake and Timbaland's dark beats and on both Cry Me a River and Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You, but the latter is a ballad with a totally different chorus and melody. 
Meanwhile, Miles Away and Midnight Fantasy only got a remotely similar chorus, but again it's a reach to claim plagiarism cuz the production and overall melody is totally different. 

1 minute ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

Actually I enjoy the discussion if there is respect for different opinions :)  There is no point to discuss with you if you are so sure that LAP is the best album and whoever disagree with you must be trolling.

Obviously, it is mainly a matter of music taste since music like art is kinda subjective. Nevertheless, if LAP got such great critical acclaim then why it did not win any Grammys? Personally, I tend to ignore the critical acclaim and make my own mind about the quality of an album.

I don't really care much about critical acclaim either but one of your arguments for True Blue and Like A Virgin's superiority was the fact that they sold more. By that logic Like A Prayer is a better album than Hard Candy where it wins in both: sales and acclaim :).

Enjoy Hard Candy - I do too actually. 

The musical style of HC is very innovative as Madonna experiments different kinds of sound. The album blends with great mastery a wide variety of music styles and tastes, such as R&B, dance-pop, disco, hip-pop and trip-hop. Despite all its producers the album is very cohesive and Pharrell serves some of his best productions ever, like Give It To Me: a song/candy with a juicy disco center surrounded by a crunchy hip-pop shell.  

Overall each candy tastes differently (“Say which flavor you like and I’ll have it for you”) but they all wisely exposed next to each other and the album progression towards the end is great. Songs like Give It To Me, Beat Goes On, She's Not Me, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You or Miles Away are as experimenting and pioneering as any other Madonna classic.