Celebration... Where is the justice for M?

Sultrysully

For the life of me, I cannot understand the Celebration compilation. Below is a listing of all Madonna UK and US top 40 songs (with most well above #20).  There are also all of the dance songs that were club smashes outside of the top 40 charts.  Madonna is a global icon and  legend and we got "Celebration".  Incomplete... hacked edits... out of order...  crappy art... etc... etc... Madonna's discography deserves justice.  Huge hits in multiple decades and yet she has been largely ignored.  Michael Jackson and Prince did not have this impact on the charts or the world for 4 decades and they are revered.  WTF

1. Holiday

2. Lucky Star

3. Borderline

4. Like A Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy for You

7. Angel

8. Into the Groove

9. Dress You Up

10. Gambler

11. Live to Tell

12. Papa Don't  Preach

13. True Blue

14. Open Your Heart

15. La Isla Bonita

16. Who's That Girl

17. Causing a Commotion

18. The Look of Love

19. Like a Prayer

20. Express Yourself

21. Cherish

22. Oh Father

23. Dear Jessie

24. Keep It Together

25. Vogue

26. Hanky Panky

27. Justify My Love

28. Rescue Me

29. This Used to Be My Playground 

30. Erotica

31. Deeper and Deeper

32. Bad Girl

33. Fever

34. Rain

35. I'll Remember

36. Secret

37. Take a Bow

38. Bedtime Story

39. Human Nature

40. You'll See

41. One More Chance

42. You Must Love Me

43. Don't Cry for Me Argentina

44. Another Suitcase in Another Hall

45. Frozen

46. Ray of Light

47. Drowned World/Substitute for Love

48. The Power of Good-Bye

49. Nothing Really Matters

50. Beautiful Stranger

51. American Pie

52. Music

53. Don't Tell Me 

54. What It Feels Like for a Girl

55. Die Another Day

56. American Life

57. Hollywood

58. Me Against the Music

59. Nothing Fails

60. Love Profusion

61. Hung Up

62. Sorry

63. Get Together

64. Jump

65. 4 Minutes

66. Give It 2 Me

67. Miles Away

68. Celebration

And GMAYL and L4L after the collection.

Yeah I never understand how people make fools of themselves for Michael and Prince but not Madonna. Neither one even had memorable songs past 1995. Imagine Madonna's career fizzled out after 1995. :Madonna002:

Then came Ray of Light, MUSIC, Confessions, not to mention the top grossing tour for 2008-2009. She's still going... and people like... "eh, I like 80's Madonna". :scoff:

It does feel like a missed opportunity. I do love the artwork however and strangely enough, sequencing makes much more sense when you're listening to the vinyl version. It's difficult to create a comprehensive 2 disc greatest hits collection for an artist who had 63 Top 10 singles in UK and 38 in the USA. Some omissions however are inexcusable - Angel, True Blue, Deeper And Deeper, This Used To Be.., I'll Remember are ignored but we get Miles Away and Hollywood?

Everyone complains about Miles Away being on the tracklist but it's there because in Japan the song "became the best-selling digital single of 2008 and received music certifications from the Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ)—platinum for 250,000 PC downloads, and double platinum for 500,000 master ringtones. At the 23rd annual Japan Gold Disc Awards, "Miles Away" won three awards as "Mastertone of the Year", "Mobile Single Track of the Year" and "Online Single Track of the Year".[31] According to the RIAJ, the song has sold 681,000 digital downloads as of April 2009." (cheers Wikipedia).

If Celebration had different regionalised track lists, then Miles Away would've been replaced by a bigger UK/US hit for those releases.

2 hours ago, professormouse said:

"Mastertone of the Year", "Mobile Single Track of the Year" = really ! ?

Would it be too bloody minded if Madge sung about A Smart-Watch ?
Travel, Time & Phones are constants ??

Miles Away was a genuine hit outside of the US.  We were too busy streaming pop and R+B records that were as "good" as a broken condom.  Miles Away over what has passed as pop art over the last decade and a half.  100% on this observation.

4 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

Miles Away was a genuine hit outside of the US.  We were too busy streaming pop and R+B records that were as "good" as a broken condom.  Miles Away over what has passed as pop art over the last decade.  100%

It's one of her better-est new tunes.
I have sung it 'at' people I never thought Fans of her and was surprised how often you'd get a 'miles away' sung [in time !] back the way....
"You ran around with every girl in town...", used to get an "Uh Huh...Oooh Hoo...", the same years ago. :thinker:

9 hours ago, WhitePanda said:

Everyone complains about Miles Away being on the tracklist but it's there because in Japan the song "became the best-selling digital single of 2008 and received music certifications from the Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ)—platinum for 250,000 PC downloads, and double platinum for 500,000 master ringtones. At the 23rd annual Japan Gold Disc Awards, "Miles Away" won three awards as "Mastertone of the Year", "Mobile Single Track of the Year" and "Online Single Track of the Year".[31] According to the RIAJ, the song has sold 681,000 digital downloads as of April 2009." (cheers Wikipedia).

If Celebration had different regionalised track lists, then Miles Away would've been replaced by a bigger UK/US hit for those releases.

I love Miles Away but the above argument doesn't stick when you had songs that were bona fide smash hits EVERYWHERE and were omitted. 

Ugh, "Celebration" makes my blood boil. Someone asked about how many CDs would all of her singles use up... Well I made a topic for that specific thing (with download links!), and it turns out that we need five discs for all of her singles, including the "Evita" stuff and the occasional regional single such as "Spotlight". Compilations aren't just for non-fans, we fans enjoy them too, and that's precisely why the fuck-up hurt so much. A casual might not notice the errors and glitches, but someone who's waiting for the original single version of "Like a Prayer" to finally take its rightful place instead of the Immaculate version will be waiting for a long long time.

I can't believe True Blue and Causing a Commotion weren't included on it. if this album was someone's introduction to Madonna then they would be missing out on some of her biggest hits. I agree that it should've been in order. I'm sure they wanted to make it musically cohesive but it just seems messy in my opinion. I know that someone could just go and listen to those songs separately or create their own playlist of her songs--which is made especially easier with streaming--but it'd be more convenient to have them all, in order, on one album.

A good thing that can be said about this album is that Who's That Girl was included.

58 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

Was that justice? Or was that some kind of punishment? It was good live, but as a track on its own it is well below her standards.

R u sarcastic? The punishment was clearly ignoring Revolver and make a music video for Celebration :Madonna003:

Revolver is a colossal bop and it would have easily smashed the charts. I'd pick up Revolver over Holiday, Borderline, Cherish, Rain, Secret or I'll Remember any day :laughing:

First of all, bashing Michael Jackson and Prince, or any other artist while asking for justice for Madonna, is not really okay. And this has nothing to do with gender. Also claiming they “did not have hits past 1995” is simply ignoring hits like ‘Earth Song’ (UK #1), ‘They Don’t Care about Us’, ‘Blood on the Dance Floor’ (UK #1), ‘You Rock My World’, and ‘Love Never Felt So Good’ and the fact that MJ was allowed to release just one studio album after 1995 while he was alive (I really do not listen to Prince, so I don’t know about him.). It is that people are idolizing and  adoring them for their timeless hits. Just like Madonna will always be loved and seen as an idol despite not having a hit for more than a decade.

As for “Celebration”, well... We talked about it many times. It is a joke. Its regular edition should have been a two-disc edition with ‘Everybody’, ‘Burning Up’, ‘Hollywood’, and ‘Miles Away’ replaced with ‘Rain’, ‘You’ll See’, ‘American Life’, and ‘Give It 2 Me’, and the deluxe edition should have consisted of three discs with ‘It’s So Cool’ or ‘Broken’ as a third “new” song.

2 hours ago, Turuncan said:

First of all, bashing Michael Jackson and Prince, or any other artist while asking for justice for Madonna, is not really okay. And this has nothing to do with gender. Also claiming they “did not have hits past 1995” is simply ignoring hits like ‘Earth Song’ (UK #1), ‘They Don’t Care about Us’, ‘Blood on the Dance Floor’ (UK #1), ‘You Rock My World’, and ‘Love Never Felt So Good’ and the fact that MJ was allowed to release just one studio album after 1995 while he was alive (I really do not listen to Prince, so I don’t know about him.). It is that people are idolizing and them for their timeless hits. Just like Madonna will always be loved and seen as an idol despite not having a hit for more than a decade.

As for “Celebration”, well... We talked about it many times. It is a joke. Its regular edition should have been a two-disc edition with ‘Everybody’, ‘Burning Up’, ‘Hollywood’, and ‘Miles Away’ replaced with ‘Rain’, ‘You’ll See’, ‘American Life’, and ‘Give It 2 Me’, and the deluxe edition should have consisted of three discs with ‘It’s So Cool’ or ‘Broken’ as a third “new” 

Madonna has had hits in the last decade.  Celebration (2009), Give Me All Your Luvin' (2012), and Living for Love (2014).  And you are dead wrong about M not being victimized by sexism.  Nobody ever bitched about Michael Jackson or Prince needing to retire, despite the hits still coming and massive tours.  Madonna carries a lot of records that men once carried and she is largely dismissed as something less than she is.  Listen or relisten to Madonna's Billboard Woman of the Year speech.  Did she lie?  Was she confused?  I think not.  As for Prince and Michael Jackson's record of hits, I maintain that Madonna was far more consistent over the four decades.  I am not sure who said that there were no hits for the two after a certain date but I do know that Madonna did not speak and fade after Vogue in 1990.  

1 hour ago, Sultrysully said:

Madonna has had hits in the last decade.  Celebration (2009), Give Me All Your Luvin' (2012), and Living for Love (2014).  And you are dead wrong about M not being victimized by sexism.  Nobody ever bitched about Michael Jackson or Prince needing to retire, despite the hits still coming and massive tours.  Madonna carries a lot of records that men once carried and she is largely dismissed as something less than she is.  Listen or relisten to Madonna's Billboard Woman of the Year speech.  Did she lie?  Was she confused?  I think not.  As for Prince and Michael Jackson's record of hits, I maintain that Madonna was far more consistent over the four decades.  I am not sure who said that there were no hits for the two after a certain date but I do know that Madonna did not speak and fade after Vogue in 1990.  

None of those songs were “hits”. If we are gonna take charts into consideration, I can give you even more “hits” from MJ, even after his death. And again, he was not even allowed to make albums due to lies and all those trials. This makes his chart numbers even bigger.

I am not saying Madonna lied. I am saying the comparison you made was pointless.

On the other hand, there are different concepts of discrimination when it comes to sexism. Imagine Michael kissing Justin Timberlake and Usher on the mouth in front of millions on an awards show like Madonna did in 2003. They would have been labeled as “faggots” ever since, which none of Madonna, Britney, and Christina suffered.

For longevity and consistence, again no. Michael’s and Prince’s careers were longer than Madonna’s when they died. Michael started making #1 records in early ‘70s with his brothers. This makes five decades when you take his posthumous albums and singles. And in his lifetime, none of MJ’s albums flopped the way “Erotica” or “American Life” did.