Happy 14th, Drowned World Tour!

groovyguy

Posted Image

Start date June 9, 2001 End date September 15, 2001 Setlist

• [*]1 . Drowned World/Substitute for Love [*]2. Impressive Instant [*]3. Candy Perfume Girl [*]4. Beautiful Stranger [*]5. Ray of Light [*]6. Paradise (But Not for Me) [*]7. Frozen : "Open Your Heart" Swell [*]8. Nobody's Perfect [*]9. Mer Girl (Part 1) [*]10. Sky Fits Heaven [*]11. Mer Girl (Part 2) [*]12. I Deserve It [*]13. Don't Tell Me [*]14. Human Nature [*]15. The Funny Song [*]16. Secret [*]17. Gone [*]18. Don't Cry for Me Argentina (Instrumental) [*]19. Lo Que Siente la Mujer (What It Feels Like for a Girl) [*]20. La Isla Bonita [*]21. Holiday [*]22. Music

Yeah, I remember a lot of fans and non-fans bitching about the fact she didn't play enough "oldies".  Please!! She hadn't toured for so long. She had a lot of territory to cover. I think Re-Invention made up for that, but then fans bitched about that tour. *smacks head in bewilderment*.

Loved "Drowned World Tour". A lot of artists started modeling their shows after this one.

I actually love the set list. Just wasn't too crazy about the choreography. At the time I felt she was on the guitar a little too much. But vocally, she was spot on. Maybe because I play guitar now, I find myself enjoying this show much more than when I saw it live then.

But it makes sense why she was "on guitar a little too much". Before this tour, we never saw her behind an instrument. She wanted to show the world she can play guitar. I can see why she feels it's important even now, to show that she is quite versatile on stage anymore. I personally love the songs on various tours that followed where she just rocked out with the guitar.

I love the Drowned World Tour, I remember watching it on HBO the day it was broadcast. I was fascinated by the stunning costumes and stage presence. Undoubtedly, it is the tour that set the standards for what it would come later. The only bad side was her look, she look exhausted by the time she got to the US. The same look she had during Swept Away which was awful :Madonna015: Anyways, the audio of the show was always broadcast on radio specials so I have fond memories of the whole show, the order of the songs and how well they were chosen. It also had that darkness that we didn't see again til the MDNA Tour, the theatricals and stuff. RIT was dramatic too but more light-hearted.

Saw this in Paris and then London a couple of nights later. One of my favourite tours - I think the whole show has such character. It captures a little something that may have been lost in light of the huge stadium, record-breaking heights of S&S and MDNA.

I have fond memories of those crappy videos online of opening night :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I hadn't watched this for a long time, literally years but I watched it the other night and I loved it so much. I had forgotten that every song is sung live, I know it doesn't matter to some people but I really do prefer to hear her sing  rather than lip synching. I don't care about out of breath or wobbly vocals, it feels more real to me.

I LOVE this show so much. So uncompromising, raw and beautiful. It really feels like an art installation. I watched the HBO broadcast in 2001, feeling nervous beforehand, not knowing what to expect from her after 8 years of not touring and I remember having the chills when she arrived on stage, all attitude. That show completely blew my mind and is still one of my favourite tours of Madonna. I also thought it was great at mixing the electronic music she was making at that time with live feel (that percussion in Impressive Instant!). Also, that performance of Music with the hard, minimal choreography hasn't been topped since then in my opinion. 

"Madonna Live! Drowned World Tour 2001" was recorded at The Palace of Auburn Hills in Auburn Hills, Michigan on August 26, 2001 and was originally broadcast live on HBO as Madonna Live! Drowned World Tour 2001. It was seen by 5.7 million viewers.

Drowned World Tour 2001 was captured with a 14-camera High Definition shoot. It is presented in an aspect ratioof 1.33:1 on the single-sided, double-layered DVD; due to those dimensions, the image was not enhanced for16:9 televisions. The set list for the show consisted mainly of songs from her studio albums Ray of Light andMusic. Among her pre-1990s hits, only "Holiday" and "La Isla Bonita" were added to the set list. Drowned World Tour 2001 became Madonna's fifth number-one release on the Billboard Top Music Videos chart, and achieved platinum certification there, as well as Australia, Brazil, France, and the United Kingdom. 

Posted Image

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...