Material Girl vs Like A Virgin Videos

Voguerista

While "Like A Virgin" tends to be much more original, the video for "Material Girl" was pure genious. No one expected that from Madonna at the time, even though she was fairly new on the scene at this time. "Material Girl" gave us a glimpse of what was to come especially regarding image change.

• 3 years later...

if it wasn't for the amazing video material girl. no one would even know marilyn monroe. Unless they have parents or family that lived in that era. Its a amazing video and madonna dances & sings really good in it. I found out marilyn when she did diamonds are a girl's best friend. They had to do trick camera to make it seemed like she danced good. if i'm wrong please forgive me. I am so addicted to 1962 of marilyn that its hard to keep up with era's i didn't care for.  IMO

Oh no, with all due respect, I have to disagree.  Marilyn Monroe was very well an iconic status by the time Material Girl came out, much like Elvis.  While younger generations like me at the time, may have not known her so well, I do recall for years before MG was released  Marilyn Monroe was very well known still, and like Elvis, had much memorabilia selling throughout the world.

@@Liam i'm like you then i knew who marilyn monroe was way before material girl. I love all era's of madonna. While alot of marilyn monroe fans get mad at me for loving 1962 only. the first book i got when i  was little was the first bert stern the complete last sitting. And i was broke and had to sell it and it was actually the first version. But then i finally got it again before bert stern died so it was reasonable. I had a anut that actually was alive when marilyn was popular. The first thing i asked when i was probably 7 or 8 to play the marilyn monroe album she had and always wanted to play barbies with my cousin the one that looked like marilyn. Also i always ask people what it was like when marilyn sang happy birthday mr president seeing her on tv. To me MG was just amazing madonna was so beautiful in all era's. There's a few fans that never knew who marilyn monroe was until they saw Material Girl.  one that is really a diehard fan of marilyn's due to madonna's material girl. http://www.marilynmonroe.ca

Oh, I see what you mean.  I guess though we could say that about many major stars from the past.  I know that many fans gasp and seem stunned when they hear some people who don't know who Madonna is (mostly younger generations), but the fact is, the older some of these iconic stars get, or the further away we get from their demise, the chance for younger generations not to know who these iconic figures are.  I know plenty of grade school and junior high school kids who have no idea who Madonna is.  They may have seen her or heard of her, but never registered it as any huge importance or think she is anyone significant to remember. Again, (even to me) to most fans, that sounds blasphemous (LOL!), but not everyone follows pop culture so closely to know those iconic figures or know how much of an impact they were.  I'm sure I know very little of or don't know some of the famous people before my time still or at least don't realize the impact they had at the time of their peak.  Each new generation seems to toss aside older generations interests like it was nothing.  Madonna isn't an exception to that unfortunately.  I also know people who don't know or know very little of Elvis, The Beatles and Michael Jackson as well.  It certainly seems insane to think that's possible, but it is... especially not understanding how iconic they are.

if it wasn't for the amazing video material girl. no one would even know marilyn monroe. Unless they have parents or family that lived in that era. Its a amazing video and madonna dances & sings really good in it. I found out marilyn when she did diamonds are a girl's best friend. They had to do trick camera to make it seemed like she danced good. if i'm wrong please forgive me. I am so addicted to 1962 of marilyn that its hard to keep up with era's i didn't care for.  IMO

dotreaction004.gif