Madonna Live in Miami December 2, 2016

Future Lover

It's a slow news day yet somehow this show has barely any coverage despite even speaking at the press/pundits during the show. Is that a good thing? I think/hope she knows that so many people are proud of her for the attention she has brought to many causes over the years.

TOAC has a variety show vibe which is awesome, I wish M would consider doing another with guests musicians that can allow her a moment to breathe, a smile in a tricky moment, to dance upon etc. Her band, used loosely, was a bit of a strange choice.

I think this was just for fun, like the first one. I didn't feel in her some kind of obligation to sound perfect with a sharp voice on tune, she was having fun and was looking gorg, people put too much on these TOAC shows :lord:

I, word for word, 100% agree.

I would usually say, and I have, that I prefer her lower energy performances because she tends to have better vocals. The vocals, ok, weren't absolutely perfectly perfect. If the album vox (at altered pitch) wasn't playing behind her live voice, I probably wouldn't have even thought too much about it at all, TBH. But I give it to her for giving energy and passion.

The rehearsal of AL was great, as she was just singing the song. When the time comes and she's on stage, actually live with an audience, I think, even with these slower paced songs, that she's feeling the atmosphere and the crowd being there and get's caught in the moment and just really goes for it. I can't be mad or negative for giving her all.

So yeah, vocals not 100% absolute on point, but I don't really care. I feel her energy and passion when I heard the songs (I've listened in the car, not watched yet), even though I've not actually watched it.

A highlight was Toxic, which didn't have an album vocal in the background and it was a really good, different rendition. And Beautiful Stranger? You coulda knocked me down with a feather! I honestly didn't see that coming, but am beyond happy it was. What a gem. She might not have been perfect but who hive's a shit when she unearths an old song that she's not sang live properly (excluding request section of S&ST and wasn't it done on RHT?) since 2001. I'm all for her digging out the kind of forgotten songs and can live with slightly off vocals if she does that. 😊

BTW, I think I probably look more favourably on the two TOAC shows against her recent main tours as the setlists play the songs I really want to hear more. I guess I'm more forgiving to these shows and any flaws they might have. I think I prefer her more understated, melancholy, introverted songs generally than her more upbeat ones and these shows were lovely for me and really showcase as she says, "oldies but goodies". And TBH I'm no fan of the last album at all, so the RHT wasn't really right up my street, and I probably am subconsciously extra negative or not so open to liking the bits I have heard recorded live from the shows. But I'm gonna watch the show online as it airs or after to watch it in a great quality and probably with some audio editing and see if the tour grabs me (it'll be new to me as I've only seen segments) and maybe I'll gain an appreciation for some of the RH songs?

Well, having watched and re-watched, here’s what I made of last night’s performance.

Madonna's shows are often criticized for being over-rehearsed and lacking spontaneity. Fans have derided the over-editing and re-recorded vocals on the Sticky & Sweet and MDNA tour DVDs. But based on yesterday’s concert, I completely understand why she’d prefer to re-edit her ‘live’ shows, post-fact.

We’re all fans here, so we can and should be honest – it clearly wasn’t perfect. Yes, her voice was off-key and she did cough more than once, so I don’t think we heard the best of her. Yes, the backing track was far too loud, but perhaps the audio in person was better than the Facebook feed suggests. But that said and all forgiven, I found the in-between-song banter quite messy and awkward. Doing stand-up well, requires an ability to read the room. You need focus, carrying the audience with you, building the momentum; but she was too easily distracted, meandering off topic, killing the joke in-progress. Mean and bossy Madonna makes sense in big stadium and sports arenas, where defiance and aggression are a prerequisite required to rise above the roar of a deafening crowd. But this show needed warmth and charm, when the audience’s silence, screamed so much louder than their applause.

I commend the set-list; there was clearly thought and purpose. It was personal, political and topically relevant. Toxic was an obvious highlight, commanding an artistry far beyond Britney; but in-total, I came away feeling underwhelmed and disappointed.

As a big-thrill, high-energy showgirl there is none better than Madonna. I’ve seen her over 20 times since 2001, spending thousands of pounds, traveling around the world to see her. But the would-be intimacy of this show required a discipline, she hasn’t yet mastered. We’ve seen her humor-in-action on Jimmy Fallon and Amy Schumer’s shows, but each time, the response has been less than favourable. Perhaps her comedy is an acquired taste waiting to be discovered; but for now, I can see the direction she wants to go, but upon the evidence, Tears of Clown Melbourne and Miami both suggest she’s still stuck in the development phase.

She was mostly "aggressive" to the guy that kept ruining her jokes because he knew them from TOAC 1. LOL It was annoying tbh

I've seen comedians on TV, then saw them live in an intimate show where they retold some jokes. That's what happens. I knew some of the jokes but it's like I was hearing them for the first time when I saw them live. And I would definitely, never ever shout out punch lines if I'd heard them before. It would deffo ruin it for the performer, but also the rest of the audience.

It's not exactly the same, but when I saw CT live, when she did Erotica and broke into the demo lyrics (You Thrill Me), I carried on singing along at first as I knew the lyrics and tune. Everyone around me stopped singing as they obviously had never heard those parts. I stopped shortly after as I felt people looking at me and I did feel awkward as though people felt i was showing off lol but also because I didn't think everyone else would want to hear me singing along to these rarely heard vocals over being able to hear M singing them. It's different when everyone's singing along.

As I said already, I love the idea, the song selection, the beautiful imperfections.

Of course, as @@tajybajyboo said, she is not a comedian, so she can master a stadium better than a small venue in a certain way.

But this time the mix between improvised and rehearsed was very good imo.

I still believe she needs a better musical director.

No more backing tracks and double voice please! Makes everything sound like unprofessional karaoke.

Still, listening back to the audio, forr the first time I heard Kiley and Niki's voice in Don't tell me, Express yourself and Holiday. Very different from the album vocals, and from Niki and Donna, so when they sing for real you notice it. I wonder what they have done in RHT...

I mean she coughed mid performance so Im thinking maybe she has a cold or something. But you also have to consider the stream was mono, low quality, and with no compression, heavy backing tracks probably because of voice problems and there was some phasing issues because of the mono mix. It was VERY raw and we are not used to hearing that kind of straight feed from any singer. I really don't think it was as bad as some people are making it out to be. It just wasn't as strong as the australian show, but the look was 10 times better and her booty on point so whats the big deal. :thinker:  :thinker: omg people are such a bummer, we are lucky we even got to see it. 

I don't know if it's just me I don't really think Madonna is good at stand up comedy. I don't find the jokes that funny JMO I guess.

Everyone's sense of humour is different, some people will hate it, others love it and people will fall everywhere in between. But, yeah, I don't think telling jokes as a stand up is really her forte.

She is incredibly intelligent, witty, and naturally funny which comes across in interviews throughout her career, but in terms of actually performing jokes as a kind of stand up, it doesn't really work, for me anyway.

Stand up is hard though and it's not something just anyone can do. I've even seen comedians on TV which are really funny in a tv situation, but then watch them live in stand up and it just bombs. And these are actual comedians who can't always pull it off. It's a very special kind of talent to do joke telling to an audience and being funny with it, as opposed to relaying funny stories or replying in a witty and humourous in an interview. But she likes to cast her net out and try different things, which I do actually admire, even if some of things she tries don't work out that great. You never know 'til you try I guess.

As I said already, I love the idea, the song selection, the beautiful imperfections.

Of course, as @@tajybajyboo said, she is not a comedian, so she can master a stadium better than a small venue in a certain way.

But this time the mix between improvised and rehearsed was very good imo.

I still believe she needs a better musical director.

No more backing tracks and double voice please! Makes everything sound like unprofessional karaoke.

Still, listening back to the audio, forr the first time I heard Kiley and Niki's voice in Don't tell me, Express yourself and Holiday. Very different from the album vocals, and from Niki and Donna, so when they sing for real you notice it. I wonder what they have done in RHT...

True but i really enjoyed this funky stripped down version of Express Yourself, cough and all  :lol:  :angel:

I mean she coughed mid performance so Im thinking maybe she has a cold or something. But you also have to consider the stream was mono, low quality, and with no compression, heavy backing tracks probably because of voice problems and there was some phasing issues because of the mono mix. It was VERY raw and we are not used to hearing that kind of straight feed from any singer. I really don't think it was as bad as some people are making it out to be. It just wasn't as strong as the australian show, but the look was 10 times better and her booty on point so whats the big deal. :thinker::thinker: omg people are such a bummer, we are lucky we even got to see it.

I agree. I really enjoyed hearing it. It's not perfect vocally, I think we've touched on some of the technical reasons, but I enjoyed it none the less. And I give her props for letting the outside world in.

Everyone's sense of humour is different, some people will hate it, others love it and people will fall everywhere in between. But, yeah, I don't think telling jokes as a stand up is really her forte.

She is incredibly intelligent, witty, and naturally funny which comes across in interviews throughout her career, but in terms of actually performing jokes as a kind of stand up, it doesn't really work, for me anyway.

It is a little bit like her acting: she is a wonderful actress in her music videos and on stage, but when it comes to proper acting (see The next best thing or Swept away) she is not convincing.

She is always very bright and funny but when she tells a joke once again she is not convincing.

Stand up is hard though and it's not something just anyone can do. I've even seen comedians on TV which are really funny in a tv situation, but then watch them live in stand up and it just bombs. And these are actual comedians who can't always pull it off. It's a very special kind of talent to do joke telling to an audience and being funny with it, as opposed to relaying funny stories or replying in a witty and humourous in an interview. But she likes to cast her net out and try different things, which I do actually admire, even if some of things she tries don't work out that great. You never know 'til you try I guess.

that's true! I like that she's open to trying new things. I guess people that have been comedians there entire life comes easier to them. I think she's funny when she's not trying to be funny. LOL but that probably doesn't make any sense to anyone.

True but i really enjoyed this funky stripped down version of Express Yourself, cough and all  :lol:  :angel:

Yeah that's what I meant with beautiful imperfections! Loved to hear a live rendition of Express yourself, despite the strange lowered backing tracks. And I loved to hear Niki and Kiley singing for real on that song!

It is a little bit like her acting: she is a wonderful actress in her music videos and on stage, but when it comes to proper acting (see The next best thing or Swept away) she is not convincing.

She is always very bright and funny but when she tells a joke once again she is not convincing.

I really thought her acting was good in Swept away better then TNBT I liked her cold bitchiness acting and the very last scene in the airplane was good, although the ending was so sad. :(

Comedy is sooo subjective. Literally every successful comedian out there is labelled a terrible comedian all the time. Just look at comments on stand up specials on Youtube.  I think it's probably one of the most subjective art forms out there.

I found her funnier when she did the Fallon stand up show than the TOAC shows though.

It was refreshing to see her more purposefully awkward and self deprecating, cos thats when she's funniest in interviews, etc. So that worked for me better than the TOAC humour which is like a bit preachy or something...