Unfair attacks on Madonna

NowRadiate

Radio One Did What To Madonna? Are We Living In An Ageist Society?
By The Gay UK, Feb 20 2015 03:14PM
As eternal gay icon Madonna prepares to launch her new album Rebel Heart, she’s on a promotional trail that includes interviews and performances at events such as the Grammy’s and the upcoming BRIT Awards. I’m looking forward to the new album and will no doubt mince along to the shops to buy it when it’s out, but I’m also finding myself becoming increasingly annoyed that it seems to be en vogue to hold ageist attitudes about Madonna.

The great lady probably doesn’t care that people are being ageist towards her (B**ch, she’s Madonna), but form my point of view it’s quite disgusting. I haven’t managed to watch Madonna’s recent Grammy's performance, but when looking on Facebook I saw lots of statuses and comments about Madonna needing to ‘put it away’ and act her age. To be honest I’m not really sure how a 56-year-old should be acting. Surely as long as Madonna is happy and not doing any harm, she can behave however she wants to. In fact I applaud Madonna for being so carefree and doing what she wants. I hope I’m just as ballsy when I reach 56.

The latest act of ageism comes in the form of a story from the Daily Mail that Radio 1 have banned Madonna songs from their station. Radio 1 have since denied the accusations, stating that they individual songs on their merit and relevance to the station’s target audience. The Radio 1 spokesperson also stated that they do include older artists on their playlist and gave Paul McCartney currently being featured as an example.

While I understand the statement that Radio 1 made, I would like to ask them whether they can give an example of an older female who is currently on their playlist or has been in recent times. I can’t think of any and the Paul McCartney example is pretty much void as he is only on the playlist because he features on a Rihanna song. If Paul McCartney was releasing a song that only he features on, I don’t think he would even be considered for the Radio 1 playlist.

Although the Radio One refutes the Daily Mail story, it does raise questions about the prevalence of ageism and sexism. Ageism remains a big issue in society and is often coupled with sexism when you consider the amount of women who are mocked for ‘looking old’ or not ‘acting their age’. I can’t think of any males who face the same treatment.

When it comes to Madonna being a victim of ageism, I doubt she cares, but I think Shirley Manson from Garbage summed it up best when she said the following in a 2012 interview with Bullet Media:
“The tabloids complain about Madonna looking old, and people laugh at her for that. Then Madonna goes and fixes her face, and they laugh at her for that. Even though they begrudgingly say she looks amazing, they’ll still laugh at her for trying to look young. Then she steps out, looking amazing, and the tabloids go and blow up a picture of her aging hand. Nobody’s doing that to George Clooney, blowing up pictures of his hands! I look at these magazines, and I want to say to them, ‘What’s your point? That she’s aged? Does that surprise you? Or is your ‘point’ an attempt to undercut what she’s achieved?’ I think it is, even if it’s on a subconscious level. … And you probably wouldn’t turn down those hands if they were grabbing you under the table, you f**king idiots!â€

Somebody like Madonna will always "have" it.

Seeing her age next to a great article is a positive thing. That's an attempt to overcome ageism.

Our societies are far from understanding that we need to liberate ourselves from many things we have been conditioned to believe about age (, ethnicity, sexuality, gender; you name it).

• 2 weeks later...

Madonna's not too old to rise again

http://www.samesame.com.au/features/12009/Madonnas-not-too-old-to-rise-again

These days, it seems that everyone’s hating on Madonna. Her relevance, her appearance, her use of social media, her musical output – whatever she does gets harshly criticised.

One common thread to all of the flak she is copping seems to inevitably come back to one thing. Her age.

“It’s still the one area where you can totally discriminate against somebody, and talk shit,†she told Rolling Stone magazine. “Because of their age. Only females, though. Not males.â€

While Madonna’s age (56) has undeniably been used unfairly in attempts to denigrate and ridicule her, I’d suggest there’s more to the story than that.

Let me start off by saying that I’m probably a mid-level Madonna fan. I followed the first two decades of her career pretty closely, the last decade not so much. I have a few of her more popular albums, and like a range of her music, both songs she’s released as singles (Justify My Love, Frozen, Music) – as well as albums cuts (Swim from Ray of Light, Nobody Knows Me from American Life and her duet with Prince from Like A Prayer).

I think Madonna’s copping the flak that she is at the moment not just because of her age – it’s because of Madonna herself. Specifically, it’s because she’s set the bar so high when it comes to innovation and reinvention, and it seems that at the moment she’s not matching those high expectations that she has set.

The best way to test this theory is by taking a look back at Madonna’s career. Because you see, this isn’t the first time that Madonna’s career has seemingly gone into freefall. She’s been called a has-been and her career has been derided as being over several times before.

The first and most notable time Madonna struck the proverbial skids was in the early ‘90s. After debuting in the pop music scene in 1983, Madonna enjoyed an unparalleled and unprecedented ascendance to the top of the game. She became the undisputed Queen of Pop due not only to her musical output between 1983-1990/1, but also because of the way she did it.

Yes, the music was consistently solid, but it was the way she delivered it and presented herself that really stood out. Firstly, her looks. They changed at least yearly (compare the stark contrast of 1985’s rebel/punk Like A Virgin aesthetic to 1986 True Blue era Madonna with cropped, platinum blonde hair).

Sometimes, her look changed with each new music video she released. Each time, it was something new, unique and bold. Look at her three successive singles – Like A Prayer, Express Yourself and Cherish – to see how much and how quickly she changed her style.

Secondly, she courted controversy unapologetically. Remember this was the ‘80s, so people’s shock thresholds were lower than they are today. Madonna writhing around on stage in a wedding dress at the first MTV awards in 1985, was the equivalent of the Miley Cyrus/Robin Thicke performance a few years back. People were stunned.

Thirdly, she had something to say on many issues. These ranged from feminism, sexism, AIDS, interracial love and gay rights, long before gay rights reached the level of mainstream acceptance they currently have. This revealed a depth to her not just as a performer, but also as a person. She couldn’t simply be dismissed as ‘just a pop starlet’, because her views, irrespective of whether you agreed with them or not, showed she was intelligent, articulate and could hold her own.

At the height of her fame in 1990-91, Madonna was seemingly unstoppable. Until it all crashed down around her. Misjudging the public’s appetite for her antics for the very first time in her career, her sex-laden Erotica album, explicit coffee table book called ‘Sex’ (which makes Kim Kardashian’s sex tape look PG) and erotic thriller film ‘Body of Evidence’ was a trifecta of badly received work.

Madonna had gone too far, she was over, she had finally stepped over the line, there was no way she’d ever come back from this… so the critics said.

For a while, it looked like they were right. Her next album, 1994’s mid-tempo R&B fuelled Bedtime Stories did OK, but not great. I remember reading a review of it at the time where the reviewer opened with something along the lines of “In a media culture that seeks to canonise the new, Madonna has made the fatal mistake of appearing old.â€

So Madonna was being called out for being old back in 1994. That’s 21 years ago, people! So, that’s one big reason why the current crop of “ageist†critique is kinda BS. She’s gone through it once and come out the other end. So if that’s all there is to it, there’s no reason she, and her career, can’t get through it again.

So how did Madonna get through it then, and what lessons can be applied from that experience to the present? Well, it wasn’t smooth sailing. Ironically, in perhaps recognising she had gone too far, Madonna toned down her image – a lot. She sang ballads, wore conservative dresses and did a ‘respectable’ film ‘Evita’ that earned her a Golden Globe.

In some ways, Madonna ‘grew up’ and started acting more ‘age appropriately’. Her career had been saved, but it was nowhere near where it used to be in her late ‘80s, very early ‘90s hey day. Perhaps this explains her hesitance to ‘grow up’ and act ‘appropriately for her age’ now. Maybe she’s chasing that elusive career high yet again?

In 1998, she had a stunning turnaround in fortunes. Conservative Madonna was replaced, or rather rebirthed, by Spiritual Madonna. Complete with Henna tattoos, an eastern spiritual philosophy and the striking sounds of the William Orbit produced album ‘Ray of Light’, Madonna was back in a big way. Massive album sales, critical acclaim and public adoration rivaled the experience of her hey day.

The Queen was back on the throne, and her reign continued with 2000’s ‘Music’ album and subsequent world tour, her first in 7 years. It was the dawn of a new millennium and Madonna started it where she belonged – on top and in control.

So if she’s managed to turn her fortunes around once, why can’t she do it again now? The answer may very well lie in the question. She has done it once already. If there’s one thing Madonna doesn’t do (to her credit) it’s repeat herself. Yet, that’s what it feels like she’s starting to do now.

For an artist known as much for her amazing ability to reinvent herself as anything else, Madonna looks like she’s going back to doing things she’s already done before. That makes her an easy target for inappropriate, and inaccurate, ageist criticisms.

Madonna is in many ways a victim of her own success. By setting the expectation for what she does so high, anytime she misses the mark, the disappointment is magnified all the more.

So what’s the answer? How can Madonna recover from this impasse in her career? Some initial signs aren’t all that promising, but all hope is not lost. Madonna needs to do what Madonna does best – reinvent herself. And she needs to do it in a way that again is her signature style, she needs to lead and ‘fucking own it’.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with still being sexual, attractive, provocative or controversial at 56. It’s just that trying to appear something that you’re not (i.e. 26) doesn’t do anyone any favours. Why can’t Madonna do something truly inventive, like come up with a style and aesthetic that shows the beauty and grace that she possesses in a way we’ve never seen before?

Or as well all know, she works out and is super-fit. Why not be an even bigger inspiration to millions of people around the world by sharing an insight into that side of her character? People genuinely admire that part of her, and she could really be a leader when it comes to anything fitness-related. She’s already got her own brand of gyms, after all.

Madonna is entering into unchartered territory. But she’s paved the way on so many other things for a whole new generation of pop stars that have followed her, she could be doing the same thing now. After all, one day even Beyonce, Britney, Gaga, Rihanna and the like will be 56. Why not blaze the trail and set the bar high?

Be inventive, be original, be Madonna!

These articles always drive me nutsEspecially the MMADONNAS Career In Free ALL BitHow? Her new album is earning good reviews and is expected to go to #1 in every major market and the tour will be massive and MADONNA WILL Earn MORE Money THAN any other musical performer this year at the age of 56What the fuck people? I hate this misinformationAnd technically, music career wise, Madonna has NEVER hit the skids beforeHer tours have always been sellouts and EVERY album She's released has been at least certified GOLD in the USI hate this kind of misinformation

http://www.sctimes.com/story/entertainment/2015/03/07/madonna-still-ones-changed/24476903/

Madonna still the same; we're the ones who changed

Typically I devote this space to binge-watching suggestions, but I'm done with "House of Cards," and March's new streaming options aren't doing much to intrigue me, with the exception of "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt."

"Kimmy" premiered Friday, not enough time for me to watch and write (even I can't binge-watch that fast). And I'm glad "Teen Witch" is now on Netflix, but there's only so much I can say about the brilliance of the "Top That" rap.

So I write today about an artist who's been in the news lately. She's as controversial now as she was when I was 7, when I would sit in front of the TV waiting for her "True Blue" or "Isla Bonita" videos to come on.

Many of her critics said a variation of the same thing: She's over-the-top sexy, and it's inappropriate.

Flash forward 30-some years, and critics are saying the same thing. One key difference: Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone is now 56.

Madonna's newest album, "Rebel Heart," came out Friday. But the former Material Girl, as always, grabs more headlines for what she does than her music.

Rough landing

Although Madonna has never seemed to care much about "bad" publicity, the notorious perfectionist can't be too happy about one of the latest news stories: Madonna takes a big fall at Brit Awards after a cape snafu.

If you're even a casual Internet surfer, you've seen the video. Madonna walks up some stairs while performing, and she's seen trying to take off her cape. It appears the dancers pull the cape prematurely (she doesn't have it untied at the neck yet), and give Madonna a good yank as she tumbles down the stairs.

Cue a million "broken hip" jokes on the Internet. Look, Internet, that joke is way too easy. Anytime any performer over a certain age has any mishap, the broken hip jokes are as inevitable as the tides.

Madonna is far from perfect, but why figuratively kick a woman who's down? Her music may not be the same as it was 30 years ago, or you may never have liked it, but Madonna quickly got up and finished her routine. Isn't that something to still be impressed by, the consummate performer? When I bump into a coffee table, I bruise and limp for a week.

Giorgio Armani, the designer of the cape, got into the Madge-bashing. Madonna wrote in an Instagram message that her "beautiful cape was tied too tight" after thanking the designer for the outfit.

His response: "Madonna, as we all know, is very difficult. That's all there was to it."

I'm sure Armani has worked with his fair share of difficult or demanding celebs; is Madonna really the worst? She didn't blame Armani for the fall; she didn't accuse him personally of tying the cape too tightly. She didn't dump on her dancers in public, probably the easiest thing to do, although they might not be employed anymore.

Madonna has never pretended to not be fully in charge of her image and her career. One of her famous quotes: "Listen, everyone is entitled to my opinion." Many successful people — men and women — are "difficult."

'I used to like her ...'

And the "difficult" thing doesn't bother me. What bothers me are some of the ageist swipes being taken at Madonna. Go to any comment section (I know, I know, I need to stop reading them) on any Web article about her, and inevitably 60 or even 80 percent of them will be some version of this: "I used to like her, but she's so embarrassing now. She's so old. Go away."

Does she troll hard for some of these barbs? Sure, such as when she flashed the paparazzi with her bottom, covered in fishnet material, at the 2015 Grammys. This is a woman who's never been ashamed to use her sexuality for attention.

The difference now is she's, well, old — by our society's standards anyway. Yes, she's very attractive and fit, not just for a 56-year-old woman, but any woman. But she has a daughter in college. One of her first hit songs, "Burning Up," turns 32 this year, far beyond drinking age.

But while Madonna's looks/personas have changed over the years, she's still the same as she was 30 years ago: an exhibitionist who likes to provoke reactions. She's an artist, whether she's a good one or an original one is up for debate, but she is one. It was as silly for society to expect her to cover up once she reached 45; frankly, that's her business. If you don't like it, don't look, or look away fast.

There are plenty of things to get frustrated with Madonna about: her casual use of a racial slur on social media; her equating herself with Martin Luther King Jr. and Nelson Mandela with memes that promoted "Rebel Heart"; her stealing from gay culture for years (she didn't come up with "Vogue," obviously) without credit.

But to dismiss her as "old" and thus over gives the message that Madonna only had value to society when she young. That says more about us than it does about her.

• 3 weeks later...

Step aside, haters. Madonna is having the last laugh. Again

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/step-aside-haters-madonna-is-having-the-last-laugh-again/story-fnpug1jf-1227281775621

They are the kind of headlines that would make the average 56-year-old immediately consider putting down a deposit on the nearest retirement home.

“Is Madonna too old?†and “Is Madonna too sad at this point?†jostle alongside regular edicts as to how the pop queen is “washed up†and that her “career is over.â€

“At a certain point, we all must face this one, single, tragic truth,†declared pop culture website Pajiba last year, “Madonna might be just kind of pathetic now.â€

“Please retire in peace†pleaded Crushable, in one of the countless less than charitable assessments of Madonna Louise Ciccone that have dogged the latter phase of her 30-plus year career.

But as fashionable as it has become to mock the bottom-baring, stunt-pulling superstar, Madonna may just yet — once again — have the last laugh.

Despite being criticised for charging steep prices for her upcoming tour, tickets to the pop icon’s concerts have shown no sign of fan fatigue, with seats to her December show in Paris selling out within five minutes of going on sale.

Closer to home, Madonna’s latest album, Rebel Heart, debuted at the top of the Australian charts on its release earlier this month.

As Hardeep Phull recently noted in the New York Post, critics who carp about Madonna’s supposed struggle for relevancy overlook the fact that the woman who inspired a generation of copycats is not so easily cast aside.

“But in truth, young singers are still clamouring to work with the Material Girl — because in pop music, she’s still a god,†Phull wrote.

Acknowledging the staying power of a musician who has outlasted a thousand imitators, Phull pointed out that while much younger acts battle to fill stadiums, Madonna will be playing to sold-out arenas across the globe later this year.

“Not only does pop music still want Madonna, it positively needs her,†Phull concluded.

In a sign that the haters’ open season on Madonna might be drawing to a close, The Atlantic’s Spencer Kornhaber also found some kind words for the music veteran in a recent review.

“If her attempts to keep pushing boundaries don’t quite work out this time, if she hasn’t had a bona fide hit in eight years, that’s okay. She’ll keep working.â€

Not too shabby for a has-been.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-toussaint/12-headlines-wed-read-if-madonna-were-an-older-man_b_6911464.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

12 Headlines We'd Read if Madonna Were an Older Man

Madonna gets a lot of heat for behaving in a way many believe is inappropriate for a woman over 50. Men who are also "of a certain age" often behave in rebel fashion, but are usually lauded for their actions. Here, the headlines we'd read if Madonna practiced what many older men preach.

1: Harrison Ford, Private Plane Pilot. On March 5, the 72-year-old actor crashed his World War II-era plane. The story made headlines around the world, all honoring how well he managed to handle the accident and hoping for his speedy recovery.

Madonna's Headline
No longer High, Flying or Adored, Madonna Crashes on the Runway and the Charts

2: Paul Newman, Racecar Driving. An avid racecar fan, at 70 years of age, the late actor became the oldest driver in a winning Daytona team.

Madonna's Headline
B*** on Wheels: Desperate Madonna Still Thinks She's in the Race

3: Iggy Pop, Shirtless. The 67-year-old rock icon is still posing shirtless, to the admiration of fans all over the world.

Madonna's Headline
Icky Pop: GrandMadonna's Topless Photo Looks Like a Map of the Old Stars Homes

4: Tom Cruise, Fencing. In addition to doing his own movie stunts, the 52-year-old actor is a huge fencing fan.

Madonna's Headline
Right of Light Saber: Madonna Learns How to, Literally, Stab Her Friends in the Back

5: Russell Crowe, Knitting. The 50-year-old bad boy likes to knit in his spare time. Even gladiators need to get in touch with their feminine side.

Madonna's Headline
Unapologetic Stitch: Will Madonna Knit Baby Booties for Her Next Boyfriend?

6: Brad Pitt, Motorcycle Riding. Everyone's favorite Hollywood Dad, Pitt is a serious motorcycle enthusiast, even at 51 years of age.

Madonna's Headline
Motorcycle Mama's Message to Her Children: Biking Is Fine!

7: Sean Penn, Surfing. The 54-year-old actor and ex-husband of Madge stays in magnificent shape, in part by surfing.

Madonna's Headline
Drowned World: Madonna Desperately Tries to Stay Afloat

8: Johnny Depp, Owning and Island. The 51-year-old American actor resides in France and owns an island in the Bahamas.

Madonna's Headline
From British to Bahamian, Madonna's Un-American Ambitions

9: Sting, Tantric Sex. Everyone's favorite ex-teacher, Sting, 63, has been practicing Tantric sex for years.

Madonna's Headline
Chanteuse on the Loose: Madonna's Sexual Stretch Marks

10: George Clooney, Sports. The "Sexiest Man Alive," 53-year-old Clooney's an avid baseball, basketball, and football fanatic.

Madonna's Headline
No Longer in a League of Her Own, Madonna Strikes Out on the Playing Field, Dribbles in Public, and Chases After Tight Ends

11: Denzel Washington, Boxing. At 60, the two-time Academy Award winner still boxes to keep in shape.

Madonna's Headline
Former Musical Heavyweight Madonna Now Hits Below the Belt

12: Kevin Costner, Horseback Riding. The 60-year-old star is an established equestrian and does his own riding in films. Here's hoping he's always careful.

Madonna's Headline
Madonna owns... wait, she fell off her horse in 2005, leaving her with a broken hand, busted collarbone and three cracked ribs. One very popular New York Newspaper wrote it..."Madonna Falls Off Her High Horse."

... If Madonna did it, you'd read all about it.

^^^ interesting huffington article but honestly, some of the things sound far-fetched to me.i really don't buy a lot of the "a straight male would not be criticized" thing... it's not all about male vs. female.

I think they are just making some comparisons, some odd.But the fact is the men don't cop the shit that Madonna gets.