Rebel Heart Tour DVD | Showtime Premiere

Bat-Fan

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else here vocals from the "Sticky and Sweet Tour" acapella version of Like A Virgin cut into this one or is it only me? There are parts where if you listen closely you can hear that they used portions of the Sticky and Sweet Tour sing-a-long... :thinker:  :thinker:  :thinker:  :thinker:

Yes I could hear it too and mentioned it earlier on this thread or another. Someone has said they can hear bits of album vocals on another song too.

I was hoping to wait until I’d seen a seamless HD version, but finally succumbed to watching the Rutube videos. What can I say? I’m a sinner and I like it that way!

For anyone still waiting to see it, I can only echo what’s already been said, but here’s a fuller review than most.

In the plus column, the colours and image quality in this recording are amazing – much better than MDNA’s grainy Insta-crap filters. The editing is frenetic, but that’s not a bad thing, especially during Burning Up and Illuminati, which captures the insane energy of both performances extremely well. Even Messiah, which I had been indifferent too until now, picks up the pace with dramatic effect during Marvin’s solo.

There are gentler and tender moments during True Blue, Heartbreak City, and La Vie En Rose. I loooved the audience shots during True Blue, and I’ll admit I shed a tear or two. All 3 are captured beautifully, but I agree with everyone – it was a terrible disappointment to lose Love Don’t Live Here Anymore, but still include a random speech about Detroit.

The opening act is damn-near perfect, even though Devil Pray was ever-so-slightly edited, and I’d love to see Bitch I’m Madonna on Blu-ray 3D. As noted by others, it is more like a music video than a live performance, but nonetheless, it still looks awesome. I think the vocals and audio throughout are the best since the Confessions DVD. You can hear her voice, sometimes just barely over the backing track, but it sounds great and confirms she’s singing live, without needing to ‘sweeten’ the vocals as per Sticky & Sweet. Even Body Shop, which sounded ghastly most nights, fairs better here.

The problems start in the second act, firstly during her six-pack-speech watching her hair go from only so-slightly-wavy, to super-curls, to super-quiff mid-way during Deeper & Deeper. The effect is jarring. It takes you away from the moment, which is a great, great shame. By the time you get to Like A Virgin, all pretence has been lost – it’s evidently supposed to be multiple performances spliced together, rather than a continuity error, which is fine, during a performance where we’re seeing her interact with fans all around the world. I particularly liked the extended ‘see my booty get down’, which I’d had thought was too short during the live shows.

Living For Love and La Isla Bonita continued the costume-confusion managing 4 variants of the matador outfit; and I hated the fake audience cheers, during Living for Love, which was disappointing for me, because this was the performance I had looked forward to the most. That said, Dress You Up/Into The Groove were edited seamlessly, and I didn’t miss Lucky Star. Rebel Heart was a favourite, as I have a copy Ben Youdan’s album-cover collage, spinning around at the beginning of the first chorus, bought for me by my boyfriend. We have very happy memories seeing the show together in London, so it was a really great moment to relive. I really hope Take a Bow and Like A Prayer make the final DVD cut, if only to give me another reason to buy it.

The last act is so much better than I remember it. As mentioned before, Illuminati was insane. M was genuinely funny during the Music interlude and ‘will you marry me’ speech at the end of Material Girl; and Candy Shop continues to surprise me as the Hard Candy hit-that-never-was, popping up in every tour since. I hated the demo when it leaked in 2007, but I’ve loved all 3 live performances, this one possibly the most – those slut-drops are amazing!

Unapologetic Bitch is another highlight, and I’m glad they included so many bitches in the final cut, even though a few more muscle-hunks wouldn’t have gone a miss. Finally Holiday encapsulates the best of this recording – the fast, frenzied editing; the crisp vocals, the vibrant colours; and the cumulative effect of multiple performances condensed into one. It’s not a song a particularly care for, having heard it a million times before, but I concede, it really was the perfect to way to end the show.

In conclusion, this recording falls somewhere between Confessions and Sticky & Sweet, but is definitely an improvement over MDNA. Both audio and visuals are about 90% there, only falling frustratingly short by some unnecessary editing choices, when less would have achieved more. But when it’s good, it’s great. Overall, I found this tour, album, and era much more enjoyable than MDNA and Hard Candy. It was frustratingly blighted by Schadenfreude (leaks, capes and Drakes), and it’s such a shame that mainstream radio won’t embrace Madonna anymore. Their loss, but for her part, she certainly delivered. Rebel Heart is great album, buried beneath an overly-long and confused track-listing; but for the most-part, the tour and this recording, readdress that vision in an overwhelmingly positive and satisfying way.

Thank you again Madonna. You are everything. Don’t go away for too long, because the world needs you now, more than ever before.

I thought it looked weird too at first but once I zoomed in I could see there was nothing wrong. On my phone, the image is smaller and it's hard to make out the outer line of lights (edge of stage) furthest from the camera.

The lights at the edge of the stage near the camera, lead backwards and the line of lights looks like it stops (as can't make put the lights near the back too well) but what I see is a reflected line of lights along side the edge of the stage further back which gives the illusion that the stage looks like it's been edited together crooked, lol. If that makes sense. I know what I mean but don't know how to explain it lol.

A bit like:

. |

. |

. |

|

|

|

|________________

I watched it again, I confirm, they try to merge shots. Look at the "stage" in the middle of the picture... Oooh you can't because it's a fail...V8wwTrl.jpg

Theres just no need for 5 different pants in la isla. Lav is so frustrating. Detroit pffff she sure had her hands to much on this and learned nothing from mdna. Well when so many fans dislike costume changes and overediting what do you think regular people will say about that. Deeper and deeper is unwatchable and to many times the live feeling is lost

...been there front row. Totally different experience and vocals and when m is on stage shes magic you dont need the screen all the time in front. Less is more not even her mouth moving is perfect edited to the vocals. I'd prefer a live broadcast and real m. The show is beautiful enough really no need for trillion effects

You think madonna first edied the 2 hours 15 minute version and shortened it fr the broadvast or she first did the showtime cut or maybe there is just one cut. I saw want Take A Bow and Like A Prayer on the dvd

CT was edited, S&ST was edited but DVDs were full, so why can't this be the case?

Anyway appreciate what you just got, which looks awesome to my eyes and sounds lovely, definetely an improvement from the last tour TRAGEDY dvd release.

• madgefan changed the title to Rebel Heart Tour DVD | Showtime Premiere
  • madgefan pinned, pinned, pinned and pinned this topic
  • madgefan pinned this topic