Rebel Heart - Album Thread [Happy 1st Birthday!]

groovyguy

I guess that I'm one of few fans who can admit that without some input/collab from someone current in the youth dominated music world, Madonna will have a slim chance to reach the top 10 or gain radio exposure. Even if her first single is solo, a production with Pharell or Avicii will do much better than something with a less known producer. I would love to be proven wrong. Cher managed to make a huge comeback with BELIEVE. The difference is Madonna has beem more active than Cher. She's never really been away from music.

But the difference is that Cher released that single/album in 1998 when people still bought CDs... in 2014 things are quite different :suffer:

But the difference is that Cher released that single/album in 1998 when people still bought CDs... in 2014 things are quite different :suffer:

What difference does that make? Cher also got a lot of radio plays from that. She was in her 50's. Any song can explode digitally as well.

I mean, it was different back then. Female middle aged singers were still respected. Now people just laugh at them and their plastic surgeries... Look at Madonna, will she ever taken seriously again? I know it hurts but not even musically she's considered creative as she used to be... Her last 2 studio albums were light years behind other projects in terms of innovation and contribution to music in general. Confessions was good but that did not mean it wasn't just a rehash of past glories. Cher's Believe single was kind of innovative, she was able to connect to younger generations through techno... so did Madonna with ROL but I guess it's just a sign of the times. Most people won't buy a record unless it has awesome tunes they can easily relate to, take ADELE for example. Has digital explosion done anything great for Madonna? She only depends on touring these days.

Confessions was good but that did not mean it wasn't just a rehash of past glories.

what. no. blasphemy.

If anything Confessions was her Believe. And even then radio in the US didn't play her a lot because she is blacklisted. It's probably more a dislike for her than her age though in this instance.

If the music is amazing again like Confessions then she'll succeed, of course image also plays a part in this and sadly her image at the moment isn't good, but she can always turn it around, she's done it in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I love Confessions as many fans out there but I do believe a miracle and a lot of payola can save Madonna's music career. Let's be honest, her last truly creative record was American Life, all those acoustic demos that have surfaced online during the last years prove it. Confessions started her lyrical decay with all those quotes from past singles and album tracks.

I mean, it was different back then. Female middle aged singers were still respected. Now people just laugh at them and their plastic surgeries... Look at Madonna, will she ever taken seriously again? I know it hurts but not even musically she's considered creative as she used to be... Her last 2 studio albums were light years behind other projects in terms of innovation and contribution to music in general. Confessions was good but that did not mean it wasn't just a rehash of past glories. Cher's Believe single was kind of innovative, she was able to connect to younger generations through techno... so did Madonna with ROL but I guess it's just a sign of the times. Most people won't buy a record unless it has awesome tunes they can easily relate to, take ADELE for example. Has digital explosion done anything great for Madonna? She only depends on touring these days.

Got news for you, people were making fun of Cher long before she released Believe. It isn't really much different now than it was then. Most over 40 musicians especially in the pop market, do not get top 40 airplay.

Also, I don't disagree that Madonna will have a hard time getting sales and radio airplay. But let's not just say her albums since her heyday has been crap just because it doesn't sell well or she doesn't get airplay. Besides, that's subjective. I really thought a number of her songs from Hard Candy and MDNA were quite outstanding.  Name me anyone in their 50's who is getting top 40 airplay in the last several decades. Other than Cher, you'll have a hard time struggling to come up with anyone. Of course, in Europe and some other regions they aren't as ageist as they are in the U.S., but I still don't know very many 50 year olds in the pop world getting much airplay and selling millions of albums.

To be honest, I never base my music likes on how well they sell... I do think there are gems in every Madonna album, it's just that on HC and MDNA there were too many missed opportunities, all those HC fillers insert Spanish Lesson and Dance 2night here could have been replaced by several outtakes that leaked online. Same as MDNA single choices and promo which were awful and almost non-exstent... However, I always try to stay positive when a new era is coming and I aways tend to support Madonna's legacy but expectations do not always match reality, so this time I'll just wait and see what comes out from this confusing overhyped-by-fans campaign...  I may sound negative from time to time but I just try to see things the way they are, with pros and cons. That's part of my admiration's identity :Madonna029:

t let's not just say her albums since her heyday has been crap just because it doesn't sell well or she doesn't get airplay. Besides, that's subjective. I really thought a number of her songs from Hard Candy and MDNA were quite outstanding. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Confessions as many fans out there but I do believe a miracle and a lot of payola can save Madonna's music career. Let's be honest, her last truly creative record was American Life, all those acoustic demos that have surfaced online during the last years prove it. Confessions started her lyrical decay with all those quotes from past singles and album tracks.

I think lyrically she's suffered yes, but conceptually she's still on a high artistically. Her last masterpiece to me was COADF because it had all the elements, and the lyrics on that record are great.

The only thing that will save her music career is great music, and maybe freshening up her image. But I don't think we are yet in a place where we can say it's over for her, we'll have to wait and see how the next album does.

I've always thought the only way she could make a big impact as she used to in the past is by releasing an album with music that is so artsy and totally unexpected from her, that varies from sound to sound (take Bedtime Story for example), an album that really proves she's the writer of the lyrics and the one who plays at least one instrument... But sadly, truth is the opposite. We already know her new album will be invaded by tons of people and probably will be just another EDM record for the masses to enjoy til someone younger appears. It's just like Britney Spears, the gp does not think Madonna creates her own music.

I've always thought the only way she could make a big impact as she used to in the past is by releasing an album with music that is so artsy and totally unexpected from her, that varies from sound to sound (take Bedtime Story for example), an album that really proves she's the writer of the lyrics and the one who plays at least one instrument... But sadly, truth is the opposite. We already know her new album will be invaded by tons of people and probably will be just another EDM record for the masses to enjoy til someone younger appears. It's just like Britney Spears, the gp does not think Madonna creates her own music.

those who have bought her albums in the past know shes highly involved in her music. I dont care if she doesn't play an instrument in her music that's not what she's about and frankly she's not good at playing an instrument. It would just be a gimmick.

I do wish she re-invented herself and took a risk musically with something different, she is seen as a trend follower, and often a follower of trends that are on their way out, but we're just gonna have to wait and see what she comes up with the new album. Even if it is highly commercial the important thing is that it's good.

And honestly I don't think the people who matter would even dare to compare her to Britney.

Personally, I don't have expectations for Madonna. She's been doing this for about 30 years. From day one she's had a handful of people craft her music. She's always had many involved in her music. Her first album probably had least producers involved, but with each album  especially the more popular ones, many producers were involved. This idea that she hands herself over to some producer for the latest sound is BS. If that's true she would have grabbed Babyface long before as well as Timabaland and Timberlake, Pharrell, and some of the people she's working with now. Even when she nabbed Nile Rogers, he had already worked with so many people and produced a lot of hit albums and that was long before she even pursued a music career.

The fact is that Madonna is very intuiative. She may not be the person behind the instrumentation, but you can bet she's hands on with every song she records. I think some people mistake her for someone like Cher who is pretty much given music and she records it. Madonna isn't like that. She actually writes lyrics and adds input to what sounds she is interested in.

In the end, I say enjoy her while we still have her. Most artists who started when she did, are no longer around. No one cares. People still are interested with Madonna. Her image has been branded far worse than what you see now. Early 90's, I witnessed the worse. By Erotica people were bashing her left and right. Today, she is far more respected.

I would think any artist would say that of their current work. Not to say, they aren't "hot songs", but I certainaly wouldn't think someone who spent so much time with recording with anyone (such as Madonna) would come out and say, "We recorded crap songs" before anyone heard them.

I agree. It's like we're getting it right from the horses mouth. I've also noticed how Guy Oseary is nowhere to be seen during this build up of the new era. If I recall, for at least the last two albums, he's done much of the social media updating and squashing rumors and confirming info.

Thank God for that - I hope he left completely!! I'm sick to death of Oseary. She needs a new manager.

I'm baffled by the hate for Guy? He's done so much for her career than any other previous manager has. Freddy Demann, always doubted her and thought she tanked her career from day one when she performed on the first MTV AWARDS in '84. The truth is, Madonna is the one who is in charge. Her managers have simply been just a gateway to where she wanted to go. However, Guy is the one who has guided her doing far more promotion than she ever did with previous managers. He must be doing something right, because she's still one of the top female entertainers in the world. I think fans just want to blame someone or something to ignore that she isn't  commercially successful as she was.

Fans have to understand that Madonna is the one who didn't want to promote MDNA and according to Madonna herself Guy tried to get her to promote but she didn't want to. He's also the one who bitches at her for going on stage 3 hours late as he should. So he does what he can, however I don't think he has all she needs for this new industry. He was great for the 90s and the 00s, but things have changed a lot and Madonna has been stumbling. The fact her videos aren't on Youtube or that her social media introduction was derpy at best, especially Twitter, is worrying.

It's also the fact that her products have sucked lately, not artistically, but techincally. The mixing and mastering of the MDNA album and tour dvd are criminal. Same with the S&S Tour audio. People don't wanna blame Madonna and why should they, she has enough on her plate.

So I don't hate him, but Guy and M need to get their shit together. I really hope the new album is going to slay as much as some fans expect it to, because for me nothing is set in stone!

Not to repeat myself, but I don't "expect" anything from Madonna, but pure enjoyment of her music.  While there isn't another artist I follow as closely as I do of Madonna, I also don't know of any other artist who comes out with a smash hit album every time they release something, especially when they've been doing it for thirty years. I still think she's doing something right because very few entertainers that have been around as long as she has, still sells concert tickets and albums the way she still does. I think a lot of fans just don't want to admit that we live an ageist society. Unfortunately, I've accepted she will never have a hit single again unless it's tied to some other younger artist or given to some highly commerical product. I hope that I am wrong, but I don't believe with each new album she cares less about the process of making music. I think she puts a lot of creativity and effort in every album she records. I've just noticed that fans set themselves up for disappointment anymore. They love the music until the general public isn't buying it and then they scramble for excuses while it's done poorly, blaming Madonna to her manager.

30 years. I'm just happy she's still doing it. She could be comfortably retired by now if she wanted.

I was one of the fans who got caught up in the MDNA hype and thought at first it was amazing, but with a cold head, and looking back it really isn't amazzzzzzing. She's still on a creative high and the songs are good to varying degrees, but what's wrong is the way they were presented. Whoever mixed and mastered this album shouldn't be working. William Orbit agrees.

There are things within her camp that should be taken care of and one of the most important things is quality control of her products.

That has little to do with her creativity. It has everything to do with the way her creativity is presented to the world in the form of a DVD or audio releases. And also by making her vast body of work available to the public to be experienced. Celebration was a bad product and they know it now because the fans bitched enough, so why not make a deal with Warner or whoever is stopping it, to put the work on Youtube without restrictions?

It's not like people are going to go to a record store and try to find her DVDs if they wanna see that video they liked...

Every product of an Artist of her calibre should be presented flawlessly. The fans have every reason to expect that tbh. And I'm not going to blame her for it, as I said, she has enough on her plate.

So why are her products still bootlegish when the fans have bitched ever since the S&S DVD.... I really don't know.

Many fans "wants" require a lot of money put behind it. Videos alone cost a lot of money. If the artist isn't pulling much money in from the album, then they lose money. Fans who think she should go all out in promotion need to rethink that because it costs big buck to do that.  I totally understood why she went immediately went out on the road into with the last album. That's how it used to be anyway. Aritsts would release an album and than go out on the road to support it. Though, these days the concert is what is making the artist money anymore. But without the muisc, there is no concert. Madonna is hardly accepting to being a novelty act, so she will always have new music to take on the road.

I don't expect her next album will do any better than MDNA no matter how great I think it is. I agree it takes a lot of money to make an album successful, and these days you're taking a chance of going belly under if you spend too much on promotion. Madonna's lucky to have a huge deal with Live Nation. She's lucky she has the pull to draw in huge crowds still.

I still think it's going to take some huge endorsement through a huge product to get her new music exposure or she's going to head back out on the road really quickly after the album is released. The idea of someone going out on the road a year later after an album is released is insane anymore. She was able to pull it off in the past because her singles and albums sold more.