Rebel Heart - Album Thread [Happy 1st Birthday!]

groovyguy

Yup, it was perfect for the Super Bowl, perfect as a buzz single but nope, she let the audience consider it as the lead single of her new studio album after 4 fuckin years, a period of time in which the Gaga, Rihanna, Perry pop domination took place). With GMAYL Madonna was  compared to the likes of Avril Lavigne and a who? from Girls Aloud, I don't even remember her name. What is worst, I'm sure many people lost interest in the rest of the album thinking that it would be the same as the childish first single.

However, I cannot deny that the song was one of the highlights at the MDNA tour, it was energetic but it was a remix. In my opinion, it would have worked as a rock performance as well.

"Childish"? My answer to those many other people you describe is: "Would you consider "Holiday" etc to be "childish"? If not, why should releasing GMAYL be any different now than when Madonna released Holiday? Is it because Madonna is older now? Do you think she should just sing "older" and more mature songs? I think "childish" is a little extreme of a word to describe GMAYL if that is what other people were/are thinking. I rather use the word "youthful".  And there is nothing wrong with her wanting to be youthful, light hearted, and fun. That's one thing I love about her right now is she is just going for it and proving "age is not a number" no matter how hard people, her fans, etc try and bring her and her work down and/or try and control her and what she does and releases. She just does what she wants and if it's a success fine. If not, that's fine too. Atleast she's having fun.

"Childish"? My answer to those many other people you describe is: "Would you consider "Holiday" etc to be "childish"? If not, why should releasing GMAYL be any different now than when Madonna released Holiday? Is it because Madonna is older now? Do you think she should just sing "older" and more mature songs? I think "childish" is a little extreme of a word to describe GMAYL if that is what other people were/are thinking. I rather use the word "youthful".  And there is nothing wrong with her wanting to be youthful, light hearted, and fun. That's one thing I love about her right now is she is just going for it and proving "age is not a number" no matter how hard people, her fans, etc try and bring her and her work down and/or try and control her and what she does and releases. She just does what she wants and if it's a success fine. If not, that's fine too. Atleast she's having fun.

But holiday is a strong and original song, yes the lyrics are simple and fun, but everyone can relate to them. GMAYL did suffer from weak lyrics and it's not something I would want as lead single. Worse, is that it was anouced as a collaboration with Nicki and MIA and the final thing turned out to be not so different from the version that leaked months prior to the superbowl :drama:

She never went on tour a few months after her album dropped either, until MDNA! To me, that is a smart move. All this chatter from some fans that she should have waited and promoted the album more before touring, are not seeing Madonna would not have benefited from that move and most likely won't from this point on. Fans have to realize, once the album is finished, it's up to her team and whomever is backing her to make the biggest bang for their buck. They leave it to Madonna to share the creativity and music, but it's up to her team to make sure she profits big from it. It's insane to think they would spend all this money to promote, do free promotional gigs, etc, when they know she can quickly go on tour and generate much more money. Madonna is a big business. Videos alone cost a lot of money to make. An immediate tour will quickly make back money spent to record the album and any early promotion leading up to a release. Most musicians tour immediately when dropping an album, unless they are a huge act like Madonna who makes elaborate tour plans.

very well-put.

i think touring soon after the album is out is the only way nowadays. 

I will have to agree. the song was somewhat "childish". not very comparable to other "fun", light-hearted songs.

I don't get the "childish" label for GMAYL? Yes, the lyrics aren't something deep, but let's get real here. Most of Madonna's hit singles especially early on weren't very deep and had simple lyrics. They were just fun. I mean really, "Holiday", "Lucky Star", "Get Into The Groove", "Music", "Get Together", "Hung Up", and the list goes on. While GMAYL will never reach the status of those classic songs, but today if she released those songs, people would shit all over them. It seems to me once Madonna released Ray of Light, some fans think that all she writes are these deep in thought lyrics/songs.  Most popular songs are usually little substance within lyrics with a catchy groove. Also, just becausr the song was not much different from the leaked version, means nothing. If it didn't leak in the first place, you wouldn't have had the preconceived idea of what it sounded like. While it wasn't much different from the leak version, it wasn't a finished version as Madonna stated.

I don't get the "childish" label for GMAYL? Yes, the lyrics aren't something deep, but let's get real here. Most of Madonna's hit singles especially early on weren't very deep and had simple lyrics. They were just fun. I mean really, "Holiday", "Lucky Star", "Get Into The Groove", "Music", "Get Together", "Hung Up", and the list goes on. While GMAYL will never reach the status of those classic songs, but today if she released those songs, people would shit all over them. It seems to me once Madonna released Ray of Light, some fans think that all she writes are these deep in thought lyrics/songs.  Most popular songs are usually little substance within lyrics with a catchy groove. Also, just becausr the song was not much different from the leaked version, means nothing. If it didn't leak in the first place, you wouldn't have had the preconceived idea of what it sounded like. While it wasn't much different from the leak version, it wasn't a finished version as Madonna stated.

it's not so much about the lyrics than the mixture of melody/harmonies and production. granted, it was probably meant to be kind of a cheer-song resembling something from the 60s,  it does sound like a children's song; at least to me it does.

nothing to do with ray of light or the deeper lyrics on that album.

on a side note, she didn't write the ray of light lyrics, according to my knowledge:

the song is a curtis maldoon cover.

http://www.whosampled.com/cover/15352/Madonna-Ray-of-Light-Curtiss-Maldoon-Sepheryn/

it's not so much about the lyrics than the mixture of melody/harmonies and production. granted, it was probably meant to be kind of a cheer-song resembling something from the 60s,  it does sound like a children's song; at least to me it does.

nothing to do with ray of light or the deeper lyrics on that album.

on a side note, she didn't write the ray of light lyrics, according to my knowledge:

the song is a curtis maldoon cover.

http://www.whosampled.com/cover/15352/Madonna-Ray-of-Light-Curtiss-Maldoon-Sepheryn/

Yes, Ray of Light is simply a re-worked version of  Sepheryn by Curtiss & Maldoon from 1971. Youcan  hear their version here:

^^i love that song. she basically borrowed the lyrics.

She turned it into something really awesome. What really excited me about this song is that during the RAY OF LIGHT promotion, Madonna talked about how the original version they had for the album was 12 mins long. She said many of the songs they worked on started off much longer and she considered releasing an complimentary remix album shortly after RAY OF LIGHT called VERONICA ELECTRONICA. The internet was just taking off with the general public, and I remember fans begging for this to materialize back then, but it never happened.

She turned it into something really awesome. What really excited me about this song is that during the RAY OF LIGHT promotion, Madonna talked about how the original version they had for the album was 12 mins long. She said many of the songs they worked on started off much longer and she considered releasing an complimentary remix album shortly after RAY OF LIGHT called VERONICA ELECTRONICA. The internet was just taking off with the general public, and I remember fans beginning for this to materialize back then, but it never happened.

i remember that time!

i wish the project had materialized.

http://www.heloisatolipan.com.br/musica/exclusivo-diplo-incendeia-casa-fenomenal-da-nike-e-fala-sobre-seus-maiores-sucessos/

Diplo on the new album for a Brazilian website:

"But among the many unreleased songs that the producer keeps up his sleeve a group definitely stands out among the rest: those most secret album recorded for the Queen of Pop, Madonna, The 13th novel of his career.Until then, almost nothing has been confirmed about the production of the record, unless the names of alleged collaborators and partnerships that Madge is up, which were only discovered because of the Instagram of the singer, as Disclosure and Natalia Kills . The Diplo own posted pictures with the diva Mor two weeks ago in his account on the social network and, although the bottles of rosé , he says that the work flowed perfectly: "I met Madonna because of her children, then she invited me to a party. We ended up writing seven songs together, "says Diplo, talking about the project for the first time. "I do not usually feel pressured to write hits, but when is an artist of this caliber, it's obvious that I want to push the boundaries a little further and surpass me. One of the songs we wrote is very cool. It's called "Bitch, I am Madonna" ["Bitch, I'm Madonna"] , "says Diplo, showing that even with nearly 60 years, the woman still holds the pop throne and has not lost one iota of its irreverence along the way."

My issue with a track with "Bitch, I'm Madonna" if that is really true, it seems too egotistic. That can turn a lot of people off. People don't respond very well to musicians who reference them as more self important than everyone else. 

Part of me wonders if that article was made up. At least, I'm hoping the "Bitch, I'm Madonna!" is.

Madonna (like most artists) record more songs than they intend to put on the record, so they can choose which is the best of them. A lot of time in the heat of the moment, when creating new songs, a song might seem great at the time, but when you have a number of songs, you tend to weed out the songs you end up not liking the most.

"Bitch, I'm Madonna!" may very be the working title for "Unapologetic Bitch"

Btw she hashtagged #bitchimmadonna on her IG 2 weeks ago @ http://instagram.com/p/pKxnxpmEYp/?modal=true and also on May 9th with "Ratchit Ratchet Ratchit Ratchet Bitch I’m Madonna" and a pix of Diplo and MoZella in the studio. http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2013/02/25/madonna-on-instagram-all-the-pictures/21/   

The May 9th IG post was later deleted but she didn’t remove another post with Diplo and MoZella posted the same day with the tag #unapologeticbitch.

This was the deleted post:

Ratchit Ratchet Ratchit Ratchet Bitch I'm Madonna

Posted Image

Btw she hashtagged #bitchimmadonna on her IG 2 weeks ago @ http://instagram.com/p/pKxnxpmEYp/?modal=true and also on May 9th with "Ratchit Ratchet Ratchit Ratchet Bitch I’m Madonna" http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2013/02/25/madonna-on-instagram-all-the-pictures/21/   

The May 9th IG content was later deleted.

I always thought she was just joking around. Because she mis-spelled Rachet in her first post and people called her out on it.(Which she removed)

I always then assumed thereafter it was just a running joke. But hey if it's a song, that's hilarious!

Btw she hashtagged #bitchimmadonna on her IG 2 weeks ago @ http://instagram.com/p/pKxnxpmEYp/?modal=true and also on May 9th with "Ratchit Ratchet Ratchit Ratchet Bitch I’m Madonna" http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2013/02/25/madonna-on-instagram-all-the-pictures/21/   

The May 9th IG content was later deleted.

Or the other way around.... "Unapologetic Bitch" was the working title. Adter all, you mentioned just two weeks ago she mentioned "bitchimmadonna" on her IG.

I do believe that she's throwing out titles and/or lyrics to her songs she's been working on. Call it whatever you want, but to me that is building hype for her album which is working because her fan base is always chattering about everything she hashtags. Later this year, we'll compare notes and see which hashtags were really titles or lyrics to her songs.

RUMOR: Take this with a grain of salt. 
• The first single has been already chosen. It’s an energetic dance number with universal message. 
• She plans to premier the first single live on TV, probably on a award show.

Rumour or not-I like it! It's time to go back to  the traditional way of promotion after Guy O. 's idea wasn't that great at all.

As for "Bitch I am MADONNA"...don't like it at all. Sounds arrogant and will only increase a negative image.

Rumour or not-I like it! It's time to go back to  the traditional way of promotion after Guy O. 's idea wasn't that great at all.

As for "Bitch I am MADONNA"...don't like it at all. Sounds arrogant and will only increase a negative image.

You do know that Guy O. try to push Madonna to do more promotion for MDNA? And as for "traditional way of promotion"... what is that exactly?

I don't like these titles at all, bitch I'm Madonna is even worse than unapologetic bitch; sounds really pretentious and "childish". Anyway, let's wait and see. I hope neither will be chosen as single :smile:

You do know that Guy O. try to push Madonna to do more promotion for MDNA? And as for "traditional way of promotion"... what is that exactly?

I think he was talking about interviews and TV performances, mini tour, like in the confessions era. But yes, it was her choice to rehearse for the tour and not do any promo, not Guy's.

Really? I don't think in this day "traditional" is best. Doing something "new" and "surprising" is best. Madonna has never been about "traditional" anyway which is one of the main reasons I love her and her work so much!!