Madonna Tours rumors/outtakes/plans etc.

rebelheartgermany

@@Stevo Although after 13 years several gems from AL were indeed performed by M at her TOAC concerts, proving AL has survived the test of time and has become a cult and beloved album among Madonna fans and even to some indie music fans.

Curiosity: in an interview made by Tribe by occasion of an anniversary of Truth or Dare (don't remember which one), the musical director of BAT told, among many things, that the setlist for the tour was the same since the early rehearsals, cause he and M had a complete idea about what the tour should present to audience. In fact, I truly believe the name of the tour is a reference to her new state of mind (at the time, of course) emerged when she filmed Dick Tracy, funnier and more relaxed than the one she had during LAP recording sessions, when she was all brunette. Because of this it has no wonder why she did question of inserting a full Breathless Mahoney section on the tour. And of course she would keep all controversy she gained during Like a Prayer music video release by creating the church section as we see. I guess she was way more confident about herself with BAT than she would feel if she had embarked on tour in 1989 with LAPWT. After all the end of Pepsi sponsorship was more than great to her, us as her fans and the world as a whole.

So the setlist would have been the same?

Blond Ambition Tour was originally called Like a Prayer World Tour and time ago I read that Madonna wanted to perform La Isla Bonita taking a shower on stage.

Actually, someone mixed those two facts up. Gaultier mentioned in an interview back then that Madonna wanted a shower on stage and that no costume would work for that. Then Madonna herself said she rehearsed La Isla Bonita. Years later, those two facts were combined in a bizarre way and have been diffused like that lol

Guest ArthurBadin

So the setlist would have been the same?

@@Bad Boy Tribe's interview with BAT's director and choreographer Vince Paterson (the one I mentioned here in the topic) implied that the setlist was always the same for Blond Ambition Tour since the early stages of rehearsals of this tour in particular (BAT). I believe Like a Prayer World Tour would have a completely different setlist since it was conceived back in a time when there wasn't I'm Breathless... even to be recorded.

After cancelling LAPWT, Madonna embarked on Dick Tracy filming.

By the way, this is the original question made by Tribe to Paterson and his following answer:

• MadonnaTribe: As every Madonna tour show, there are changes going on from the initial concept to the final production. Do you remember of a particular song or number you worked on and that didn’t make the setlist?

Vince Paterson: No, I worked with Madonna to create a songlist and show order and all of those numbers remained in the Blond Ambition show itself [italics of mine], though not all of the show is in the movie.

Source: http://www.madonnatribe.com/decade/2011/truth-or-dare-special-madonnatribe-meets-vince-paterson/

See you!

Guest ArthurBadin

Wasn't Love Profusion supposed to be in place of Material Girl?

No, @@Bad Boy: LP was first rehearsed (with that rock remix that features on Remixed & Revisited), but scrapped in favour of Express Yourself, which was originally closing the 1st section.

Then during time between American and European legs of tour it was rehearsed again (i believe it was in its original form) to replace Crazy for You, but that hadn't come to fruition (some say The Devil Wouldn't Recognize You was also rehearsed and even heard on soundcheck in some city - don't remember what one -, probably to replace Deeper and Deeper, taking its original position in the concert).

It's so strange that despite of being a single, so far it's the only song on AL that wasn't performed live on a Madonna concert.

There have been a lot of reports about songs being rehearsed for some of her tours that ended up being dropped or replaced in the end. I don't know if this topic already exists but let's discuss.

Drowned World Tour would have I Want You instead of Lo Que Siente la Mujer (according to her choreographer) and Amazing instead of either Beautiful Stranger or The Funny Song, Swim instead of Frozen and Nothing Really Matters (parts of the choreo were later used for Nobody Knows Me)

Re-Invention Tour would have I'm So Stupid, Take a Bow, Ray of Light and Dress You Up, a ballad version of Devil Wouldn't Recognize You (which was written for her musical "Hello Suckers" on which she was working on in 2003) and also I Love New York (which was also the final track on IGTTYAS)

Swim instead of Frozen and Nothing Really Matters choreography that was used for NKM....this is all Re-Invention NOT DWT.

Also Devil & ILNY on RIT....these songs I believe were written or performed during sound checks while the tour was going on not really during rehearsal phase of the tour.

@@Bad Boy Tribe's interview with BAT's director and choreographer Vince Paterson (the one I mentioned here in the topic) implied that the setlist was always the same for Blond Ambition Tour since the early stages of rehearsals of this tour in particular (BAT). I believe Like a Prayer World Tour would have a completely different setlist since it was conceived back in a time when there wasn't I'm Breathless... even to be recorded.

After cancelling LAPWT, Madonna embarked on Dick Tracy filming.

By the way, this is the original question made by Tribe to Paterson and his following answer:

• MadonnaTribe: As every Madonna tour show, there are changes going on from the initial concept to the final production. Do you remember of a particular song or number you worked on and that didn’t make the setlist?

Vince Paterson: No, I worked with Madonna to create a songlist and show order and all of those numbers remained in the Blond Ambition show itself [italics of mine], though not all of the show is in the movie.

Source: http://www.madonnatribe.com/decade/2011/truth-or-dare-special-madonnatribe-meets-vince-paterson/

See you!

But Vince came on late. Karol Armitage was the original and Madonna replaced her in late Jan early Feb 1990. So much of the show would have been put together prior to Vince coming on. So yeah I assume few changes would have occured by that point, but potentially changes were made between 1989 and 1990.

But Vince came on late. Karol Armitage was the original and Madonna replaced her in late Jan early Feb 1990. So much of the show would have been put together prior to Vince coming on. So yeah I assume few changes would have occured by that point, but potentially changes were made between 1989 and 1990.

she was working with Vince since the early part of rehearsals as you can see in the footage that was released that showed her rehearsing LAV on the bed in a studio with Vince.

Who's That Girl Tour was planned to have a concert in Spain. It would become the first date in Spain but finally it never have an end. It was planned for September and... can you imagine if this show could have been the last date of the tour and finally the one recorded and releases as "Hola España" instead "Ciao Italia"?? It makes sense, because at that point, Madonna and Spanish style was on top with "La Isla Bonita" and "Who's That Girl"... Don't you think that??

Also:

Bad Girl and Ray of Light were said to be rehearsed for RIT

Dress You Up was rehearsed for Confessions (probably the same version that was rehearsed for RIT on guitar)

Candy Perfume Girl was rehearsed for S&S but replaced with Human Nature (thank god as it would have been the same as DWT)

Waiting was to take part somewhere in the show for S&S (my guess is during the Get Stupid interlude?)

The Power of Goodbye was rehearsed on acoustic guitar but replaced with You Must Love Me

Also:

Bad Girl and Ray of Light were said to be rehearsed for RIT

Dress You Up was rehearsed for Confessions (probably the same version that was rehearsed for RIT on guitar)

Candy Perfume Girl was rehearsed for S&S but replaced with Human Nature (thank god as it would have been the same as DWT)

Waiting was to take part somewhere in the show for S&S (my guess is during the Get Stupid interlude?)

The Power of Goodbye was rehearsed on acoustic guitar but replaced with You Must Love Me

Where did u hear waiting was gonna be in the show?

No, @@Bad Boy: LP was first rehearsed (with that rock remix that features on Remixed & Revisited), but scrapped in favour of Express Yourself, which was originally closing the 1st section.

Then during time between American and European legs of tour it was rehearsed again (i believe it was in its original form) to replace Crazy for You, but that hadn't come to fruition (some say The Devil Wouldn't Recognize You was also rehearsed and even heard on soundcheck in some city - don't remember what one -, probably to replace Deeper and Deeper, taking its original position in the concert).

It's so strange that despite of being a single, so far it's the only song on AL that wasn't performed live on a Madonna concert.

Sorry but a lot of incorrect info going on around here.

MadonnaTribe confirmed Love Profusion was NEVER rehearsed. The setlist posted on the first page was simply a concept and when Madonna started to rehearse the songs, only I'm So Stupid, Dress You Up and maybe Devil... were there that did not make the final cut.

http://www.madonnatribe.com/idol_03/songs.htm

And if you have been wondering if that rumour of "Love Profusion" meant to replace "Crazy For You" during the European leg of the Tour was true, I can now tell you after chatting with a few people involved on the tour that it was not true, but I've been told the band indeed tried to convince Madonna to perform "Love Profusion" in Europe, but instead of "Nothing Fails", in a brand new acoustic version that was never managed to be rehearsed, and so we did never had the chance to enjoy it in the live show.

Also, it was only a Brazilian fansite that talked about Nothing Really Matters, it was never confirmed by any official sources (i.e. Jamie King). I also remember Bad Girl was a fake report when DrownedMadonna admitted their source confused it with Hanky Panky ("treat me like I'm a bad girl).

As for the rest, Some Girls was meant to be in the place of Vogue:

http://www.madonnatribe.com/interviews/madonnatribe-meets-drew-dollaz/

MTribe admins talked about several songs that were considered for S&ST but it's doubtful any of them were rehearsed. TPOG was not one of them, but Open Your Heart was and I think some acoustic version leaked.

The Virgin Tour - This was scheduled for November 1984. Madonna stated this herself as late as August 84. Then she got DSS and pushed back plans to Jan/Feb 85, stating she would go to Australia and Japan and then do the US in the Spring. I never heard her mention Europe, though she said several times she was doing a world tour, in fact as early as May 1984 she had stated she was doing a world tour in the Autumn. Madonna told Mark Bego in September 84 she had a concept planned, but refused to share it. 

Also there was that Virgn Tour Diary which apparently had 'Tears of a Clown' on the setlist in Madonna's handwriting. I am not sure if this was authentic or not. I also remember seeing a list that had LDLHA, though not sure that was real or fake.

Like a Prayer Tour - This was announced for Autumn 1989, since Gaultier's sketches show Madonna with long dark hair I assume he started those in either late 88 or very early 89. Madonna was blonde by Feb 89. I actually think the tour probs would have started summer 89, then she got Dick Tracy and it pushed it back to Autumn, then she had planned to star in The Godfather III, which was planned to start shooting in Nov 1989 at that point. It seems by late spring or early summer of 89 the tour plans were on hold. 

I most intrigued by what the setlist was for this tour, since she did not have the songs from I'm Breathless at that point, it means there were 4 positions open on the setlist (at the very least anyway)

she was working with Vince since the early part of rehearsals as you can see in the footage that was released that showed her rehearsing LAV on the bed in a studio with Vince.

Rehearsals started Jan 90, when she had brunette hair, none of Vince's videos show her with brunette hair, Vince came on in very late Jan or early Feb which was reported by several newspapers in Feb 1990 (I have the clippings) when Karol Armitage was fired.

She was not planning the show with him originally. She may have scrapped all work with Karol (which may not have amounted to much) So what Vince says is probably correct, but he isn't taking into account the stuff she was doing before he got there. It was at least 2 - 3 weeks of work.

I also don't buy that he built the setlist with her, since she had already been planning to tour in 89, it seems more likely she had a setlist in mind and worked on it with Vince, rather than the two of them building it from scratch.