The Long, Troubled History of The MDNA Tour DVD

Future Lover

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I have a question, was The MDNA Tour filmed in its entirety at Stade de France, or did they only professionally record parts of the show?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the MDNA tour, it was truly a great show - but re-watching the dvd and my GOD it's painful to realise again what they did to her vocals. A bit of echo and noise reduction in GGW would have gone a long way.

I also realised from watching past tours that [controversial opinion incoming] she has lost quite a bit of the class she once had. I mean look at CT versus RHT and MXT. She's gone from wearing cool, tasteful costumes to looking like a power rangers enemy lol.

I always exclude SST as I liked how bonkers this era was. It was frustrating at times but she was still cool.

I was watching yesterday the MDNA Tour on dvd, and I had a really great time! Sometimes we are very rude with her work on the forums. It was entertaining, I liked that she focused on the current album at the time as always and the show was amazing. Celebration is still at the top of my list of her closing show performances. 
I agree that the audio is a little flat sometimes, but sounds much live than the S&S dvd. And I like that every tour of her is released, or documented. 
Madonna is making my quarantine WAAAY better. Love her. 

The audio mix on GGW and how her vocals sound is so off-putting despite the performance being amazing - it sounds really tinny with no bass overall and really thin vocals and does nothing to help quite a weak song anyway - the brilliant staging and performance saves it but was a shame the sound on the opening song is soo poor, I think it gets better later in the concert maybe there was just a problem with the recording and was the best they could do.  I enjoy this DVD and tour more than Rebel Heart - don't know what they were thinking with the sound for GGW

• 2 months later...

Really interesting read, makes so much sense. I actually enjoy this DVD so much, maybe because I've gotten used to it. The only part that really looks badly edited to me is the "fuck yeah" speech, her voice there sounds really low quality, and the speech and audience shots don't flow naturally. Everything else looks fine to me despite the filter.

Knowing this could've been cancelled sucks, I'm glad we ended up getting it, it was one of my first concerts and the first time I was front row at a show, so I loved getting this on DVD.

On 7/13/2020 at 8:20 AM, Adriabs said:

Really interesting read, makes so much sense. I actually enjoy this DVD so much, maybe because I've gotten used to it. The only part that really looks badly edited to me is the "fuck yeah" speech, her voice there sounds really low quality, and the speech and audience shots don't flow naturally. Everything else looks fine to me despite the filter.

Knowing this could've been cancelled sucks, I'm glad we ended up getting it, it was one of my first concerts and the first time I was front row at a show, so I loved getting this on DVD.

Omg, yes, the speech. Completely agreed! Always thought this was the only weird part of the DVD.

Okay, fine, the shots from different venues is annoying, and the constant cuts are annoying (the opening with her reveal is like a seizure)...that said, there are so many beautiful moments:

* Most of the camera angles

* The color editing & all Miami footage (it's clear which was captured there vs. not)

* The whole Transgression sequence

* Like A Virgin / Love Spent photos

* Celebration

It's still a great DVD, even if the editing is a bit amateur at times. It's my favorite of any Madonna tour, so I'm glad she captured it at all.

• 9 months later...