What's that with all the different versions?

Madgesty

I just listened to Papa Don't Preach - the version I rippend from the original 1986 pressing - and noticed something's different. Then listened to the version from the Immaculate Collection and it sound way more different. More musical effects and details, even the voice is lighter (the original has a double vocal layer)... I know the IC was remastered with QSound or whatever this was called. But what Is this? There are many different versions for one and the same song. Just look at Express Yourself.

So confusing.

I should actually listen to IC again, at the time it was my first cd (having al the previous albums on vinyl) and only listened to that when I wanted to hear M, then years later I rediscovered all the original version, they are way superior IMO.

But in comment to all the "different versions" I love most of the radio edits from the 80's as well, at first glance they just seem to be shorter, but most of them have been mixed with louder drums etc. Now my ears don't hear the difference per se, but as a child I kept listening to all the versions back to back driving my family crazy 'cos they didn't regard to yet another version of la isla bonita as a different song like I did ;-)

I should actually listen to IC again, at the time it was my first cd (having al the previous albums on vinyl) and only listened to that when I wanted to hear M, then years later I rediscovered all the original version, they are way superior IMO.

But in comment to all the "different versions" I love most of the radio edits from the 80's as well, at first glance they just seem to be shorter, but most of them have been mixed with louder drums etc. Now my ears don't hear the difference per se, but as a child I kept listening to all the versions back to back driving my family crazy 'cos they didn't regard to yet another version of la isla bonita as a different song like I did ;-)

That's an interesting point Pretender.  I don't necessarily consider the "different tracks" as new songs either; in fact, when most people are making a big deal over remixes, I usually skim right over them as I don't prefer the songs "done over".  However, with both LAP and EY on 'The Immaculate Collection'-superior!  I love both of these remixes.