Dislike towards Rebel Heart Tour?

I have an observation.

Usually fans have not been as astonished as they were with the previous tours. Is it because of general dislike towards the "Rebel Heart" album and the fact that the tour contained lots of songs from the album, or because it lacked the versatility the previous tours had? Or maybe because it did play in the arenas instead of stadiums? Or because it was not very controversial?

Any ideas?

I see nothing bad about the RHT. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RHT was awesome. But she is downhill since the tour finished. I'm not impressed for none of her appearences lately. Hope she keeps a low profile in media for months and come back with something more interesting than the grillzs

Lets not forget her cringey instagram and facebook posts too - having her 4 year old pose with a pillow using the words fuck cocaine ?? what was she thinking of ? does a 4 year old need to be exposed to this content already ? 

Speaking of 'Candy Shop'... It is probably the only album track that has been performed live more than once, except the tour supporting its parent album. 'Candy Shop' was given that honor three times. There is also 'Paradise (Not for Me)' but it was only a video interlude on Drowned World Tour.

Now I remember 'Where's the Party?' as well. Any other examples?

Heartbeat featured on S&S, was sampled during Best Friend on MDNA and sampled again in Like A Virgin for Rebel Heart.

Heartbeat featured on S&S, was sampled during Best Friend on MDNA and sampled again in Like A Virgin for Rebel Heart.

I said"...except the tour supporting its parent album.", so S&S doesn't count. And I mean being sung in its full, not being sampled.

I wasn't actually able to see the tour in person, so I cannot comment via the perspective of the live experience. But in seeing the bootleg videos and the official TV recording, it was a visual experience that left me feeling very bored and underwhelmed. The intro was pretty weak, the setlist was rather lack-lustre, and the concepts didn't really flow. It wasn't a terrible mess as was Sticky & Sweet, but it was a live experience that pales in comparison to the majority of Madonna's previous tours. Maybe my opinion would alter had I seen the show in person.... but that being said, I never saw the BA tour in person, and I still rank that as the greatest tour of her career that I still, after 27 years, cannot tire of. But we all have different tastes I guess.

...to me her tours have been in a steady decline since S&S and for me its not really much to do with the staging, her voice or the costumes - its the music production that just doesnt gel with me ?  I dont like Kevin Antunes as MD - i miss Stuart Price's work - on DWT,RIT & CT he came up with some great remixes and music production (Yes i know its backing tracks- more on that later though) She needs to work with someone else for the next tour BUT my biggest issue and has been is the lack of live instrumentation - i dont care what others think but when you listen to WTG, BA & GS the live drums, guitars et al just bring the show so much more life than the backing tracks she uses since DWT - she seems more interested in the show as a visual piece even more than the music and to me thats not what a concert should be - i dont see why we cant have both ? ...

so true.

i yearn for real instruments, real voices, no more of the pre-recorded Antunes-type crap.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of 'Candy Shop'... It is probably the only album track that has been performed live more than once, except the tour supporting its parent album. 'Candy Shop' was given that honor three times. There is also 'Paradise (Not for Me)' but it was only a video interlude on Drowned World Tour.

Now I remember 'Where's the Party?' as well. Any other examples?

I would love to hear Paradise again... and Candy Shop I dont mind, it always brings a fresh number to it lol

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have mixed feelings about the tour. On the one hand, I liked seeing her be more relaxed and loses on stage with mixing up the set list nightly and not rushing through the show which I always felt like she did on previous tours. I have no problem with the setlist, I love the Rebel Heart album and still listen to it regularly, although I feel she needs to get some new musicians who can actually play 'live' music.

My main problem was I saw the show in Manchester and was bitterly disappointed that the show was cut short and the general atmosphere was poor. I'll never forget how I felt when she finished 'Material Girl' and the house lights came on. I was crushed. Unfortunately I had a bad experience at that show and it has marred my view on the tour. Had I seen the show in Birmingham or London I may have a different feeling towards the tour but unfortunately, every time I watch or listen to the show I'm taken back to the Manchester show.

Hopefully in time I'll be able to just enjoy the show for what it is. 

On 15/03/2018 at 10:13 AM, rlittler81 said:

My main problem was I saw the show in Manchester and was bitterly disappointed that the show was cut short and the general atmosphere was poor. I'll never forget how I felt when she finished 'Material Girl' and the house lights came on. I was crushed. Unfortunately I had a bad experience at that show and it has marred my view on the tour. Had I seen the show in Birmingham or London I may have a different feeling towards the tour but unfortunately, every time I watch or listen to the show I'm taken back to the Manchester show.

Chile 2012, L'Olympia 2012, Manchester 2015 all shows where Madonna did disappoint hardcore fans.

At least you had the chance to see her live. There are tons of fans who cannot afford to see her perform live or travel to attend her concerts. I hated she purposely altered her last show in my country but I did have fun see her in person despite no being that close to the stage. 

5 hours ago, madgefan said:

Chile 2012, L'Olympia 2012, Manchester 2015 all shows where Madonna did disappoint hardcore fans.

At least you had the chance to see her live. There are tons of fans who cannot afford to see her perform live or travel to attend her concerts. I hated she purposely altered her last show in my country but I did have fun see her in person despite no being that close to the stage. 

Wasn’t Chile because of the weather? Paris I can see since they shouldn’t have been so shady and they should have said it right from the start it was a highlights show or whatever they called it. And to charge regular MDNA Tour prices? 

1 hour ago, SimonVenekeo said:

Wasn’t Chile because of the weather? Paris I can see since they shouldn’t have been so shady and they should have said it right from the start it was a highlights show or whatever they called it. And to charge regular MDNA Tour prices? 

I hate to say it a million times but they never gave an official explanation. The shitty weather seemed likely but she performed the whole show in other heavily rainy dates such as Dublin and Medellin. 

Lazy and cheap sounding "reinterpretations" of oldies

Almost exclusively songs from Rebel Heart and the 80s...the 90s and 00s were ignored almost entirely yet she decided to dg out almost every fucking single from her worst 80s album (LAV).

The show didn't match up to the intro at all...it was too cutesy and too light-hearted for a show that seemed to have been originally conceived as way darker and more political (like the album itself).

The album was one of her best in a long time and had a great concept and story attached t it, the tour failed to transport any of that into the show and instead seemed like a mixed bag of rehashed ideas scrambled together into a show that was not cohesive in any way. The song selection within the sections was beyond terrible and random? Candy Shop was performed AGAIN. A lot of the tour versions sounded like watered down album versions and Holiday was the most bland, unnecessary version she has ever done of it.

All in all, this show had exactly one purpose: to please casual fans and to have a DVD that would sell well (due to the amount of 80s songs in it).