Madonna's fans age

Luiz Ribeiro

@:

what exactly defines "very old" for you?

:Madonna026:

We are here talking about what an age group thet the music industry invests money and promo and about the consumer audience of the show. Being a fan is not being blind. Just look at the audience who went to see RHT at various shows. He had young ... obviously. But, 80% MINIMUM were 40 or 50yo ..... and that was kind of shocking (for the realistic fans) compared to their previous tours where she could still add the mainstream audience to her shows.

And speaking your age HERE (lol) does not change anything. We are talking about the GRAND MASSA, the one that buys tickets, makes the artist to be alive in the musical arena giving they the tools for new projects. The legacy of Madonna does not change, but its permanence in the market depends yes of sales, profits and everything.

I'm 26 and it was the Music the era I picked up from because digital music was easier to get as an 10-11yr old.

The issue with young fans is not whether her music is still good or not (it damn sure is), kids aren't paying attention regardless, but to be fair her music was always over looked. Erotica sounds so much like stuff coming out now, but M was doing boundary pushing stuff and she was pretty much the only artist doing it in such a mainstream manner.

The scene is now over-saturated with artists doing the same thing. Gaga seemed to be new Madonna because she basically expressed the same sentiments M did, but now that other artists have started adopting the same sentiments, even Gaga is struggling to keep up with fan bases.

However, Madonna can rely on the older fans while the newer ones grow up and their "queen" fades and hopefully they'll appreciate her.

But, 80% MINIMUM were 40 or 50yo ..... and that was kind of shocking (for the realistic fans)

It varied very much from country to country. Here in germany most of the fans who were in the standing area were from 20 to 30 years old. The older ones took seats cause they don´t like to stand for many hours. On all the four Rebel Heart Shows I attended there were older people in the audience as well as younger, it was a good mixture. On the other hand if it was the case on some shows or in some countries why is that so shocking ? I personally don´t think it is something negative or something to point out if Madonna has "older" fans too.

We are here talking about what an age group thet the music industry invests money and promo and about the consumer audience of the show. Being a fan is not being blind. Just look at the audience who went to see RHT at various shows. He had young ... obviously. But, 80% MINIMUM were 40 or 50yo ..... and that was kind of shocking (for the realistic fans) compared to their previous tours where she could still add the mainstream audience to her shows.

this discussion about what is realistic or unrealistic is not an answer. you're being ageist.

you will remember this when you turn 40 or 50 and look into the mirror.

"very old".

this discussion about what is realistic or unrealistic is not an answer. you're being ageist.

"very old".

No, my dear, it only proves that you did not understand anything. Try to read it again. This discussion is about the relationship between the age of Madonna's fans and their longevity in the "mainstream" scenario. No one asked your age here, and to think that would prove you're a little dumbfounded

It varied very much from country to country. Here in germany most of the fans who were in the standing area were from 20 to 30 years old. The older ones took seats cause they don´t like to stand for many hours. On all the four Rebel Heart Shows I attended there were older people in the audience as well as younger, it was a good mixture. On the other hand if it was the case on some shows or in some countries why is that so shocking ? I personally don´t think it is something negative or something to point out if Madonna has "older" fans too.

Exactly, because without those 40 and 50 year old fans, Madonna wouldn't be where she is today. 

...makes the artist to be alive in the musical arena giving they the tools for new projects. The legacy of Madonna does not change, but its permanence in the market depends yes of sales, profits and everything.[/size]

Yet she is still a top selling touring artist, has consistently released new material with the modern or upcoming sounds in pop present, and redefines the game still with her live act theatrics. She beat "the game". At this point none are close, even Britney and Celine went Vegas Madonna does it her way. Always has. Back when she first started Maverick and was cultivating acts like Alanis Morisette I think she saw that retail music/CDs/tapes etc were on their way out early and focused on her own ship because she saw how fickle the market for commercial music had become. Her poorer selling albums sell better than most of the Walt Disney youth machine robot radio kids these days could even hope for. In my view, she is the best kind of loose cannon as she was meant to be this Barbie doll singer for girls and she has evolved into a feminist goddess musical icon earth mother. But she can still sing and dance and smile. Like Liam above said some of those folks were probably in their twenties at Madonna concerts but they aren't in them anymore. It's only 10 or so years lol that's what 2 maybe 3 albums

Yet she is still a top selling touring artist, has consistently released new material with the modern or upcoming sounds in pop present, and redefines the game still with her live act theatrics. She beat "the game". At this point none are close, even Britney and Celine went Vegas Madonna does it her way. Always has. Back when she first started Maverick and was cultivating acts like Alanis Morisette I think she saw that retail music/CDs/tapes etc were on their way out early and focused on her own ship because she saw how fickle the market for commercial music had become. Her poorer selling albums sell better than most of the Walt Disney youth machine robot radio kids these days could even hope for. In my view, she is the best kind of loose cannon as she was meant to be this Barbie doll singer for girls and she has evolved into a feminist goddess musical icon earth mother. But she can still sing and dance and smile. Like Liam above said some of those folks were probably in their twenties at Madonna concerts but they aren't in them anymore. It's only 10 or so years lol that's what 2 maybe 3 albums

This is how I see it as well. While her album sales have declined greatly over the years, she's still not doing half bad, considering many of the younger acts are selling just as much. Certainly, we have our Taylor Swifts and few other artists who selling shitloads of albums still, but it's a rarity. Madonna sold her share back in the day and the big difference she actually sold PHYSICAL copies, not this streaming digital crap that is factored in anymore. And you have to be quite daft to not believe her age doesn't play a role in her sales and popularity these days. Madonna hasn't lost her edge or her game. It's the music industry that has. But I still think the digital age is great and with it, a lot of younger people are able to find her music with a click of a button and experience her much easier than older artists back in the day.

"very old".

I agree 40/50 even 60 is not "very old" but what they meant is that in the pop game, as a demographic it is SEEN as very old sadly. But I see that it's changing more and more, nowadays its not uncommon at all for 40 year olds to be into the latest pop music. 

At the Rebel Heart Tour I saw quite a diverse crowd. There were many younger fans there as well as the fans who grew up with her.

What actually pleasantly surprised me was how many much older men I saw there.

Younger people know her revelance. I had my favorites back in the eighties of current bands which I gushed over with my friends. They weren't on my magazine covers but I knew the revelance of the Beatles.

Those fans are out there.

No, my dear, it only proves that you did not understand anything. Try to read it again. This discussion is about the relationship between the age of Madonna's fans and their longevity in the "mainstream" scenario. No one asked your age here, and to think that would prove you're a little dumbfounded

physician, heal thyself.

i am neither dumbfounded nor am i hard of reading.

i get what you meant in your first post very well.

you just didn't answer my question on what exactly defines "very old" for you. 

on top of being arrogant, you're rude. i never talked about my age

you should think about your wording before you post something, in my humble opinion.

instead of saying "fans are very old" you could have just said that the demographic was clearly in a certain age spectrum and specify it.

but that would have been too complicated for you, as it seems.

nevermind.

last reaction to you. have fun with the other hopefully brighter crayons in your box.

Don't want to grow old too fast

Don't want to let the system get me down

I've got to find a way to make the good times last

And if you'll show me how, I'm ready now!

We should continue to celebrate the good times instead of picking at uncontrollable things like age. She found a way to make them last and that's all that matters to this fan.

What do you think about the majority of Madonna fans being of a mature age already?Does it influence the sales of the singer, since the method of selling today is much more online? Can Madonna lose her piece in the pop world because she could not drag new young fans with her?

Look at this video, just very old people in the audience:

This is not a criticism, just something I noticed in the public of RHT

Thank you for changing "very old" to "mature". much appreciated.

I have been a fan since the very very beginning. I am 50 now. I had tickets to the MDNA show in dallas that got cancelled, I was soooo bummed. But my freind from HS, bought me tickets to the RHT in washington, so I got to see that show. The crowd around us was varied in age, as I have seen when I went to see her in 87 and in 90. I guess Its more "mature" now because alot of her fans grew up with her, i was 16 when I first got into madonna and have been with her ever since. I kind of bums me out knowing im considered "very old"..I know that I am older now but I dont feel or look super old.....I mean cant we all enjoy her? Young and old?