Madonna surprise concert!!!! Di Caprio Gala Fundraiser

Proof that she doesnt need all the hoopla and a thousand dancers, and a gazillion effects and a fancy setup to put on a fantastic show.

Her, a mic, her songs, great music, a little dancing is all she needs.

Her shows would take less out of her and she could sing and dance her heart out every night.

Fantastic!

Well, from what I can tell she still used a lot of backing track last night.  Majority of the cell phone footage is hard to really tell how great she sounded.  I really couldn't hear her live voice on what I've seen of 4 Minutes. 

Well, from what I can tell she still used a lot of backing track last night.  Majority of the cell phone footage is hard to really tell how great she sounded.  I really couldn't hear her live voice on what I've seen of 4 Minutes. 

I really had the impression almost everything was backing track, maybe La isla was live.

But it was fabulous and I really hope someone like our beloved @@Frank is going to collect the best videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkWkWT0sj4U

I really had the impression almost everything was backing track, maybe La isla was live.

But it was fabulous and I really hope someone like our beloved @@Frank is going to collect the best videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkWkWT0sj4U

From what I can tell, "Open Your Heart", "La Isla Bonita" and "Ghosttown" weren't necessarily just her singing over backing tracks.  "4 Minutes" and "Ray of Light" seemed like she was singing Karaoke over a backing track.  But possibly HQ footage could further determine such. 

Proof that she doesnt need all the hoopla and a thousand dancers, and a gazillion effects and a fancy setup to put on a fantastic show.

Her, a mic, her songs, great music, a little dancing is all she needs.

Her shows would take less out of her and she could sing and dance her heart out every night.

Fantastic!

yeah im not opposed to her doing more numbers like this on tour in the future, although I hope it won't be singing to album instrumentals with cheap ass pitched down vocal backing tracks.

4 Minutes was definitely the album version vocals. 

yeah im not opposed to her doing more numbers like this on tour in the future, although I hope it won't be singing to album instrumentals with cheap ass pitched down vocal backing tracks.

You're absolutely right, it's fine if she sings at a more confortable pitch and with the help of backing tracks, but please at least with new orchestrations and with some live instruments, not album instrumentals, and with new re-recorded vocals, because the original vocals pitched down as Papa don't preach in Carpool Karaoke are really embarassing.

aren't they also present here on Open Your Heart? maybe I heard wrong

Yes I had the same impression: it was pitched down a minor third!

Of course we have to wait for better videos

I really want her to be considered a serious musician and not just a star or great entertainer.

That is why I can understand the criticism made by @@rebelheart93 in the RHT DVD topic. This does not mean we don't love her, but we really care about her musical legacy and public image as a singer.

I feel she needs a new band of musicians and a new musical director.

Yes I had the same impression: it was pitched down a minor third!

Of course we have to wait for better videos

I really want her to be considered a serious musician and not just a star or great entertainer.

That is why I can understand the criticism made by @@rebelheart93 in the RHT DVD topic. This does not mean why don't love her, but we really care about her musical legacy and public image as a singer.

I feel she needs a new band of musicians and a new musical director.

The band is ok

Maybe Kevin needs new ideas

But she needs vocal lessons

And thank u Enrico <3

Well to be honest I have a very opposite opinion.

I really appreciate that Madonna didn't fall into that "Serious Musician" trap.

I mean most of pop stars fall into "I'm a Serious musician now" trap and that lead to them to career end.

I really appreciate that Madonna don't do that kind of mistake.

i'm so sick of listening "Oh Madonna should make a music something exactly like Ray of Light or American life!!"

Are you serious? Uhhh... if she do that kind of mistake that's not Madonna which I love and adore.

I really hope that Madonna keep make a fun and new kind of style music instead of ray of light ver2.0 or America life ver2.0 shit."

As The Queen of Pop Madonna herself said before,

It’s Good Not Take Yourself Too Seriously

That's the key Why Madonna is still Queen of Pop and forever.

If she take herself as too much "Serious" Musician then that's gonna be sigh of her retirement.

But Madonna is too smart that make that kind of mistake.

Yes I'm glad she didn't fall into the "I'm older now so I gotta be serious" cliche, but I want quality which is different. And I know it sounds harsh but we been seeing a lack of it in some aspects which is crazy considering we're talking about Madonna. Going out and performing to old album instrumentals or tracks with pitched down vocals is as if she couldn't afford any better.

I understand embracing your legacy and your old songs, Stuart Price helped her do this brilliantly while still keeping it interesting and polished.  Maybe if it hadn't been for him she would have been doing album versions sooner and I would probably have seen her as an older artist who goes out and performs the hits the same way as they came out like soooo many others and I wouldn't find it really interesting.

To be fair there's been a few arrangements that are stand outs like Mer Girl on TOAC and True Blue on RHT, otherwise it's been lacking a bit lately.

LOL to anyone wanting Madonna to be taken as a "serious musician"!!!  :stare:   Fast forward nearly 35 years where she's still considered the "Queen of Pop", still selling out arenas around the world, not reducing her self to a "has been" by pumping out STANDARD cover albums and not reducing herself to GREATEST HITS status.

I think Madonna's fine for where she stands in the music industry.  She may not be as popular in the mainstream media now, but she's still releasing ORIGINAL material and always working with new people.  If I want "serious", I'd listen to Barbara Striesand.  If I want her to keep working or rehash old producers, I'd listen to Janet Jackson. If I want vocal acrobats and perfection, I'd listen to Lady Gaga or Mariah Carey (and no doubt that is pretty subjective and generous of me to even say of those two). 

If you think Madonna isn't respected in the music industry, you haven't been paying much attention.  Certainly, it would be nice for everyone to get on board and respect her, but quite honestly, if that happened, she would be too complacent.  Madonna is polarizing because she doesn't just stand there and does and say what everyone wants her to do. She's not "Miss Susie Hoemaker".   She's Madonna.  We might not all agree with everything she does, but hell if I want her to take her career so serious that she is a bore.  I love the fact that for each album, you're not quite sure which direction she will go. Most know it will be poplicious, but there is always an element of surprise in where she takes us.  At this point, if you're expecting and making demands on Madonna when she's been doing this for 30 plus years, you might want to get off at the next stop.  I think Barbara Striesand and Elton John would gladly accept your fan card!!!  LOL! :kiss:  :lol:  

Her forte is creative ideas, not so much the technical aspects of musicianship. Of course she's musically talented but it's more intuitive than academic. She is very very gifted creatively. People often value someone playing an instrument (even poorly) or born with a 5 octave voice over people (especially women) with groundbreaking art like she's been constantly putting out. She's definitely not just a star or entertainer, she is an artist. She's never gonna be a gifted instrumentalist though, oh well you can't be good at everything. 

Please don't misunderstand me! When I say "serious musician" I don't mean Madonna changing her style or trying to be taken seriously or singing jazz standards, but working with professional musicians and requiring high musical standards as much as she does for dancing and staging.

To sing with pitched down original vocals and deformed album instrumentals is not professional and definitely not good for the Queen of pop, and also a little disrespectful for her audience as if we were not able to understand. We are definitely able to distinguish between the good live sound of the Girlie Show and the bad karaoke of some recent performances.

This does not mean I want Beyoncé, no way!! Nor I expect her to sit on piano and play. That's not her legacy. But after 35 years I am pretty sure she knows when something is good musically or not and if an orchestration or an arrangement is working or is new and interesting. Even without being a strong instrumentalist, but just because she's been a performing artist for ages.

Someone is lazy. I don't kniw if it's Madonna, her band, her management. It's not difficult to rearrange her hits in a different pitch and maybe use a backing track but with live guitar, live drums, live keyboards and live background vocals. It is not a tv show. They had time to rehearse. Lenny Kravitz didn't do it. If some other singer did it we would all be criticizing this attitude. You only get disrespect from real musicians.

PS Elton John asked me to write this ahahaha!!

Who cares what other musicians say!  And I'm tired of the whole "lazy" comment.  Madonna didn't get as far as she did, by being lazy.  She may not put on LIVE shows up to your standards, but you forget she is and has always been a BRAND!!!  I know some hate to hear that or admit that, but that is a fact.  One of her strongest attributes is being financially frugal.  At the same time, from her very early days and first tour, she's always relied on backing tracks.  The fact is; it does save more money.  I'm not saying she doesn't need to fine tune this aspect of her shows, but Madonna has never been known to be the act to have live musicians.  Much of her most acclaimed tour, BLOND AMBITION was more backing tracks than live musicians/instruments.  Her vocals might have been live in a number of the songs, but she's always performed to backing tracks.  Again, she's been doing this for nearly 35 years now. If you're having an issue with it now, then you'd might as well get off the bus.  Madonna is an artist. She uses music to express that art, whether it's using live instrumentation and/or backing tracks. She's never been the type of artist who has been backed by a live band. In the end, it doesn't make her any less or more of a "serious artist" just because she doesn't drag a live band around.  But let's not pretend she doesn't have it either.  Monte Pittman has been her guitarist for years now.  She also has people who play keyboards and drums if not bass. Certainly a lot of it might be programed backing tracks, but there has also been an element of live instrumentation as well. But again, she isn't that artist that has ever been known to have a huge live band.