Blond Ambition and Re-Invention tours - who owns the rights?

Little Angel

On 9/25/2019 at 2:11 AM, me1981 said:

WB has Warner Archive, I don't know why they don't use that to release her tours, removes much of the overhead costs and is basically an On Demand service. 

In terms of Paris BAT, we haven't been able to fully discern whether the full shows were filmed or not. Toby Phillips says they were, Alek Kesheshian says they only shot the numbers they planned to use in the doco. Toby also states that Alek wasn't that involved in the actual filming of the concert sequences though, so maybe his memory isn't the greatest.

In terms of rights. Miramax owned ToD, Madonna sold it to them outright and regretted it later. Whether that included the rights to the Paris concert footage is unknown, though seems likely.

I doubt Pioneer own the rights to the Nice concert anymore. It was suggested a VHS version of the show was to be released within a year of the laserdisc, so I assume Pioneer's licence was limited and it reverted back to WB/Madonna, which is why we scored the In-House DVD from WB (they may have been prepping this for release at some point).

Carese Henry (I'm pretty sure) did a Q&A in ICON at some point and said they were looking into DVD releases for the tours, I assume WB owns the rights to that Nice concert. Also I don't think Pioneer ever re-issued BAT on laserdisc, despite the fact it was a big seller for them, so again, I feel they had a limited contract for it.

I get the feeling Madonna either had some sort of verbal or binding agreement with WB that she must approve of any releases. When the tour DVD's rumour started a few years back, Guy said he would look into working with WB on it. Many speculated that Madonna had more control over releases than we thought. It may be simply that WB wants to maintain a good relationship with Madonna, so are not willing to go against her wishes or it could be she actually negotiated a contract with them to that effect.

She doesnt want the Nice show released due to her vocals I suspect

On 9/27/2019 at 10:58 PM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

At this rate, why doesn't she use all footage available, slap a few quick cuts/Instagram filters and cleaned up vocals and release it.

Cleaning up the vocals is easier said then done on such an old recording. Also everyone has the inhouse Nice leak so not much point in releasing it on DVD. It was filmed on video not film and no way to remaster it to HD... So. I have no idea about the Japan show as that show was NOT part of pioneers laser disc only contract, it was even released on VHS. It was taped in very good quality but I have no idea why a DVD was never released.

50 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

Cleaning up the vocals is easier said then done on such an old recording. Also everyone has the inhouse Nice leak so not much point in releasing it on DVD. It was filmed on video not film and no way to remaster it to HD... So. I have no idea about the Japan show as that show was NOT part of pioneers laser disc only contract, it was even released on VHS. It was taped in very good quality but I have no idea why a DVD was never released.

I was being humorous in my response....

On 8/4/2017 at 8:22 AM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

The most I can see a Warner Bros doing a cheaply done boxset of all her tours (same releases; no new feature) with a pretty standard box cover with the name like - Madonna: Live!

I wouldn't mind that, provided the content are mastered in HD or 4K, in other words BluRays or 4K Blu-Rays, not DVDs.

12 hours ago, PWCCA said:

Totally agree. At this point I think any release is better than no release lol. I just want them all on Blu Ray

Exactly haha. Like I sure as hell will be happy if it features uncensored versions like American Life, alternative/extended versions or stuff that we don't know of that were made and not released, or maybe in the audio counterpart, they could put in some unreleased songs that are properly mastered for public release like they did with Broken as a vinyl for ICON club which I truly love.

However, I'd still be quite happy that we get a remastered/upscaled version of what we already have. That alone is something indeed haha.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 5:51 AM, RinoTheBouncer said:

I wouldn't mind that, provided the content are mastered in HD or 4K, in other words BluRays or 4K Blu-Rays, not DVDs.

I think only RIT and the tours onward would be HD/possible converted to higher quality. Not sure if DWT was shot on tape or film. Everything prior to that minus The Virgin Tour was done on tape. The Virgin Tour I believe was shot on film so they would need to find the negative, master it and clean it up and voila along with the missing performances. BAT Paris is apparently lost which would be the closest thing to an HD/4K of the Blond Ambition tour. Everything else would be a DVD quality release.

• 2 weeks later...

The existing recorded mediums are as follows:

VT- HD/4k possible, film (? 16 or 35mm)

WTG - SD 4:3

BAT - SD 4:3 and HD:4K (35mm)

GS - SD 4:3

DWT - SD 4:3 (unreleased Barcelona show presumably also same)

RIT - both HD/4K 35mm film and SD 4:3 

CT - HD Film 35mm

S&S - HD Film 35mm

MDNA - Digital HD

Rebel Heart - Digital HD 

So a 4K is possible yet unlikely for VT, BAT, RIT, CT and S&S. Presumably also MDNA and RHT As I find it hard to believe they show digital as 1080i/p.

• 2 months later...

I was just going to post a BAT discussion, glad I found this.

so that really great quality Vogue rehearsal that was filmed for MTV and aired to promote the tour... who would own that or HAVE that? Would it be Disney studios? I would think MTV. I wonder if they have a whole rehearsal from start to finish and only had the rights/permission to air only that performance.

can anyone shed light on this if they have any knowledge about this

On 10/6/2019 at 3:55 PM, PWCCA said:

At this point I think any release is better than no release lol. I just want them all on Blu Ray

While I sort of agree... I don’t want them just to release it just for shits and giggles. Or to shut us up. Celebration was a mess. We can only hope and pray that if this is anywhere on their agenda, they’d take the time to give it to us in the highest quality possible. If it was just a Blu-ray of Japan show, like we’ve seen I probably wouldn’t buy it. Make it worth our money. Find the tapes. Edit to your hearts content. Just take the time to give those shows the release they deserve. 

19 hours ago, Andymad said:

While I sort of agree... I don’t want them just to release it just for shits and giggles. Or to shut us up. Celebration was a mess. We can only hope and pray that if this is anywhere on their agenda, they’d take the time to give it to us in the highest quality possible. If it was just a Blu-ray of Japan show, like we’ve seen I probably wouldn’t buy it. Make it worth our money. Find the tapes. Edit to your hearts content. Just take the time to give those shows the release they deserve. 

I don't think they are interested in the potential revenue or it even crosses their tiny minds. It's all about the money they can make here and now. No interest in fans at all.

Case in point, cult tv show prisoner cell block h had to have one its major tv stars from 1980s along with a ton of fan requests for years to release the whole series on DVD. Result after a lot of hard work was it was.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 2:21 PM, Andymad said:

I was just going to post a BAT discussion, glad I found this.

so that really great quality Vogue rehearsal that was filmed for MTV and aired to promote the tour... who would own that or HAVE that? Would it be Disney studios? I would think MTV. I wonder if they have a whole rehearsal from start to finish and only had the rights/permission to air only that performance.

can anyone shed light on this if they have any knowledge about this

MTV was one of the promoters of the tour, so they got special access. Madonna-tv uploaded Downtown Julie Brown's segments from the full dress rehearsal, but only Vogue was shown and I think it was taped specifically and soley for that broadcast, which is why we have different takes of that song. 

However MTV obviously had cameras in the studio and may have recorded something else. It is unknown. They got Madonna in the background during Julie's segments, but only here and there and from far away.

Madonna herself could have had the dress rehearsal taped for her own purposes too and either she or WB may own that footage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 11:58 AM, madbella said:

As far as I know with RIT she was unhappy with the result of recordings in Lisbon, apart that on that moment she decided to release "Im going to sell you the Kabalah", most known as "Im going to tell you a secret".

I dont understand why Warner Music has banned all the material from Madonna. Since she left only we had the box-set with all studio albums and re-release of vinyls. Its hard to check as someone said that someone released the BAT and Girlie on CD and they´re selling very well and Madonna and Warner dont see a penny.

Why not release their concerts in BR? Is another question.

The truth is that as she said whe she was promoting IGTTYAS: "First I'm going to release the documentary and then the full concert, because if I release the two items at the same time people could not put attention to both". In fact, the full RIT on DVD has name and release date that was being cancellated a few times before the final cancellation. So... the edition is made.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nobody Knows Me
6 hours ago, Lucas B. said:

She should also release The Confessions Tour on blu-ray, would love to see it in glorious high definition.

That’d be great. It definitely deserves Blu-Ray treatment! 

On 2/29/2020 at 9:43 AM, lmvc said:

The truth is that as she said whe she was promoting IGTTYAS: "First I'm going to release the documentary and then the full concert, because if I release the two items at the same time people could not put attention to both". In fact, the full RIT on DVD has name and release date that was being cancellated a few times before the final cancellation. So... the edition is made.

Yeah, I always figured BAT and RIT weren't released because they were afraid they'd cannibalize sales/viewings of the accompanying documentaries. The only tours without proper releases are also the only two tours that documentaries were made about. 

4 hours ago, clkelley39 said:

Yeah, I always figured BAT and RIT weren't released because they were afraid they'd cannibalize sales/viewings of the accompanying documentaries. The only tours without proper releases are also the only two tours that documentaries were made about. 

I guess we can include the VT as well. Just as BAT and RIT it wasn't released on dvd, even tho this one hasn't a documentary. Just like BAT it was released only on LaserDisc and VHS tape.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
51 minutes ago, Lucas B. said:

I guess we can include the VT as well. Just as BAT and RIT it wasn't released on dvd, even tho this one hasn't a documentary. Just like BAT it was released only on LaserDisc and VHS tape.

If only they could release all three :Madonna027:

On 11/7/2019 at 10:39 PM, scion said:

The existing recorded mediums are as follows:

VT- HD/4k possible, film (? 16 or 35mm)

WTG - SD 4:3

BAT - SD 4:3 and HD:4K (35mm)

GS - SD 4:3

DWT - SD 4:3 (unreleased Barcelona show presumably also same)

RIT - both HD/4K 35mm film and SD 4:3 

CT - HD Film 35mm

S&S - HD Film 35mm

MDNA - Digital HD

Rebel Heart - Digital HD 

So a 4K is possible yet unlikely for VT, BAT, RIT, CT and S&S. Presumably also MDNA and RHT As I find it hard to believe they show digital as 1080i/p.

so I wont be dreaming about GS in 4k? :lord: