Blond Ambition and Re-Invention tours - who owns the rights?

Little Angel

6 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I think it would look too messy if they used film and tape personally. That would mean they'd have to use Paris and Nice, and Paris was filmed in an indoor arena whilst Nice was an outdoor stadium, and she also sounds much better in Paris than she did in Nice.

But Bat-Fan says all of Paris was filmed, either on video or film. Is he wrong?

Guest Nobody Knows Me
44 minutes ago, Warm Gun said:

But Bat-Fan says all of Paris was filmed, either on video or film. Is he wrong?

It's speculation. Toby Philips, the cinematographer for Truth or Dare, claims that the Paris shows were filmed in full, but Alek Keshishian, the director, claims that he only filmed the songs featured in the movie. Kevin, one of the dancers, also says that Cherish definitely wasn't filmed.

3 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

It's speculation. Toby Philips, the cinematographer for Truth or Dare, claims that the Paris shows were filmed in full, but Alek Keshishian, the director, claims that he only filmed the songs featured in the movie. Kevin, one of the dancers, also says that Cherish definitely wasn't filmed.

Linda Hollingshed (line producer)was contacted last year and stated that the full show wasn’t filmed; just select songs. (She previously said in 2012 that the full show was filmed..)

However, when Toby Phillips (cinematographer) was asked the same question last year, he said the full show was filmed.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
5 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Linda Hollingshed (line producer)was contacted last year and stated that the full show wasn’t filmed; just select songs. (She previously said in 2012 that the full show was filmed..)

However, when Toby Phillips (cinematographer) was asked the same question last year, he said the full show was filmed.

It's back and forth between those two. I feel like the cinematographer is bound to know what was filmed but I guess we'll never get a clear answer on this.

Who knows. I don't even think Madonna herself knows. She might. However, I do not believe for one second that these tapes are lost. If she can keep journals and demo cassettes from the 70s and onwards, then she would most likely have a copy of this tour. So, I'd say she keeps her life well documented. And the BAT would be no different. 

2 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Yeah but film reels arn't the same as cassette tapes. People don't cary reels around with the intention of playing them every 30 minutes no matter where they go. Those things were likely put in storage right after editing was completed.

very true. But doesn't she have like, a warehouse or something? Doesn't she had an archive of  full on costumes from her entire career? Surely there must be tapes too. We've SEEN them on the shelves! I'd love to be a dust mite on the walls of that place. I would duplicate like black mould to get a close look at everything 

On 2/12/2021 at 12:04 AM, Andymad said:

very true. But doesn't she have like, a warehouse or something? Doesn't she had an archive of  full on costumes from her entire career? Surely there must be tapes too. We've SEEN them on the shelves! I'd love to be a dust mite on the walls of that place. I would duplicate like black mould to get a close look at everything 

There is an archive, correct.  Perhaps she and Alec made some agreement regarding the footage (because of the documentary, or whatever)?

Edited by Erlend (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

So the director and DOP have answered the question. What about Madonna? Do interviewers ever ask her? I wish one would point out how popular the bootlegs are before asking.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
3 minutes ago, Warm Gun said:

So the director and DOP have answered the question. What about Madonna? Do interviewers ever ask her? I wish one would point out how popular the bootlegs are before asking.

She says it wasn't filmed in its entirety as well.

There is this. A camera that looks to be on a crane during Where's the Party. This is where she says "My stage is too small" Just prior to getting into the song. Looks like it is filming her, but who knows. Would not be for the screens. None of those cameras were hovering like that.

I must admit there are no cameras to be seen on the two bootlegs from July 4, 1990 that are floating about. Though maybe they got wide shots that night. Maybe all crane shots were July 3 and wide and some crane shots on July 4 (so they were too far back to be seen) and close-ups on July 6. The shot from Live to Tell where the camera circles around her as she is staring at the cross has to be July 6 as I have seen that part on the bootlegs from Jul 3 & 4 and no camera is seen

Screenshot_20210204-082108_Instagram.jpg

9 hours ago, me1981 said:

There is this. A camera that looks to be on a crane during Where's the Party. This is where she says "My stage is too small" Just prior to getting into the song. Looks like it is filming her, but who knows. Would not be for the screens. None of those cameras were hovering like that.

I must admit there are no cameras to be seen on the two bootlegs from July 4, 1990 that are floating about. Though maybe they got wide shots that night. Maybe all crane shots were July 3 and wide and some crane shots on July 4 (so they were too far back to be seen) and close-ups on July 6. The shot from Live to Tell where the camera circles around her as she is staring at the cross has to be July 6 as I have seen that part on the bootlegs from Jul 3 & 4 and no camera is seen

Screenshot_20210204-082108_Instagram.jpg

Interesting 

Edited by Erlend (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 3:53 AM, Nobody Knows Me said:

I think it would look too messy if they used film and tape personally. That would mean they'd have to use Paris and Nice, and Paris was filmed in an indoor arena whilst Nice was an outdoor stadium, and she also sounds much better in Paris than she did in Nice.

Well to be fair, look at the footage they used for the MDNA Blu-ray. Some of it looked like it was straight up ripped from a 180p B&W security cam. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
6 hours ago, musicinferno said:

Well to be fair, look at the footage they used for the MDNA Blu-ray. Some of it looked like it was straight up ripped from a 180p B&W security cam. 

And it looks horrible to me, so I'd hate for them to give the Blond Ambition Tour the same treatment.

• 2 months later...

Who knows for sure but the fact all these tours are available on YouTube will imply the rights aren't in the hands of someone who has a vested interest to make money.  

They are a great nostalgia trip and you get alot of great recordings from the unofficial sources. (Virgin Dallas, RIT Lisbon etc).

To grab hold of any of them, remaster them and edit them would likely not be commercially viable anyway...and lets face it Dear Ms voice has improved post Evita.

In summary, hold onto the nostalgia and nab a bootleg version.  It's a win win for fans.

• 3 weeks later...

By the time they come out now on Blu Ray, people wouldve thrown away their Blu Ray players. Theyll be some sort of streaming service. 

Of course BAT was filmed in full in Paris, theres too much evidence, Even M said shed lost it but we saw it on her shelves. She's hilarious. No need to worry, weve seen it enough. At this stage id rather have a full V.T in whatever quality and ROL promo Roxy. 

RIT??? Hope theres great full footage!! but it if its the Lisbon crap weve seen on youtube 100 times no wonder she said no, you had to be there.  

Strange things happen (I dont like to say it) but when M.J and Prince passed.. out came 100 good quality concerts you never knew existed. 

1 minute ago, scallywally said:

By the time they come out now on Blu Ray, people wouldve thrown away their Blu Ray players. Theyll be some sort of streaming service. 

Of course BAT was filmed in full in Paris, theres too much evidence, Even M said shed lost it but we saw it on her shelves. She's hilarious. No need to worry, weve seen it enough. At this stage id rather have a full V.T in whatever quality and ROL promo Roxy. 

RIT??? Hope theres great full footage!! but it if its the Lisbon crap weve seen on youtube 80 times no wonder she said no, you had to be there.  

Strange things happen (I dont like to say it) but when M.J and Prince passed.. out came 100 good quality concerts you never knew existed. 

I'm going to quote/paraphrase a director I asked specifically his thoughts on this matter (whether or not the Paris show would have been filmed in full or only partially). He didn't work on a Madonna show, but he has been directing/filming shows for close to 35 years, and was in charge of the filming of one of the biggest series of concerts ever held in europe just 2 years ago, gathering almost 250.000 people. He knows his shtick. "Considering the technicality used for this show at the time (the ToD filming of the BAT show in Bercy), the 35mm cameras/cranes used, not only it wouldn't make sense, it's also technically not feasible to purposely stop and then resume filming without interrupting the show for at the very least 20 solid minutes. If you tell me the final number was filmed (and it was), and there was no interruption of the kind during the concert (there wasn't) then the show was filmed in full, it's as simple as that".

8 hours ago, DanK said:

I'm going to quote/paraphrase a director I asked specifically his thoughts on this matter (whether or not the Paris show would have been filmed in full or only partially). He didn't work on a Madonna show, but he has been directing/filming shows for close to 35 years, and was in charge of the filming of one of the biggest series of concerts ever held in europe just 2 years ago, gathering almost 250.000 people. He knows his shtick. "Considering the technicality used for this show at the time (the ToD filming of the BAT show in Bercy), the 35mm cameras/cranes used, not only it wouldn't make sense, it's also technically not feasible to purposely stop and then resume filming without interrupting the show for at the very least 20 solid minutes. If you tell me the final number was filmed (and it was), and there was no interruption of the kind during the concert (there wasn't) then the show was filmed in full, it's as simple as that".

It was a 3 night shoot 

In the time it takes for M to organize, pack, fly to her dads birthday, schmooze with family, drink wine, open presents, play with the twins, film some of grandpa playing with twins, smoke a j in the vineyard, have a quickie in the stable, eat cake, say goodbye for now, fly home and unpack…

you could easily edit and release the full Paris show. I’m guessing.

6 hours ago, Andymad said:

In the time it takes for M to organize, pack, fly to her dads birthday, schmooze with family, drink wine, open presents, play with the twins, film some of grandpa playing with twins, smoke a j in the vineyard, have a quickie in the stable, eat cake, say goodbye for now, fly home and unpack…

you could easily edit and release the full Paris show. I’m guessing.

That sounds like a fun weekend, where do I sign up for one of those