Blond Ambition and Re-Invention tours - who owns the rights?

Little Angel

On 6/4/2021 at 2:23 AM, DanK said:

I'm going to quote/paraphrase a director I asked specifically his thoughts on this matter (whether or not the Paris show would have been filmed in full or only partially). He didn't work on a Madonna show, but he has been directing/filming shows for close to 35 years, and was in charge of the filming of one of the biggest series of concerts ever held in europe just 2 years ago, gathering almost 250.000 people. He knows his shtick. "Considering the technicality used for this show at the time (the ToD filming of the BAT show in Bercy), the 35mm cameras/cranes used, not only it wouldn't make sense, it's also technically not feasible to purposely stop and then resume filming without interrupting the show for at the very least 20 solid minutes. If you tell me the final number was filmed (and it was), and there was no interruption of the kind during the concert (there wasn't) then the show was filmed in full, it's as simple as that".

Thanks for that, I had a similar thought but wasn't sure, as I always thought it would be a nightmare to stop and start all the time.

On top of that, Toby Phillips talks about changing the lighting for the show. You can tell from the B Roll and even the bootleg that the colours are more saturated and the stage is nowhere near as brightly lit as normal and that is for all numbers. Why go to all the trouble of changing the entire shows lighting to only film certain numbers. Especially when M raised concerns about the audience being able to see the show. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2021 at 6:04 PM, Andymad said:

very true. But doesn't she have like, a warehouse or something? Doesn't she had an archive of  full on costumes from her entire career? Surely there must be tapes too. We've SEEN them on the shelves! I'd love to be a dust mite on the walls of that place. I would duplicate like black mould to get a close look at everything 

What have we seen on which shelves?

Also tapes are pretty useless cause you can only get DVD transfers from them and a lot of detail is lost. In order to get it in HD it needs to be transferred from film.

On 2/11/2021 at 4:41 PM, deathproof said:

Linda Hollingshed (line producer)was contacted last year and stated that the full show wasn’t filmed; just select songs. (She previously said in 2012 that the full show was filmed..)

However, when Toby Phillips (cinematographer) was asked the same question last year, he said the full show was filmed.

Whatever anyone says it’s a fact that the entire show has been shot on film.

The question is if the entire show was EDITED. And most likely it was not. I think that’s where the confusion in these claims stems from. 
There’s footage for everything exists but just certain parts are properly edited.

Unfortunately, going back and re-editing the whole thing doesn’t seem like a viable project. Especially since the film reels (if they exist) might be partially damaged or incomplete.

It would be amazing if Warner would really engage with the fans and get feedback on what releases are most wanted 

By the way ... Now that Miramax doesn't exist any more and (Harvey Weinstein is gone too) Paramount owns the right for the "Truth or Dare" footage... I think she once said that she doesn't own the rights and Miramax demanded a lot of money for them, and that's why I can't use it in their documentary "I'm going to tell you a secret."?

14 minutes ago, Oscar said:

They can release and extended version of Truth or Dare.. With all the songs filmed without edit like "Express Yourself" (I can't believe they cut the iconic kick from the film.) ? 

Some frame from the trailer that were cut from the film looks amazing! ? 

I mean it makes complete sense to edit performances for films like TOD and IGTTYAS. And to be honest I really love the behind the scenes footage. But. To not officially release the show as a full concert boggles my mind. It’s weird how she’s never spoken about it other than “I’ve lost the footage” lmao wtf. LIES! Liza Minnelli LIES!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/30/2022 at 4:09 AM, Lucas B. said:

Maybe we'll get a little treat this year? What can we expect as we approach her 40th carrer anniversary?

Well.

Hopefully we'll get the tours on DVD in the Super Deluxe Editions that she's working on. ( At a thrillingly glacial pace... :eyesroll:)

The Virgin Tour in the Like A Virgin SDE and so on... :)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Robertson II said:

Happy 32nd Anniversary Blond Ambition Tour!!!

32nd Anniversary and counting, still we haven't receive any decent release for this tour. (Except for VHS and LD releases of Yokohama and Nice)

I know it’s criminal that one of the most iconic tours STILL has no full official release when there are about half a dozen shows to choose from - seeing as laserdiscs phased out over 20 years ago there is no way this is a rights issue anymore I’m sorry - even if Paris footage is lost whats stopping other shows ?  Don’t even get me started on RIT or VT?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...