Blond Ambition and Re-Invention tours - who owns the rights?

Little Angel

The Japanese BAT shows were filmed in early HD technology. Japan had an HD broadcast system much earlier than the rest of the world. It was an interlaced analog version equivalent to 1035i. If those recordings still exist, they could be converted and mastered to HD blu-ray.  If the VT raw film still exists, that could be made into a very nice HD blu-ray.

On 4/12/2020 at 5:45 AM, litemakr said:

The Japanese BAT shows were filmed in early HD technology. Japan had an HD broadcast system much earlier than the rest of the world. It was an interlaced analog version equivalent to 1035i. If those recordings still exist, they could be converted and mastered to HD blu-ray.  If the VT raw film still exists, that could be made into a very nice HD blu-ray.

Are you sure? Any source?

1 hour ago, scion said:

Are you sure? Any source?

It was reported at the time (1990) and I was in the film/tv industry so it was noteworthy.  I'm sure there is a source out there if you did some searching.

Here's some info on the HDTV system broadcast in Japan starting in the late 80s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_sub-Nyquist_sampling_encoding

There was a short lived Japanese HD home video format called Muse Hi-Vision that had a few disc releases, but no Madonna titles. 

HiVision.thumb.jpg.a9047e0d905818dcc5662ec9958ec1f6.jpg

On 4/12/2020 at 4:45 AM, litemakr said:

true, but would Madonna release the Japan show or have legal rights to it? It is true the Yoko show was done is much better quality than the Nice show and they could actually release it... but I doubt she has any interest in releasing BAT.

13 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

true, but would Madonna release the Japan show or have legal rights to it? It is true the Yoko show was done is much better quality than the Nice show and they could actually release it... but I doubt she has any interest in releasing BAT.

She should listen to her fans, it's one of her most beloved concerts ever. For sure it would sell a lot, much more than any of her concerts that were released after it.

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

Sorry but the quality of the Nice show is far better than Yokohoma. Nice captured the lighting very well, not as good as Paris, but decent. Yoko barely has any of the color lighting. It also lacks any depth, and no stage cameras.

What I meant in quality is picture and audio quality. The Nice show is worsh in picture and audio quality

Just now, Bat-Fan said:

Visually? What do you mean? The actual quality, as in technology is better in the yoko show

I didn’t say technically.

Visually, yes, the Nice show looks professional with professional lenses, and captured so much depth and light. They used diffusers to make sure the lighting was present on camera. They had cameras on stage. It’s a million times better visually. 

I don’t care about the technicals of what was shot in what video system and format. It’s the look.

2 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I disagree. Visually, it’s better quality imo

I don't know what you are basing it on, bootleg DVDs or Youtube? If you compare the LD or the master tapes of Yoko and Nice you clearly see superior tecnology on the Japan recording? She wont release just any shit. If you are just talking about you like the Nice visually that is not the same as "video quality" and yes yoko was underlit and dark but Nice was also seriously overlid with all these added neon color lights. The pink/purple lit set piece on express yourself is terrible and the lightong on Holiday is just crazy. Also Madonna would never release a show with such terrible vocals

3 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I didn’t say technically.

Visually, yes, the Nice show looks professional with professional lenses, and captured so much depth and light. They used diffusers to make sure the lighting was present on camera. They had cameras on stage. It’s a million times better visually. 

I don’t care about the technicals of what was shot in what video system and format. It’s the look.

I understand, but she would care. The reason the lights are like that on yomo is also the wind that kept blowing the smoke away, the lights dont work witbout the smoke. Nice is more cinemographic true but it has its problems too.

1 minute ago, deathproof said:

There’s no depth in Yoko. It’s the same cameras and lenses every night shown on the Jumbotron. They didn’t use diffusers to capture any lighting. It looks dead.

Well Nice is dead as an option to release it for reasons I already stated. So we just have to accept this. What do you mean diffusers btw?

33 minutes ago, deathproof said:

There’s no depth in Yoko. It’s the same cameras and lenses every night shown on the Jumbotron. They didn’t use diffusers to capture any lighting. It’s not a wind issue. It’s not a fog issue. It’s the lack of diffusers.

It looks dead.

If you rewatch Yoko there are cameras on stage too, it is not just the screen image put on a release and yes the wind had huge affect, look when the wind stops for a sec, then the lights appear, you need smoke for proper lighting? You do know this? Here is Tokyo. Looks pretty similar to Yoko, very dark. They kept adding and adding lights throughout the show. In Barcelona and Nice, they went way too far with the colored lights, it looks overlit and those neon colors are painful to watch. I think the US shows had it right. Too bad we dont have a good quality version of a US show

I’m starting to think that M is not releasing this show just to spite us now - How long have fans been asking for this to be released? Probably since ciao Italia and the girlie show we’re released like 15 years ago or more - I don’t believe all this rights bollocks at all - at the end of the day it’s her music and she can damn well afford to pay off pioneer or whoever owns the rights to BA - it was released 30 years ago on laserdisc !!!!  the same goes for the Re-Invention tour Paris footage - I find it hard to believe that show doesn’t exist in full too ?

4 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

I’m starting to think that M is not releasing this show just to spite us now - How long have fans been asking for this to be released? Probably since ciao Italia and the girlie show we’re released like 15 years ago or more - I don’t believe all this rights bollocks at all - at the end of the day it’s her music and she can damn well afford to pay off pioneer or whoever owns the rights to BA - it was released 30 years ago on laserdisc !!!!  the same goes for the Re-Invention tour Paris footage - I find it hard to believe that show doesn’t exist in full too ?

Exactly. All of these are stories invented by fans to hope, expect and wait forever. Let's see the truth guys, she doesn't care and we won't get it from her... When she'll pass away maybe but M doesn't care of anniversary. She just post things on youtube or instagram to keep her fans alive. Every time the same stories...

On 4/11/2020 at 10:00 PM, itsleander said:

@RinoTheBouncerExactly! I have seen so many SD footage being remastered into 4K and 60fps and it looks gorgeous.

It's amazing so many in the fandom are creative like that, but it's a pity fans have to take matter in their own hands.

Yes! Like even this software aside, many movies that are shot on digital HD are upscaled and edited to look sharper even when they aren’t true 4K taken from actual 4K original footage or  from the original master film like 60s and 70s movie remasters. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 4:45 AM, litemakr said:

Do you think she could legally release the Yoko show because it can be upscaled? Maybe she just dorsnt want to ?

Guest Nobody Knows Me
18 minutes ago, Andymad said:

Oh man the Japan show is so BORING

It feels more like a dress rehearsal than a full concert but if they can get it restored I’ll take it.