Blond Ambition Tour | Paris

Andymad

Well, I think the show is completly recorded.

Even Alek said once that it was recorded but the nobody knew where the tapes were. Madonna talked about the lost recordings too. People working there said that the show was recorded completly too... They recorded the Tokyo shows (for what some people say), Yokohama, Barcelona, New Jersey, Houston, Boston, Nice and they decided to record just some songs from Paris???

I can understand the part of "When we recorded the shows we knew more or less what we wanted to add to the documentary" but I think it would be easier to film everything at least one of the shows than "Come on, record "Express yourself" but no "Open your heart" but hey "Causing a commotion" must be recorded but not "Where's the party"... I think it's a little strange.

Maybe they didn't use all the 22 cameras for the whole show but I'm sure that those songs were recorded too.

4 hours ago, scamper said:

Even Alek said once that it was recorded but the nobody knew where the tapes were. Madonna talked about the lost recordings too. People working there said that the show was recorded completly too... They recorded the Tokyo shows (for what some people say), Yokohama, Barcelona, New Jersey, Houston, Boston, Nice and they decided to record just some songs from Paris???

I can understand the part of "When we recorded the shows we knew more or less what we wanted to add to the documentary" but I think it would be easier to film everything at least one of the shows than "Come on, record "Express yourself" but no "Open your heart" but hey "Causing a commotion" must be recorded but not "Where's the party"... I think it's a little strange.

Maybe they didn't use all the 22 cameras for the whole show but I'm sure that those songs were recorded too.

Seriously. I get you

10 hours ago, scamper said:

You've got the director himself saying it was not - he makes it pretty clear and gives a reason for it. The Paris shows might have been recorded in full the same way as the rest of her shows but NOT with Alek's crew and not under his direction which is the whole point of this discussion - how amazing it would be to have the whole Blond Ambition show filmed the way the performances in Truth or Dare were captured.

I am starting to wonder if they were shot in full. If you watch the bootleg Paris shows, you don't see cameras or cranes operating during the other songs, granted those bootlegs are not great, and maybe there are cameras going and you just can't see due to the angle, but if memory serves me, I don't recall seeing cranes in songs that were not in ToD.

I do find it odd that Alek could have had any idea what they would want prior to being in the editing room, it seems odd not to record in full just in case, how could Alek possibly have known in advance which songs would service the doco, especially before the tour was over. 

Also Toby Phillips seems to have a more detailed memory of shooting the shows, and he is clear that they did all three in full and that he was more in charge of the shoot over Alek.

1 hour ago, me1981 said:

I am starting to wonder if they were shot in full. If you watch the bootleg Paris shows, you don't see cameras or cranes operating during the other songs, granted those bootlegs are not great, and maybe there are cameras going and you just can't see due to the angle, but if memory serves me, I don't recall seeing cranes in songs that were not in ToD.

I do find it odd that Alek could have had any idea what they would want prior to being in the editing room, it seems odd not to record in full just in case, how could Alek possibly have known in advance which songs would service the doco, especially before the tour was over. 

Also Toby Phillips seems to have a more detailed memory of shooting the shows, and he is clear that they did all three in full and that he was more in charge of the shoot over Alek.

Basically we know nothing more now than 20 years ago. Some say it was shot in full and some say it wasn't but all are really convincing so probably we will never know. It really is a shame.

4 hours ago, kesiak said:

You've got the director himself saying it was not - he makes it pretty clear and gives a reason for it. The Paris shows might have been recorded in full the same way as the rest of her shows but NOT with Alek's crew and not under his direction which is the whole point of this discussion - how amazing it would be to have the whole Blond Ambition show filmed the way the performances in Truth or Dare were captured.

Yes, the same director that years ago, when he was asked for it told that they didn't have the original masters. That were on a warehouse of the company who made the film. And the same director that in 1991 told that the 3 concerts were recorded completly. Why didn't he say that it wasn't recorded then???

I think they are tired of answering the same question over and over again and depending of the moment or the person we have different answers. I think the answers or "They are lost" or "It was no recorded" are something like "That's all, don't keep asking for it, we're tired of the same old question".

3 hours ago, me1981 said:

Well he pretty much explains that in the interview. He had already pieced the documentary together in his mind by the time they got to Paris (which was very close to the end of the tour.)

Also, I imagine the reason they would not film the entire thing on 22 cameras for the sake of it is to cut costs. Shooting on film is way more expensive. But for sure there were songs shot that did not make the cut (Causing a Commotion, Hanky Panky, Like a Prayer.) Perhaps there are others we don't know about also.

2 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Source?

Exclusive interview to Alek Keshisian in Cannes 1991. I can't remember the exact magazine but I'm sure that it was Fotogramas or FilmAffinity. I've been collecting articles and magazines about Madonna since 1984 but I know I have them somewhere. I'll try to look for them and take a picture of the article.

I remember they asked him about the live show and he said that they recorded "The three nights" in Paris and that it was a shame that people couldn't see the whole show because the movie was too long and they even had to edit the songs used on the movie and that it was a shame people couldn't see the full show in that quality in the movie finishing it with a "Maybe someday...".

Once again, when Madonna was asked about releasing the "Blond Ambition Tour" she said that first she had to find the masters. I think what really happens is that they don't care about it at all or maybe that she doesn't know that the show wasn't recorded completly...

About the cost of recording it... Well, we have all the special cameras there. Everything prepared. The crew working on that... Where's the difference about recording 10 songs or 18? They could even record 2 nights instead of the three if they wanted to cut costs.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:15 PM, scamper said:

It was recorded on film, not tape. Recording a show that's almost 120 mins in length, requires switching out film reels. It's not that practical of process, not an easy one at that.  So it makes sense for them to only film certain songs for the TOD film.

5 hours ago, deathproof said:

BUT!

Can anyone confirm or deny this:

http://www.hiddendvdeastereggs.com/films/34191.html

I've tried this with my 2012 re-release dvd, and that easter egg doesn't seem to exist.

But maybe it only works on the original DVD pressings from 97?

I have the original DVD... but I was hoping the Easter egg would be Express Yourself in full. I no longer own a DVD player so I can’t confirm this...

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2018 at 9:07 PM, kesiak said:

People keep repeating this (in relation to Re-Invention Tour as well) but it makes absolutely no sense. Firstly, everyone would be getting paid for their time regardless (might as well shoot everything in that case). Secondly, you don't know exactly what you're going to use while making a movie (documentary especially) - when they were doing the Paris shows there was no way to know what actual footage is going to fit into the final movie and what performances would suit the story arch.

Even if movie cameras did not film entire concert, it is filmed for an audience screens like any other show on tour. But who would be that "crazy" to get all Paris footage and edit entire new DVD/BluRay 28 years after? No profit there... and there are plenty of laserdisc rip bootlegs around with full shows from Nice and Yokohama + tv broadcast from Barcelona, not to mention that Houston concert that leaked. We only have 1 show pro-shot from last 5 tours, and Blond Ambition has 4 full + one partial from Paris pro-shots out there. Just saying

• 2 weeks later...
  • madgefan changed the title to Blond Ambition Tour | Paris
  • madgefan pinned and pinned this topic
  • madgefan unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm really amazed BAT wasn't filmed in it's entirety by Alek and then released as a stand alone concert video to Truth or Dare (aka In Bed with Madonna). BAT was the concert which really changed the game in how concerts are done today.