Let's talk about Hard Candy!

MadgeSlave

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thin she really wanted that cross between Future Sex Love Sound + Loose meets Love Angel Music Baby and got this weird hybrid of both. I think the album would have been 100% more successful if she had just stuck with Timbaland and had an edgier more adult contemporary album with electro hip hip sounds. Everything felt a bit too farmed out and she used a bunch of buy ins and rehashed songs from abandoned projects. The experimental stuff like Incredible & Spanish Lesson sounded like Frankensongs. Gwen pulls off kooky well because she has that sort of energy. 

Madonna was serving big

AcclaimedAffectionateBullmastiff-max-14m

on Spanish Lesson, Incredible and the Get Stupid parts of Give It 2 Me.

The artwork is more colonic than Iconic. (the original boxer cover artwork was so much better). 

and personally the way a certain portion of her fanbase big Candy Shop up as some sort of lost classic and stand by Madonnas trolling of it is frankly part and parcel of the reason we are where we are in terms of career trajectory.

Don't applaud and encourage when the train is going off the tracks. I genuinely feel like this is the second instance of fans laughing at Madonna and not with her (Me Against The Music being the first). My Sugar Is Raw? .....?? the fuck?

I genuinely think MDNA is a more interesting insight to her state of mind post divorce. Yes the end product is largely turgid but at least it's kind of a real representation of her mindset lyrically and emotionaly.

Everything about Hard Candy feels trite, resigned, unemotional, cold contract obligation filling and try hard. Overall MDNA has a handful of better tracks that feel like Madonna songs rather than Nichole Sherzy, Gwen  and Rih Rih Riheats.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I'm listening to this album since a long time. I hate this album so much. 4 Minutes it's great, probably her best modern-day single ever. Fantastic song, very catchy, but fresh at the same time. The rest of the album is one big: reductive shit. First of all the sound is outdated in early 2008 - work of Timbaland and Justin were so 2006/2007. She just made it/released it too late. Miles Away it's great but doesn't fit album anyway. The album cover still is haunting me. Having a song called "Candy Shop" she should came with candy-idea at the beginning. Spanish Lesson it's a lyrical nightmare. I like only CS, 4M, Give It 2 Me, Miles Away and that's it.... Kanye it's a music genius, but Beat Goes On it's pretty boring.

I like only 4 songs and only one i love (4M) :dead:

Edited by Mateusz Klimecki (see edit history)

This album had some really cool remixes. Aside from Aaron LaCrate's mix of "Miles Away", which makes me cringe. Did that mix make anyone else scratch their heads?

Sly and Robbie's mix of "Give It To Me" was a nice surprise. I LOVED Oakenfold's mix and thought thats what the whole album should have sounded like at the time. The Johnny Vicious mix of Miles Away. Stuart's mix. Peter's mixes of 4 Minutes and Miles Away. I liked the Rebirth mix of 4 Minutes more than the original.

Candy Shop should have been remixed for club promo. 

On 1/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, steady75 said:

I thin she really wanted that cross between Future Sex Love Sound + Loose meets Love Angel Music Baby and got this weird hybrid of both. I think the album would have been 100% more successful if she had just stuck with Timbaland and had an edgier more adult contemporary album with electro hip hip sounds. Everything felt a bit too farmed out and she used a bunch of buy ins and rehashed songs from abandoned projects. The experimental stuff like Incredible & Spanish Lesson sounded like Frankensongs. Gwen pulls off kooky well because she has that sort of energy. 

[...]

and personally the way a certain portion of her fanbase big Candy Shop up as some sort of lost classic and stand by Madonnas trolling of it is frankly part and parcel of the reason we are where we are in terms of career trajectory.

Don't applaud and encourage when the train is going off the tracks. I genuinely feel like this is the second instance of fans laughing at Madonna and not with her (Me Against The Music being the first). My Sugar Is Raw? .....?? the fuck?

[...]

I full agree with your first paragraph there.

I‘m amazed how much I have to disagree with the last two. It’s like 

No Way What GIF by NBA

You are Love Spent but keep knocking up the Candy Store? 

Also, she was pissed because Warner didn't let her release Candy Shop as a first single, but I'm happy Warner went for those single because they were perfect. As boring as 4 minutes sounds to me, it was her last top 5 in America and second to last top 10. This album was FULL of potential singles. I could have easily seen Heartbeat, Devil wouldn't recognize you, She's not me and Beat goes on all get single treatment, and it hadn't been her last album with Warner, maybe they would have. 

The fact that The Pet Shop boys were lined up to do the album and then the record company went in a different direction. A literal nightmare. I don’t think I’ll ever get over that. Pet Shop Boys and Madonna is THE perfect match I just can’t believe it never happened and we got what we did. A bunch of Sherzy leftovers and Gwen in bad drag. 
Make it make sense!?! 

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2021 at 5:31 PM, steady75 said:

The fact that The Pet Shop boys were lined up to do the album and then the record company went in a different direction. A literal nightmare. I don’t think I’ll ever get over that. Pet Shop Boys and Madonna is THE perfect match I just can’t believe it never happened and we got what we did. A bunch of Sherzy leftovers and Gwen in bad drag. 
Make it make sense!?! 

Yeah, I imagine Stuart Price would have been involved too seeing as he went onto produce PSB. It does seem like she took a sharp left turn, musically. I still don't get why she would let Warners dictate what type of album she should make. Did she ever do that before? Was it a kiss-off to Warners? It's like something happened to her after the LiveEarth show.

On 1/29/2021 at 1:45 AM, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

As cringey as the title Hard Candy is, I've learned to like the tacky cover (which was obviously supposed to be tacky). 

No, it wasn’t. The artwork was a completely different one originally (although it used the same hideous picture of her – seriously, she looked so beautiful in the video for 4M, who really thought the image used on the cover was good?) and the cans background was squeezed in at the very last minute. 

6 hours ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

No, it wasn’t. The artwork was a completely different one originally (although it used the same hideous picture of her – seriously, she looked so beautiful in the video for 4M, who really thought the image used on the cover was good?) and the cans background was squeezed in at the very last minute. 

Madonna wanted the cover to look like that. The commercials for the album also have the same "vintage-tacky" theme going on. It might have been decided at the last minute, but the tackiness was intentional