Unpopular Madonna Opinions

RebelHeARTPOP

Artistically, I have mostly adored Madonna. However, I find the level of corporate capitalism espoused by her in such contrast with her message in recent years that I am often angered by what seemingly amounts to superficiality and a drive away from her artistic legacy. Example: Her interview with Vice in which she normalized her motivation for making Secret Project as a result of having her underwear designs rejected for commercial exploitation while claiming that there is too much "corporate branding", a theme she opened her Rebel Heart tour with.

Oh. And the grillz.

Artistically, I have mostly adored Madonna. However, I find the level of corporate capitalism espoused by her in such contrast with her message in recent years that I am often angered by what seemingly amounts to superficiality and a drive away from her artistic legacy. Example: Her interview with Vice in which she normalized her motivation for making Secret Project as a result of having her underwear designs rejected for commercial exploitation while claiming that there is too much "corporate branding", a theme she opened her Rebel Heart tour with.

Oh. And the grillz.

I don't know a single soul in this world who thinks wearing grillz makes her look cool, so that could be a very popular opinion!

Sent from my GT-I9060M using Tapatalk

Oh. And the grillz.

the corporate branding bit from RHT is from secret project lol.

but yes there's a contrast between the message she tries to put across on Secret Project and the way she goes about her career on the regular.

I'm not interested in the gyms, clothes and other products. All I care about is her as an artist and her taking her work seriously and improving with time. Here's hoping we will see more consistency with that. I have accepted her doing other things (cos I dont have a choice lol) but as long as the music is as good as Rebel Heart then we good.

I hate the album Like A Prayer. It's praised and bathed lavishness, but it doesn't do anything for me. For instance, I'm like crazy about keeping my books and CDs in as good a shape as I can. Like A Prayer sat on my desk in a random spot upside down for five months collecting dust and maybe a scratch or two and I never once felt the need to do anything about it. #RebelHeart 

Another "unpopular opinion"; The exclusion of LDLHA and other edits don't ruin the Rebel Heart Tour for me. Nor do I have an issue with the edits.

This. I think for me it's that we lose a song that's never been done on tour and end up with another Like A Virgin and Like A Prayer version.

Either way I'm just happy to have an official product.

GUYS... am I the only one that finds Act of Contrition fucking weird? I mean I've read a post on here some time ago that explains it but... Jesus Christ how do you create something like that? Was she high? HOWEVER. The way she used it on the BAT before Like A Prayer... was incredible. Bahahaha god I'm strange.

Yes, it's strange and it always was. LAP was her fist "concept" album so the track fits the project : a concept album may not feature only pop tracks and would-be-singles, but also musical experiments and studio bits. She was one of the first to put out such a "song" on a much anticipated release.

It was bold, it was definitely no single material, it alienated many young fans with no musical culture, but that's when the critics started to take her seriously. Her plan had worked.

Michael Jackson used to use a lot of sound effects and ad libs INSIDE the songs (which made listening to his albums like Bad in full quite wearisome), Prince had many versions of his hits and he was such a respected performer, it was her way of stating her musicianship : she wasn't going to record Into the Groove over and over or dance in wedding dresses, expect her to go off limits and not only aim at chart-topping and PR stunts.

After her, many pop albums would include in some way an interlude, a hidden track, a skit, an outro or many... See Janet & Mariah, for example.

My "unpopular opinions" are:

01. I hate "Holiday" album version. For me six minutes are too long. I like the album edit (but not love it) but I have to admit that when I saw "Holiday" live on her concerts it was incredible the reaction of the people. That's why I only like "Holiday" live versions.

02. I don't like "Live to tell" and "Take a bow". I can't say that they are bad songs but I usually skip them. On the other hand I love songs like "Shoo-bee-doo", "Jimmy, Jimmy" or "Don't stop" that everybody seems to hate.

03. For me "Ray of light" was great just for the moment it was made. In 1998 I listened the album all day and I thought it was fantastic. Everybody seems to love it but for me, now the only songs that I listen are "Swim", "Nothing really matters" and "The power of goodbye". I prefer the Calderone remix of "Frozen" than the album version. Once again, I can't say is a bad album but I think it grow old really bad. If I had to chose between "Ray of light" or "MDNA" I would choose "MDNA", for me this album is even more underrated than "American life".

I hate the album Like A Prayer. It's praised and bathed lavishness, but it doesn't do anything for me. For instance, I'm like crazy about keeping my books and CDs in as good a shape as I can. Like A Prayer sat on my desk in a random spot upside down for five months collecting dust and maybe a scratch or two and I never once felt the need to do anything about it. #RebelHeart 

blasphemy.

:Madonna009:

Oh here's one. Blond Ambition World Tour is overrated.

It's just a recreation of the Like A Prayer and I'm Breathless looks translated onto the stage.

Drowned World Tour was amazing that she had to cover both Ray of Light and Music and then sprinkled in Evita and Bedtime Stories too. There was no correlation of looks between her main studio albums that everything was fresh.

more unpopular opinions:

- i really don't understand why outtakes and leaks are all the hype to people.

- the hysteria with the rebel heart dvd release is crazy.

Ha!  I agree with you on these.  Regarding the "Leaks", I love them nevertheless, but my opinion is they were not used or included on the albums for a reason. Just because I think they are great, does it mean Madonna and her team felt the same.  It's interesting because before "Leaks" started happening, most fans had no idea the demos existed.  The albums released were respected "as is".  But I've noticed since the leaks started happening, more fans go nuts over the demos, questioning her reasoning in their exclusion, etc.  I personally don't rationalize why she included one song over another.  I'm not in the studio, nor there to know her mindset.  I do know she has a quirky sense of humor which explains some odd songs on her albums. 

With regards to leaks, I think for the majority of the time, Madonna made the right choice with which songs to include/exclude. Especially in terms of Rebel Heart, none of the outtakes really feel like they would've worked as released material, aside from perhaps Queen. There's only a few occasions where I think her choices were questionable - Liquid Love, for one, is a track that would've improved Music.