Will Madonna Ever Have A Hit Single Again?

baymad4her

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

madfan13_86

Come to terms with her legacy? In case you haven't noticed, she's putting together her biopic. So she's revisiting her past in her own way, at her own pace and in the way she wants to do it.  Moreover, I think she's actually been flirting with her legacy for a while, just not in a very obvious way (which is her right too). She often likes to reuse her old lyrics (like "Vogue" on "Holy Water", or even "Don't Tell Me" in "Future"), posts old photos on her IG, and I'm pretty sure Madame X is t

Husam Elzien

Honestly, I think her disdain of deeply revisiting her past has now reached a point of backfiring. In the politics of women in music, Madonna managed to maintain relevancy chart wise well past the "expiration" years because she still had killer hits and the appeal to back her up. But there was a shift in her public persona that started during MDNA where some of the things she said or did for shock-value or controversy came across as desperate and/or an attempt to keep up with Katy, Gaga, Beyonce

Mden

https://twitter.com/GodnessMadame marcus @GodnessMadame How to help Madonna’s upcoming 2 new songs to become hits- a thread 10:44 PM · May 31, 2023 · 1. First of all, stream the songs. And I mean as much as you can. Create playlists with both of the songs, but always put 2-3 different tracks in between them so they don’t get filtered out. Play on atleast 25% volume 2. Buy the songs on itunes if you can. Purchase all the versions available. This will boost the song

Posted Images

3 hours ago, MerBoy13 said:

Even though Kylies is doing well it still hasn't hit number 1. Its doing well virally and in terms of sales and the song is great but it's just streaming its ruined everything.

How has it "ruined" everything?  Streaming is how most people consume music.  Charts are based on how music are consumed and how well it sells. Streaming simply adds another option for an artist to be heard.  Radio still plays a huge role in charting on many popular airplay/top 40 charts, but streaming is only helping that artist gain more exposure. 

I don't know where Kylie stands with her current single, but I'm sure it's still quite impressive considering that she's an older artist that doesn't have the same opportunities to be heard as a lot of younger mainstream artists.

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

It’s only been out for 1 week

Back in the day when something released it charted asap (usually). Anyone can stream a song but to go out and buy and have that record mean something to that person is something more precious to be honest.

42 minutes ago, MerBoy13 said:

Back in the day when something released it charted asap (usually). Anyone can stream a song but to go out and buy and have that record mean something to that person is something more precious to be honest.

Hmm? "Back in the day", a song usually took longer to chart if not ascend up a chart.  It was rare for a song to be released and immediately go top 10 or #1.  These days, many songs immediately debut in the top 10 if not hit #1.  These days, it's more about instant success.  This is why many artist's albums may debut high the first week, and then plummet the next.  That's because music is easily and more accessible when bought and heard.  Most sales and consumption is done in that first week.  Back when Madonna first started, albums and singles usually took time to move up the chart, but that's because people didn't always run out and buy music the first week it's released.  A lot of that is due to the fact as mentioned, everything is "instant" these days.  People are more aware of what's being released at the moment when it's release, unlike someone walking into a music store every few weeks and discovering one of their favorite acts may have released a new record.  They didn't have the multitude of mediums to keep them up to date on what's being released like we do now. 

I do agree with your assessment regarding buying versus streaming, especially if you are referring to a physical copy.  To me, that is far more satisfying than streaming your favorite artists.  I prefer something tangible.  Streaming is nice and convenient when you want to hear something you might not be instantly incline to buy or on the fence about.  It's also more portable and be done anywhere, unlike playing a physical Vinyl, CD or Cassette. 

9 minutes ago, Mden said:

It was also rare for an artist to have multiple songs charting in the top ten the same week. 
Now an artist can log 9 or even all of the top ten spots the same week in the billboard charts. 

That where it gets crazy for me, because they don't even have to be officially released singles to chart.  But then again, everyone has that opportunity to chart like that, but the difference is some artists do not have the same mainstream access as others.  The music business seems to cater more to some hot act in their early uprising than someone who has been in the business for multiple decades.  For many artists, to get top 40 airplay, you have to be under 40 to get fair play, or your reduced or limited to a smaller demographic.  At least with streaming, it's fair game to any demographic or artist.

8 minutes ago, animalinstinct said:

I’m pretty sure the Sam Smith collab will chart, especially in the UK. ‘They’ have very strong streaming numbers and with a lot of media interest already, but let’s see.

After Unholy their last 2 singles charted at #60 and #23 in the uk. So yes it will probably chart.

If the song is really good it could go higher than that.

23 minutes ago, animalinstinct said:

I’m pretty sure the Sam Smith collab will chart, especially in the UK. ‘They’ have very strong streaming numbers and with a lot of media interest already, but let’s see.

I also feel Madonna is seeing a surge of love again in the UK as well, so being that Sam Smith is native to that country and enjoying some success, it's bound to do well.  Now for the U.S., and certain other regions, it's a crap shoot, especially in the U.S.

I would guess the song must be very good for her to be involved in it as close to the launch of the Celebration Tour… as others have mentioned Sam has a lot of her blueprint in their approach to artistic expression in this era to so that is another reason for her to be involved. Hopefully it will be successful and liked by the fans and general public as well. 

24 minutes ago, LongIslandTea said:

10 years with LN/Interscope is a wasted effort.

Took away her chance of getting any single chart success.

Even with all the payola, GMAYL (or <Insert any songs from LN albums>) was clearly struggling on worldwide charts

I think the Live Nation deal centered on her moneymaking potential as a touring artist. I think it was a lucrative deal for both her and LN. She was able to reach millions of concert goers and enabled them to experience her recent outputs live instead of through radio and videos. Smart move since radio wasn’t playing her. I think.

8 hours ago, Mden said:

I think the Live Nation deal centered on her moneymaking potential as a touring artist. I think it was a lucrative deal for both her and LN. She was able to reach millions of concert goers and enabled them to experience her recent outputs live instead of through radio and videos. Smart move since radio wasn’t playing her. I think.

Totally agree.  Interscope was simply a distributor.  It was all up to Madonna and her management to find ways to promote the singles and album.  Live Nations was supposed to pick up that slack and even be a distributor, but they are the one who failed Madonna. 

On 5/30/2023 at 2:44 PM, LongIslandTea said:

10 years with LN/Interscope is a wasted effort.

Took away her chance of getting any single chart success.

Even with all the payola, GMAYL (or <Insert any songs from LN albums>) was clearly struggling on worldwide charts

thats because it was shit song - they didnt choose the right singles for that album - just like AL should have never been a single let alone the title of the album- its just bad management ...

I absolutely luv kylie and have been a fan right from the start. Shes a national treasure here in Australia. Padam Padam is amazing and deserves all the chart success.  although the media has jumped on the kylie bandwagon and she hasnt cracked the top 20 yet in australia and Uk. But its is her biggest charting single in years.

These next few weeks will be interesting for M in terms of Charts, as she really hasnt collaborated with an artist of these big selling numbers since Justin and Nicki.  The Weeknd and Sam smith are huge.  It will create an enormous amount of interest. Vulgar lloks like it will have all the shock value and Popular has huge buzz around it with "The Idol".

We really could have some chart action around the world

On 5/31/2023 at 12:03 AM, Mden said:

Except that it forced her to spit out uninspired albums at a certain frequency, if she wanted to inject her tours with new music.

6 hours ago, Starchild said:

Except that it forced her to spit out uninspired albums at a certain frequency, if she wanted to inject her tours with new music.

Forced or not she always delivers with her albums. I’ve never been disappointed. In fact the ones you consider uninspired are among my favorites. 

https://twitter.com/GodnessMadame
marcus

@GodnessMadame

How to help Madonna’s upcoming 2 new songs to become hits- a thread

10:44 PM · May 31, 2023

·

1. First of all, stream the songs. And I mean as much as you can. Create playlists with both of the songs, but always put 2-3 different tracks in between them so they don’t get filtered out. Play on atleast 25% volume

2. Buy the songs on itunes if you can. Purchase all the versions available. This will boost the song’s sales massively

3. Shazam the songs. Play them on one device and use shazam on a different one. The more shazams a song has, the more it will be played by radio stations.

4. Request radios to play the song. There will be plenty of links available once the songs are released, whether by me or different accounts. Airplay is extremely important for the songs longer run.

5. Spread hashtags and tweets with the titles of the songs. If the they trend on twitter or other social media, there’s a bigger chance general public will play them.

6. Post or support tiktoks that use the sounds with the songs. If you want to, you can even create a dance/ challenge. The more the sound is used on tiktok, the more likely it is to go viral.

Thanks for reading. Of course, all of these steps are just advices and it’s totally okay if you just listen to the songs and enjoy them. I made this thread only for the hardcore fans that care about the song’s performance.