Will Madonna Ever Have A Hit Single Again?

baymad4her

mdna wasnt bad music lol 

Different opinions, obviously. But I think most of us agree that GMAYL isn’t very good and as the first single, it had the biggest chance to become a hit. If it was great, Superbowl might have given it some steam instead of just pushing it to #10 for a single week.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

madfan13_86

Come to terms with her legacy? In case you haven't noticed, she's putting together her biopic. So she's revisiting her past in her own way, at her own pace and in the way she wants to do it.  Moreover, I think she's actually been flirting with her legacy for a while, just not in a very obvious way (which is her right too). She often likes to reuse her old lyrics (like "Vogue" on "Holy Water", or even "Don't Tell Me" in "Future"), posts old photos on her IG, and I'm pretty sure Madame X is t

Husam Elzien

Honestly, I think her disdain of deeply revisiting her past has now reached a point of backfiring. In the politics of women in music, Madonna managed to maintain relevancy chart wise well past the "expiration" years because she still had killer hits and the appeal to back her up. But there was a shift in her public persona that started during MDNA where some of the things she said or did for shock-value or controversy came across as desperate and/or an attempt to keep up with Katy, Gaga, Beyonce

Mden

https://twitter.com/GodnessMadame marcus @GodnessMadame How to help Madonna’s upcoming 2 new songs to become hits- a thread 10:44 PM · May 31, 2023 · 1. First of all, stream the songs. And I mean as much as you can. Create playlists with both of the songs, but always put 2-3 different tracks in between them so they don’t get filtered out. Play on atleast 25% volume 2. Buy the songs on itunes if you can. Purchase all the versions available. This will boost the song

Posted Images

8 hours ago, NickiFinn said:

wrong it was number 1 the next day and gmal top ten the next day. have several seats

The next day? Are you sure about that? The album was released over a month later. The single did indeed reach top 10 the next day, but then plummeted to 39 a week later, and then disappeared... here, take that seat .

3 hours ago, adamsapple said:

when it comes to madonna albums i would put it at the bottom in terms of quality but it was not shite ...it had some gems on it ..masterpiece , falling free , love spent , beautiful killer , gang bang , im addicted 

She didn't write most of those songs herself. MDNA was LAZY

She didn't write most of those songs herself. MDNA was LAZY

With the unfortunate exception of “Hey You” she hasn’t written any of her songs entirely by herself since the mid-80s and I don’t see why she should have. She’s co-written almost all of her songs (including all of MDNA) which is more than most pop singers.

9 hours ago, adamsapple said:

she didnt write most of her songs all by herself ...so ..

The difference being she wrote most of her songs, but on MDNA, she wrote like half of them. Masterpiece, Falling free, Love spent, I'm a sinner, Turn up the radio... they were all written before they got to Madonna, she just changed a word or two to be credited. She had entirely different approaches with the other albums. Like, Mirwais didn't even speak good English back in the day so we can safely assume she wrote 100% of the lyrics for AL. 

I think that she'd really have to conform to the current trends in music and I just don't think that would work or that it would even be possible.

The music industry is constantly changing and music has become really warped in the past few years. Young people really decide what the hits are and some of them don't even know Madonna's music, so a lot of them (not all of them) really don't have any respect or regard for her.

I don't think she'll have another hit, but that doesn't take away from the longevity of her career and the fact that she's gone farther, broken more boundaries and been more successful than a lot of other artists.

11 minutes ago, Mister_Pop said:

What are we calling a hit exactly ?

Medellin is out since wednesday and after 4 days is #4 iTunes Worldwide. Let's see what will happen next, but it sure has hit potential IMO.

iTunes don't really mean anything anymore, that's just the fans buying it. It's all about streaming and it's not in the top 200 on Spotify in UK 

13 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

iTunes don't really mean anything anymore, that's just the fans buying it. It's all about streaming and it's not in the top 200 on Spotify in UK 

You're right ! But people who buy don't necessarily stream, even if they listen to death, and they paid for it. That's so weird...

On Spotify, Medellin is #107 global

As for apple music UK #21 it seems according to this chart

https://www.doipod.com/apple-music-uk-top-100/

But I don't really understand this link as it's the same position as iTunes. Are they combined ?

Is there a proper Apple Music chart we can go to, like Spotify ?

23 hours ago, Mister_Pop said:

You're right ! But people who buy don't necessarily stream, even if they listen to death, and they paid for it. That's so weird...

On Spotify, Medellin is #107 global

As for apple music UK #21 it seems according to this chart

https://www.doipod.com/apple-music-uk-top-100/

But I don't really understand this link as it's the same position as iTunes. Are they combined ?

Is there a proper Apple Music chart we can go to, like Spotify ?

I got no idea where you get streaming info from and or how they work it out really :thinker:

She's just been gone too long and not delivered enough.

In an age where consumers and fans demand more and more content than ever before she's delivered less and less and less.

• No one off singles to bridge the gap between albums,
  • Double her historical average of 2 year break between records.  ( its now 4 years)
  • No re-editions of past releases for her fans
  • No features on prolific and current artists singles

DECADE: 1998 (2.5 years) 2000 (3 years) 2003 (2 years) 2005 (3 years) 2008 

25 singles

22 videos

2 guest features on other albums

DECADE: 2008 (4 years) 2012 (3. years) 2015 (4 years) 2018 

9 singles 

7 videos

No features

DECADE: 2019

We'l see whats to come eh. 

Guy O really took his eye off the ball for the whole of the last decade and has managed her output very, very poorly. Content is everything to a fanbase and some instagram vids of your kids playing soccer, some moisturiser, gyms, a clothing line and some retro record store day coloured vinyl releases ain't gonna cut it. They've been asleep at the wheel commercially.

I have no doubt the album will be spectacular but there's no one to blame here but her own team.