Will Madonna Ever Have A Hit Single Again?

baymad4her

If M wants another hit, she'll have to become a recluse for a couple of years and then team up with Shep Pettibone or Pat Leonard to write the track and get someone with the right modern street creds to produce it. 

Yet that also means giving up all the bullshit about wanting to be hip and collaborating with the latest hit wonders, along with not being eccentric to get media attention.  The track would need to be classic M with a cool modern vibe. 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

madfan13_86

Come to terms with her legacy? In case you haven't noticed, she's putting together her biopic. So she's revisiting her past in her own way, at her own pace and in the way she wants to do it.  Moreover, I think she's actually been flirting with her legacy for a while, just not in a very obvious way (which is her right too). She often likes to reuse her old lyrics (like "Vogue" on "Holy Water", or even "Don't Tell Me" in "Future"), posts old photos on her IG, and I'm pretty sure Madame X is t

Husam Elzien

Honestly, I think her disdain of deeply revisiting her past has now reached a point of backfiring. In the politics of women in music, Madonna managed to maintain relevancy chart wise well past the "expiration" years because she still had killer hits and the appeal to back her up. But there was a shift in her public persona that started during MDNA where some of the things she said or did for shock-value or controversy came across as desperate and/or an attempt to keep up with Katy, Gaga, Beyonce

Mden

https://twitter.com/GodnessMadame marcus @GodnessMadame How to help Madonna’s upcoming 2 new songs to become hits- a thread 10:44 PM · May 31, 2023 · 1. First of all, stream the songs. And I mean as much as you can. Create playlists with both of the songs, but always put 2-3 different tracks in between them so they don’t get filtered out. Play on atleast 25% volume 2. Buy the songs on itunes if you can. Purchase all the versions available. This will boost the song

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Ashley said:

If M wants another hit, she'll have to become a recluse for a couple of years and then team up with Shep Pettibone or Pat Leonard to write the track and get someone with the right modern street creds to produce it. 

Yet that also means giving up all the bullshit about wanting to be hip and collaborating with the latest hit wonders, along with not being eccentric to get media attention.  The track would need to be classic M with a cool modern vibe. 

This will not work.  Teaming up with Shep and Pat isn't going to happen, and it won't promise any sort of hit song.  You have to make up your mind here?  Do you want her to have a huge hit or produce great music?  Neither is really going to go hand in hand.  Why?  Radio and mainstream public won't give her the time of day.  The only possibility is if she teams up with a feature artist that is the flavor of the month. Even then, it won't promise to be a hit.  You forget most of the mainstream top 40 music are the hip and latest hit wonders.  That's what drives POP(ular) music. Madonna was once part of that, but like all pop stars, no matter how great of a song she produces, it won't go anywhere unless the public and mainstream pop radio/streaming picks up on her.  She's aged out of the popular music market.

4 minutes ago, MarXus said:

This will not work.  Teaming up with Shep and Pat isn't going to happen, and it won't promise any sort of hit song.  You have to make up your mind here?  Do you want her to have a huge hit or produce great music?  Neither is really going to go hand in hand.  Why?  Radio and mainstream public won't give her the time of day.  The only possibility is if she teams up with a feature artist that is the flavor of the month. Even then, it won't promise to be a hit.  You forget most of the mainstream top 40 music are the hip and latest hit wonders.  That's what drives POP(ular) music. Madonna was once part of that, but like all pop stars, no matter how great of a song she produces, it won't go anywhere unless the public and mainstream pop radio/streaming picks up on her.  She's aged out of the popular music market.

It'll work. There's going to be a time when 80s and 90s music is back in trend and M there will be interest around M again. 

BUT the music industry and market is changing. We're heading into the 20s now and the game in the industry is going to be changing. Perhaps a hit record isn't what success is, yet how many times a track is streamed or video watched. 

Just now, Ashley said:

It'll work. There's going to be a time when 80s and 90s music is back in trend and M there will be interest around M again. 

BUT the music industry and market is changing. We're heading into the 20s now and the game in the industry is going to be changing. Perhaps a hit record isn't what success is, yet how many times a track is streamed or video watched. 

The 80's music have been back in trend many times already.  The industry is changing indeed, but not for the better, and unfortunately it's only edging artists like Madonna out.  This happens to all popular artists in past generations. If you're expecting another top 10 hit, yes, it will mean she needs a lot of streams.  She's already struggling that with her new and old music now. 

I appreciate your hope and enthusiasm, as we all wish her to have a major hit again but it's time to be realistic here.  She's no longer going to probably ever have a top ten hit again.  And Madonna isn't the problem here. It's the music industry and the general public, who tends to toss aside older artists.  You can  blame her all you like, but the fact is, the popular ways that music becomes a hit song, isn't giving Madonna time of day, and that's because she's 61.  Does that mean; she can't have one of her older hits re-chart at some point?  Not at all.  But it would have to be tied to something hugely nostalgic or a producer who remixed it and re-released it. 

By the way, I never got why people really thought her teaming up with Shep or Pat again, would guarantee another hit?   When you try to recreate the same magic from 20 or 30 years ago, there is a very little chance that would catch on today.  The music they created back then wouldn't work in today's music market. 

6 minutes ago, MarXus said:

The 80's music have been back in trend many times already.  The industry is changing indeed, but not for the better, and unfortunately it's only edging artists like Madonna out.  This happens to all popular artists in past generations. If you're expecting another top 10 hit, yes, it will mean she needs a lot of streams.  She's already struggling that with her new and old music now. 

I appreciate your hope and enthusiasm, as we all wish her to have a major hit again but it's time to be realistic here.  She's no longer going to probably ever have a top ten hit again.  And Madonna isn't the problem here. It's the music industry and the general public, who tends to toss aside older artists.  You can  blame her all you like, but the fact is, the popular ways that music becomes a hit song, isn't giving Madonna time of day, and that's because she's 61.  Does that mean; she can't have one of her older hits re-chart at some point?  Not at all.  But it would have to be tied to something hugely nostalgic or a producer who remixed it and re-released it. 

By the way, I never got why people really thought her teaming up with Shep or Pat again, would guarantee another hit?   When you try to recreate the same magic from 20 or 30 years ago, there is a very little chance that would catch on today.  The music they created back then wouldn't work in today's music market. 

Shep and Pat and I'll add Rick Nowels work well with M that's why. 

I can still see M pulling off a Cher when she released Believe in the future. Yet it has to be a modern spin on classic M and it'll only be a once off. 

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

Shep and Pat and I'll add Rick Nowels work well with M that's why. 

I can still see M pulling off a Cher when she released Believe in the future. Yet it has to be a modern spin on classic M and it'll only be a once off. 

Again, I can appreciate your wishful thoughts here, but bringing those people together will not promise another big hit from her. And people have been holding on this idea of her "pulling a Cher" forever now.  It's not going to happen. In fact, "Believe" did not become an instant hit when it was first released.  Eventually, it did, but it simply was one of those flukes in music history.  You can't force that to happen.  Expecting Madonna to repeat some formula (which she never does) or someone else success, is going to set you up with a lot of disappointments.

By the way, Shep hasn't produce any music since the late 90's.  He's a Nightclub owner. 

13 hours ago, MarXus said:

Yes, but would the ordinary fan be okay with a frivolous pop song? Not that I mind it, because I thought a song like "GMAYL" was one of those. I know that song only got to top 10 because of the deal it had through the week of SuperBowl.  Otherwise, that song wouldn't have gone nowhere.  Of course, I'm not comparing that song with "Music" and "Hung Up", but it's pretty well known that fun pop songs with very little meaning tend to do better than songs that do.  Not always the case, but in many cases, it does.  That said,  you can't deny radio still holds the cards here.  They don't play artists that are Madonna's age.  Even Cher was younger with "Believe". Still Madonna in her 50's got two top tens.  But again, that was due to the fact Justin Timberlake has a huge fan base, and that Superbowl pulls a lot of weight.  To me, she's pretty much played all her cards. No radio station is going to play a solo Madonna record these days.  That's just a fact.  It doesn't matter how great it is.  The sad thing is, it will take another deal like GMAYL or a highly popular featured artist like Justin Timberlake was in 2008 for her to get back on the charts. Again, radio will not latch on to any solo song.  No matter what you think of "Girl Gone Wild" that song was current as any song could get in 2012. There is no doubt in my mind if a popular 20 something released that song, it would have been a huge hit.  Whether you like it or not, isn't the point. A lot of fans loved the song as well.  Radio just won't play her.  Streaming is the new determination here, but unfortunately, like radio it's not her forte.  Age plays a huge factor even with streaming artists.

Radio is not so important as is streaming right now and still, what I meant with songs like 'Hung Up' and 'Music' is not that those are fun pop songs, unfortunately a  good current sounding song is not enough for her anymore after having more than two hands filled with fenomenal songs, I meant how those songs since the beginning were well recieved by the fans, the media and the general public and were right there with her previous big hits in terms of quality. 

I know there's no way to consciously craft another one of thoses, but I think is very clear now that a current sounding song with someone young and "hot-right-now" is not the way to go.

It is hard and probably won't ever happen again, but she still the only one at her age and time of career that has a chance at doing it again because, like I said, for the good or bad, people still paying attention when she puts something out.

3 hours ago, diegolcl said:

Radio is not so important as is streaming right now and still, what I meant with songs like 'Hung Up' and 'Music' is not that those are fun pop songs, unfortunately a  good current sounding song is not enough for her anymore after having more than two hands filled with fenomenal songs, I meant how those songs since the beginning were well recieved by the fans, the media and the general public and were right there with her previous big hits in terms of quality. 

I know there's no way to consciously craft another one of thoses, but I think is very clear now that a current sounding song with someone young and "hot-right-now" is not the way to go.

It is hard and probably won't ever happen again, but she still the only one at her age and time of career that has a chance at doing it again because, like I said, for the good or bad, people still paying attention when she puts something out.

Yes, streaming is the name of the game right now.  Though, radio spins are still important as well. She's not doing well at all with either.  

The public started losing interest in her music during and after the release of "Music".  It started in the U.S. first.  "Die Another Day" was a decent hit for her, and then even though she was able to score a top 10 song with "Hung Up", radio was very apprehensive in playing it in the U.S.   The bigger cities gave it more of a chance which helped.  Europe was still over the moon with her. 

There is no doubt in my mind, "4 Minutes" would not have done as well if it was Just Madonna.  That said, it was still a huge success for her, and we can thank Timberlake's fan base for that as well.  He was on top of the world at that point.  He hadn't release music himself for some time, so people were eager to hear something new from him as well. 

To me, it's a lot of "wishful thinking" for Madonna to attain another top 40 hit.   Is it impossible?  No, but some are depending on the fluke hit Cher had, hoping it will happen to Madonna.  Like I mentioned earlier, you can't forced that onto the public.  Expecting she could do it, will not make it happen either. 

No, I feel if she ends up with a top 40 hit in the future, it will be due to some current popular producer/artist tied to it.  It probably will be tied to some nostalgic sound or event.  Possibly, with less her involvement in producing the song.

I mean she worked with Mirwais again and mostly everyone here applauded it though.

I don't think those producers or songwriters are in the place along with Madonna to do another project unless it's to work on a boxset, anniversary edition or somehow beef up older releases and expand on them with the original collaborators. I know Patrick said he and Madonna couldn't do the same thing again and they were in different places in their lives. Not sure about Shep or the others. Orbit may get a lot of criticism but he rightfully called her out for the MDNA sessions where she didn't devote as much as she did prior. The fact she sounds best on a track she recorded with a cold says enough.

Back to the radio talk,the best I can see happening is being tied to something huge like the Superbowl again with a deal to spin the song every hour, promotion on Spotify and other streaming services to make a considerable placing on the Hot 100 chart or some older track being in a popular show, movie or viral moment.

• 6 months later...

Madonna hits started drying up when she stopped releasing physical CD singles. If these were available to buy online her fans would eat them up. It's a dumb move for a legacy act to stop selling these formatts. It's more money and better chart posiitions. She'll never gain the streaming ground she needs for a hit on her own without the sales too.

First step for this to happen would be to make a lead single that commands to be heard without Madonna's name being necessary. Last time she did that really was with 4 minutes which was a monumental song, at least for the younger generation back then. If you are Taylor Swift or Rihanna you can sneak onto the first positions with stupid songs like Me! and Work but Madonna's prime is well over so she needs something stronger. I feel like she hasn't made a song this past decade with the prospect of it becoming a lead single until the record is almost over and it shows. After that some great promotion of course. But she has been an albums' artist practically forever and apart from Madame X every single album of hers has sold pretty well. We can never be sure how her singles will fare from now on. I mean she might make a strong soundtrack song with an actor and have it playing everywhere or she can have a full dance comeback or she could die in a few decades leaving a heart breaking death ballad behind that will bring everyone to tears. We'll see. What's important is that she keeps making more and more new music with stronger lead single choices.

A much purer pop sound has started emerging. Ive seen think piece articles on the trend being attributed to the general worldwide issues and suffering as well as the coronavirus issues. We'll see a return to early 80's and 1940's style media where both very politcal art will stand next to some of the most escapist poppiest art. Glorious technicolour pop is on the horizon. The sleepy drugged out introspective mumble pop of the last decade is in decline. Bold and bright is incoming. 

Let's see how she handles the switch up.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

It does seem that “pure pop” and a return to the ‘80s seems to be making a big resurgence in mainstream music, so I think she could have a small airplay hit if she were to take advantage of the rising trend, however I can’t really see her doing it, and I can’t really see her having a big hit again. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
38 minutes ago, ScottyX said:

As long as she does a less expensive tour and goes where everyone can see her , not just those who can only afford it by maxing out their credit cards

Yeah, I really don’t want anything like the Madame X Tour again. 

5 hours ago, The Ghost said:

I think it's really up to her..  I think she could create something amazing but I'm not sure she's interested in creating something for the masses..

This is very puzzling for us fans because even with Madame X she tried to create something unique for a few hundred thousand people maybe but still she shoved in some tracks like Future, Crave, Faz Gostoso, Bitch I'm Loca that give quite the commercial impression. And the people she chooses to collaborate with, mostly the singers, aren't really underground and cool. I'm sure even with the next record she'll want it to move mountains and give her success on the charts. I don't believe she will be consistently uncommercial and experimental for a long time due to her kids, her need to dance, her ego and vanity.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:15 PM, Blue Prince said:

This is very puzzling for us fans because even with Madame X she tried to create something unique for a few hundred thousand people maybe but still she shoved in some tracks like Future, Crave, Faz Gostoso, Bitch I'm Loca that give quite the commercial impression. And the people she chooses to collaborate with, mostly the singers, aren't really underground and cool. I'm sure even with the next record she'll want it to move mountains and give her success on the charts. I don't believe she will be consistently uncommercial and experimental for a long time due to her kids, her need to dance, her ego and vanity.

I don’t think M has ever gone into the studio and thought “ let’s do a song that everyone is going to love  “ an artist can’t work like that as it’s a bit like going in with a straight jacket on - I’m just glad all her albums are different sonically even if her songwriting isn’t as good as it used to be

4 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

I don’t think M has ever gone into the studio and thought “ let’s do a song that everyone is going to love  “ an artist can’t work like that as it’s a bit like going in with a straight jacket on - I’m just glad all her albums are different sonically even if her songwriting isn’t as good as it used to be

Well what I'm saying is that her choices imply some effort to keep a balance between artistic quality and a very commercial album. When she walked into the studio with JT or Nicki Minaj was she intending to make some art to last through the ages? I don't think so, lol. Of course I still enjoy the records she is putting out and I think her writing is much better now with her latest two albums than during Confessions up to MDNA. She knows of course that many won't enjoy her work. I think it will always be her intention to make songs that leave people divided and I believe she enjoys it. It's what gave her a career after all.