Will Madonna Ever Have A Hit Single Again?

baymad4her

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

madfan13_86

Come to terms with her legacy? In case you haven't noticed, she's putting together her biopic. So she's revisiting her past in her own way, at her own pace and in the way she wants to do it.  Moreover, I think she's actually been flirting with her legacy for a while, just not in a very obvious way (which is her right too). She often likes to reuse her old lyrics (like "Vogue" on "Holy Water", or even "Don't Tell Me" in "Future"), posts old photos on her IG, and I'm pretty sure Madame X is t

Husam Elzien

Honestly, I think her disdain of deeply revisiting her past has now reached a point of backfiring. In the politics of women in music, Madonna managed to maintain relevancy chart wise well past the "expiration" years because she still had killer hits and the appeal to back her up. But there was a shift in her public persona that started during MDNA where some of the things she said or did for shock-value or controversy came across as desperate and/or an attempt to keep up with Katy, Gaga, Beyonce

Mden

https://twitter.com/GodnessMadame marcus @GodnessMadame How to help Madonna’s upcoming 2 new songs to become hits- a thread 10:44 PM · May 31, 2023 · 1. First of all, stream the songs. And I mean as much as you can. Create playlists with both of the songs, but always put 2-3 different tracks in between them so they don’t get filtered out. Play on atleast 25% volume 2. Buy the songs on itunes if you can. Purchase all the versions available. This will boost the song

Posted Images

Very unlikely as long as streaming is included in the single charts. Has any older artist had a bit hit single since streaming was included? Everyone talks about Cher, but Believe was before the streaming era. 
I personally think they should create a separate chart for the  most streamed songs, but not include that in the main charts. For me I often stream stuff I’ve heard about to just hear what it sounds like out of curiosity not because I actually like it.  I don’t think streaming is an accurate reflection of music people actually love. 

1 hour ago, Glindathegood said:

Very unlikely as long as streaming is included in the single charts. Has any older artist had a bit hit single since streaming was included? Everyone talks about Cher, but Believe was before the streaming era. 
I personally think they should create a separate chart for the  most streamed songs, but not include that in the main charts. For me I often stream stuff I’ve heard about to just hear what it sounds like out of curiosity not because I actually like it.  I don’t think streaming is an accurate reflection of music people actually love. 

Given that majority of singles aren't released on physical formats and those that are get bought by like 10 people, along with the fact that there's a whole generation that has grown up without ever having to pay for music, streaming is the only accurate reflection of people's music tastes nowadays, as depressing as it might be.

5 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

I could of written your comment myself. I totally agree! Everyone goes on about the "Cher" moment but if streaming was around back then "Believe" wouldn't have got in the top 40.

Streaming is only for young people who stream songs from their mobiles, in my day, you had to go to the shops to buy a record, nowadays, it's mediocre throwaway music.

Madonna will be the last icon in music.

3 hours ago, kesiak said:

Given that majority of singles aren't released on physical formats and those that are get bought by like 10 people, along with the fact that there's a whole generation that has grown up without ever having to pay for music, streaming is the only accurate reflection of people's music tastes nowadays, as depressing as it might be.

I'd sort of argue against this a little bit. The paid sponsorship of songs that will be played immediately after popular songs via an algorhythm massively weighs the way the charts are compiled. 

Drake is the perfect example. Once Dance is the absolute nadir of written for Spotify. 

The song fits into about 15 different genres.

Dance, Chill, RNB, Afrobeat, Pop, Rap, Neo Soul, Electronic, Soul. Its a mungrel of a song designed to hits as many playlists as possible. It's sits inoffensively in so many playlists because of this nature.

• Hot Hits
  • African Heat
  • Black Lives Matter
  • Who We Be
  • Dance Classics
  • Todays Top Hits
  • Island Anthems
  • Massive Dance Hits
  • Summer Hits
  • Rap Us
  • No Cap
  • Hip Hop Anthems
  • Rap Caviar
  • City to City
  • Top 50 hits
  • Top 100 Hits
  • Top 200 Hits
  • THis Is How We Do
  • Slow Jamz
  • Channel X
  • Bedroom Jams
  • Spotify & Chill

The list is utterly endless for that song and it's success set a big template for how sings were constructed and delivered. It's sad to say but a songs success on streaming depends in a large part to accidental or incidental plays. 

If the number one song in the country only appears on New Music Friday for a week and only on the artists page the song is doomed. the real skill of having a successful song in the game these days is having a team who are flat our determined to get your song playlisted as many times as possible. 

Luckily Madonna being a pop artist for 30+ years has straddled many different genres, tempos, languages, soundtracks, styles and epochs. This is a major advantage that would stop her from appearing on just an 80's playlist like say Cyndi Lauper, she has many many things she could fit into.

• Queens Of Pop
  • Blond Ambition
  • Trip Hop
  • Spanish pop
  • French pop
  • Japanese vibes
  • Indian Influence
  • Girl Power
  • 80's women
  • Power Pop
  • Soundtrack hits
  • James Bond Soundtracks
  • Legends
  • Disco Divaz
  • West End Wendys
  • The Muscials
  • Oscar winners
  • MTV history
  • Girls Collaboration
  • Acoustic 
  • Samples based playlists (Abba)
  • Cover versions
  • Electro pop
  • RNB
  • Epic pop
  • Electro-Clash
  • Trance
  • New Wave
  • Rap Collabs
  • Crossover Hits
  • Gay Classics
  • Pride 
  • Mothers Day
  • Valentines
  • Lovesongs
  • Number1's of the 80's
  • Number 1's of the 90's
  • Number 1's of the 00's
  • number 1's of the.....well anyway

I could go on and on etc

Her team is unfortunately asleep at the wheel when it comes to her streaming presence for the most part.

Spotify even has "Written By" play lists and pages for producers, DJ's and Songwriters these days. Imagine how many she could be on. This isn't just about a hit for Madonna it's about preserving her musical legacy and generating slow feed long terms latent revenue as it were. 

They slowly seem to be waking up and the fact that Human Nature appeared a while back gives me a bit of hope. Janet Jackson recently uploaded her old singles to Streaming and Mariah Carey is in the middle of MC30 where she is adding old content to streaming in a way to Celebrate the 30th anniversary of her debut album. The stuff she is releasing is also Branded with MC30 logo so they're really making a thing of it. They even added the audio of her debut showcase show from her first VHS video release from 1990 which has never been available in any other format than VHS.

I think Madonnas team will sit up and take note at some point and hopefully use adding more legacy mixes and rarities to promote upcoming anniversaries. 

4 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I'd sort of argue against this a little bit. The paid sponsorship of songs that will be played immediately after popular songs via an algorhythm massively weighs the way the charts are compiled. 

Drake is the perfect example. Once Dance is the absolute nadir of written for Spotify. 

The song fits into about 15 different genres.

Dance, Chill, RNB, Afrobeat, Pop, Rap, Neo Soul, Electronic, Soul. Its a mungrel of a song designed to hits as many playlists as possible. It's sits inoffensively in so many playlists because of this nature.

• Hot Hits
  • African Heat
  • Black Lives Matter
  • Who We Be
  • Dance Classics
  • Todays Top Hits
  • Island Anthems
  • Massive Dance Hits
  • Summer Hits
  • Rap Us
  • No Cap
  • Hip Hop Anthems
  • Rap Caviar
  • City to City
  • Top 50 hits
  • Top 100 Hits
  • Top 200 Hits
  • THis Is How We Do
  • Slow Jamz
  • Channel X
  • Bedroom Jams
  • Spotify & Chill

The list is utterly endless for that song and it's success set a big template for how sings were constructed and delivered. It's sad to say but a songs success on streaming depends in a large part to accidental or incidental plays. 

If the number one song in the country only appears on New Music Friday for a week and only on the artists page the song is doomed. the real skill of having a successful song in the game these days is having a team who are flat our determined to get your song playlisted as many times as possible. 

Luckily Madonna being a pop artist for 30+ years has straddled many different genres, tempos, languages, soundtracks, styles and epochs. This is a major advantage that would stop her from appearing on just an 80's playlist like say Cyndi Lauper, she has many many things she could fit into.

• Queens Of Pop
  • Blond Ambition
  • Trip Hop
  • Spanish pop
  • French pop
  • Japanese vibes
  • Indian Influence
  • Girl Power
  • 80's women
  • Power Pop
  • Soundtrack hits
  • James Bond Soundtracks
  • Legends
  • Disco Divaz
  • West End Wendys
  • The Muscials
  • Oscar winners
  • MTV history
  • Girls Collaboration
  • Acoustic 
  • Samples based playlists (Abba)
  • Cover versions
  • Electro pop
  • RNB
  • Epic pop
  • Electro-Clash
  • Trance
  • New Wave
  • Rap Collabs
  • Crossover Hits
  • Gay Classics
  • Pride 
  • Mothers Day
  • Valentines
  • Lovesongs
  • Number1's of the 80's
  • Number 1's of the 90's
  • Number 1's of the 00's
  • number 1's of the.....well anyway

I could go on and on etc

Her team is unfortunately asleep at the wheel when it comes to her streaming presence for the most part.

Spotify even has "Written By" play lists and pages for producers, DJ's and Songwriters these days. Imagine how many she could be on. This isn't just about a hit for Madonna it's about preserving her musical legacy and generating slow feed long terms latent revenue as it were. 

They slowly seem to be waking up and the fact that Human Nature appeared a while back gives me a bit of hope. Janet Jackson recently uploaded her old singles to Streaming and Mariah Carey is in the middle of MC30 where she is adding old content to streaming in a way to Celebrate the 30th anniversary of her debut album. The stuff she is releasing is also Branded with MC30 logo so they're really making a thing of it. They even added the audio of her debut showcase show from her first VHS video release from 1990 which has never been available in any other format than VHS.

I think Madonnas team will sit up and take note at some point and hopefully use adding more legacy mixes and rarities to promote upcoming anniversaries. 

Oh I totally agree with you, it's all bollocks, but that doesn't change the reality that streaming is the only way to measure a song's listenability (as opposed to actual sales), whether it gets the streams organically or not. I suppose it could be compared to the way singles used to be artificially pushed to higher chart positions thanks to payola, deals with radio stations, etc. :)

25 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath, it seems Madonna or whoever isn't interested, I mean it's the 30th anniversary of The Immaculate Collection and I'm sure that will go unnoticed by her.

7 hours ago, baymad4her said:

Maybe it will be with this Dua Lipa collaboration :pray:

Maybe, but I personally wouldn't count on it. This is the 5th single off of her album and her previous single completely flopped. Odds are that this one will too because it's not like having Madonna and Missy  Elliott will encourage people to stream the song en masse. :/

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, baymad4her said:

Only two days left until the Dua Lipa release, I'm very interested to see how this is received and if it charts at all in any country.

The remixes should do well and give Madonna her 51st number one on the dance chart.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video.

actually only a couple of hours hehe :cute:

The BB dance club chart has been temporarily suspended due to the pandemic and clubs are not officially opened yet

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah it is possible. But.... she needs to do something very different and refreshing, but also fun, i feel like the past 8 years has been very.. same-ish. One big mish mash. And too dark-sided (lol). The only way I can describe it is those Madonnalogues videos. That's how the past 8 years feel to me, with a spritz of Edina Monsoon added in these days.  Image is very important in getting a hit these days, even more so. her instagram lifestyle and the things she is into and how she displays herself is not appealing. yeah it is what it is. She basically would have to clean up her act and drop the forced image she has now, but will Madonna do that? Doubt it. Having said that I still enjoyed her albums. Rebel Heart was such a high light for me. I'm just saying what it takes to get a hit as well. p.s. im tipsy. 

Edited by Hari Beaux (see edit history)

19 hours ago, bedtimestory said:

I don't think she ever will again, at this point she can make the best song in the world, and the mainstream won't bother to notice it. She is blocked from airplay and proper promo too.

Do they just not play her anymore because she is "old" or they have no interest in her?

The ONLY way she could have another #1 worldwide hit will be :

* if her team pay for MASSIVE play / promotion on radio stations, and invasive AD single promos on mobile (example youtube sponsored ads)

* She needs a strong, more AGRESSIVE and STRATEGIC promotion Team that will restore her title and rightful place in music.

* Also she would have to make a song that it's a bit retro with a modern twist, happy and danceable. 80's synth music is liked by young mainstream again (example : the weekend, dua lipa)

I can't understand why someone as legendary as her, will allow her career to fade in the shadows. So many of her work has gone unnoticed, unplayed by the mainstream, which is unfair.

She has all the power and $$ in the world to establish her music and force it into the mainstream.

I noticed how her spotify monthly plays are low (14m) while other artists have 8x more listeners than her. This says a lot about her presence in music. Its sad...I want her to do well again...

On 9/2/2020 at 1:06 PM, bedtimestory said:

The ONLY way she could have another #1 worldwide hit will be :

* if her team pay for MASSIVE play / promotion on radio stations, and invasive AD single promos on mobile (example youtube sponsored ads)

* She needs a strong, more AGRESSIVE and STRATEGIC promotion Team that will restore her title and rightful place in music.

* Also she would have to make a song that it's a bit retro with a modern twist, happy and danceable. 80's synth music is liked by young mainstream again (example : the weekend, dua lipa)

I can't understand why someone as legendary as her, will allow her career to fade in the shadows. So many of her work has gone unnoticed, unplayed by the mainstream, which is unfair.

She has all the power and $$ in the world to establish her music and force it into the mainstream.

I noticed how her spotify monthly plays are low (14m) while other artists have 8x more listeners than her. This says a lot about her presence in music. Its sad...I want her to do well again...

I totally agree with you. I have no idea why Madonna has let her legacy just fade away, or she can't be bothered anymore. It's such a shame, as she was so inspiring for me back in the day, now she just seems like a caricature of herself. 

She needs to get her act together.

• 4 months later...

Here's the thing, the cold hard truth (no matter how much we love her and her music) she has no appeal what so ever to the majority of todays music consuming youth, shes 62 ffs and to most 9 - 16 year old shes just old, not to us of course, but thats just a hard fact.

What young kid wants to listen to someone old enough to be a grandmother who's trying desperatly to be relivent and failing?

Harsh for me to write and no doubt harsh to read but no less true.

The ONLY way that I can see that she **might** get back some of her appeal is if she drops trying to act like a trendy black teenager and embraces her age by toning down how she acts but the thing is we all know she wont do that so she is sealing her own fate.

As a life long fan I find that a shame.

On 7/27/2020 at 7:34 AM, Glindathegood said:

I completely agree with you.

If I heard a song on the radio, it doesn't confirm anything in terms of my liking it or musical preferences. 

It's why they always created a blend of radio play and sales. Requests of a song to radio meant something yes, but the sales were the true indicator of someone liking the song enough to get off their ass, go to the store, put down money and buy it.