Most Overrated Madonna Era?

girlgonewild

15 hours ago, gafuller said:

I'd go with Like A Prayer or Like A Virgin as overated eras. And I mean nothing negative by overrated. When you go up to the average person, they will only be able to idenitfy a single from one of those two albums off the top of their head. Or Justify My Love, but I get that one from more older people. Anyway, I digress, the eras I listed were big enough and popular enough to burn themsleves in pop culture whether it was wanted or not. I'd say her first album, Bedtime Story, and Rebel Heart have not received the kind of honor that is due to them. And don't trash me for Rebel Heart. I'm not saying it was a Ray of Light, but when pressed up to Hard Candy and MDNA, it was definitely worth some talk.

Well maybe that's because you weren't born back then, but she rocked the world when Like a Virgin came out and the whole planet stopped breathing when she released Like a Prayer. Prince and Michael Jackson were shitting their pants because she was overshadowing them not matter what. Check your history kids.

American Life should be filed as underrated per Bedtime Stories and Erotica. It was a transitional period and a point in time. TBH I loved almost every moment of that era, including the skank makeout session with Britney and Christina. It was a transitional point in pop history, she did her thang and was ready to pass the torch. Fast forward 15 years, one is a TV host and the other plays Vegas. I'm not mad at her. The industry changed beneath her feet while she was still in motion and (IMO) she dumbed it down to catch up with the downward spiral at about Hard Candy. I mean listen to the acoustic demo of "The Beat Goes On".

On 3/25/2018 at 12:04 PM, RUADJAI said:

We still had the club mixes.  Nothing Really Matters and Beautiful Stranger were magical in the club around this time. Maybe it was what I was on though. 

The remixes were great for the most part.  Power Of Goodbye was a missed opportunity as that was the heyday of remixing ballads, which she sort of help to usher in.

I don't think that any era got an exaggerated love/attention from the fans or the public itself. In the rearview mirror, them all are cases of easy-to-understand action/reaction situations. But... in my opinion, Madonna kinda overrate the Hard Candy era. She seems to have a distorted vision of how sucessfull it was not. To keep performing album tracks from it in the next tours while ignoring hits singles from her hey days, is just overratedly strange. She can't be that attached to such songs. The only explanation is that Oseary must have told her a lie about its sales. And a very good one lol.

I'd pick MDNA. The praise that gets heaped on Love Spent and Mastershit is beyond me, both tracks seem to suffer from poor production. I think the only thing I liked from the whole era in its original form is I Fucked Up, the rest is disposable. In my opinion, the poorest output in her musical career, and that's counting the Otto von Werner period :p 

On 3/27/2018 at 10:12 AM, Someone said:

I don't think that any era got an exaggerated love/attention from the fans or the public itself. In the rearview mirror, them all are cases of easy-to-understand action/reaction situations. But... in my opinion, Madonna kinda overrate the Hard Candy era. She seems to have a distorted vision of how sucessfull it was not. To keep performing album tracks from it in the next tours while ignoring hits singles from her hey days, is just overratedly strange. She can't be that attached to such songs. The only explanation is that Oseary must have told her a lie about its sales. And a very good one lol.

To be fair, the only true hit from that album was "4 Minutes".  Being it a duet, it's not an easy song to perform over and over.  I don't think it has anything to do with her having a "distorted" view "of how successful it was".  I think she just genuinely loves songs like "Candy Shop".  I don't take issue with her performing it because it's not like she doesn't perform her biggest hits.  Why not let her perform some of her favorites as well?  In fact, being her follow up albums didn't really produce any hit songs, we're going to see her performing songs more and more that weren't hits.  Possibly songs she loves if not fan favorites.

I've never been a fan of "Candy Shop", but I must say the last version on tour was kick ass!! 

• 1 month later...
On 26/03/2018 at 12:32 AM, BItch I'm Madonna said:

Erotten...by far!

The album is not that great. The music has aged like milk and the majority of the songs are fillers. The videos were good but her looks in general were pretty ugly and the tour isn't as good as Blonde Ambition, particularly because the song choices were not exciting and the setlist was so fucking short.

Erotica* is a masterpiece

On 20.5.2018 at 1:13 PM, anel_ said:

Erotica is a masterpiece

Nope. Poor production, poor songwriting. It’s her most dated-sounding album by FAR.

7 hours ago, Elazul said:

Ray Of Light

Most of the album sounds dated, her slow tempo singing does not match the William Orbit "remix style" and those live performances were simply vile.

You have got to be kidding ahahaha.

26 minutes ago, BItch I'm Madonna said:

Nope. Poor production, poor songwriting. It’s her most dated-sounding album by FAR.

I don’t know where you hear poor production and why you think it’s dated but that’s your opinion. But just so you know the album was meant to have a raw, demo, unfinished sound to it and it’s a very daring album

On 3/26/2018 at 1:53 PM, Adrian said:

Actually I think most overrated era by fans (not public) is American Life.  There are few great songs on it that weren't singles, but half of it is really bad, sorry.

The majority of it.