Most Overrated Madonna Era?

girlgonewild

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2018 at 10:53 AM, Adrian said:

Actually I think most overrated era by fans (not public) is American Life.  There are few great songs on it that weren't singles, but half of it is really bad, sorry.

Agreed. Love Profussion, American Life, I’m so Stupid and Mother & Father are simply not good, hence they have not aged well.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:51 AM, madaboutM said:

Agreed. Love Profussion, American Life, I’m so Stupid and Mother & Father are simply not good, hence they have not aged well.

I will rock I'm So Stupid over anything from MDNA and even Rebel Heart any day, gawd I love that track its like a punch to the face. 

On 3/26/2018 at 8:53 PM, Adrian said:

Actually I think most overrated era by fans (not public) is American Life.  There are few great songs on it that weren't singles, but half of it is really bad, sorry.

Word by word. Fans usually claim that she got the backlash from the radio and the American public because the album was very political and critical, putting her on a pedestal for her “courage” and showing her like a hero or something whereas in reality it really wasn’t. Instead it was apolitical and highly ego-central. It was not successful because the album was subpar, and its sound was far from what the American audience in general liked back then, that is R&B/hiphop. Personally I like this album, but generally speaking it was not meant to be popular. When Madonna made good music (‘Hung Up’) or the sound that would appeal to her citizens (‘4 Minutes’), she saw success in the US again. Besides, her 2004 tour in the US was extensive and played sold-out. On the other hand, “American Life” wasn’t unsuccessful only in the US. International sales of the album was slow and low, too. 

In short, the “American Life” era seems full of myths among the fans. In reality it was a mediocre era.

1 hour ago, Turuncan said:

Word by word. Fans usually claim that she got the backlash from the radio and the American public because the album was very political and critical, putting her on a pedestal for her “courage” and showing her like a hero or something whereas in reality it really wasn’t. Instead it was apolitical and highly ego-central. It was not successful because the album was subpar, and its sound was far from what the American audience in general liked back then, that is R&B/hiphop. Personally I like this album, but generally speaking it was not meant to be popular. When Madonna made good music (‘Hung Up’) or the sound that would appeal to her citizens (‘4 Minutes’), she saw success in the US again. Besides, her 2004 tour in the US was extensive and played sold-out. On the other hand, “American Life” wasn’t unsuccessful only in the US. International sales of the album was slow and low, too. 

In short, the “American Life” era seems full of myths among the fans. In reality it was a mediocre era.

No “myth” to it. Fans just have different thoughts about it. 

Personally, I find it very underrated! It’s a great album. It was misconstrued as a political album when it wasn’t. Of course, the artwork didn’t help and her being roped into the political discussions and debate of a war at the time just didn’t help. The original American Life video wasn’t even released, but the media gave her a hard time over it anyway.  

Most definitely the lead single was not appropriate to release at the time. It purely was an ego check for her, but it’s pretty unrelateable to the public. The American public took the album as if she was taking a swipe at them.  

I’m not going to assume another lead single would have changed the success, but I think at the time a song like “Nothing Fails” would have kicked the album off to a more positive start, but I would have advised her from getting political in the interviews.  “Die Another Day” just months before did decent in the U.S., so I think a ballad like “Nothing Fails” could have kept the momentum going. 

52 minutes ago, Liam said:

No “myth” to it. Fans just have different thoughts about it. 

Personally, I find it very underrated! It’s a great album. It was misconstrued as a political album when it wasn’t. Of course, the artwork didn’t help and her being roped into the political discussions and debate of a war at the time just didn’t help. The original American Life video wasn’t even released, but the media gave her a hard time over it anyway.  

Most definitely the lead single was not appropriate to release at the time. It purely was an ego check for her, but it’s pretty unrelateable to the public. The American public took the album as if she was taking a swipe at them.  

I’m not going to assume another lead single would have changed the success, but I think at the time a song like “Nothing Fails” would have kicked the album off to a more positive start, but I would have advised her from getting political in the interviews.  “Die Another Day” just months before did decent in the U.S., so I think a ballad like “Nothing Fails” could have kept the momentum going. 

I think it's lack of success was down to not having strong singles. American Life is a great song and represented the album but didn't have that hit potential needed. Hollywood may have done better but even so I don't think it's a strong choice either. But it's still a GREAT album that is for sure.

12 hours ago, Turuncan said:

Which means, “‘American Life’ is a very political album.” is a myth. Yeah, I said the same!

Just clarifying that you're saying it's NOT a political album!

53 minutes ago, drivebitch said:

Music. She started getting really boring image and material-wise. It's the era that started with her keeping the same hair color and redoing the same conservative hairstyle. A massive step down after Ray of Light.

I never found image and material boring from that point on. So what if she didn’t drastically change her look? We really can’t expect her to keep that up all her career!  

Materialwise, each album was quite different from one another. She became  more socially, environmentally, and spiritually aware. Meanwhile, she pushed sexual boundaries even more when many felt she shouldn’t. 

She definitely didn’t lose the fun factor as she evolved, but it’s natural for people to tackle more social,political and environmental issues as they get older. Furthermore, having children puts a whole new outlook on the future. Before it WAS all about her. Now, she has broaden her interests beyond just herself.  

2 hours ago, Turuncan said:

Yes. It is not. And you objected in your previous post when I said this era had myths. 

I read it wrong.  “Forgive me”... cue the song “Sorry”.  ? 

1 hour ago, drivebitch said:

It's as political as Erotica is sexual. You get two or three songs that deal with that theme and the rest is totally off-topic. 

!!!! This statement is completely true. A lot of the public writes off Madonna's albums like Erotica merely because of what the title suggests of the rest of the album, when it is actually off-topic a bit, like you said.

• 1 year later...

Erotica album, i hate this album, it's a very bad album (except two songs). Where is her warm touch of True Blue (her best album until Ray of Light) or the divertisity of the music styles of Like a Prayer? I listen the house music (like Everybody's dance now) and the other artists has been better songs to this album. Only Deeper and Deeper and Rain has been beautifuls songs, i like the included the latino influenced in the disco for Deeper and Deeper. And i love the music video of Rain, a art this video and the song was good and touching. 

This was a huge deception this album.

I was also not a fan of American life. This album included many greats songs (Mother and Father, Hollywood, Love Profusion), but this albums few horrors (I'm so stupid was the perfect exemple)