Is I'm Breathless not considered a studio album because...

I think it’s a soundtrack because it was written specifically for the movie, even though it wasn’t entirely featured in the movie. Think of it like The Hunger Games soundtrack album which literally only features 1 or 2 tracks of the entire album in the movie while the rest are just on the album without any feature in the movie.

I don’t know much about label and licensing of the album but maybe the movie studio funded the album rather than her label? Maybe she found the album being mainly jazz to be too experimental to consider an actual record?

There is one soundtrack album.
https://www.discogs.com/master/view/174743
Both this...
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dick-Tracy/master/102528
...and Madonna's are ''songs inspired by the movie." ie = a cash-in.
WB's didn't make the movie for fun and did expect it to be way BIGGER than it was.
Dick Tracy '2' anyone ?
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/41503/why-dick-tracy-2-never-happened

"  Instead, Dick Tracy finished its theatrical run with a far more modest $162 million worldwide. While still a hefty profit over the film's $47 million budget, those certainly weren't Batman numbers, and brightly colored Dick Tracy merchandise stayed on shelves well past its Christmas 1990 sell by date. "

Edited by professormouse (see edit history)

I never understood the logic behind it.  Not even Warner itself sees it as a studio album of her.

"Something To Remember" is one of her best songs together with "Vogue" as one of her best singles/videos ever.

Too bad that the solo demo version of "What Can You Lose" exists in such poor sound quality

This "music from and inspired by" stuff was pioneered by Prince with his Batman soundtrack album in 1989. M, as usual, got the trend. Dick tracy has THREE soundtrack albums, don't forget that, and Madonna's just one of them, and includes only three songs featured in the album. I've always consider it a "concept studio allbum". And don't forget that either a soundtrack album or a studio album, both are recorded in a STUDIO. Period (LOL)

12 hours ago, White Crow said:

This "music from and inspired by" stuff was pioneered by Prince with his Batman soundtrack album in 1989. M, as usual, got the trend. Dick tracy has THREE soundtrack albums, don't forget that, and Madonna's just one of them, and includes only three songs featured in the album. I've always consider it a "concept studio allbum". And don't forget that either a soundtrack album or a studio album, both are recorded in a STUDIO. Period (LOL)

Batman is also considered a studio album as is Purple Rain

19 hours ago, L-U-V said:

such as?

One has been posted in the pages above but I'm pretty sure there's more and more recently too. I don't remember when but I will post it if I ever come across it!

As I said there are fair arguments for both so I don't see much point arguing back and fourth as people will always disagree on this.

16 hours ago, THE ROSE MIST said:

One has been posted in the pages above but I'm pretty sure there's more and more recently too. I don't remember when but I will post it if I ever come across it!

As I said there are fair arguments for both so I don't see much point arguing back and fourth as people will always disagree on this

There is nothing to "argue" about, it's not considered a studio album by neither Madonna nor her label

On 10/17/2019 at 8:16 PM, L-U-V said:

There is nothing to "argue" about, it's not considered a studio album by neither Madonna nor her label

Who cares lol.

It's an album. We need to consider it an album. She doesn't have enough of them. Stop ignoring it.

Embrace it.

It's not a red headed step child. Show some love.

I'm Breathless is definitely an album.  It contains more original songs that Madonna, Like a Virgin, True Blue, Like a Prayer, Music, American Life or Hard Candy.  Downgrading it to "soundtrack" status is due to it only selling a couple of million (low compared to any 80's Madonna release).  It is absolutely an album and a brilliant one at that.  

On 10/16/2019 at 7:46 AM, professormouse said:

There is one soundtrack album.
https://www.discogs.com/master/view/174743
Both this...
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dick-Tracy/master/102528
...and Madonna's are ''songs inspired by the movie." ie = a cash-in.
WB's didn't make the movie for fun and did expect it to be way BIGGER than it was.
Dick Tracy '2' anyone ?
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/41503/why-dick-tracy-2-never-happened

"  Instead, Dick Tracy finished its theatrical run with a far more modest $162 million worldwide. While still a hefty profit over the film's $47 million budget, those certainly weren't Batman numbers, and brightly colored Dick Tracy merchandise stayed on shelves well past its Christmas 1990 sell by date. "

With the 1990 BAT, she gave the movie TONS of free publicity, took a severe paycut, earning a paltry $1,150 per week of filming.  Her movie performance actually got good reviews AND the song "Sooner or Later" she sang won an academy award.  The failure you mention ( modest $162 million worldwide) had NOTHING to do with her.