Which Madonna song has been most meaningful to you?

Fontainebleau

I'm sure there's already a topic dedicated to this subject, but I wonder... Which Madonna song has been most meaningful to you? Which song has been an inspiration in overcoming a dark period in your life? Which song has helped you overcoming fear or certain obstacles?

Puberty was a real b*tch. Being gay in high school, in a very suffocating environment, having little to no friends. I always felt there was something wrong with me. All these feelings I just could not explain. Loneliness. Being bullied. No perspective. It was 1990 and I remember seeing Vogue for the first time on television. There was this sense of recognition and I didn't feel so alone anymore. Then there was Justify My Love. "Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another." Wow, I thought, I don't need anybody's permission to feel the way I feel or to love the one I love. It was liberating and empowering. So was Erotica: "Only the one that hurts you can make you feel better. Only the one that inflicts the pain can take it away." The video and lyrics helped me to accept my sexuality and to have the guts to truly be myself. I knew that in a couple of years I would get the hell out of that little village where I grew up and move to the city. To study, to grow, to not depend on the permission of another and to find my own path. I have Madonna to thank for that.

A song that I used to listen to before important events such as exams, concerts was Express Yourself: I took a lot of energy and encouragement from it, but I think it is common to many of us.

A song that came out in a very dark moment of my life, when I felt I couldn't do it, I was giving up, I felt lonely and desperate, is Hey You. It really felt like she was talking to me, like she knew what was going on. Every single word. I know It is not a fan favourite, but I can really say that it saved my life.

Hey, you, don't you give up
Its not so bad
There's still a chance for us

Hey, you, just be yourself
Don't be so shy
There's reasons why its hard

Quite some songs over the years. 

Who's That Girl reminds me of the summer of my childhood, growing up in Trinidad and going out with my older brother and sister, being with my aunties, dancing with my mom. 

La Isla Bonita reminds me of the island I left in 1988 when I moved to the UK aged 9.

Like A Prayer (more it's visuals) appealed a child who was questioning things at a young age; religion, racial identity and discrimination. 

Oh Father stood out for me, always, because of the strained relationship I had with my father figures growing up and then leaving home at an early age. 

Love Tried to Welcome Me because I always thought I'd be alone. 

Take A Bow and I Want You were quite meaningful because I had strong feelings for people I couldn't be with. 

You'll See was my anthem when I left home. I thought I'd be strong. 

Frozen was like an awakening, stirring feelings to want to experiment with sound. I was in love with its grand production and visuals. 

Drowned World, again because I always felt alone in a crowded room. 

Mer Girl's lyrics were fascinating. Like Promise to Try and Inside of Me, they gave an insight into someone still dealing with grief. Although I hadn't yet experienced such a loss, I would later learn through therapy that I was grieving the loss of my childhood which ended too soon. 

The Power of Goodbye. I always understood the song to be more about death than a relationship. It's stronger in the demo I think. To be so at a loss, than you would be ready to give it all up. Been there many times over. Same with Paradise and Nobody's Perfect. 

Mother And Father for personal reasons. There was a time I was happy in my life, when I had both mother and father. And I questioned why they couldn't be with me. 

Nothing Fails, X-Static Process, Intervention and Easy Ride all appealed to me as someone constantly questioning things and trying to understand why I feel the way I do. 

Never Let You Go is a song I felt close to, I could close my eyes and just let it take me. Standing in my own darkness and feeling the music sway me. 

I Fucked Up. I do it a lot. 

Tragic Girl because I can be in my mind. 

Those are the songs that mean the most to me. Other notable ones are Live To Tell, I'll Remember, Something To Remember, Little Girl, Spanish Eyes, Dear Jessie, Isaac, Ariosa, Swim, Supernatural, Secret Garden, Sanctuary, The Beast Within, Act of Contrition and Be Careful with My Heart. 

23 hours ago, Suzy Q. said:

Which song has been an inspiration in overcoming a dark period in your life? Which song has helped you overcoming fear or certain obstacles?

Girl gone wild, Turn up the radio, Give me all your luvin', I don't give a ...., I'm a sinner, Masterpiece, Falling free and MDNA remixes and MDNA tour.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:36 AM, AspergerArtist said:

Quite some songs over the years. 

Who's That Girl reminds me of the summer of my childhood, growing up in Trinidad and going out with my older brother and sister, being with my aunties, dancing with my mom. 

La Isla Bonita reminds me of the island I left in 1988 when I moved to the UK aged 9.

Like A Prayer (more it's visuals) appealed a child who was questioning things at a young age; religion, racial identity and discrimination. 

Oh Father stood out for me, always, because of the strained relationship I had with my father figures growing up and then leaving home at an early age. 

Love Tried to Welcome Me because I always thought I'd be alone. 

Take A Bow and I Want You were quite meaningful because I had strong feelings for people I couldn't be with. 

You'll See was my anthem when I left home. I thought I'd be strong. 

Frozen was like an awakening, stirring feelings to want to experiment with sound. I was in love with its grand production and visuals. 

Drowned World, again because I always felt alone in a crowded room. 

Mer Girl's lyrics were fascinating. Like Promise to Try and Inside of Me, they gave an insight into someone still dealing with grief. Although I hadn't yet experienced such a loss, I would later learn through therapy that I was grieving the loss of my childhood which ended too soon. 

The Power of Goodbye. I always understood the song to be more about death than a relationship. It's stronger in the demo I think. To be so at a loss, than you would be ready to give it all up. Been there many times over. Same with Paradise and Nobody's Perfect. 

Mother And Father for personal reasons. There was a time I was happy in my life, when I had both mother and father. And I questioned why they couldn't be with me. 

Nothing Fails, X-Static Process, Intervention and Easy Ride all appealed to me as someone constantly questioning things and trying to understand why I feel the way I do. 

Never Let You Go is a song I felt close to, I could close my eyes and just let it take me. Standing in my own darkness and feeling the music sway me. 

I Fucked Up. I do it a lot. 

Tragic Girl because I can be in my mind. 

Those are the songs that mean the most to me. Other notable ones are Live To Tell, I'll Remember, Something To Remember, Little Girl, Spanish Eyes, Dear Jessie, Isaac, Ariosa, Swim, Supernatural, Secret Garden, Sanctuary, The Beast Within, Act of Contrition and Be Careful with My Heart. 

@AspergerArtist Wow, thank you for being so open! I give you all my respect. And love of course! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I can just pick one song.  It all depends on my mood and mindset.  Some days I just like to listen to her ballads.  It's very relaxing and sometimes allows me to reflect on my life.  Other days, I just want to listen to her party songs and have fun and not have a care in the world.  Madonna's music is a great way to escape.  I'm not sure if there is just one particular song relates to whom I am.  But if I was going to go with one song that is most meaningful, it's "Live to Tell".   I think we all have a story to tell, experiences to share.  I'm just happy that I can "live to tell".  :)

When I was finishing my thesis in 2015; "Who am I, to decide what should be done. If this is the end then let it come. Let it rain, rain all over me" (Wash All Over Me) stood out in my earbuds and made me very emotional. Also, the song Secret was also released during the time I started coming out to friends, so those lyrics are fun moments to me now in retrospect.

None of her songs have ever resonated with me in a strong emotional sense, but certain memories have become attached to certain songs in the eras they occurred, namely the years from the late 80s to the mid 90s. These were my peak years as a Madonna fan, and coincided with the happiest years of my childhood/early teens. Though not my favourite song now, the one song of hers which has the most fond memories to me is Like a Prayer because my sister, our friends, and myself used to sing it all the time, and even make up silly childish dances to the track. We also used to build a lot of tree houses and always take the cassette player with us and blasted the whole album whilst we gossiped and munched on sweets. LOL

Till Death Do Us Part helped me through a heartbreak. I found it powerful and heartfelt. Also funny, which is never a bad thing.

Like many here have said, You'll See. To me it is an anthem to finding the strength to go ahead when things turn to shit. I'd like M to start flaunting this song around a great deal more than she's ever done (2 unofficial live performances in....should we really count the years?)

And then I really like Pretender. A gem no one has ever really valued. It's sexy and rock. Its lead arrangements drive me wild. 

4 hours ago, MagiC said:

And then I really like Pretender. A gem no one has ever really valued. It's sexy and rock. Its lead arrangements drive me wild. 

YES! I love Pretender too. One of my favs from the early years, and it gets me going with every play "I'll make him dance with me, I'll make him tell me why." Those lyrics (and her voice) are so poignant, and yes "sexy and rock." I wish she would revisit this song. I feel like it should have been remixed and included on You Can Dance. 

3 hours ago, Rory said:

YES! I love Pretender too. One of my favs from the early years, and it gets me going with every play "I'll make him dance with me, I'll make him tell me why." Those lyrics (and her voice) are so poignant, and yes "sexy and rock." I wish she would revisit this song. I feel like it should have been remixed and included on You Can Dance. 

I'm so happy someone shares the same feelings to the songs as I have :))

13 hours ago, Rory said:

I've always enjoyed "Pretender", and I agree she sounds absolutely fantastic on the track.  I've actually enjoyed this track, "Stay", and "Shoo Bee Doo", much more than "Like a Virgin".   Back in the day, "Pretender" was appreciated by a lot of the early fans as it was a B-side to several of her songs. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...