Has Madonna become predictable?

luckystar

i don't think i can predict what her next album will be like so no... altho image-wise she's not as surprising. Since she reached middle age she began to look back a lot more, which some of her fans love and some of her fans not so much. Some wish she was still the re-invention queen who always showed a new image, others love all the throwbacks and nostalgia. I'm fine as long as she makes good music. :thinker:

Predictable in what aspect?  To me, she's constantly evolving. Even the recent releases of hers that some fans heavily criticize are quite different from the previous.  American > Confessions...> Hard Candy> MDNA  are all different from one another. Just because she doesn't drastically change her look anymore or score huge hits with her songs, doesn't mean she's predictable.  Most fans are very interested in her direction with this next album.  I don't see anything predictable to that since all we know is she's been mostly in the studio with Mirwais and if you look back at their work together, it's pretty eclectic.  To me, if she was predictable she would be working with the same people all the time and/or not willing to explore different genres.  Also, look at her personal life.  Who would have thought over 25 years ago, Madonna would be a mother of 6 children?  Who would have thought four of them would be adopted from a third world country?  Who would have thought she'd be building medical centers, schools and funding orphanages?  Hell, the woman picked up her life for her adoptive son, and moved to another part of the world so he could play ball with the best.  That's hardly predictable, knowing her love for NY.   And as dorky as I find some of the filters and lighting she uses as well as some of the videos she posts, I never would have thought she'd use Instagram the way she has.  In the last several years, she's shown a far different side of her that I never saw before.  She's shown far more vulnerability, a lot of silly humor, playfulness and compassion.  I see a more humanistic side to her than I've ever seen of her.  No, she's not predictable! 

10 minutes ago, Bel said:

A lot of kabbalah, armageddon, darkness, dark, darkest, light, the signs, the road, luxury of time, time goes by so slowly, like a moth to a flame, hesitation, tree of life, open your eyes/mind... The albums being released about march/april, three videoclips by album, no new concepts and/or approach  about the same subjects and...

I was joking, dear. Fuzzy Dream and Hesitating are two expressions she uses frequently in her songs.

Yes. We haven't seen any great differences in her imagery or musical style at all over the past 10 years or so. It has gotten to the point where very little she produces is exciting, and much of it is predictable and rather forgettable. However, she still has that capacity to surprise us all... hopefully that will happen soon

No No No..... I think sometimes when you are in an era or in between an era it feels like... This is who she is now. Maybe forever. She's so predictable.

Case and point... After Bedtime Stories during Evita and Something to Remember... All I could think was Madonna was so boring and all she did was sing ballads and Evita and she would never make another dance song again. Take a bow, You Must Love Me, I Want You, You'll See. Don't get me wrong I still loved it, but I was going through my teens and this era felt like an eternity. Then without warning this gothic witch was hypnotizing me and shapeshifting on screen and she fucking blew my mind again. (even though Frozen was still kinda slow)

Hell after 93, I thought she was never going to tour again!! I was fucking jumping through the roof when I heard she was gonna tour in 2001. In 1993 I was 12, in 2001 I was 20. A LOOOONG TIME of never seeing Madonna Live. 

3 hours ago, Liam said:

Predictable in what aspect?  To me, she's constantly evolving. Even the recent releases of hers that some fans heavily criticize are quite different from the previous.  American > Confessions...> Hard Candy> MDNA  are all different from one another. Just because she doesn't drastically change her look anymore or score huge hits with her songs, doesn't mean she's predictable.  Most fans are very interested in her direction with this next album.  I don't see anything predictable to that since all we know is she's been mostly in the studio with Mirwais and if you look back at their work together, it's pretty eclectic.  To me, if she was predictable she would be working with the same people all the time and/or not willing to explore different genres.  Also, look at her personal life.  Who would have thought over 25 years ago, Madonna would be a mother of 6 children?  Who would have thought four of them would be adopted from a third world country?  Who would have thought she'd be building medical centers, schools and funding orphanages?  Hell, the woman picked up her life for her adoptive son, and moved to another part of the world so he could play ball with the best.  That's hardly predictable, knowing her love for NY.   And as dorky as I find some of the filters and lighting she uses as well as some of the videos she posts, I never would have thought she'd use Instagram the way she has.  In the last several years, she's shown a far different side of her that I never saw before.  She's shown far more vulnerability, a lot of silly humor, playfulness and compassion.  I see a more humanistic side to her than I've ever seen of her.  No, she's not predictable! 

I just read what you wrote listening to Joan of Arc :sad: Sometimes we fans behave like everything she does must be perfect and 'better' than what others have done or are doing right now, which is a bit unfair after all the great moments she's given us during the last 36 years, albums, tours, looks, etc. It seems to me we're so insatiable that we're never going to be satisfied or feel 'fulfilled' because we're always focusing on the bad side of her work or what could have been better, here, there and so on. How many of us have attended her tours and screamed and jumped like crazy even though we constantly complain about the setlist, the songs she didn't perform, the backdrops, etc. Or the times we rush to purchase the new album, or the new single, the new DVD, and then we complain about their technical flaws but we do make sure to invest a shitload of money by getting all the releases and rare items. It's almost sickening. I feel guilty because I know someday I'll wake up and maybe the press is gonna talk about her death... and I really don't know how I'm going to feel. What if she decided to slow down 2 decades ago? Would we be still complaining? 

1 hour ago, madgefan said:

I just read what you wrote listening to Joan of Arc :sad: Sometimes we fans behave like everything she does must be perfect and 'better' than what others have done or are doing right now, which is a bit unfair after all the great moments she's given us during the last 36 years, albums, tours, looks, etc. It seems to me we're so insatiable that we're never going to be satisfied or feel 'fulfilled' because we're always focusing on the bad side of her work or what could have been better, here, there and so on. How many of us have attended her tours and screamed and jumped like crazy even though we constantly complain about the setlist, the songs she didn't perform, the backdrops, etc. Or the times we rush to purchase the new album, or the new single, the new DVD, and then we complain about their technical flaws but we do make sure to invest a shitload of money by getting all the releases and rare items. It's almost sickening. I feel guilty because I know someday I'll wake up and maybe the press is gonna talk about her death... and I really don't know how I'm going to feel. What if she decided to slow down 2 decades ago? Would we be still complaining? 

Exactly! I think what we got here are some who forget she’s been on top for years. It’s going to be hard to top what she’s done. Most average people see her as this phenomenal 80s artist. No matter what she does, she’ll never be seen anymore than that. 

Fortunately, she’s manage to gain new fans with each new era. No one has been able to redefine themselves as Madonna has. I still think she’s still doing so. It’s definitely a battle since the entertainment field is quite ageist.  Honestly, even if I found her “boring” or “predictable” (which I don’t), I would be still happy with her output because the fact is very few entertainers have had so many defining moments in their career as she has. 

Once, Ray of Light came out, she became far more respected and revered. Most female pop stars know that Madonna paved the way for them. I don’t understand how anyone can say she’s “predictable” when most of us have no idea what to expect from her next album. As mentioned earlier, each of her albums have been quite diverse from one another.

I think some are never going to be happy with whatever she does. That’s fine, but I certainly am happy I’ve experienced Madonna from the beginning. I’m happy to see Madonna still producing new and original material.  She could have easily retired years ago or gone off the deep end. She’s done neither.  She will always have her detractors because she DOESN’T play it safe. You can’t tell me she does because those who do so, don’t make remarks about “wanting to blow up the White House”.  Most older artists reverts to doing cover or standard albums at this time in their career.  Not Madonna, She’s still exploring her life as if she was a young artist. Not only that, she’s been able to broaden her perspective based on her children’s future and experiences.  

The fact is... Madonna is going to be 60, but let’s get serious here, we don’t have many eras left with her.  There is no way she’ll be able to keep up the stamina even if she wanted to. I feel as for mainstream success that’s in the past. So I’m going to appreciate whatever she hands us now because she’s pretty much done it all. If she manages some more commercial success, that’s great.  She’ll always be a touring attraction.  In fact, the only thing i predict about her is she’ll take residency somewhere to perform in the next ten years if not beforehand. That’s fine by me since she’s toured the world many times over.  ?

2 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

No No No..... I think sometimes when you are in an era or in between an era it feels like... This is who she is now. Maybe forever. She's so predictable.

Case and point... After Bedtime Stories during Evita and Something to Remember... All I could think was Madonna was so boring and all she did was sing ballads and Evita and she would never make another dance song again. Take a bow, You Must Love Me, I Want You, You'll See. Don't get me wrong I still loved it, but I was going through my teens and this era felt like an eternity. Then without warning this gothic witch was hypnotizing me and shapeshifting on screen and she fucking blew my mind again. (even though Frozen was still kinda slow)

Hell after 93, I thought she was never going to tour again!! I was fucking jumping through the roof when I heard she was gonna tour in 2001. In 1993 I was 12, in 2001 I was 20. A LOOOONG TIME of never seeing Madonna Live. 

Yes then 2008 arrived. She started to kneel to anyone who could bring her a new fan-base wave. Not that she'd never done this before. Just she was doing it more discreetly. 

Her shows are still top-notch though, that has to be said. She's and remains THE Queen.

54 minutes ago, Liam said:

Exactly! I think what we got here are some who forget she’s been on top for years. It’s going to be hard to top what she’s done. Most average people see her as this phenomenal 80s artist. No matter what she does, she’ll never be seen anymore than that. Fortunately, she’s manage to gain new fans with each new era. No one has been able to redefine themselves as Madonna has. I still think she’s still doing so. It’s definitely a battle since the entertainment field is quite ageist.  Honestly, even if I found her “boring” or “predictable” (which I don’t), I would be still happy with her output because the fact is very few entertainers have had so many defining moments in their career as she has. Once, Ray of Light came out, she became far more respected and revered. Most female pop stars know that Madonna paved the way for them. I don’t understand how anyone can say she’s “predictable” when most of us have no idea what to expect from her next album. As mentioned earlier, each of her albums have been quite diverse from one another.  I think some are never going to be happy with whatever she does. That’s fine, but I certainly am happy I’ve experienced Madonna from the beginning. I’m happy to see Madonna still producing new and original material.  She could have easily retired years ago or gone off the deep end. She’s done neither.  She will always have her detractors because she DOESN’T play it safe. You can’t tell me she does because those who do so, don’t make remarks about “wanting to blow up the White House”.  Most older artists reverts to doing cover or standard albums at this time in their career.  Not Madonna, She’s still exploring her life as if she was a young artist. Not only that, she’s been able to broaden her perspective based on her children’s future and experiences.  

The fact is... Madonna is going to be 60, but let’s get serious here, we don’t have many eras left with her.  There is no way she’ll be able to keep up the stamina even if she wanted to. I feel as for mainstream success that’s in the past. So I’m going to appreciate whatever she hands us now because she’s pretty much done it all. If she manages some more commercial success, that’s great.  She’ll always be a touring attraction.  In fact, the only thing i predict about her is she’ll take residency somewhere to perform in the next ten years if not beforehand. That’s fine by me since she’s toured the world many times over.  ?

Is this a book?

Can anyone who's read this sum it to me? Many thanks 

2 hours ago, blondebombshell said:

I miss all the hair color changes plus super short haircuts like Isla Bonita, Rain, I'll remember. I would love to see that again. But as far as music. I always loved her music. I just still am crossing my fingers that this album will be her idea's only. and one sad song like you'll see or take a bow. IMO No Children helping and no other stars helping her creative music only. The only thing i think she's predictable about is her hair. I love bleached blonde hair always will. But would love to see dark hair with a super short hair cut. I always say like sharon stone. But now i'm adding rose mcgowan. (i love her hair)  

I guess I just appreciate she has always included others input including her children’s.  As for hair, I just don’t think a drastic change (especially really short and/or dark) will flatter her. 

6 hours ago, MagiC said:

Is this a book?

Can anyone who's read this sum it to me? Many thanks 

Look, this is uncalled for.  My post was in response to  @madgefanand was on topic and constructively written.  He had no issue reading it.  If you can't read and comprehend past a couple of sentences, then that's on you!  Though, I find it peculiar you took a swipe at my lengthy reply, while others have been as lengthy. In fact, you quoted and replied to some who were just or almost as lengthy.  Even more, I've seen you reply at length as well.

If you don't like me or my posts, use the IGNORE feature.  Consider yourself ignored and reported!

40 minutes ago, Liam said:

Look, this is uncalled for.  My post was in response to  @madgefanand was on topic and constructively written.  He had no issue reading it.  If you can't read and comprehend past a couple of sentences, then that's on you!  Though, I find it peculiar you took a swipe at my lengthy reply, while others have been as lengthy. In fact, you quoted and replied to some who were just or almost as lengthy.  Even more, I've seen you reply at length as well.

If you don't like me or my posts, use the IGNORE feature.  Consider yourself ignored and reported!

I don't know why anyone on a web forum would take a comment so personally. I don't remember what I had for breakfast..

It's a free world and I'm gonna break this out to you: I can express my ideas.

Consider myself reported? Get a life? 

10 minutes ago, LUKESAVANT said:

I think Liam and Magic .... you both need to stop replying to each other.  Let this go.  Take a moment and stop.

I've actually have been doing so for some time.  But thank you for stepping in.  :)  I just find it odd that he singled out my lengthy post which had nothing to do with him, when he quoted someone right before me that was nearly as lengthy.  He says he's free to post what he likes, but obviously that doesn't apply to other members who might have a different view point than his. :eyesroll: Anyway, he's permanently ignored now!!  I just don't want the same happening to other members here in the future who might post at length.  Personally, I enjoy people who take time to write thought-out responses.  :)

11 hours ago, blondebombshell said:

I miss all the hair color changes plus super short haircuts like Isla Bonita, Rain, I'll remember. I would love to see that again. But as far as music. I always loved her music. I just still am crossing my fingers that this album will be her idea's only. and one sad song like you'll see or take a bow. IMO No Children helping and no other stars helping her creative music only. The only thing i think she's predictable about is her hair. I love bleached blonde hair always will. But would love to see dark hair with a super short hair cut. I always say like sharon stone. But now i'm adding rose mcgowan. (i love her hair)  

My god can you imagine her with platinum blonde hair? I'dlove that