Celebrities talk about Madonna

NowRadiate

In their Best of Late Night – a rundown of the previous night’s highlights – the New York Times recalls how Jimmy Fallon got surprised twice by Madonna at the Met Galaon Monday night.

Fallon recapped his night at the Met Gala in New York, where he clowned with his late-night rival Stephen Colbert on the red carpet before heading in. The event was themed Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination, and it featured a performance from the most biblical pop star of them all: Madonna.

Fallon said he had a suspicion she would sing, but his hopes were dashed when she showed up next to him in the audience. (When he complimented her outfit, her reply was: “Bless you.”)

But then Madonna reappeared in dramatic fashion just a few minutes later atop a flight of stairs, where she emerged from under the hood of a monastic robe to sing Like a Prayer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

groovyguy

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7415477/sky-ferreira-response-la-weekly-sexist-article-madonna   Sky Ferreira Responds to Sexist 'L.A. Weekly' Column, Shares Photo With Madonna   Last Friday (June 17), L.A. Weekly ran an online column about critically acclaimed alt-pop artist Sky Ferreira, which was roundly criticized throughout the media world for being sexist. The piece -- which spent an unnerving amount of words describing her breasts and comparing them to Madonna’s -- garner

groovyguy

Flashback:  Here’s what five producers have to say about the overlooked musician Madonna Ciccone:   NILE RODGERS “People don’t give Madonna the real respect and credit that she’s due. She is the single hardest working person I’ve ever worked with, and I’ve worked with literally hundreds of stars. Madonna shows up early, stays late, she’ll do every single task you want her to do and more. She’s the kind of person that you dream about.†(source MTV UK)   STUART PRICE “Sheâ

groovyguy

Madonna and Kevin Costner Make Up https://www.entertainmentwise.com/madonna-and-kevin-costner-make-up/   Kevin Costner has revealed how Madonna apologized for mocking him on film in her 1991 documentary, ?Truth Or Dare?.   The actor admits he was ?embarrassed? and ?hurt? by the scene showing him telling Madge backstage during the Blond Ambition tour that her show was ?neat? only for the singer to shove her finger down her throat and say, “Anybody who says my show is ‘neat’ has to goâ€

On 11.5.2018 at 11:49 AM, groovyguy said:

In their Best of Late Night – a rundown of the previous night’s highlights – the New York Times recalls how Jimmy Fallon got surprised twice by Madonna at the Met Galaon Monday night.

Fallon recapped his night at the Met Gala in New York, where he clowned with his late-night rival Stephen Colbert on the red carpet before heading in. The event was themed Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination, and it featured a performance from the most biblical pop star of them all: Madonna.

Fallon said he had a suspicion she would sing, but his hopes were dashed when she showed up next to him in the audience. (When he complimented her outfit, her reply was: “Bless you.”)

But then Madonna reappeared in dramatic fashion just a few minutes later atop a flight of stairs, where she emerged from under the hood of a monastic robe to sing Like a Prayer.

It's nice that he likes her but... he is so not funny...a bore.

3 hours ago, groovyguy said:

Saw clips of her long ago. Guess she tried to pursue some attention in light of Madonna’s success after True Blue.

ALSO, this makes me wonder... how come Madonna never was heard with a Midwestern accent like that used by Paula here? She’s from Detroit, I’m sure all her youth she spoke with a Midwestern accent lol.

6 hours ago, cailohfornia said:

ALSO, this makes me wonder... how come Madonna never was heard with a Midwestern accent like that used by Paula here? She’s from Detroit, I’m sure all her youth she spoke with a Midwestern accent lol.

Oh, early on you could hear it in her interviews. However, I feel Madonna quickly adapts to her environment.  Take the whole British accent criticism she got (which I thought was silly and ridiculous).   Many people when they surround themselves in a certain environment, they suddenly become part of it.  Madonna has always been a person who seems to soak up whatever she's around. 

I had an aunt who lived in Texas for a couple of years.  During that time, it was weird to me to hear her speak because she suddenly started having a southern draw to her voice. 

7 hours ago, Liam said:

Oh, early on you could hear it in her interviews. However, I feel Madonna quickly adapts to her environment. 

I feel as if she consciously threw that out ? LOL IDK I feel as if she wasn't that proud to hail from the Midwest, don'chanoe!? Hahaha.

I understand you! You become a sponge to your environment if you're the odd one lol. Maybe New York truly was her first reinvention accent-wise. 

OMG! The only time I did somewhat hear her speak with the Midwest accent was during the opening of SNL 1985! Wow!

On 5/26/2018 at 6:50 PM, cailohfornia said:

I feel as if she consciously threw that out ? LOL IDK I feel as if she wasn't that proud to hail from the Midwest, don'chanoe!? Hahaha.

I understand you! You become a sponge to your environment if you're the odd one lol. Maybe New York truly was her first reinvention accent-wise. 

OMG! The only time I did somewhat hear her speak with the Midwest accent was during the opening of SNL 1985! Wow!

Check out the infamous David Letterman appearance in '94.  I just came across it again today, and you definitely hear her Michigan accent.  Also, you hear it in the Arsenio interview with Rosie. 

Why Antonio Banderas calls Madonna ‘the most committed artist’ he’s ever worked with

https://ew.com/movies/2018/06/08/antonio-banderas-madonna-evita/

In 1996, Antonio Banderas starred with pop icon Madonna in the musical drama Evita, in which Madonna starred in the role of Eva Péron and Banderas played Argentinian everyman Ché. While Madonna’s casting was controversial, Banderas had nothing but love reflecting back on his costar. “She was totally into this character. It was actually great working with her,” he tells Lola Ogunnaike, host of PeopleTV’s Couch Surfing.

The actor recalls a day filming at La Casa Rosada—the residence of the Argentinian President, akin to the White House, where Madonna showed her commitment to the film: “She got an idea with [director] Alan Parker: we have 5,000 extras in the Plaza de Mayo where she has to give a speech—”Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina.” So she came dressed as Eva Duarte de Perón, shooting with no rehearsal, no nothing, and the extras’ reaction was extraordinary. All of the extras started crying, and the cameras were shooting, so we captured all of that. It was one of those magic moments I will never forget. ”

21 hours ago, brazilfan said:

wow this is really interesting behind story!

Especially whole extras was crying during Madonna sing don't cry for me Aregentina!!

I love what he says here because he is acknowledging and is able to appreciate what Madonna put into that role. She is amazing because of the emotion she has for the portrayal of the charactor and more importantly for the themes and connections that charactor has with others.

Her emotional connection is so real here that it takes over any technical criticisms of her performance. There are many approaches to acting but Madonna has the art and heart down in this performance and I think Antonio as an artist really sees that. 

Deborah Feingold, Brian Aris on working with Madonna

When Deborah Feingold photographed her in Feingold’s studio flat in New York in 1982, it was clear that even aged 24 and yet to release her first album, the young singer was incredibly focused:

“She took the elevator to my seventh-floor flat and got straight on with it,” Feingold recalls of the shoot for Star Hits magazine. “She was completely in control of everything. She knew how she wanted to look, how to move, and how she would look from every angle. We barely spoke. She just danced and I shot – about 48 frames. We didn’t talk about anything. I had a bowl of candy in the room and she just took some bubblegum and then picked up a lollipop and licked it. After about 15 minutes, we knew we’d both got what we wanted and she left.”

Brian Aris was asked to photograph the young singer two years later, in London.

“Madonna arrived on time but with a large entourage – and there was a spat at the end when one young man tried to collect a number of my Polaroid pictures,” he said. “Madonna didn’t conform to the normal pop profile of the period. She didn’t want over-made-up styling. Compared to the big hair and extraordinary make-up used by stars like Boy George and Eurythmics, her look was pretty subdued. She had serious attitude and knew exactly what she wanted, but there were no tears or tantrums. Madonna had great sex appeal and a unique look. She always confronts and challenges the camera.”

Daily Mail

'I signed her for $15k from my hospital bed': The legendary record exec Seymour Stein recalls how he signed the bolshie unknown Madonna but how she would never allow herself to be controlled by any man

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-5816461/Seymour-Stein-recounts-Madonnas-rise-fame.html

With her seductively catchy smash hits and signature style, Madonna had the competition licked from the start. As she turns 60, Event looks back on the dazzling rise and sheer gall of the Material Girl, through the eyes of those who know her best – starting with the untold story of the man who unleashed pop’s biggest and brashest plucky star!

I was awaiting open-heart surgery in New York’s Lenox Hill Hospital in mid-1982 when the demo tape arrived. As penicillin dripped into my heart, I slotted it into my Sony Walkman and immediately felt an excitement. I liked the hook, I liked the voice, I liked the feel, and I liked her name. I liked it all and played it again.I reached over and called up Mark Kamins, the DJ who was hustling this new singer and her song to record companies all over town.

Seymour Stein on Madonna: 'Lots of people have written about Madonna’s natural star power, and it’s absolutely true that when she was still a complete unknown she oozed a dazzling aura'

‘Can I meet you and Madonna?’

He called back and said they’d drop by the hospital that evening.

‘What?’

‘I know. I told her you were sick, but she really wants this.’

I hit all the panic buttons. ‘Get me a pair of pyjamas,’ I told my secretary. ‘Oh, and send me a hairdresser as soon as you can.’

Months before, Mark had started dropping hints about a dancing beauty who had introduced herself to him at Danceteria, the number-one downtown New York club. She charmed the pants off him, literally, and played him a self-made demo of a song called Everybody. He had reworked and revamped it and I was finally hearing it.

By the time Madonna walked into my hospital room, my hair was good and I no longer smelled like a farm labourer. Of course, she took one look at the tube stuck into my skin and squirmed. Not that she really cared about my predicament. She’d come to get a record deal before this old record guy croaked, along with his cheque-signing hand.

Madonna ended up selling more than 300 million records for Warner. Over two decades she clocked up 12 No 1 singles, 48 Top 10s and eight No 1 albums, and all that’s just in the US alone

Full article @ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article5816461/Seymour-Stein-recounts-Madonnas-rise-fame.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Joe Henry

August 16, 2015

this is the young woman i met shortly after our family's move to michigan in 1975 --as i entered my sophomore year of high school and, she, her senior one. together, we were in the Thespian Society; and in that winter's first production, we were cast as mother and son --the wife and child of ralph waldo emerson-- in a play about thoreau.

she was whip-smart and short on patience; and to tell the truth, she scared me more than a little. but along with her sister Paula, her presence upon my landscape nudged open a door through which i would pass and find my life utterly and forever changed...that unusual and sprawling family becoming, years later, my own.

no one is more surprised than i by the way our lives have expanded; by the way that our journeys have diverged and become entangled. like anyone, i can sometimes forget to see the flesh and blood/heart and mind behind the parade float that is her public persona. but then i will find myself across the kitchen table from her, sharing a martini, and be additionally shocked to recognize anew the compact, terse-yet-compassionate human at the switches.

i have told this tale before, but it bears repeating: when elvis presley died on this date in 1977, this upstart professed in real-time that she felt his spirit had passed out of his body and through her own in exodus.

i laughed at her then for such outrageous self-possession, at the arrogance that i assumed must allow her to declare such publicly.

today, when there is laughter, it is the laugh of recognition i hear --and it begins somewhere high above me, where things that once seemed implausible play with wild abandon and in broad daylight.

happy birthday, madonna louise veronica ciccone.