Madonna to present Video of the Year at the VMAs TONIGHT!

Lum

8 hours ago, madenis said:

Madonna's speech was self centered yes. But I don't understand this backlash. Her speech was not presented as a tribute to Aretha Franklin. 

MTV set her up. They made it look like as if she was there to pay a tribute to Aretha Franklin when truth is she went there to present video of the year. Once again people are quick to spread negative opnions without knowing all the facts. In the end MTV got what they wanted which is relevance through this Madonna backlash.

Funny how peeps are not upset that This Is America didnt win video of the year. That should have had people talking... but Madonna goes in dressed from head to toe (without showing an inch of naked skin), talks about her life in the beginning of her career mentioning and thanking Aretha Franklin and people lose their rags. 

11 minutes ago, *mlvc* said:

So, it looks like she's responding to the criticism in a nice way. I still think she made some mistakes, though. This was the first time I've heard that she sang "Natural Woman" for an audition. Maybe it's true, but that's not the version I've heard before.

What kind of mistakes she made though? She didnt go dressed all in black, crying her eyes out begging for support and help because she cant cope without her favourite person in the world Aretha Franklin? She didnt repeat 100 times how much she misses her and loves her and how big of an inspiration shes been to her and my oh my how can she survive? Madonnas not like that! Shes real. Even with MJ she talked about her experiences with him which were very insightful. She might as well even made up the story she sang Arethas Natural Woman tune at one of her auditions but would you have rather M say she was best friends with Aretha and always wanted to work with her and how much they loved each other, blah,blah?  Madonnas never used someones death to make herself look good or appreciated. The whole thing came across bad because of the MTV set up. 

No one is taking about the elephant in the room here. RACISM and MISOGYNY.

Unfortunately there are too many people who can’t stand the fact that Madonna, a white woman, was chosen to acknowledge a black performer. This is the same racist misogyny BS that dogged her Michael Jackson and Prince tributes. 

It’s the same racist misogyny that compels so-called ‘fans’ to call her grills  ugly, and criticise her outfit because they ignorantly think she looks like a ‘gypsy’, as if that were somehow a bad thing, even if it were true.

Would anyone dare say the samething about a black man wearing grills? Would they call a Berber Warrior Queen ugly for wearing those clothes? No, of course not. But these choices are unacceptable for Madonna because she is a white western woman. It’s forbidden. It’s not for her. She ‘should’ know better by now.

Well guess what? She’s been smashing down these barriers her entire career, combating petty, narrow-minded ignorance throughout her adult life. It makes perfect sense that Aretha Franklin was just a footnote in Madonna’s career, because no matter how influential Aretha Franklin may have been, her life pales in significance to Madonna’s achievements and all her detractors can’t stand it.

They wanted to see a black artist up there so they could enjoy ‘their’ moment. It’s racism. Pure and simple. Call it what is and don’t shy away from it, because it’s not acceptable.

I would hope after everything she’s gone through her ‘fans’ would understand it by now, and defend her unreservedly - but here we are, 2018, and there are still so many who entirely missed the point... yet again. 

Long live Madonna, because her work is clearly not done yet.

15 minutes ago, tajybajyboo said:

Unfortunately there are too many people who can’t stand the fact that Madonna, a white woman, was chosen to acknowledge a black performer. This is the same racist misogyny BS that dogged her Michael Jackson and Prince tributes. 

It’s the same racist misogyny that compels so-called ‘fans’ to call her grills  ugly, and criticise her outfit because they ignorantly think she looks like a ‘gypsy’, as if that were somehow a bad thing, even if it were true.

Would anyone dare say the samething about a black man wearing grills? Would they call a Berber Warrior Queen ugly for wearing those clothes? No, of course not. But these choices are unacceptable for Madonna because she is a white western woman. It’s forbidden. It’s not for her. She ‘should’ know better by now.

Here we are again... only just after a few days...

Is it so difficult to understand that here we al have different opinions?

I wrote the grillz are ugly.

This doesn't make me a racist.

And I am not a "so called" fan!

The grillz are ugly IMO.

Yet, I found her dress original.

Full stop. It is just a question of look and style.

50 minutes ago, Enrico said:

Here we are again... only just after a few days...

Is it so difficult to understand that here we al have different opinions?

I wrote the grillz are ugly.

This doesn't make me a racist.

And I am not a "so called" fan!

The grillz are ugly IMO.

Yet, I found her dress original.

Full stop. It is just a question of look and style.

Exactly!!! Not a fan of that outfit, either. Not a fan of these pictures with that look of her, not at all. Too "over the top", she doesn't need to dress like that! 2mpk6py.jpg

And I really hope she's not looking like this for the photos of the new album.

Seriously... can't you stand, tajybajyboo, that people here have their own opinion, and believe it or not there are positive and negative opinions too? :thumbsup:

Btw, I'm more than happy to see her there, presenting an award. But I'm tired of the industry often remembering Madonna when it comes to pay hommages to others/tributes/or only appearing to talk. :bothered2:

She needs to come back with new material of her own and reclaim that stage in the VMA's to perform again one of her songs/new single:party:

If Madonna had done so, the millionaire audience and incredible exposure that she could have had with such an important event in the industry like the VMA's (well, today less and less :laughing:), it would have meant x10 times the promo she will do in whatever TV shows she visits this fall-winter for example (supposedly). Premiering the new song in VMA's would just have done 80% of the promotion she needs today. But well, the girl prefers to present an award instead of performing the first single of her album...

Nothing good came out of her doing this. There was literally no point. It wasn't to promote or announce anything. It made no sense. It just brought bad publicity. And yes, I, like many others, are going to sound like a broke record, but it's really time to lose the grillz. If you're going to make a speech or do any interviews, take them out. I couldn't even make out half of what she was saying. It made the entire thing all the more cringe-worthy. I heard her say something about a "crack house" during what "appeared" to be a tribute to a black woman (omg, lol) and was even promoting Rebel Heart again (did I step into a time machine?). Even if I believed her and this wasn't meant to be an Aretha tribute, it wasn't even a good speech for a Video of the Year. What did her speech have to do about her history of making music videos??! It was just a mess. Madonna, no more tributes! Listen to Nancy Reagan: "JUST SAY NO." :04:

I don't even think she knew who the hell Camilla was. 

I didn't see anything wrong with her speech. I mean they ask her last minute if she would present "The Video of the Year award" and say a few words about Althea she was rushed how can she do a proper tribute in a short time? She could of done a great tribute for 10 minutes and people will still hate on her.

9 minutes ago, RayOfLight said:

Remember guys theres no such a thing as bad publicity. At least can we all agree with that?

Yeah! Probably! She got the publicity she wanted yeah... I can agree with that.

One thing is clear, she definitely loves to be the center of attention! Always. serlg4.jpgserlg4.jpg

7 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

The point is she is terrible at tributes to other artists, always has been. She should not be asked to do it. She is very good at doing acceptance speeches and other topics were she can talk about herself and she does it well. Last night was tragic. It is not that it was calculated or that she wanted to take a dig at Franklin, it was just a bad speech and felt out of place. She was talking about her own struggle as an artist in front of an image of Frankling. Not good optics. And that terrible wardrobe didn't help.

Madonna is a narcisist. She only loves herself and her accompishments 

17 minutes ago, RayOfLight said:

Remember guys theres no such a thing as bad publicity. At least can we all agree with that?

That was true in Madonna's case when she had good music backing her. People could slam her but they couldn't deny that she made great tunes. Now we're in a bit of a lull musically. All we have is bad publicity on top of bad publicity and nothing else. It's beginning to stick. And let's face it, Madonna's bad publicity of the past was fun. This current phase of bad publicity is just sloppy. This isn't Sex book bad publicity. It's just a WTF is going on? :Madonna048:

37 minutes ago, drivebitch said:

It was just a mess. Madonna, no more tributes! Listen to Nancy Reagan: "JUST SAY NO." 

Yeah!! Please let it be a NEW performance of her, and coming from her. Not anymore tributes, hommages, renditions to others or to present an award etc in these events. Enough of that. And I said ENOUGH lol. serlg4.jpg :cute:

3 hours ago, RayOfLight said:

MTV set her up. They made it look like as if she was there to pay a tribute to Aretha Franklin when truth is she went there to present video of the year. Once again people are quick to spread negative opnions without knowing all the facts. In the end MTV got what they wanted which is relevance through this Madonna backlash. 

That's exactly what I thought too.

Well it needed to be said and needs to be heard. I don’t mean to offend anyone. I’m here to make friends not ruffle feathers, but racism towards towards white people does exist, and Madonna has been repeatedly targeted throughout her career. Surely on one would deny that? She even referenced it herself in her speech!

& Of course it makes people feel uncomfortable, as it well should, because racism is horrible, no matter who the target is. But it can’t and shouldn’t be ignored either.

This is not about the in-balance of power in society, between white and non-white, but about judgements and criticisms made solely on the basis of skin colour.

Madonna could quite literally be trying to raise an impoverished African nation, one child at a time, and yet there are certain people who will only ever see a white woman ‘taking’ black children out of Africa for her own wicked, selfish gain. ‘You only see what your eyes want to see. How can life be what you want it to be. You’re frozen when you’re heart’s not open’. This may not be the intended context of those lyrics, but it conveys exceptional meaning in these circumstances.

I’m not trying to stir the pot here, but if Madonna has taught us anything , surely we should be more sensitive towards cultures and people we don’t understand? These are traditional garments worn by people in a country we may not know anything about, so it’s incredibley rude and ignorant to make glib criticisms and qualify them as mere ‘difference of opinion’.

There are some who think gay people are disgusting. Should we blindly accept that as just a ‘difference of opinion’? Ultimately it’s someone else culture. It’s a part of their life, their identity. Perhaps it’s only ‘ugly’ because we don’t understand it, but if we took a moment, opened our hearts and minds, then perhaps we might appreciate it more?

Anyway, this all said always with love and respect.

50 minutes ago, drivebitch said:

That was true in Madonna's case when she had good music backing her. People could slam her but they couldn't deny that she made great tunes. Now we're in a bit of a lull musically. All we have is bad publicity on top of bad publicity and nothing else. It's beginning to stick. And let's face it, Madonna's bad publicity of the past was fun. This current phase of bad publicity is just sloppy. This isn't Sex book bad publicity. It's just a WTF is going on? :Madonna048:

Again, theres no such a thing as bad publicty. People might be grossed out BAD but theyre still talking about her. And please, the music is still good but M is not played or supported anywhere.. if anything she gets put down and rediculed because of her age and because shes Madonna.   

2 hours ago, tajybajyboo said:

Well guess what? She’s been smashing down these barriers her entire career, combating petty, narrow-minded ignorance throughout her adult life. It makes perfect sense that Aretha Franklin was just a footnote in Madonna’s career, because no matter how influential Aretha Franklin may have been, her life pales in significance to Madonna’s achievements and all her detractors can’t stand it.

They wanted to see a black artist up there so they could enjoy ‘their’ moment. It’s racism. Pure and simple. Call it what is and don’t shy away from it, because it’s not acceptable.

I would hope after everything she’s gone through her ‘fans’ would understand it by now, and defend her unreservedly - but here we are, 2018, and there are still so many who entirely missed the point... yet again. 

Long live Madonna, because her work is clearly not done yet.

Madonna is not a victim of racism. People complain because minorities don't get equal credit, respect and space. I wish Madonna wasn't seemingly involved every time white culture needs a voice on black culture. Someone like her doesn't express sentiments in these occasions that would have a lot more value than her anecdotes (as fun as they are), because she has not experienced the life of a black person/artist. I wish she had kept that in mind. I didn't watch the show but if this truly was all the VMAs could do for Aretha it is very sad, and M let herself be put in the eye of the storm for no good reason. And dressed as an african to boot, something she is not. I know she actually understands what it represents much more than most of us and she has genuine respect and admiration for it, but the message it sends is one of protecting the norm of white cultural influence and whitewashing. I'm not someone to get angry at cultural appropriation, but i understand where the frustration comes from. Instead of being culturally invasive, we could be moving towards more cultural inclusivity. We shouldn't need white faces to bring other cultures to the mainstream front any longer. This is the old way. Sometimes things are misguided despite all good intentions. I also strongly implore Madonna fans to reconsider their views of white victimization, because despite any missteps here and there, I know she doesn't have that mindset, and she does not and has never represented those values. 

This cultural appropriation thing is such a silly but also dangerous thing. Just another way to spit venom around and not focus on most important things. I cant believe people fell and are still falling for that.

Its not cultural appropriation. Its cultural appreciation. Please, spread it around.