Madonna to present Video of the Year at the VMAs TONIGHT!

Lum

28 minutes ago, tajybajyboo said:

Well it needed to be said and needs to be heard. I don’t mean to offend anyone. I’m here to make friends not ruffle feathers, but racism towards towards white people does exist, and Madonna has been repeatedly targeted throughout her career. Surely on one would deny that? She even referenced it herself in her speech!

That's not what she meant at all. She was being complimentary, not complaining about racism against her.

Throughtout her career Madonna has been accused of being a slut, sleeping her way tot the top, a bad singer, a bad actress, a bad director, using people to get what she wants, using her body for attention, marrying for attention, to give birth to a child for attention, riping off other artists works, being a Marylin Monroe clone, being talentless, using other cultures, kidnapping African children, doing charity for attention, ripping off underground music, doing bad memorials tributes, talking about herself excessively.. i mean i can go on for days. But none of it stopped her. Shes still Madonna going strong and getting ready for the next era.

2 minutes ago, RayOfLight said:

Throughtout her career Madonna has been accused of being a slut, sleeping her way tot the top, a bad singer, a bad actress, a bad director, using people to get what she wants, using her body for attention, marrying for attention, to give birth to a child for attention, riping off other artists works, being a Marylin Monroe clone, being talentless, using other cultures, kidnapping African children, doing charity for attention, ripping off underground music, doing bad memorials tributes, talking about herself excessively.. i mean i can go on for days. But none of it stopped her. Shes still Madonna going strong and getting ready for the next era.

Good for her for being strong. The misogyny against her has always been obvious. 

Her VMAs appearance... Well It was stroke of genius.

I mean It was great opportunity to Madonna to check her real image without Instagram filters before her new album comming out.

I mean I really love her Instagram image at her birthday. beautiful long hair and exotic dress with glorious Instagram filters. And genius camera angle hide her body shape.

That was spot on! I loved it!

But her VMAs appearance.. well... sigh.. we have to be honest here.

That was hot mess.

Ageists which keep tell to her she should acting like her age and she should wearing dress like her age must love to watch her at VMAs and very satisfied. Because she was literally looking like some old sloppy gypsy grandmother.

But I really don't get that these backlash about her speech. I mean these stupid young fuckers which constantly showing disgusting and disrespectful behavior to  a living legend, the one and only Queen of pop Madonna. They even doesn't know who is the living legend, the one and only queen of pop Madonna.

But they suddenly acting like they are well know about DEAD Aretha Franklin "right after she died".

I mean.. seriously. These stupid little useless young shit mother Fs..

these Mother Fs even doesn't know about A living legend Madonna and doesn't show respect to her then these little piece of shit complain about her speech was not enough showing respect to DEAD Aretha frankin?

Wow i just wow. I bet that these little stupid Mother Fs all know about Aretha frankin is just this gif. 

giphy.gif

The most disgusting fact is these useless stupid young mother Fs gonna acting like they well know about Madonna and they did care about Madonna and they always respect Madonna "right after she dead"

I feel it wouldn't have mattered if Madonna's speech would have been different. It's just very fashionable to hate Madonna these last couple of years. She just cannot win or do any good in the eyes of the public. So she talks about herself? Immediately people jump on the narcissism bandwagon. If she had kissed Aretha's ass and would not have talked about herself people would have said it would not have been Madonna's right to do so. Because she's old, white and pop and she doesn't know soul. If she hadn't said anything at all people would have accused her of being arrogant: Why doesn't the Queen of Pop say anything about the Queen of Soul? And so on, and so on. It's just a shame she feels she has to explain herself of defend herself. I would rather have seen her ignore the haters. I mean, she must be used to it by now. It happened after MJ, it happened after Prince. But still MTV, Billboard and lots of fans expect her to say something. Because she is the elder stateswoman of pop music, like a president. She commands respect with her experience, knowledge and wisdom. Other artists look up to her. And these other artists know that Madonna has paved the way for all of them. But the general public is different. People tend to forget and the younger generation hardly knows what Madonna is famous for. Madonna has survived, she has seen artists come and go and still holds the crown. Some people can't stand it, some want to see her fall.

Because people tend to forget things this will all blow over very quickly. And I truly believe where Madonna's music is concerned we are in for something special if not spectacular. So let's forget the VMA's and move on, her music will be coming soon.

To clarify, I don’t think Madonna is a ‘victim’ of racism. She may have been the intended target, but she has never allowed herself to be a victim.

And when she talked about the expectations placed on ‘a skinny-ass white girl’, I think she was being very matter of fact. She wasn’t looking for sympathy.

She’s never allowed herself the time to wallow in self-pity and I admire that the most about her. I wish I were more like her in that respect.

OMG AGAIN WITH THE RACE THING JESUS! Hahahahahahahaha! 

HONESTLY, get over it! It will never go away. There will always be people offended or looking to be "victims."

HONESTLY, as a brown (non-white, now-black) person, I have come to accept that white-r skin will most likely have an advantage, at least in this Westernized society. This is truth and is undeniable. You just adapt, educate, and assimilate nicely. Move on.

HONESTLY, there are more important things than racism blah blah blah! Get over it. Just accept it and move on. It's been going on for millenia! It's human nature. It's biology. It's just how it is!

NOW LET US APPRECIATE MADONNA STILL BEING MADONNA. WHO THE FUCK CARES IF PEOPLE ARE OFFENDED? SHE HAS OFFENDED SINCE 1983 LOL, IT WILL SIMPLY BLOW OVER ANYWAY. MADONNA IS STILL OUT THERE NOT GIVING A FUCK AND WE ALL SHOULD ALSO NOT GIVE A FUCK LESS AND ENJOY THE RIDE ONCE AGAIN. Thank you. Kisses to all you people yassssssssssssth! 

(Don't @ me cause I won't respond.

2 cents are 2 cents! Love y'all) :kissy::rainbow::fantasy:

6 hours ago, Suzy Q. said:

I feel it wouldn't have mattered if Madonna's speech would have been different. It's just very fashionable to hate Madonna these last couple of years. She just cannot win or do any good in the eyes of the public. So she talks about herself? Immediately people jump on the narcissism bandwagon. If she had kissed Aretha's ass and would not have talked about herself people would have said it would not have been Madonna's right to do so. Because she's old, white and pop and she doesn't know soul. If she hadn't said anything at all people would have accused her of being arrogant: Why doesn't the Queen of Pop say anything about the Queen of Soul? And so on, and so on.

We shouldn't overlook that it is and has always been in Madonna's nature to deliberately rock the boat and its quite likely this is no different. She has a such a big team of people surely if she wanted to be more thoughtful of what she's doing and what the reaction may be she could be. Either she's surrounded by yes men or she simply doesn't care. Now I'm not saying she *should* care, the political correctness and bandwagon mentality of today is tiresome. But let's not pretend she's so innocent or oblivious after all these years.

11 minutes ago, RebelHeart said:

I'm just tired of the fact that she is not dressed anymore, she is just disguised. 

lol yes!!! I'm all for making a statement, but I was confused about what statement she was trying to make last night, and relate that, back to what she was wearing, and Aretha and the award she was presenting!

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/08/21/640587899/the-story-behind-madonnas-silver-horns-at-the-vmas?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

The Story Behind Madonna's Silver Horns At The VMAs

August 21, 20186:40 PM ET

JOANNE LU

gettyimages-1020400614_custom-56cea129e4
Enlarge this image

Madonna's outfit at the Video Music Awards had elements from North Africa's Amazigh people.

Michael Loccisano/Getty Images for MTV

Madonna is no stranger to controversy, and she stirred it again last night when she showed up to the MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) on Monday night wearing jewelry and garb from North Africa's Amazigh people.

Her ensemble included a horned headdress, heavy silver necklaces and a colorful tunic, all of which can be found in shops in Morocco, where she celebrated her 60th birthday last week.

Fashion critics had a field day. They condemned her for cultural appropriation and mocked her stylistic choices.

"It's a little insulting how people are just saying, 'What is she wearing?' and making fun of it without trying to find out about it," says Cynthia Becker, an associate professor of African art at Boston University, who specializes in Amazigh (pronounced ah-ma-ZEER) art. She's the author of Amazigh Arts in Morocco: Women Shaping Berber Identity.

The clothing and jewelry reflect the fashion of the Imazighen (pronounced ee-ma-ZEERen, the plural form of Amazigh), who live in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Mauritania, Western Sahara, the Canary Islands, as well as parts of Mali, Egypt and Niger. They're often referred to as Berbers but many Imazighen consider the term derogatory – it's a 19th century nomenclature derived from the Greek word "barbaria," meaning barbarians.

Imazighen, from their language Tamazight, means "free people."

In Morocco, an estimated 40 percent to 60 percent of the population is of Amazigh descent, but only in the last couple decades has their language and culture been officially recognized and promoted by the government. That's why markets are now full of pieces like the ones Madonna was wearing.

Traditionally, Becker says, an Amazigh man would give this kind of jewelry and textiles to their bride before the wedding. The bride wore the gifts during the ceremony and afterward in their day-to-day life as a sign of her marital status. Becker says the jewelry also served as a type of "portable bank account" that a woman could cash in if her husband passed away or the family experienced financial hardship.

In addition to being "portable wealth," writes Courtney Stewart, senior research assistant, department of Islamic Art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, "coins make a great noise when the wearer moves. So a group of women wearing the jewelry "would have a significant auditory component."

In an email to NPR, Stewart also notes that the color red, in the coral in the headband "is sometimes associated with feminity and fertility." And the gemstones in the headband, including coral, are thought to provide Baraka –blessings.

The three square boxes in the necklace, she says, "may originally have been designed to hold protective verses inside – usually from the Quran."

Sahar Amarir, 25, is a Moroccan Amazigh graduate student who is studying Middle Eastern politics at Harvard University. She says she recognized Madonna's headdress as one that is only worn by the Ait Baamrane tribe, which had fiercely resisted colonization.

"If I'm walking in the street and I see this woman, I would never confuse her for a Berber of any other type," says Amarir.

Although many Amazigh headdresses have cones, she says that only those worn by women in the Ait Baamrane tribe have such prominent horns.

Becker says that women in southeastern Morocco have told her that they wore bracelets with large points as weapons in the past. Some women also say the horns are a symbol of fertility, and silver is believed to have protective properties against the evil eye.

Becker says the aesthetic of a strong Amazigh woman is conveyed through the jewelry. "A beautiful Amazigh woman is one that is fierce and strong and powerful and can work hard," she says.

Amazigh women haven't worn this kind of jewelry and garb in their daily life since the 1960s, according to Becker. As Morocco continues to develop, they're opting for Western styles, although brides may still take wedding photos in traditional dress.

"I often see in many of the shops in Marrakech, they'll take many of the old Amazigh pieces and put them together to create something more modern, and I think that's largely what [Madonna's] wearing," Becker says.

It's sad, she says, because Moroccan museums have very few old silver pieces now, since most of them have been taken apart, reconstituted and sold. "But who am I to decide? I think it's ultimately up to people to decide what they want to preserve."

As for Madonna co-opting the style for herself? Becker says she's not wearing a traditional outfit anyway. The pieces themselves are "an amalgamation of styles from different parts of southwestern Morocco," her braids are very common in the area of Guelmim, in southern Morocco, and at least one of her bracelets is South African beadwork.

That's not the only cross-cultural element. Courtney Stewart points out that Madonna is wearing "Christian-style crosses around her neck, which is atypical of Berber jewelry as Berbers are predominantly Muslim."

As for the issue of cultural appropriation: Becker's husband, Addi Ouadderrou, a Moroccan Amazigh, says he understands the concern but it doesn't bother him.

"I think it's fine what Madonna did," says Ouadderrou. "If someone comes to Morocco and wants to wear our clothes, to me, that's an honor; that's not an insult."

Joanne Lu is a freelance journalist who covers global poverty and inequity. Her work has appeared in Humanosphere, The Guardian, Global Washington and War is Boring. Follow her on Twitter @joannelu.

As always with Madonna wether it's intentional on her part or not what she says and does creates a reaction that says way much more about the state of our society when you read the anger in the comments. When one resolves to use hate, insult and words of discrimination (her age, her beard like i read...) one totally lose credibility for what they fight for because they are doing exactly what they are against but with a different subject. 

I hope they use the same energy against the real enemy like they do with an ally even though she's awkward in her support. 

Oh god...

I've reading in the net and all are critics for her...

It's true that when I was watching the live show I thought "why is she talking about her all the time?" and "why shes has not been in the Grande performance?"

I think that putting the Aretha picture when se was going out was the mistake. People thought it was going to be a tribute, and it was the right thing to think. But it wasn't at all (strange to assume). It was just a history about her with a little Aretha appearance in a segment opened with an Aretha image.

Every newspaper and magazine on the net are talking about a selfish Madonna writing about how she is trying to look chick with "quelle horreur" and millennial with "lol" expressions and remember how she ruined Prince tribute and how she spoke about her (not as much as now) in the Michael Jackson tribute on 2009 VMA's too.

On 8/21/2018 at 9:41 AM, The Same Parts said:

Was hoping for a performance when I woke up. But there's only the bad press.

Yep!

Maybe in a way all this exposure/publicity these days (Madonna’s 60th Birthday & VMA's) is great I suppose, but I would really like all the press to focus on her and applaud her when she releases the new album... hopefully because it's also "cool" again :angel:

I'm really looking forward to what she has in store for the next new album:pop::cute:

9 hours ago, cailohfornia said:

OMG AGAIN WITH THE RACE THING JESUS! Hahahahahahahaha! 

HONESTLY, get over it! It will never go away. There will always be people offended or looking to be "victims."

HONESTLY, as a brown (non-white, now-black) person, I have come to accept that white-r skin will most likely have an advantage, at least in this Westernized society. This is truth and is undeniable. You just adapt, educate, and assimilate nicely. Move on.

HONESTLY, there are more important things than racism blah blah blah! Get over it. Just accept it and move on. It's been going on for millenia! It's human nature. It's biology. It's just how it is!

NOW LET US APPRECIATE MADONNA STILL BEING MADONNA. WHO THE FUCK CARES IF PEOPLE ARE OFFENDED? SHE HAS OFFENDED SINCE 1983 LOL, IT WILL SIMPLY BLOW OVER ANYWAY. MADONNA IS STILL OUT THERE NOT GIVING A FUCK AND WE ALL SHOULD ALSO NOT GIVE A FUCK LESS AND ENJOY THE RIDE ONCE AGAIN. Thank you. Kisses to all you people yassssssssssssth! 

(Don't @ me cause I won't respond.

2 cents are 2 cents! Love y'all) :kissy::rainbow::fantasy:

Isn't Madonna's mission to make the world a better place? Wouldn't you like younger people to have some equal opportunities? would you say the same about homophobia, sexism, ageism, whatever? I used to have a similar reaction like yours, it was better to just push it away and not think about it, than feel like I was victimizing myself, which is what people try to paint you as (they do it to Madonna too when she speaks up about sexism and ageism), but you're not victimizing yourself, you're speaking the truth, and hopefully it will change things and hopefully other people will have it better than you did eventually. It's a conversation that should be done with respect. You can't speak out about racial issues while being sexist and ageist, and it really causes people to dismiss the conversation (even though they shouldn't). I also think we can't blame one person for all the world's issues, so I wouldn't hate her for making a mistake or doing something misguided. We all do misguided shit in our lives and we all make mistakes but hopefully we're evolving.

(Sorry for @ing you, sis. Love you too)

9 hours ago, Enrico said:

"Fashion critics had a field day. They condemned her for cultural appropriation and mocked her stylistic choices."

Something which has not been said here yet. It is being said (and heard) outside.

21 hours ago, tajybajyboo said:

It’s the same racist misogyny that compels so-called ‘fans’ to call her grills  ugly, and criticise her outfit because they ignorantly think she looks like a ‘gypsy’, as if that were somehow a bad thing, even if it were true.

You like to elaborate right? Why are you conjecturing all that? :cryin:
I think you're taking the "disappointment/negative" thing to the wrong side. And you're indirectly putting words in my mouth that I didn't say: you can't tar everyone with the same brush. ? Because I don't know where's the "racist" part in the fans expressing (here) what we think about her look or what we want. Because like it's been said, it's just a question of look and style!! That's a very subjective point of view and it's a matter of personal tastes!

So if your conclusion after reading those posts of me/some of us is that we're "so-called fans/racists & pearls like that", that's your problem and only a consequence of your own twisted interpretations.

I never tried to judge her, sorry if you interpreted it that way. ? In the end, we're just the same on the same boat: a bunch of patient fans waiting for new music from their idol. serlg4.jpg

tajybajyboo, hope you understood it now ?

:Madonna019:

19 hours ago, RayOfLight said:

What kind of mistakes she made though? She didnt go dressed all in black, crying her eyes out begging for support and help because she cant cope without her favourite person in the world Aretha Franklin? She didnt repeat 100 times how much she misses her and loves her and how big of an inspiration shes been to her and my oh my how can she survive? Madonnas not like that! Shes real. Even with MJ she talked about her experiences with him which were very insightful. She might as well even made up the story she sang Arethas Natural Woman tune at one of her auditions but would you have rather M say she was best friends with Aretha and always wanted to work with her and how much they loved each other, blah,blah?  Madonnas never used someones death to make herself look good or appreciated. The whole thing came across bad because of the MTV set up. 

Well, for starters that outfit was a disaster, she looked like an Olsen twin. Joan Rivers would have had a field day.... The jewelry was a disaster. The grillz have been and continue to be a disaster. The speech was about her, not good. IMO it would have gone down beautifully had she came out, dressed in a gorgeous dress, hair done in a glamorous fashion, and said something like this, "We are here tonight to celebrate artists and the music which they create. As you all know, just a few days ago we lost the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin. Aretha Franklin was a pioneer of civil rights and a pioneer by being a strong and independent woman in the music industry. Without Aretha's strength, perseverance, and immense talent, many of us, including myself, may not be here tonight. So, with much love and much R E S P E C T, we remember the trailblazer, the talent, and the legacy of Aretha Franklin."

APPLAUSE 

I'm not a professional speech writer, obviously, but something along those lines would have gone over very well, but that's just what I think.

@FrankTotally with you on this. Does any other artist have so many fanemies (fan/enemy)? It's all so.... I can't even verbalise it because I'd have to internalise it first.

Surely this can't be good for people's general mental health? I mean, coming here and going through pages makes me want to up the dose on my own meds!