Bedtime stories album cover

Fabiolous

Which one is the cover that you consider THE Bedtime stories album cover, the one where she is upside down or the one where she is up-side up?

I always thought Madonna herself considered the one where she is upside down as the official cover, but she has the other on spotify.

081227973544.sml%5B1%5D.jpg.jpg

27 minutes ago, L-U-V said:

Which one is the cover that you consider THE Bedtime stories album cover, the one where she is upside down or the one where she is up-side up?

I always thought Madonna herself considered the one where she is upside down as the official cover, but she has the other on spotify.

the upside down

45 minutes ago, L-U-V said:

This one. It's the one that is still being used for repressings as well.

I BELIEVE that the right side up was actually a mistake. I heard that when the album was being pressed they thought her face was supposed to be right side up but they were corrected that Madonna's face was supposed to be upside down. The pressings which followed were upside down. I haven't seen any recent pressings, but I think it's odd that they would be printing them right side up since that's not what M intended.

11 minutes ago, *mlvc* said:

I BELIEVE that the right side up was actually a mistake. I heard that when the album was being pressed they thought her face was supposed to be right side up but they were corrected that Madonna's face was supposed to be upside down. The pressings which followed were upside down. I haven't seen any recent pressings, but I think it's odd that they would be printing them right side up since that's not what M intended.

This is correct.  I bought the CD the day it came out & it is right side up.  When the second printings went out a couple months later, it was upside down (so of course I had to buy that one too lol) 

2 hours ago, L-U-V said:

I had this one but I also think that upside down is the right one.

personally I don't like this album's photo shoot. It's just...hmmm for me. it feels like ambiguous to me. Not a classic enough nor trendy enough. it just very middle of somewhere and there's no charisma at all. it looks like very cheap lingerie catalog to me.

I still remember when I saw this photo at first all I thinking was "oh she is loosing her hair so much!"

If i'm right at this moment there's some rumors going around that Madonna gonna shave her hair because she's gonna shoot movie which some kind of female version of terminator. Her role gonna be warrior mother which trying to protect her son from enemy. something like that. lol 

15 hours ago, deathproof said:

It's the original cover. The way it was meant to be seen.

No, it was meant to be upside down. That's the way the photo was taken.

The company that did the first pressings made a mistake and thought it was supposed to be right side up. They were corrected and the pressing which followed had the photo upside down.

1 hour ago, *mlvc* said:

No, it was meant to be upside down. That's the way the photo was taken.

The company that did the first pressings made a mistake and thought it was supposed to be right side up. They were corrected and the pressing which followed had the photo upside down.

No. No one has ever said that. Not Madonna, not even WBR lol.

Look at the font. The pink text is supposed to be on top of turquoise sheet and hair, and the blue text is suppose to be on top of her clothes. Reversing it causes legibility issues. This is how Fabien designed it and intended it to be.

Since we are talking about the Bedtime Stories album cover... I have a question for you! I read that Madonna wanted another photo as the album cover and I found these two pics on the net when doing my research

roversi_500.jpg.dc960036a5f9bfa2a7d5c9d56fe8385b.jpgpaolo-roversi-1-1994-550.jpg.6dbeaf8f4b8bb5ad130ebda8063996a9.jpg

Which one did she choose as the album cover but was later rejected by her label?

22 minutes ago, NowRadiate said:

I think this one. apparently she looked "too old" and not glamorous enough in it.

That session was done by Paolo Roversi. His work is really beautiful. Madonna talks about this image not being used for Bedtime Stories in the Aperture interview from 1999:

"I also had my photograph taken by this other photographer who I adored, but the photographs never got used: Paolo Roversi, he does beautiful work. They were going to be pictures for my album cover – not this record but the record before – but the people at the record company were all too freaked out; they thought the pictures were too blurry, they weren’t going to read well – whatever."

5 hours ago, deathproof said:

No. No one has ever said that. Not Madonna, not even WBR lol.

Look at the font. The pink text is supposed to be on top of turquoise sheet and hair, and the blue text is suppose to be on top of her clothes. Reversing it causes legibility issues. This is how Fabien designed it and intended it to be.

I would have to locate the source, but I know for a fact that I read that many years ago. Why do you think they switched it if it was correct to begin with? Also, that photo was taken like that, so it wouldn’t make sense to flip it. Madonna was being “artsy.”

3 hours ago, *mlvc* said:

I would have to locate the source, but I know for a fact that I read that many years ago. Why do you think they switched it if it was correct to begin with? Also, that photo was taken like that, so it wouldn’t make sense to flip it. Madonna was being “artsy.”

We all know how the photo was shot. We also know how the text and color choices are supposed to be placed too. :thumbsup:

If you want to talk about flipping, and it not making sense..., talk to the "Erotica" album cover, it has a receipt for you.

image.png.6afbef8b42de0382d01fc3b64dd5adbf.png

:smile:

9 hours ago, deathproof said:

We all know how the photo was shot. We also know how the text and color choices are supposed to be placed too. :thumbsup:

If you want to talk about flipping, and it not making sense..., talk to the "Erotica" album cover, it has a receipt for you.

image.png.6afbef8b42de0382d01fc3b64dd5adbf.png

:smile:

https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Bedtime-Stories/release/704624

Please check the notes section of that link.

A quick Google search turns up a lot of discussion about this, for instance from Pop Justice:

"As with most things in her career, Warner fucked it up. When she submitted the artwork for the album, the image was purposefully upside down, that is what she wanted, it's an image of her hanging off the bed. Warner assumed it was a mistake and flipped the image the right way up, M had a bitchfit and got it changed. So technically, any copy with the image the right way up is a misprint."

This isn't a p*ssing contest, but I don't think you're correct.