Bedtime stories album cover

Fabiolous

2 hours ago, *mlvc* said:

https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Bedtime-Stories/release/704624

Please check the notes section of that link.

A quick Google search turns up a lot of discussion about this, for instance from Pop Justice:

"As with most things in her career, Warner fucked it up. When she submitted the artwork for the album, the image was purposefully upside down, that is what she wanted, it's an image of her hanging off the bed. Warner assumed it was a mistake and flipped the image the right way up, M had a bitchfit and got it changed. So technically, any copy with the image the right way up is a misprint."

This isn't a p*ssing contest, but I don't think you're correct.

That's still not a direct accurate source. You do realize this fan theory is made up, right? There's nothing to back it up that the initial pressing was incorrect. If anything, the 2nd pressing is the one that's the misprint, as shown and discussed with the legibility issues with the font colors. You can look at all the print and tv advertisements, they all used the original first pressing image. Even in the ads that were put out in 1995.

correct.thumb.jpg.129cff7982d035ffcb555e3b1a7f58ee.jpg

I'm just trying to say is that this was a fan rumor. Even in your initial post, "I BELIEVE that the right side up...," you stated an opinion and not a fact.

5 minutes ago, deathproof said:

That's still not a direct accurate source. You do realize this fan theory is made up, right? There's nothing to back it up that the initial pressing was incorrect. If anything, the 2nd pressing is the one that's the misprint, as shown and discussed with the legibility issues with the font colors. You can look at all the print and tv advertisements, they all used the original first pressing image. Even in the ads that were put out in 1995.

correct.thumb.jpg.129cff7982d035ffcb555e3b1a7f58ee.jpg

I'm just trying to say is that this was a fan rumor. Even in your initial post, "I BELIEVE that the right side up...," you stated an opinion and not a fact.

You haven't provided facts, either. Photographs used in the initial press releases, etc. does not disprove that Warner made a mistake. If anything the fact that later pressings used the "upside down" version supports this. Also, considering that the font colors were messed up from the beginning further supports misprinting of the release.

In any event, I don't think we will ever know for sure, but something definitely happened.

1 hour ago, *mlvc* said:

You haven't provided facts, either. Photographs used in the initial press releases, etc. does not disprove that Warner made a mistake. If anything the fact that later pressings used the "upside down" version supports this. Also, considering that the font colors were messed up from the beginning further supports misprinting of the release.

In any event, I don't think we will ever know for sure, but something definitely happened.

But if you claim they fixed it in the 1995 pressing, then why did they continue to use the original cover in all 1995 adverts and single release pressings? Mind you, they never adjusted any subsequent vinyl or cassette pressings. It doesn't make any sense for a respected professional like Fabien Baron to submit a cover where both the cover image and font colors were incorrect lol. Those font color choices were purposely used for legibility. That so called "revised" version has it in correct. The album title was always suppose to stand out first rather than her name.

Again, no facts.

7 minutes ago, deathproof said:

But if you claim they fixed it in the 1995 pressing, then why did they continue to use the original cover in all 1995 adverts and single release pressings? Mind you, they never adjusted any subsequent vinyl or cassette pressings. It doesn't make any sense for a respected professional like Fabien Baron to submit a cover where both the cover image and font colors were incorrect lol. Those font color choices were purposely used for legibility. That so called "revised" version has it in correct. The album title was always suppose to stand out first rather than her name.

Again, no facts.

I'm not stating anything as fact, I'm only stating what I have heard, what I have been told, and what I have personally seen. By the way, Fabien Baron directed the shoot, I don't know that he selected the album cover, I think Madonna would have done that personally and someone else entirely would have taken it for print sometime after.

The first pressings along with all of the other advertisements may very well be incorrect or it could be the exact opposite. However, this we do know: finding a copy of BS with the photo being right-side up is harder than finding one that is upside-down. They are far from rare, but a quick eBay search will give you about 10 (upside-down) to 1 (right-side up) - there are definitely fewer.

Also, the right-side up version just looks off. The photo was taken with M lying on her back, with the camera photographing her upside-down which, TO ME, makes the right-side up version look very strange.

Again, some links that I didn't have any hand in writing:

https://www.1stopmadonnashop.com/bedtime-stories---upside-down-usa-cd-album-5636-p.asp

http://madonnaunderground.com/madonna-live/album-promo/bedtime-stories-promo-tour/

At the end of the day, the popular consensus is that the right-side up (first pressing) is incorrect. I suppose we would only know the facts if someone asked Madonna. Until that happens I suppose we will just have to have different opinions because using released artwork which may or may not be correct is not presenting facts because there is already the question of whether or not it was wrong to begin with. Having said that, how do you explain the change in the printing of the album cover?

I have to agree with you, mlvc.  I do seem to remember seeing this addressed at some point, but I'm at work right now and don't have access to the collection to see what article may have mentioned it.  Either way, it seems evident that the upside-down cover would be the correct version.  I know that the adverts, etc. from the time show the cover "right" side up, but if that was the way it was intended to be, why in the world would it get messed up for the second edition and beyond?  It's not like the entire cover was flipped upside-down, whoever did it obviously had to change the lettering around to fit with the upside-down image.  And at this point, it's been pressed and re-pressed.  If it was a mistake, I'm sure someone in her team would have fixed it at this point 20+ years later.

On 9/11/2018 at 4:17 PM, Bitch I'm Madonna said:

The problem with the upside down one is the fact, that they forgot to switch the color of the text.

Dz08MRU.png

VbS0KHQ.png

I have recreated the original two covers as well as an upside down version with color corrected text. The album title doesn’t disappear as much in this one as it does in the one above but it’s still kinda hard to see.

PlcMema.png

I personally don’t like how they zoomed in on her. Was that really necessary?

I use this cover instead because it stays true to the original photograph and avoids the text issue altogether:

8z9I4wq.png

Great job. I love your cover!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, pourhomme80 said:

ok so we theres no consensus in this group nor is there a real receipt that explains if either were a mistake.

That said, NEW pressings and I believe the FIRST vinyl (for sale) pressings - released in 2016 are the right side up cover.

https://www.rhino.com/product/bedtime-stories-180-gram-vinyl

And all the promotional advertisements from 1994 and 1995 used the right side up cover, which is the original and correct cover.

8 hours ago, deathproof said:

And all the promotional advertisements from 1994 and 1995 used the right side up cover, which is the original and correct cover.

For the international audience. In the US, this was the original, correct way. Flipping it is akin to mirroring her face. It's not correct. 

This is the original. This is how she wanted it.

Related image

On 11/24/2018 at 10:33 PM, drivebitch said:

For the international audience. In the US, this was the original, correct way. Flipping it is akin to mirroring her face. It's not correct. 

This is the original. This is how she wanted it.

Related image

But it wasn't. All promotional materials from 1994 AND 1995 used the original/correct/1st pressing cover. There's no source or record of Madonna ever saying that she wanted the image the other way. And that's a fact. It doesn't make ANY sense for the "Bedtime Stories" text to be in a blue font on top of a blue bed spread. The legibility gets lost. That's why in the original/correct cover, the Pink "Madonna" text is on top of the blue bed spread. A professional designer would never miss-use text color placement by putting text in the similar color as it's background. Saying otherwise is an insult to Fabien Baron, who is an industry legend and professional. 

The idea that Madonna asked for the cover to be switched the other way a year later is a myth. Fans have been saying this for years, but again, there's nothing to back this up.

• 10 months later...
On 11/26/2018 at 1:08 PM, deathproof said:

But it wasn't. All promotional materials from 1994 AND 1995 used the original/correct/1st pressing cover. There's no source or record of Madonna ever saying that she wanted the image the other way. And that's a fact. It doesn't make ANY sense for the "Bedtime Stories" text to be in a blue font on top of a blue bed spread. The legibility gets lost. That's why in the original/correct cover, the Pink "Madonna" text is on top of the blue bed spread. A professional designer would never miss-use text color placement by putting text in the similar color as it's background. Saying otherwise is an insult to Fabien Baron, who is an industry legend and professional. 

The idea that Madonna asked for the cover to be switched the other way a year later is a myth. Fans have been saying this for years, but again, there's nothing to back this up.

I was just having this debate with someone on Twitter and stumbled onto this forum/thread while searching for more information. I created this account in order to add my thoughts, which are in agreement with what @deathproof has been positing. 

Like many of you, I purchased the CD the day it was released in NYC and vividly recall many of the advertisements and promotional materials reposted here (as well as others) which show Madonna right-side up (chin at the bottom). In those carefree days I would wander into record stores to check out the Madonna section for fun. This was the cover that I undoubtedly consider to be the original design and it wasn't until much later (at least a year I'd guess, but perhaps even longer) that I started noticing upside-down printings popping up.

It's important to keep in mind what @deathproof reminds us regarding Fabien Baron's status as an art director. The album cover is the central piece of key art in a record campaign, and Madonna was the biggest star on the planet in the 90s. An image this important gets put in front of SO many eyes before going to print - designers, the art director, photographer, record company, publicists, the star. Printing proof sheets, which get signed off on by handfuls of these people, are big collectibles online. 

That is why I'm adamant that to say "Oh, they just made a mistake" (which conjures the idea of some intern at the printing press rotating the image to appear right-side up) is a cop-out. Even though it's not the way the photograph was shot, this is how the album cover was designed by Baron. And I think he made a brilliant choice - it's inviting and dreamy and draws you into her eyes, whereas the upside-down is much more alienating in my opinion.

So the question remains - why did they change it for certain pressings? That I cannot say - only speculate. Was there an agreement with Patrick Demarchelier that both would be produced? Did someone important later have a change of heart? Knowing Warner, perhaps they wanted a variant because they know we'll buy everything we can, including the same album multiple times LOL. What would be really cool is if someone could get a statement, on the record, from whoever was involved with the re-design. ✌?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by ditasgarden (see edit history)

Yeah, I specifically recall back in the day, that there was a Mtv News Report where they addressed the first pressings were a mistake and Madonna intended for herself to appear upside down on the cover, which in reality she wasn't. It's just how she was shot on the bed.

I bought the album when it was first release, and I have it where she appears right side up.  It was soon after that I recall hearing it wasn't what she intended. 

5 hours ago, ditasgarden said:

I was just having this debate with someone on Twitter and stumbled onto this forum/thread while searching for more information. I created this account in order to add my thoughts, which are in agreement with what @deathproof has been positing. 

Like many of you, I purchased the CD the day it was released in NYC and vividly recall many of the advertisements and promotional materials reposted here (as well as others) which show Madonna right-side up (chin at the bottom). In those carefree days I would wander into record stores to check out the Madonna section for fun. This was the cover that I undoubtedly consider to be the original design and it wasn't until much later (at least a year I'd guess, but perhaps even longer) that I started noticing upside-down printings popping up.

It's important to keep in mind what @deathproof reminds us regarding Fabien Baron's status as an art director. The album cover is the central piece of key art in a record campaign, and Madonna was the biggest star on the planet in the 90s. An image this important gets put in front of SO many eyes before going to print - designers, the art director, photographer, record company, publicists, the star. Printing proof sheets, which get signed off on by handfuls of these people, are big collectibles online. 

That is why I'm adamant that to say "Oh, they just made a mistake" (which conjures the idea of some intern at the printing press rotating the image to appear right-side up) is a cop-out. Even though it's not the way the photograph was shot, this is how the album cover was designed by Baron. And I think he made a brilliant choice - it's inviting and dreamy and draws you into her eyes, whereas the upside-down is more more alienating in my opinion.

So the question remains - why did they change it for certain pressings? That I cannot say - only speculate. Was there an agreement with Patrick Demarchelier that both would be produced? Did someone important later have a change of heart? Knowing Warner, perhaps they wanted a variant because they know we'll buy everything we can, including the same album multiple times LOL. What would be really cool is if someone could get a statement, on the record, from whoever was involved with the re-design. ✌?

s-l1600.jpg

Dita’sgarden, You should post more often! Welcome to the forum!

On 12/3/2018 at 5:07 AM, L-U-V said:

But all official material published since uses the American version, including Madonna.com when it had a discography section. So I think this is the official cover NOW

Image result for madonna the complete album

2015_Rebel_Heart_Tour_VIP_Limited_Edition_Book_page_43.jpg

1) Bedtime Stories never had a white border

2) The first album is missing the black trim at the top

i wouldn’t refer to that as “official,” id call that a lazy effort. An unprofessional effort

plus the vinyl reissues used the original pressing cover.