Madonna on Instagram / Facebook / Twitter + other Social Media

groovyguy

14 minutes ago, Prayer said:

That's exactly the same opinion as Piers Morgan...

Make of that whatever you will.

My opinion is, "botched" or not, it still doesn't give anyone the right to judge. The term "botched" is already judgmental in itself.

Maybe it's all karma for talking shit about fat people with acne, I dunno. Surely Piers Morgan would have the exact same opinion as M on the topic. :eyes:

23 hours ago, Prayer said:

That's exactly the same opinion as Piers Morgan...

Make of that whatever you will.

It's no surpise to me that Pier's took this opportunity to justify his bitterness towards her, by doing this segment.  It's quite ironic as well that two men sat there and admitted she's  suffering from misogynous behavior.  The fact Pier stated that at her age she shouldn't be doing what she's doing IS "misogyny" and "ageism"  if not sexism on his part.  The point is well stated by  one of the panelist bringing up Mick Jagger and how he behaves, but he hardly gets the same sort of awful commets or media attention that Madonna seems to always gets, which only prove that it's due to her being a woman.  Another point is Sam Smith, his performance and how he dressed and acted at the grammys (and in his music videos) is quite provocative, but I don't see Piers nor the media offering the same sort of criticism they keep giving Madonna. 

well, I think that The ridicule and the merciless criticism will always exist. It is human nature to make fun of others: many people make fun of the poor, the fat, the unattractive woman or man, the old person, the color of the skin, etc. And in many of these cases I don't think it has anything to do with insecurities or resentment because many people with money make fun of the poor and their customs and tell me how I can identify envy or insecurity in those who make fun of it. Wishing for a world similar to Disneyworld where there is no evil is a bit of an exaggeration on the part of certain groups. The best thing they can do is disconnect from social media and be realistic and take proper precautions so as not to be affected.

Who in their right mind walks alone at night on a dangerous street and later regrets having been robbed by thieves. We must be a little consistent in our actions and not pretend that we live in a perfect world because later we will end up regretting it.

3 hours ago, androiduser said:

Has it occurred to Madonna fans that they are under the impression that she is under more attack than the other celebrities because they simply read everything that is said about her?

A good question that can put the situation in a perspective or a larger context, but I do not still think this is a perception thing. It is very obvious that she has been attacked more than others by many because it is more 'okay' to ridicule a woman like herself who is rejecting socially defined roles and expectations. also she would not go around and use 'mental health' discourse to shut people down.

I do not see people attacking Beyonce for giving a concert to 1000 people in a country that punishes homosexuality and lacks basic human rights  literally 48 hours before [fake] thanking to queer people in her acceptance speech. She was  not on the cover of Ny times right away. Or people are not criticizing her for her cleavage! Similarly, people are not talking about how much filter young stars are using. Arianna's filter use is almost more than Rupaul haha.

Media and people used to make fun of celebs when they gain weight. Luckily, it is not okay anymore thanks to fat activism and artists speaking out against. Yet, social values or 'wokeness' is not that level yet to problematize ridiculing a woman like madonna. 

Edited by mazzona (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Actually I saw a lot of people attacking her for that

and can somebody please explain the difference between Madonna performing there and Beyonce performing?? Because Beyonce's was a private event concert, and Madonna's was.. what... a statement against misogyny and patriarchy?

16 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Actually I saw a lot of people attacking her for that

Mine was more like a figure of speech. of course there are people talking about it, but do not think she made the headlines across the newspapers or media channels in a manner that works to diminish one's personhood.

27 minutes ago, androiduser said:

and can somebody please explain the difference between Madonna performing there and Beyonce performing?? Because Beyonce's was a private event concert, and Madonna's was.. what... a statement against misogyny and patriarchy?

First, no one said it was ok when Madonna does it. 

Second, yes they are different. One is literally a private concert and the other is a part of a world tour. When it comes to differences between the contents of the shows, well i have no intention to tire my fingers about it. Also, one at least did not show up in an award ceremony next day to thanks queer community lol

Problem is selectiveness when it comes to make a deal out of it. 

Edited by mazzona (see edit history)

21 hours ago, Edward I Longshanks said:

I actually agree with some of the things you say but stop acting like you are a teacher educating the rest of use with your longwinded posts, your opinion is just an opinion like everyone else has an opinion. Just because you live in France and got educated by a feminist does not make you special.

Maybe not, but it makes him at least informed and educated.  And just because a post is LONG doesn't make it LONG WINDED, which is a problem that I've run into myself before.  Hear me out...

Most of the issues we're facing right now, be it in this community or in the wider world (ageism, misogyny, racism, trans/homophobia, abortion rights, etc) are complex issues that require detailed and nuanced discussion.  But it's like nobody has the attention span anymore.  People flip shit or pull the TL;DR card for anything longer than a Twitter post, which solves nothing.  TikTok, Twitter, most social media in general give you enough space to scream an opinion with zero context and zero way of backing that statement up, so then the opposing view screams back, and then it's just an Us vs Them situation.  

Is it really that hard to read a post that's shorter than an average newspaper article?  Is our collective attention span so atrophied that we aren't capable of reading something that contains more than 280 letters?  Or is it that we're no longer able to handle something longer than a paragraph unless it has visuals to accompany it?  Real change will continue to remain elusive until and unless we can get past the jump cuts and the tweets and actually educate ourselves and do the work, and it's gonna take longer than 30 seconds or two sentences.

7 hours ago, androiduser said:

It is different in that it was a private event so she was there entirely for a money grab, not her fans. She did not perform any of the lgbt inspired music from her new album.

When Madonna performed there it was a public event and the show included things like the Nobody Knows Me interlude advocating lgbt rights. It was also 11 years ago, a lot has changed in terms of how people view these kinds of choices by artists. Lots of artists in more recent years have been pressured to cancel their shows and not perform there. Beyoncé has only started banging on about supporting the queer community in this era as far as I’m aware. So to many people it does not seem genuine, more of a career move.

1 hour ago, momosfantasy said:

Is it really that hard to read a post that's shorter than an average newspaper article?  Is our collective attention span so atrophied that we aren't capable of reading something that contains more than 280 letters? 

A post on a forum is hardly the same as a newspaper article. People that write long essays about Madonna on forums are in most cases just rambling.

Maybe not, but it makes him at least informed and educated.  And just because a post is LONG doesn't make it LONG WINDED, which is a problem that I've run into myself before.  Hear me out...

Most of the issues we're facing right now, be it in this community or in the wider world (ageism, misogyny, racism, trans/homophobia, abortion rights, etc) are complex issues that require detailed and nuanced discussion.  But it's like nobody has the attention span anymore.  People flip shit or pull the TL;DR card for anything longer than a Twitter post, which solves nothing.  TikTok, Twitter, most social media in general give you enough space to scream an opinion with zero context and zero way of backing that statement up, so then the opposing view screams back, and then it's just an Us vs Them situation.  

Is it really that hard to read a post that's shorter than an average newspaper article?  Is our collective attention span so atrophied that we aren't capable of reading something that contains more than 280 letters?  Or is it that we're no longer able to handle something longer than a paragraph unless it has visuals to accompany it?  Real change will continue to remain elusive until and unless we can get past the jump cuts and the tweets and actually educate ourselves and do the work, and it's gonna take longer than 30 seconds or two sentences.

If real change occurs in the world regarding racism, homophobia, sexism or ageism, it wont be because I choose to dismiss or listen to a random post on a site dedicated to a musical artist. In regards to your words on screaming opinions on social media, you are not telling me anything I have not known forever, there is a reason I don't use the cancerous stuff anymore. If I wanted to have a meaningful discussion about these topics, this is the last place I would choose. Forums are full of pretentious, pseudo intellectuals masking themselves as experts on issues like racism, ageism and homophobia when in reality they are simply coughing up the same dumb talking points as mainstream politicians and media.

55 minutes ago, rgdlee said:

Not sure if anybody has shared or mentioned, but here is Time’s take on Madonna at the Grammys:

Madonna's Face and the Myth of Aging Gracefully

https://time.com/6253977/madonna-face-grammys-2023/

Cringe article. But they make a few interesting points.

”Nobody is heaping praise on more or less normal-looking women such as Madonna’s friend 60-year old friend Rosie O’Donnell for aging gracefully.”

AND

”…people’s reactions to the way older women look are a good gauge of the way people feel about women, older women, that older woman in particular, with some anxiety about their own age and mortality mixed in.”

It is very true to say peoples reaction to Madonna this week is centred a lot around how they feel about Madonna in general. Perhaps the fact she refuses to do what everybody wants her to makes them feel uncomfortable because that is how most people live their lives? By doing what society expects of them?

19 hours ago, FallingInLove said:

Yes, but then again, most older men don't take pictures of themselves in their underwear, posing in the bathroom, lying on the bed, trying to portrait themselves as young and sexy as possible. I'm not against it! If someone wants to do that... but don't be disapointed if people don't react the way you want them too. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Simple as that. 

A question I’m asking myself: Is Madonna really trying to portray herself as young? I don’t know about that. I think it’s an assumption to think that what she is showing is a botched simulation of youth. Perhaps it’s just being a woman of 64 evoking personal sexual expression with a lot of artifice that others interpret as attempts at youth. For her, becoming “Madonna” is a form of drag in my eyes. It’s all subjective beyond that. It’s all about the individual response to it.  

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

A post on a forum is hardly the same as a newspaper article. People that write long essays about Madonna on forums are in most cases just rambling.

Sure, some are.  And some are pretty well written and informative.  Your mileage may vary, but there are plenty of people that won't bother to find out either way.  Not to mention, a forum for a favorite artist would seem to lend itself to, you know, essays about that artist.

2 hours ago, Edward I Longshanks said:

If real change occurs in the world regarding racism, homophobia, sexism or ageism, it wont be because I choose to dismiss or listen to a random post on a site dedicated to a musical artist. In regards to your words on screaming opinions on social media, you are not telling me anything I have not known forever, there is a reason I don't use the cancerous stuff anymore. If I wanted to have a meaningful discussion about these topics, this is the last place I would choose. Forums are full of pretentious, pseudo intellectuals masking themselves as experts on issues like racism, ageism and homophobia when in reality they are simply coughing up the same dumb talking points as mainstream politicians and media.

You're right, you're not going to make real change on your own in a forum.  Neither am I.  At least, not immediately.  But real change occurs over time, with actions by individuals, taking the steps every single day , whether it be in "a random post on a site dedicated to a musical artist" or anywhere else.  It's a cumulative effort on everybody's part, but you have to be willing to put the effort in, whether it's here or anywhere else.

It has to start somewhere, so why not on a forum where ageism and misogyny are right here on the screen?  Hell, I used to have to at least leave the house to see or hear people being judgemental about the ages and looks of others.  And quite frankly, the way your post reads, it doesn't seem like you're terribly invested in the idea of change anyways.

Because it's pretty telling when you call people "pretentious, pseudo intellectuals" for wanting to have discussions about ageism, racism, etc. and suggesting that the only reason people might want to have those discussions is because we're just parroting the media and their "dumb talking points"--which means...what exactly?

1 hour ago, Alibaba said:

A question I’m asking myself: Is Madonna really trying to portray herself as young?

I agree... at least her hair and make-up when attention events like the Grammys suggest something different... she is clearly not trying to make herself look young and pretty in the the eyes of the masses...

You're right, you're not going to make real change on your own in a forum.  Neither am I.  At least, not immediately.  But real change occurs over time, with actions by individuals, taking the steps every single day , whether it be in "a random post on a site dedicated to a musical artist" or anywhere else.  It's a cumulative effort on everybody's part, but you have to be willing to put the effort in, whether it's here or anywhere else.

It has to start somewhere, so why not on a forum where ageism and misogyny are right here on the screen?  Hell, I used to have to at least leave the house to see or hear people being judgemental about the ages and looks of others.  And quite frankly, the way your post reads, it doesn't seem like you're terribly invested in the idea of change anyways.

Because it's pretty telling when you call people "pretentious, pseudo intellectuals" for wanting to have discussions about ageism, racism, etc. and suggesting that the only reason people might want to have those discussions is because we're just parroting the media and their "dumb talking points"--which means...what exactly?

Go join activism forum or a start a thread yourself on this site if you feel so strongly about the issue. I like Madonna 's music, I would prefer if we stopped bringing so much negativity into this place, people get enough of that on social media. My comment about pseudo intellectuals was not aimed specifically at you. Parroting the media and politicians means a slew of word salad that changes nothing. I have been a fan since the start of her career, I have heard all of it and more, its just noise at this point. Me not wanting to talk about the same topic over and over again does mean I would not love to see positive change. Not all of us are out on political crusades, some of us just like Madonna and her music believe it or not.