Could a Madonna movie be huge as Bohemian Rhapsody?

Régine Filange

I guess everyone have heard about the new Queen biographical film. Do you think a similar movie about Madonna's career could be that successful (or at least successful)? Considering the movie will be well produced ofc, as the Queen one, with good actors etc.

PS: What happened with the Madonna and the Breakfast Club movie? Will it be released on cinemas?

:07:

3 hours ago, Régine Filange said:

I guess everyone have heard about the new Queen biographical film. Do you think a similar movie about Madonna's career could be that successful (or at least successful)? Considering the movie will be well produced ofc, as the Queen one, with good actors etc.

PS: What happened with the Madonna and the Breakfast Club movie? Will it be released on cinemas?

:07:

When shes dead yes but hopefully not for many many years 

I think it'd benefit Madonna the best if she made the biopic herself. She'd have full control over everything told in the story versus an outside source who doesn't have knowledge of what went down when. But I highly doubt Madonna would want to delve back into her past and dig up those older memories to write into a movie. Maybe she'll become nostalgic about it someday. God forbid we have to wait until she dies to get a proper biopic.

I honestly have a hard time seeing any actress being able to fill her shoes. Forget the story, they would need someone with charisma out the wazoo and confidence to match. Who would people see playing her if it were to happen in the near future.

I find there are women who look like her when she was young, and women who can somewhat embody her spirit, but not both.

At the end of 2016 Elyse Hollander’s Madonna biopic Blond Ambition was the top script on The Black List, the annual list of the most-liked screenplays in Hollywood that have not been produced. The script, from the WME- and Bellvue Productions-repped Hollander, is set in 1980s New York, where Madonna struggles to get her first album released while navigating fame, romance and a music industry that views women as disposable. The script received 48 votes to top the list.

Madonna, however, was furious.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

'The singer has posted several Instagram messages denouncing the project. In the first, posted just hours after The Hollywood Reporter broke the news of the project on Tuesday, she writes, "Nobody knows what I know and what I have seen. Only I can tell my story. Anyone else who tries is a charlatan and a fool."

On Wednesday, a copy of the script now in hand, her criticism grew more pointed and personal. "Why would Universal Studios want to make a movie about me based on a script that is all lies???" she writes. "The writer Elyse Hollander should write for the tabloids."

As an example of the script's inaccuracies, Madonna singled out a line of dialogue on the first page, in which Madonna tells Dick Clark in an interview on American Bandstand, "I was born in Detroit. I'm a famed high school dropout."

"I was born in Bay City, not Detroit. And I did not drop out of high school. In fact, I went to University of Michigan," Madonna counters. But Hollander took that exchange directly from the actual American Bandstand broadcast, as evidenced by this YouTube video. (Perhaps that is why Madonna later deleted the second Instagram post.)

Figuring heavily into Blond Ambition's plot are such early Madonna hits as "Burning Up," "Everybody," "Borderline," "Lucky Star" and "Holiday" — all of them hit singles off her self-titled debut album from 1983. For Universal to include these songs, they would need to secure a sync license for the master recording (if they use the originals) and the music publishing rights.  Even if Madonna holds none of these rights herself, one prominent music lawyer estimates that "given her stature in the industry, she probably has an approval right" over the songs and could prevent them from use in Blond Ambition. The resulting film — a Madonna biopic without any Madonna music in it — greatly runs the risk of coming off like a big-budget Lifetime movie in the vein of Britney Ever After.'

So if Madonna doesn't like it, it won't happen. I guess we will have to wait for a long time. But when it does happen, I think it will be very successful.

1 hour ago, Fontainebleau said:

At the end of 2016 Elyse Hollander’s Madonna biopic Blond Ambition was the top script on The Black List, the annual list of the most-liked screenplays in Hollywood that have not been produced. The script, from the WME- and Bellvue Productions-repped Hollander, is set in 1980s New York, where Madonna struggles to get her first album released while navigating fame, romance and a music industry that views women as disposable. The script received 48 votes to top the list.

Madonna, however, was furious.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

'The singer has posted several Instagram messages denouncing the project. In the first, posted just hours after The Hollywood Reporter broke the news of the project on Tuesday, she writes, "Nobody knows what I know and what I have seen. Only I can tell my story. Anyone else who tries is a charlatan and a fool."

On Wednesday, a copy of the script now in hand, her criticism grew more pointed and personal. "Why would Universal Studios want to make a movie about me based on a script that is all lies???" she writes. "The writer Elyse Hollander should write for the tabloids."

As an example of the script's inaccuracies, Madonna singled out a line of dialogue on the first page, in which Madonna tells Dick Clark in an interview on American Bandstand, "I was born in Detroit. I'm a famed high school dropout."

"I was born in Bay City, not Detroit. And I did not drop out of high school. In fact, I went to University of Michigan," Madonna counters. But Hollander took that exchange directly from the actual American Bandstand broadcast, as evidenced by this YouTube video. (Perhaps that is why Madonna later deleted the second Instagram post.)

Figuring heavily into Blond Ambition's plot are such early Madonna hits as "Burning Up," "Everybody," "Borderline," "Lucky Star" and "Holiday" — all of them hit singles off her self-titled debut album from 1983. For Universal to include these songs, they would need to secure a sync license for the master recording (if they use the originals) and the music publishing rights.  Even if Madonna holds none of these rights herself, one prominent music lawyer estimates that "given her stature in the industry, she probably has an approval right" over the songs and could prevent them from use in Blond Ambition. The resulting film — a Madonna biopic without any Madonna music in it — greatly runs the risk of coming off like a big-budget Lifetime movie in the vein of Britney Ever After.'

So if Madonna doesn't like it, it won't happen. I guess we will have to wait for a long time. But when it does happen, I think it will be very successful.

I read that script cover to cover in one day. It was a complete disaster.

5 minutes ago, Fontainebleau said:

Was it? That's quite a shame. Usually these Black List scripts are rather excellent. But I'll take your word for it!

Nope. Awful. For instance, they described the moment she chose Lisa Stevens and Curtis Hudson to write Holiday, she was in the swimming pool, eating cheetos (sound familiar?) and the entire dialogue was based in one of her interviews back then.

And the final scene, on which she dumps Jellybean backstage the 1984 VMA - totally made up from beginning to end - depicts her telling him she had to choose between a family or her career, so not only was she dumping him, she was also announcing she had had an abortion that very same day.

I was such a state of shock I wanted to sue the writer myself.

I think if Erika Bell, Chris Ciccone, Maripol, Stephen, Gilroy Brothers, Jellybean, Debi Mazar, ect where behind the telling of the Madonna movie then I'd be all game for it. Madonna likes to twist/turn certain events in her history and I want the real real not what she is worried about being seen in a certain way. Her antics when she first started out is legendary, from Michael Musto claiming she stole another bands jacket, walking around music business parties in pajamas asking people if they knew who she was because she's going to be huge star, and local radio DJ here said that he went backstage to meet her for the Virgin tour and she was screaming about a missing hairbrush and wouldn't go on until it was found. That's what I want to see, the real human Madonna, who looked at the cute Puerto Rican guy across the street and wrote Into The Groove or sitting first class on an airplane and writes Vogue. Show me that not some Kabbalah lovefest movie

I'd rather she didn't make it herself as it would be self serving. I don't think a biopic is something we'll see for a long time. At least, not a good one. Maybe a long time from now Lola might be involved in doing something in some capacity. That's the only way I can see it happening, through one of her children, but a very long time from now. 

3 hours ago, AspergerArtist said:

Maybe a long time from now Lola might be involved in doing something in some capacity. That's the only way I can see it happening, through one of her children, but a very long time from now. 

Fortunately Madonna's relationship with her children is quite good (as far as we know), so at least we won't get a Mommie Dearest... "No wire hangers!!!" :cute:

9 hours ago, poserdemadonna said:

That would be a little like liking your own posts on facebook, wouldn't it?

FYI....
Facebook changes it's rules almost hourly it seems
I have read at least one article Not on there that explained how doing so is NOT quite as 'naff' or as un-cool as it's been painted.
The last I checked it was to do with the 'do you want to see first' button thingies that come up on there.
By liking your Own Posts it meant that your 'Friends' got to see everything you posted.
Some only get 'highlights of' and people not seeing stuff.
For the Attention Daft, this sorta thing matters !
The main thing to avoid on there is reminders on Messenger as that's wide open for bugs to enter AND they know about it do do feck all.

ps
A Madonna Movie ?
Not while she's still aiming for The Charts.
How many women have managed to do justice to Marilyn Monroe ?
I can think of about 2 or 3.
A NO MUSIC film about her could be amazing but I doubt it would ever get made.
'Like A Script'....................any one ?

13 hours ago, Fontainebleau said:

Fortunately Madonna's relationship with her children is quite good (as far as we know), so at least we won't get a Mommie Dearest... "No wire hangers!!!" :cute:

I think she won't be appreciated as much as she deserves in her lifetime, sadly. But she hasn't taken an easy road either. I wonder if social media existed in Diana's lifetime if the public would have been so fickle with her too, but at least Diana's charity work, role as a mother and humanitarian causes weren't overlooked while she was alive. Still though, her private life was scrutinised and gossiped about relentlessly. I think a film showing how Madonna balances/balanced the scrutiny of her fame with her work and family could really only be lovingly done by her children. It could really only come from them. But it's kind of morose to think about now. Miles to go until that happens. 

2 hours ago, AspergerArtist said:

I think she won't be appreciated as much as she deserves in her lifetime, sadly. But she hasn't taken an easy road either. I wonder if social media existed in Diana's lifetime if the public would have been so fickle with her too, but at least Diana's charity work, role as a mother and humanitarian causes weren't overlooked while she was alive. Still though, her private life was scrutinised and gossiped about relentlessly. I think a film showing how Madonna balances/balanced the scrutiny of her fame with her work and family could really only be lovingly done by her children. It could really only come from them. But it's kind of morose to think about now. Miles to go until that happens. 

You are totally right!

7 hours ago, Eyzonme said:

I have not met a single person who thought that tbh. And what an ending on an iconic performance. 

Really? You should read the reviews. It didn't help that it was directed by a pervert known for X-Men movies. It wasn't a dramatic telling and lacked any kind of nuance. It just wasn't a very good movie, except for Remi.