Madonna on the Billboard Hot 100

groovyguy

• 7 months later...

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8070805/taylor-swift-end-game-top-40-hot-100-chart-moves

Artists With the Most Top 40 Hot 100 Hits

80, Elvis Presley
71, Lil Wayne
67, Drake
57, Elton John
55, Taylor Swift *new total*
51, Glee Cast
50, The Beatles
49, Madonna
49, Rihanna
47, JAY-Z

https://www.billboard.com/articles/events/greatest-of-all-time/8053982/madonna-barbra-streisand-leann-rimes-adele-greatest-of-all-time-charts-hot-100-billboard-200

Greatest of All-Time Charts: Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Adele & LeAnn Rimes Are Hot 100 & Billboard 200's Leading Ladies

11/30/2017 by Gary Trust

BILLBOARD HOT 100

Greatest of All-Time Hot 100 Women Artists / Greatest of All-Time Hot 100 Songs by Women

Madonna (Billboard's 2016 woman of the year) reigns as the all-time top-performing female artist since the Hot 100 launched in the issue dated Aug. 4, 1958. She boasts a record (among all acts) 38 top 10s, including 12 No. 1s.
Mariah Carey is the No. 2 all-time female Hot 100 artist, powered by her 18 No. 1s, the most of any soloist (as well has her 79 cumulative weeks at the summit, a record among all acts). Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston and Rihanna – the lattermost of whom has earned the second-most No. 1s among solo artists, 14, despite not notching her first until 2005 – round out the top five.

LeAnn Rimes' smash "How Do I Live" is the all-time No. 1 Hot 100 hit by a female. Despite peaking at No. 2 on Dec. 13, 1997, the ballad – penned by a superstar female writer: Diane Warren – charted for 69 weeks, the most for a title by a woman. It also spent 27 weeks in the top five, a record matched only by The Chainsmokers' "Closer" (featuring Halsey) this March.
The Nos. 2 through 5 all-time top Hot 100 hits by women, respectively, are Olivia Newton-John's 10-week 1981-82 No. 1 "Physical"; Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life" (the first song, in 1977, to top the Hot 100 for 10 weeks); Carey's 14-week 2005 leader "We Belong Together"; and Toni Braxton's 1996-97 No. 1 "Un-Break My Heart."

BILLBOARD 200

Greatest of All-Time Billboard 200 Women Artists / Greatest of All-Time Billboard 200 Albums by Women

Barbra Streisand is the all-time queen of the Billboard 200 (since Aug. 17, 1963, when separate stereo and mono listings were combined into one weekly survey). She has logged 34 top 10 albums, the most among soloists, including 11 No. 1s, the most among women.
Taylor Swift is the No. 2 Billboard 200 female artist. Billboard's woman of the year for 2011 and 2014 arrived on the chart in 2006 and has posted twin 11-week leaders (2008's Fearless and 2014's 1989) among her dominant discography, which includes her newest and fifth topper, Reputation. Rounding out the top five, Swift is followed by, in order, Carey, Houston (the woman with the most total weeks atop the Billboard 200: 46) and Madonna.

Adele (the No. 6 female artist) reigns with the top Billboard 200 album by a woman: 21, which topped the tally for 24 weeks beginning March 12, 2011, the longest rule for an album by a solo female in the chart's history.
The rest of the Billboard 200's all-time top five among women: Swift's Fearless (No. 2); Alanis Morissette's 1995 alt-rock opus Jagged Little Pill (No. 3); Carole King's signature 1971 set Tapestry (No. 4); and Swift's 1989 (No. 5).

https://www.billboard.com/charts/greatest-hot-100-women-artists

GREATEST OF ALL TIME HOT 100 WOMEN ARTISTS

1 Madonna
2 Mariah Carey
3 Janet Jackson
4 Whitney Houston
5 Rihanna

https://www.billboard.com/charts/greatest-hot-100-songs-by-women

GREATEST OF ALL TIME HOT 100 SONGS BY WOMEN

37 Like A Virgin by Madonna
63 Vogue by Madonna
88 Crazy For You by Madonna
89 Take A Bow by Madonna

and...

https://www.billboard.com/charts/greatest-billboard-200-women-artists
GREATEST OF ALL TIME BILLBOARD 200 WOMEN ARTISTS

5 Madonna

https://www.billboard.com/charts/greatest-billboard-200-albums-by-women

GREATEST OF ALL TIME BILLBOARD 200 ALBUMS BY WOMEN

48 True Blue by Madonna
65 Like A Virgin by Madonna

I'm surprised she is #5 on Billboard 200 artists. Madonna, TB, LAV, TIC and ROL spent a lot of time on the charts.

Lets not forget all those newer artists Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Drake and Lil Wayne pretty much feature on every other artists songs so imo they dont count as solo songs and shouldnt be included ? you only have to look at the singles charts in the last 10 years and every song is "someone feat. someone feat someone - its like they cant make any songs on their own 

Rihanna is among the generation of those artists who were able to chart with non-singles unlike Madonna and even Mariah in the earlier days. 

Mariah (whether you like her or not) has had her fair share of huge hits in the 90's.  Her first several albums were massive. 

• 1 month later...

From Steven Housman's Music Chart Facts.

February 7, 1987 - 31 Years Ago Today:

Madonna went to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with her single, "Open Your Heart." This was the third No.1 single from her third studio album, "True Blue," and her fourth of five singles released in total from that album. Madonna wrote "Open Your Heart" with Gardner Cole and Peter Rafelson. Madonna has scored 57 Hot 100 singles since her Hot 100 chart debut, "Holiday," in October 1983 which includes 50 Top 40's, 38 Top Tens and 12 No. 1's. Madonna was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008.

• 5 months later...
On 12/31/2017 at 2:37 PM, blondebombshell said:

Sorry Rihanna & Mariah Carey fans i just don't get why there on the top hot 100 hits. IMO I never even listen to Rihanna i have listened to mariah carey. Only one song because it was a break up song. 

And just because you don’t care about them, no one should not either? Ooookay. ?

On 7/19/2018 at 10:35 AM, Turuncan said:

And just because you don’t care about them, no one should not either? Ooookay. ?

I have to agree with this statement.  I've noticed many think just because they don't personally care about an artist or know anyone who does, means they are anyone of significant or deserve to have hits, etc.  The fact is; this quite a big world.  And in each region some people are far more popular than in others.  Also, depending on the region a platinum record can be accomplished easier than in others depending on the size of the region. 

I really don't know too many people where I live who are Madonna fans.  Even when she was at her prime, I never did.  Yet, she managed huge hits.  The internet definitely has helped open my eyes about the popularity of entertainers. 

Also, there are far more many fans who admit they are. Some either don't care to share or some prefer not to share. 

24 minutes ago, blondebombshell said:

I didn't mean for anyone not to listen to them. I just was saying in my opinion. Sorry i really don't have any room to talk i love Janet Jackson,stevie nicks,diana ross. And some people don't like them. Since pose has been on tv. They have had the best 80's music on the show. I wish they would include vogue. 

You basically said you did not understand how “there” (!) on the top 100 list, supporting your argument with that you know almost no songs by Rihanna or Mariah. Not liking artists is one thing,  and discrediting them is a whole different thing. You’re welcome.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:41 PM, Liam said:

Rihanna is among the generation of those artists who were able to chart with non-singles unlike Madonna and even Mariah in the earlier days. 

Mariah (whether you like her or not) has had her fair share of huge hits in the 90's.  Her first several albums were massive. 

Rihanna yes.  Mariah, yes to the earlier hits.  But then Sony just bought her a lot of the others thru pay-to-play.  I don't consider all of Mariah's Hot 100 #1's to be legit, esp w/ her then husband being the head of Sony Music.

8 hours ago, BringUrLUV said:

Rihanna yes.  Mariah, yes to the earlier hits.  But then Sony just bought her a lot of the others thru pay-to-play.  I don't consider all of Mariah's Hot 100 #1's to be legit, esp w/ her then husband being the head of Sony Music.

Well, of course she got perks, being married to the president of Sony Music.  That said, she had the chops to back it up.  I'm not going to deny the fact, she owned most of the 90's, with many infectious hits.  What came afterwards, was a rollercoaster for her.  You have to wonder if her Ex-Husband threw her under the bus by then, so it's quite possible the later stuff was more genuine hits.  Again, she had the chops and I thought even her most recent #1 was a really great song.  Then again, I'm not part of that crowd that bashes other female artists.  I have room in my heart for more than one female popstar without making a competition. :smile:

The whole "payola" thing is quite embellished since that's been a thing for decades for most huge artists.  Let's not pretend that Madonna didn't engage in such as well. 

On 7/27/2018 at 1:35 PM, BringUrLUV said:

Complete bullshit and ignorance. No one “bought” her anything. She was married to him from 1993 to 1997, during only “Music Box” and “Daydream” albums, and she has had insanely successful hits before and after that! Does ‘We Belong Together’ and ‘Touch My Body’ ring any bells? She released them much later than she left Sony and signed with Universal. How about ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’, which gets stronger and stronger audience each year? Does Tommy set that as well? From “Music Box” to “Daydream” as well, you know those so-called “bought” albums, how can one underestimate the power of ‘Hero’ or ‘One Sweet Day’ really? They have continually inspired millions and millions of people, earning their legendary statuses all deservingly. 

And support aside, Sony did its best to tarnish Mariah’s career even starting from “Daydream” era. Unreleased singles with really powerful potential, not listening to her ideas and will of direction, trying to put her in a mold... Even from post-“Daydream” albums which were completely ignored by Sony, she managed to score hits such as ‘Heartbreaker’ (which was shelved after a short time of release to give priority to sales of the album), ‘My All’, ‘Honey’ etc. The post-Sony era I already gave examples of success, not even mentioning how he sabotaged her career during “Glitter” era through Jennifer Lopez (hence “I don’t know her.”) and Destiny’s Child. 

So, do your homework before you utter garbage. Madonna is not the only rightfully successful artist in the world!

To add to @Turuncanpost, Mariah came out with huge hits with her very first album.  Again, I am not going to deny that being in bed with the Sony president didn't have it's perks, but she was already huge by the time they got married.  She (like Madonna of the 80's and early 90's) had great radio/MTV support.  The 90's were her and she fell comfortably in that R&B vibe that was going on during the mid 90's. 

20 hours ago, Turuncan said:

Complete bullshit and ignorance. No one “bought” her anything. She was married to him from 1993 to 1997, during only “Music Box” and “Daydream” albums, and she has had insanely successful hits before and after that! Does ‘We Belong Together’ and ‘Touch My Body’ ring any bells? She released them much later than she left Sony and signed with Universal. How about ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’, which gets stronger and stronger audience each year? Does Tommy set that as well? From “Music Box” to “Daydream” as well, you know those so-called “bought” albums, how can one underestimate the power of ‘Hero’ or ‘One Sweet Day’ really? They have continually inspired millions and millions of people, earning their legendary statuses all deservingly. 

And support aside, Sony did its best to tarnish Mariah’s career even starting from “Daydream” era. Unreleased singles with really powerful potential, not listening to her ideas and will of direction, trying to put her in a mold... Even from post-“Daydream” albums which were completely ignored by Sony, she managed to score hits such as ‘Heartbreaker’ (which was shelved after a short time of release to give priority to sales of the album), ‘My All’, ‘Honey’ etc. The post-Sony era I already gave examples of success, not even mentioning how he sabotaged her career during “Glitter” era through Jennifer Lopez (hence “I don’t know her.”) and Destiny’s Child. 

So, do your homework before you utter garbage. Madonna is not the only rightfully successful artist in the world!

someones triggered.   Selling your singles for .99 when no one else was doing it is shady.  Also I had a friend who is a HUGE mariah fan who worked at Sony at the time & he even heard things going around about the massive payola campaigns. Not saying Touch My Body wasn't legit, I didn't say ALL of her number 1's were bought.  

Also lets not get into Mariah and "creativity".  All of her albums 1993 - 2000 sound the same. 

someones triggered.   Selling your singles for .99 when no one else was doing it is shady.  Also I had a friend who is a HUGE mariah fan who worked at Sony at the time & he even heard things going around about the massive payola campaigns. Not saying Touch My Body wasn't legit, I didn't say ALL of her number 1's were bought.  

Also lets not get into Mariah and "creativity".  All of her albums 1993 - 2000 sound the same. 

Yes, ignorance and pointless attacks on an artist I like with so much wrong information piss me off. 

Discounts are not invented by Mariah. It is one of the many strategies present in sales for many years. Get out of your cave! In the end, people BOUGHT them, at their own will. From Madonna (free album giveaway for MDNA Tour, album + single bundle) to Lady Gaga (discount for “Born This Way”) many artists have been using strategies like that. Besides, she/her company did not discount all her singles for sure.

Oooh if your friend said that, then oooookay, I have no more supportive argument to such a credible source for sure! ?

I gave the example of TMB (and WBT in addition to dozens of other ones) because you said many of her successful singles were “bought” by Sony. Let me repeat: She was married to Mottola for a very short period of time and Sony had already started saboting her career before they separated. Before and after the marriage, she released very successful albums and singles as well, just like the unsuccessul ones. And speaking of unsuccessful, she achieved her first non-top 10 (actually non-top 5) single, ‘Anytime You Need a Friend’, during her marriage and at the height of her success. I guess they could not afford to “buy” it that time!

Creativity-wise, I really wonder how many of her albums you have listened to. Her music evolved as she grew, and all her albums have their own characteristics. She made R&B, pop, Hip-Hop, soul, jazz, gospel, Christmas music, even rock in a short period of the first five years into her career. Her subject matter also varied from romance to heartbreak, death to empowerment, social justice to peace. She has her own style and of course some if not many songs will be similar to each other, this is creating your own style and sound. Show me ONE artist whose work is not! If you can really say that “Music Box” and “Rainbow” for example are very similar after you REALLY listen to them, then I am not really taking you seriously.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:19 PM, Turuncan said:

Yes, ignorance and pointless attacks on an artist I like with so much wrong information piss me off. 

Discounts are not invented by Mariah. It is one of the many strategies present in sales for many years. Get out of your cave! In the end, people BOUGHT them, at their own will. From Madonna (free album giveaway for MDNA Tour, album + single bundle) to Lady Gaga (discount for “Born This Way”) many artists have been using strategies like that. Besides, she/her company did not discount all her singles for sure.

Oooh if your friend said that, then oooookay, I have no more supportive argument to such a credible source for sure! ?

I gave the example of TMB (and WBT in addition to dozens of other ones) because you said many of her successful singles were “bought” by Sony. Let me repeat: She was married to Mottola for a very short period of time and Sony had already started saboting her career before they separated. Before and after the marriage, she released very successful albums and singles as well, just like the unsuccessul ones. And speaking of unsuccessful, she achieved her first non-top 10 (actually non-top 5) single, ‘Anytime You Need a Friend’, during her marriage and at the height of her success. I guess they could not afford to “buy” it that time!

Creativity-wise, I really wonder how many of her albums you have listened to. Her music evolved as she grew, and all her albums have their own characteristics. She made R&B, pop, Hip-Hop, soul, jazz, gospel, Christmas music, even rock in a short period of the first five years into her career. Her subject matter also varied from romance to heartbreak, death to empowerment, social justice to peace. She has her own style and of course some if not many songs will be similar to each other, this is creating your own style and sound. Show me ONE artist whose work is not! If you can really say that “Music Box” and “Rainbow” for example are very similar after you REALLY listen to them, then I am not really taking you seriously.

To be clear I'm not talking about ALL her number 1's.  

As for her albums, I've listened to all of them as I am a fan of Mariah, albeit a critical one.  She's a hot mess, especially in recent years. She didn't impress me creatively from after Music Box till about EOM.  That's not to say I didn't enjoy her music in that period, I just didn't think it deserved the hype. I wasn't a big fan of 90's R&B tbh, and she WAS VERY REPETITIVE during that time. Maybe its cuz I'm a bigger Madonna fan, & love how she experiments & does different things. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Mariah's stuff in that period, I enjoyed her remixes absolutely--she gets props for re-recording her vocals for her dance & house remixes, but it was a bit tired only having David Morales doing her dance remixes exclusively when there were so many other great producers out there at the time in the 90's.  She only branched out when DM forced her to cuz he couldn't remix Heartbreaker.  I LOVE his remixes of her, but there were missed opportunities during that time, remix wise.     

As for Madonna's MDNA giveaway, it was 15 years after Mariah did it by the way when the music industry had already degraded into the shit show it is now.  And Gaga got so much flak for her BTW discount.  As for my friend at SONY, yeah, its hearsay.  Ironically, I've had the same arguments with him as I am with you here.  But he was right about other things with Sony artists.  But yeah, certainly not solid proof.  

OK, back to my cave.

2 hours ago, BringUrLUV said:

To be clear I'm not talking about ALL her number 1's.  

Yes, you were talking about MANY of them. Still unfair.

She didn't impress me creatively from after Music Box till about EOM.  That's not to say I didn't enjoy her music in that period, I just didn't think it deserved the hype. I wasn't a big fan of 90's R&B tbh, and she WAS VERY REPETITIVE during that time.

She was not making a complete different album every time for sure; as stated, every artist has his/her own style and all has been said and done in pop music. For every Mariah love song, there is a Madonna song calling to dance and a Michael song saving the world. There is a thread about this for Madonna in the General Discussion part as well. You gotta dig deeper to see the variety. As time went by, her albums evolved in their own way. But if you choose not to see and enjoy it, I respect your taste.

As for Madonna's MDNA giveaway, it was 15 years after Mariah did it by the way when the music industry had already degraded into the shit show it is now.  And Gaga got so much flak for her BTW discount. 

So out of context. In the end, they used different strategies for marketing as well, and there is nothing wrong with it. Let’s not invent points in the argument. There are lots of things Madonna or another artist did/didn’t whereas Mariah didn’t/did on the other hand.

OK, back to my cave.

Thanks.

Turuncan.  Relax.  Mariah is a hit-maker (?), albeit a messy, non-creative one.  THATS MY OPINION.

She is, like it or not. Your little ignorant comments and that question mark will not change that. If you still stomp your feet and whine that she is not creative after all the versatility I have put forward, then nothing more to say.

I can't even get mad cuz all I want is a mustache ride on that sexy thing  :hearteyes: 

I look forward to triggering you again in the future, just please keep that AVI :kissy:

You lil perv. My boyfriend would kill you. I may take a look if you have beautiful toes, though. :polish:

5 hours ago, Turuncan said:

She is, like it or not. Your little ignorant comments and that question mark will not change that. If you still stomp your feet and whine that she is not creative after all the versatility I have put forward, then nothing more to say.

You lil perv. My boyfriend would kill you. I may take a look if you have beautiful toes, though. :polish:

No, my husband would kill me lol.  :lol:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/hot-100-turns-60/8468088/hot-100-turns-60-top-60-female-artists-all-time-madonna-mariah-carey-janet-jackson

Hot 100 Turns 60! The Top 60 Female Artists of All-Time, From Madonna to Mariah Carey & More

by Xander Zellner 
August 02, 2018, 

• 4 months later...