Sign in to follow this  
Brendanlovesu1

Record Store Day 2019

Imagine having thousands of different reissue options and releasing things that you can get on discogs for similar prices. Imagine your cash cow artist not caring for her legacy enough to create proper deluxe editions. Imagine silencing people's opinions if they're negative.

8 hours ago, Future Lover said:

Imagine having thousands of different reissue options and releasing things that you can get on discogs for similar prices. Imagine your cash cow artist not caring for her legacy enough to create proper deluxe editions. Imagine silencing people's opinions if they're negative.

She's far from a cash cow artist, she has very little interest in her back catalogue and has said as much.

9 hours ago, Future Lover said:

Troll !

Saying one of Warner's top selling artists isn't (or wasn't) a cash cow is shortsighted. And her disinterest for her back catalogue isn't anything to be proud of either. I mean, I already have both of these EPs on CD and I love them. Overpriced colored vinyl (I expect they'll be in the ballpark of 25€) is not what anyone wants from her (or her label) at this point. I doubt anyone else other than rich and/or old gays will care for this. Now, a complete singles collection would be a reason to celebrate. Reconnect her to the general public, etc. I'm actually surprised Warner isn't cooking that up to coincide with the new album. Back when MDNA was about to come out, we got the 11-album box set.

Also, calling people trolls and not offering any rebuttal of what was said is needless, really.

3 minutes ago, Future Lover said:

Saying one of Warner's top selling artists isn't (or wasn't) a cash cow is shortsighted. And her disinterest for her back catalogue isn't anything to be proud of either. I mean, I already have both of these EPs on CD and I love them. Overpriced colored vinyl (I expect they'll be in the ballpark of 25€) is not what anyone wants from her (or her label) at this point. I doubt anyone else other than rich and/or old gays will care for this. Now, a complete singles collection would be a reason to celebrate. Reconnect her to the general public, etc. 

Also, calling people trolls and not offering any rebuttal of what was said is needless, really.

I don't think it's necessary to treat people like this when WE KNOW many fans of Madonna are already past their 30s and probably older. I don't see the point in getting multiple releases over and over either but I do believe spending money on this stuff is just up to collectors. If it doesn't affect my pockets, then why bother?

Yeah, I apologize, that sentence was born out of frustration. RSD is a global day when vinyl releases get the most attention, and a perfect chance to reach a global audience. David Bowie's team mostly releases new and exclusive things for RSD. Imagine getting Blond Ambition on vinyl or something like that? They provide the equivalent with all sorts of live albums, promo acetates etc. 
Why bother? To explain in short, I just see wasted potential when we get something we already have, and in a format that's imperfect by design. If they bothered releasing those tracks digitally as well (which some other artists, like Grace Jones, do simultaneously), I'd be perfectly happy. "Gambler" is still not on a single streaming platform. So, a label dedicates time, people and resources, probably even remasters the tracks and artwork... for something that's stuck on wax. I know some people will be happy with this, but those people probably already have everything by now. The only way this could turn out worse is if they remastered "Like a Prayer" for vinyl, but not for a CD/digital release. I'd laugh my ass off. The 30th anniversary is awfully close, though.

1 hour ago, Future Lover said:

Saying one of Warner's top selling artists isn't (or wasn't) a cash cow is shortsighted. And her disinterest for her back catalogue isn't anything to be proud of either. I mean, I already have both of these EPs on CD and I love them. Overpriced colored vinyl (I expect they'll be in the ballpark of 25€) is not what anyone wants from her (or her label) at this point. I doubt anyone else other than rich and/or old gays will care for this. Now, a complete singles collection would be a reason to celebrate. Reconnect her to the general public, etc. I'm actually surprised Warner isn't cooking that up to coincide with the new album. Back when MDNA was about to come out, we got the 11-album box set.

The whole point of RSD is to get vinyl lovers into the independent record shops as I'm sure you're aware. 25 euro's each is fairly reasonable for two EPs that have never been released over here and in limited edition. It's about supporting the record shops, it's not about reconnecting with the general public. Why would it make you perfectly happy to have them available on streaming when you already have them on CD? You seem very annoyed about a lot of different things if you don't mind me saying. If you don't want to buy these releases it doesn't matter, RSD isn't for everyone.

I think I've explained my stance in detail, and I'll reserve the right to politely criticize some choices as long as I want to. Getting something, anything on Spotify would mean the 30+ year old tapes aren't lost forever and that there's still a miniscule chance that someone cares about the definitive period of Madonna's career. People will be standing in line for RSD, but trust me, not for Madonna, but for Bowie and his exclusives. Thanks for reading!

23 hours ago, Future Lover said:

Yeah, I apologize, that sentence was born out of frustration. RSD is a global day when vinyl releases get the most attention, and a perfect chance to reach a global audience. David Bowie's team mostly releases new and exclusive things for RSD. Imagine getting Blond Ambition on vinyl or something like that? They provide the equivalent with all sorts of live albums, promo acetates etc. 
Why bother? To explain in short, I just see wasted potential when we get something we already have, and in a format that's imperfect by design. If they bothered releasing those tracks digitally as well (which some other artists, like Grace Jones, do simultaneously), I'd be perfectly happy. "Gambler" is still not on a single streaming platform. So, a label dedicates time, people and resources, probably even remasters the tracks and artwork... for something that's stuck on wax. I know some people will be happy with this, but those people probably already have everything by now. The only way this could turn out worse is if they remastered "Like a Prayer" for vinyl, but not for a CD/digital release. I'd laugh my ass off. The 30th anniversary is awfully close, though.

Nobody wants digital junk anymore. And vinyl sounds a MILLION times better. Most people at record store day are from 15-30 years old that I’ve seen show up.

3 minutes ago, Papa DP said:

Nobody wants digital junk anymore. And vinyl sounds a MILLION times better.

Sorry, I have to disagree with both of these. I want a lot of digital junk. Not a set of horrible Bitch I'm Madonna remixes, mind you, but it's a sort of archival for posterity. Every other format other than digital is imperfect, rigid and destructible. You can create a million records, and each of them will scratch and degrade in unique ways. Would you store Mona Lisa as a photocopy? You can create a million digital copies, and they'll all be identical within a certain, extremely high threshold. 

The third sentence about RSD shoppers is anecdotal evidence, which is fine, and I'm glad people still care, no matter the generation. It's just not Madonna they care about.

Not all digital is lossless. Digital does not come with art. Digital does not have a visual companion. There is no listening experience when clicking on the play button on a phone or computer. Digital is not superior to analog.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:30 AM, Future Lover said:

A gurl’s gotta pay rent, honey. And she has 6 kids to put through college. NOT EASY!

On 12/18/2018 at 5:56 PM, professormouse said:

So no Fever dj double pack, AGAIN ?

It would be a very weird release to me, I'd rather have a double white vinyl edition of the Japanese Rain EP.

On 12/19/2018 at 9:55 AM, PWCCA said:

I was hoping to see something new, but I like these Japanese reissues.... though a Remixed Prayers on coloured vinyl would have been much more preferable

I loved this one, especially because I only have the CDs. I think Remixed Prayers might have its time too.

On 12/19/2018 at 11:05 AM, shakeyerdix said:

Boring as ever...

Why don't they have good ideas sometimes...

Re-issue in color vinyl is such a silly idea...

Evita LP, everybody runs to buy it...

I agree when it comes to color album vinyls. The Japanese EPs are very special to me so I'm very excited.
I think an EVITA LP would not be a good idea. I vote for a GHV2 LP.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, Future Lover said:

RSD is nothing more than A Con.
I went to 3 different shops and Suddenly Donna Summer was Collectable !
The only 'larf' from it was seeing the very same 12'' set for sale at half the RSD price and a whole lot on-line at silly money prices.....that nobody wanted.
A track has to be PRETTY RARE b4 a DJ would buy a record to rip it themselves.
NOBODY who actually does that or still plays records wants coloured vinyl.

Con or not, I must say I do enjoy getting up early on RSD to go to the local shops and hunt .. not just for Madonna but other things.  It takes me back to the OLDEN DAYS when I would sit outside Sam The Record Man waiting for the door to open so I could plow through grabbing records and cd singles ... that reminds me of the glorious morning when I was 16 grabbing copies of her f irst VHS single, Justify My Love. Oh the days... oh the nostolgia .. it used to be my playground.