Sign in to follow this  
luckystar

What is the problem with reissues and collection of unreleased songs?

I don't count those pointless reissues that are happening for years and adding nothing new.

Fans always say Madonna  doesn't want to release those stuff yet, because she doesn't want to become nostalgia act. But that's untrue, because Madonna wanted to release a boxset with albums and probably some additional material in 2003. Warner didn't like that idea and released Remixed and Revisited instead. 

So, what is the problem? Why aren't we getting remastered anniversary reissues with bonus stuff (B-sides, unreleased outtakes, demos)? Or simply a collection of those rarities?

Is not working for Warner a problem? Warner and Madonna can't agree about money? A collection of outtakes is something that fans usually buy, so it won't sell a lot.

So many artists have done it lately. Grace Jones, Kate Bush...

There are so many one hit wonders from the 80s whose albums have been reissued with additional stuff.

If one hit wonders and some forgotten pop acts can get that, why a megastar like Madonna can't?

I NEVER understand why they don't release anniversary editions with bonus b-sides and remixes....

These repeated vinyl re-releases are so insignificant, I always say they are releases for the rich fans, those who can afford buying the same thing again, but in a different color. I think one good color release is enough. I also think they aren't allowed to re-release new or more fine stuff.

The Immaculate Collection coloured LP is horrible, and extremely expensive, since it has nothing of special value. Why they didn't make it a picture disc? Or just both discs plain blue as the cover? It would be perfect like that.

Maybe they're planning on saving that material to make money after she dies? Don't take me wrong, labels most of the times only release that kind of stuff after an artist dies. I'm quite sure they will re-release everything with new material which they would own rights.

8 minutes ago, rcb4real said:

Maybe they're planning on saving that material to make money after she dies? Don't take me wrong, labels most of the times only release that kind of stuff after an artist dies. I'm quite sure they will re-release everything with new material which they would own rights.

Maybe that's very radical, isn't it? ?

But I do agree with that. And Mambo will have a HUGE tribute when she (not for many years yet) passes... I'm sure. 

14 minutes ago, rcb4real said:

You are right. Many times, the companies make MORE after an artist dies than when they were alive, and that's alot.  Examples, Whitney, Prince, Michael Jackson and on and on the list goes.

It's a morbid thought, but seems sometimes people are worth more dead than alive.

1 hour ago, scottyj said:

One reason is ..

The one hit wonders need money. Madonna doesnt have to rehash.

Bruce Springsteen, U2, The Smiths, The Rolling Stones are one hit wonders? I didn't know that!

Warner would want full control of the unreleased material and how it gets released so they'll more than likely wait until she is gone. We've seen it with Michael, Prince and Bowie. The minute you are gone you are worth something to everyone. It's disgusting and yet we buy it cause we want to hear the music and remember the legacy. At least they wouldn't be stupid enough to fake vocals for M like they did with Michael. Still not over that Britney Jean... I mean bullshit lol.

4 hours ago, luckystar said:

I don't count those pointless reissues that are happening for years and adding nothing new.

Fans always say Madonna  doesn't want to release those stuff yet, because she doesn't want to become nostalgia act. But that's untrue, because Madonna wanted to release a boxset with albums and probably some additional material in 2003. Warner didn't like that idea and released Remixed and Revisited instead. 

So, what is the problem? Why aren't we getting remastered anniversary reissues with bonus stuff (B-sides, unreleased outtakes, demos)? Or simply a collection of those rarities?

Is not working for Warner a problem? Warner and Madonna can't agree about money? A collection of outtakes is something that fans usually buy, so it won't sell a lot.

So many artists have done it lately. Grace Jones, Kate Bush...

There are so many one hit wonders from the 80s whose albums have been reissued with additional stuff.

If one hit wonders and some forgotten pop acts can get that, why a megastar like Madonna can't?

One of the reasons Remixed & Revisited was released instead is because Warner thought Madonna's ideas of a re-release would be too expensive. Her entire discography, including unreleased songs, was digitised but Warner figured it would be too costly to re-release everything, so cancelled it. I don't see why they can't put her 7" mixes etc onto iTunes & streaming, however.

My belief is that it's a money dispute between Warner and Madonna. She is also likely to have very specific ideas about what she wants released, and how, which Warner probably disagree with. I do hope they come to some agreement soon. 

good post ! maybe she sees her work albums as works of art so she doesnt want them messed with like you wouldnt want a old painting messed with , i wish she would remaster her albums though i hate how bad erotica sounds in quality and ray of light sounds dated now too i actually hope she is saving all this stuff for later in her career 

7 hours ago, Icarus said:

Warner would want full control of the unreleased material and how it gets released so they'll more than likely wait until she is gone. We've seen it with Michael, Prince and Bowie. The minute you are gone you are worth something to everyone. It's disgusting and yet we buy it cause we want to hear the music and remember the legacy. At least they wouldn't be stupid enough to fake vocals for M like they did with Michael. Still not over that Britney Jean... I mean bullshit lol.

its disgusting what sony did to michaels work 

9 hours ago, Jascka said:

Maybe that's very radical, isn't it? ?

But I do agree with that. And Mambo will have a HUGE tribute when she (not for many years yet) passes... I'm sure. 

urgg lets not talk of madonnas death she will live forever its what she wants 

I don't see remastering as a bad thing, although I know sometimes they really mess up with the material. 

TO ME, the Warner Remasters CDs sound amazing comparing to the original albums. As a poor fan, I used to have a very basic stereo system and I hated to listen to her albums in lower volume. It was so bad that even if you put it on the max vol, it would still sound low for someone that loves listening to loud music.

It wasn't until Ray Of Light that her CDs started to sound louder, being Music the first one that I was actually satisfied with volume level and EQ.

To fix this difference, I remastered every of her albums before Music so all of them would have the same volume as the Warner Remasters CDs, and nowadays with my better equipment, everything sounds amazing.

Each album should be remastered and come in box set. 

disc 1) Original album with 7” & 12” mixes 

disc 2) Demos/Outtakes/B-sides/Remixes

disc 3) Concert/Music videos dvd/blu ray 

book) Outtake alternative & unseen photos/Essays & Liner notes 

Pet Shop Boys Further Listening sets are incredible although they don’t feature a dvd, the booklets are packed with pictures and track by track discussions with the boys. 

There is a shift back to vinyl. So, I won't be surprised if it's just the start of all the re-issues. Especially the albums that were in the gap of the end of vinyl and the shift. Pet Shop Boys are leading the pack, along with Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. They would be foolish not to reissue all these albums on vinyl. Well I guess Record Store Day releases are a great start too.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:40 AM, heartcore said:

One of the reasons Remixed & Revisited was released instead is because Warner thought Madonna's ideas of a re-release would be too expensive. Her entire discography, including unreleased songs, was digitised but Warner figured it would be too costly to re-release everything, so cancelled it. I don't see why they can't put her 7" mixes etc onto iTunes & streaming, however.

My belief is that it's a money dispute between Warner and Madonna. She is also likely to have very specific ideas about what she wants released, and how, which Warner probably disagree with. I do hope they come to some agreement soon. 

Warner cancelled the anniversary box set because of AL's low sales. It was a Caresse Henry project, who tried to make it up to fans by putting out R&R and that NKM book. Once Caresse was fired in early 2005, those projects, including the RIT dVd, were abandoned.

2 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Warner cancelled the anniversary box set because of AL's low sales. It was a Caresse Henry project, who tried to make it up to fans by putting out R&R and that NKM book. Once Caresse was fired in early 2005, those projects, including the RIT dVd, were abandoned.

Why was Caresse fired?

7 minutes ago, deathproof said:

It’s kind of a messy situation. I know she had addiction issues, But it’s believed the issue is from an apparent affair with a security personal

She fucked the bodyguard? If he looked like Richard Madden, who wouldn't?

31 minutes ago, The Same Parts said:

She fucked the bodyguard? If he looked like Richard Madden, who wouldn't?

According to various reports, Henry and Madonna parted ways in 2004 amid rumors that Madonna fired Henry due to the pop star's faith in Kabbalah; at the time, it was also reported that Henry quit.”

http://www.mtv.com/news/1635369/caresse-henry-madonnas-former-manager-found-dead/

“Madonna devotion to Kabbalah was reportedly behind the firing of her manager Caresse Henry.

Madonna hit the roof when she discovered Caresse, her manager of 13 years, was having an affair with her personal bouncer.”

http://www.music-news.com/news/UK/3763/news

Sources tell us that towards the end of her tenure as Madonna’s manager, Caresse developed a drug problem. Madonna attempted to get her help, but Henry refused.

“M even offered to pay for her rehab, but she wouldn’t go,” an insider tells us. “Caresse took advantage of Madonna, spent money she shouldn’t have and was just not able to do her job anymore. M had no choice but to fire her.”

https://perezhilton.com/madonna-did-not-abandon-former-manager-friends-reveal-what-really-happened/