Something important essential part is missing in Madonna's current music videos.

Madame Madonna

8 hours ago, anaglyphx said:

Plus, having many kids means she doesn't have the time or energy like she used to.

Sure, but her kids are not that young now so they can stay alone for longer. On the other hand, when the kids are infant the mother has to spend almost her entire time with them.  Nevertheless, when Rocco and Lola were infant she served some of the best music videos of her entire career: Music, Don't Tell Me, Die Another Day and American Life (uncensored). Not to mention that WIFLFAG, Hollywood and Love Profusion are outstanding and insanely cool too!

Honestly, I think one of the reasons must be the fact that in the past she used to tour on average every two albums, hence more time to dedicate to the music videos. 

5 hours ago, Frank said:

And there goes another negative topic... ?

The topic is constructive since music videos like Get Together, Miles Away and Turn Up The Radio do exist. Obviously you should expect some negative critique in this kind of discussion, but remember that a well argued negative critique is more helpful that some unconditional praise. It may be painful to acknowledge criticism, but at least it brings attention to an evident issue.

19 minutes ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

Sure, but her kids are not that young now so they can stay alone for longer. On the other hand, when the kids are infant the mother has to spend almost her entire time with them.  Nevertheless, when Rocco and Lola were infant she served some of the best music videos of her entire career: Music, Don't Tell Me, Die Another Day and American Life (uncensored). Not to mention that WIFLFAG, Hollywood and Love Profusion are outstanding and insanely cool too!

Honestly, I think one of the reasons must be the fact that in the past she used to tour on average every two albums, hence more time to dedicate to the music videos. 

The topic is constructive since music videos like Get Together, Miles Away and Turn Up The Radio do exist. Obviously you should expect some negative critique in this kind of discussion, but remember that a well argued negative critique is more helpful that some unconditional praise. It may be painful to acknowledge criticism, but at least it brings attention to an evident issue.

Very well said.:clapp:

And I want to plus about this. I think one of reason Madonna's music videos getting worse is She think that Music video is waste of money than important investment.

I still remember she did shout to director "hurry up!!!! Time is money!!" something like this in one of her behind scene making music video. I think that it is probably Hung up making video. I can clearly feel that director's furious feeling from his face expression.

Time is money.. I get that and I agree with it. And I get that Madonna doesn't want waste of her precious time(I mean money) but she should think about making great music video as great investment not a wast of money.

I mean billboard chart counting youtube views so if you want have billboard chart hit song again then make a great music video!

It's not a waste money or time. But I can clearly hear if director want to shoot another cut then she is shouting back "No!! Time is money!!!" uh...

There’s usually one singular cause for a change in quality, and that’s a lower budget. 

Pretty sick of the “endless praise” vs. “negative critique” reasoning. There’s a very clear focus on superficial criticisms towards M, coming from “fans” on here. It’s usually the same topics being brought up, by nearly the same people...

Yes, a decent song ?
That Other song Justin Timberlake sings on is a prime example.
I wouldn't say 'hated with a passion' as there's enough in here but I wasn't exactly his biggest fan.
Aaaand I hadn't really listened to it's parent album either.
It screams HIT more than their actual single, well to my lugs any way.
The only 'reason' for it not being single released I got on here was that he was on the first one.....OK ?
The current trend of Upright 'Phone' Video's just shows you can't exactly compare to stuff from the past.
You press a button now to buy music.
You don't see the video first and think it's cool enough/groovy/etc to buy.
There's many a video put me off a song in the past...:Madonna003:

52 minutes ago, Hampus said:

I understand what you mean, but I still consider eg. Ghosttown one of her better videos :thinker:

I consider it one of her best videos in recent years. However, it does not feel like she's singing in the video but rather the track is just played on the back...It feels less powerful without lip-syncing imo.

47 minutes ago, brazilfan said:

Very well said.:clapp:

And I want to plus about this. I think one of reason Madonna's music videos getting worse is She think that Music video is waste of money than important investment.

I still remember she did shout to director "hurry up!!!! Time is money!!" something like this in one of her behind scene making music video. I think that it is probably Hung up making video. I can clearly feel that director's furious feeling from his face expression.

Time is money.. I get that and I agree with it. And I get that Madonna doesn't want waste of her precious time(I mean money) but she should think about making great music video as great investment not a wast of money.

I mean billboard chart counting youtube views so if you want have billboard chart hit song again then make a great music video!

It's not a waste money or time. But I can clearly hear if director want to shoot another cut then she is shouting back "No!! Time is money!!!" uh...

Totally agree with you 100000000%  

Bitch I'm Madonna charted on the hot100 thanks to the video.

The tour is the main source of money but the music videos is what she needs to chart. 

43 minutes ago, NowRadiate said:

There’s usually one singular cause for a change in quality, and that’s a lower budget. 

Pretty sick of the “endless praise” vs. “negative critique” reasoning. There’s a very clear focus on superficial criticisms towards M, coming from “fans” on here. It’s usually the same topics being brought up, by nearly the same people...

Anyone can make a thread or post with criticisms as long as they dont break the rules. What goes against the guidelines is the “not real fans” reasoning/insult that people constantly use. Clearly we are going to have to enforce our policies more strongly. 

I agree, and I notice that it is not only Madonna, but other artists as well. I find videos from the 80s and early 90s to have much more "magic" than current videos do. Back then there weren't as many fancy effects and the videos were not presented in high definition. I think that artists nowadays rely on these effects and the quality of their videos, and when viewing them you don't just have the artist and their natural charm to focus on, which Madonna had a lot of. It is also possible that she no longer puts much importance into her music videos because not as many people are watching them as they used to. Back then, she realized that millions of people would be viewing her videos and that they could very well determine the success of the single, so she wanted to make them as special as she could; now the videos are a second thought when compared to the actual songs and her tours.

2 hours ago, Fighter said:

Anyone can make a thread or post with criticisms as long as they dont break the rules. What goes against the guidelines is the “not real fans” reasoning/insult that people constantly use. Clearly we are going to have to enforce our policies more strongly. 

Oh it’s that time of year again. Alright, I understand. A threat.

For me, it's a combination of various factors: some video director's don't have as much technique as the ones who shot the videos you showed; M's music has changed and maybe it wouldn't match the same style used on earlier videos; that's just the way videos are shot nowadays - if you look at other singers' videos, they don't have that theatrical quality you mentioned, as well; and finally, videos don't have the same importance as they had 20 years ago.

Agree. I don't get why some fans see this thread as negative. It is a fact that Madonna's latest videos didn't come close to her older videos. Madonna herself said videos weren't important anymore and her newer videos aren't art like classic ones.

When it comes to great music videos, I think indie and alternative artists are the ones who deliver such. Even with low budget, they are able to deliver something artistic and beautiful. 

On the other hand, critics and media hype too much videos of  commercial artists these days. They are simply overrated. And it all comes down to how many views they have on YT. It is funny that the worst and most basic videos have the most views, while something like Madonna's Vogue isn't there. Critics and general public make a big deal about basic videos. Ariana keeps delivering tacky videos with CGI or basic videos,  while media acts like they are watching Express Yourself.  The standards are so low, but nobody will admit that.

Although Madonna didn't delivered artistic greatness like in the past, she is actually still good. GMAYL, GGW, LFL and Ghosttown shitted on videos by other commercial artists. Madonna delivered fun and humor with GMAYL, something that Katy tries to achieve, but fails with kitschy visuals, try-hard acting and production that  reminds of cheap videos by almost unknown eurodance or whatever acts from the 2000s. Madonna being able to deliver sex appeal with GGW, something that Gaga didn't manage to do so far. Living For Love proved that Madonna still can be so interesting when her works get inspired by another culture and she pulled it off without being tacky. Even Ghosttown was closer to movie experience than all those tacky CGI videos overrated  by critics.

4 hours ago, NowRadiate said:

Oh it’s that time of year again. Alright, I understand. A threat.

If you lack the maturity to follow the rules, you will be banned. That's just common sense. Since you don't want verbal warnings from staff, you will get official warnings instead. I don't want people getting the wrong impression that certain users are above the rules. Enjoy your warning. 

It is true, Madonna's videos for the past few albums have been rather dull and unimaginative, which is a stark contrast to her MV output in the 1990s where she pretty much reigned supreme. I would really love it if she could view music videos in the same manner in which Bjork does. She always works with incredible directors and artists, and produces absolute masterpieces... and they don't always need to command huge budgets. 

4 hours ago, luckystar said:

Agree. I don't get why some fans see this thread as negative. It is a fact that Madonna's latest videos didn't come close to her older videos. Madonna herself said videos weren't important anymore and her newer videos aren't art like classic ones.

When it comes to great music videos, I think indie and alternative artists are the ones who deliver such. Even with low budget, they are able to deliver something artistic and beautiful. 

On the other hand, critics and media hype too much videos of  commercial artists these days. They are simply overrated. And it all comes down to how many views they have on YT. It is funny that the worst and most basic videos have the most views, while something like Madonna's Vogue isn't there. Critics and general public make a big deal about basic videos. Ariana keeps delivering tacky videos with CGI or basic videos,  while media acts like they are watching Express Yourself.  The standards are so low, but nobody will admit that.

Although Madonna didn't delivered artistic greatness like in the past, she is actually still good. GMAYL, GGW, LFL and Ghosttown shitted on videos by other commercial artists. Madonna delivered fun and humor with GMAYL, something that Katy tries to achieve, but fails with kitschy visuals, try-hard acting and production that  reminds of cheap videos by almost unknown eurodance or whatever acts from the 2000s. Madonna being able to deliver sex appeal with GGW, something that Gaga didn't manage to do so far. Living For Love proved that Madonna still can be so interesting when her works get inspired by another culture and she pulled it off without being tacky. Even Ghosttown was closer to movie experience than all those tacky CGI videos overrated  by critics.

Great to read! very well said! :thumbsup::heart:

I don't understand that some people insist that great music video simply has high budget and bad music video has low budget.

I mean I choose some example from Justify my love music video, Not express yourself or die another day. 

Did Justify my love really cost huge budget? I don't think so.

OK then forget about JML. 

Another great example. Cherish Music video.

tumblr_og3uvmYRWa1u501aoo1_400.gifImage result for madonna cherish music video gif

Image result for madonna cherish music video gif

Image result for madonna cherish music video gif

She just did walking around on the beach. That's all. No huge budget at all.

But this video has what I'm talking about star quality movement which you wanna keep watching it over and over again. 

I mean that song is very cute song but to be honest that song is not even a dramatic song! It just very sweet and cute song.

But still that music video's Madonna had star quality movement. So you wanna replay some scene over and over again.

11 hours ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

I consider it one of her best videos in recent years. However, it does not feel like she's singing in the video but rather the track is just played on the back...It feels less powerful without lip-syncing imo.

Totally agree with you 100000000%  

Bitch I'm Madonna charted on the hot100 thanks to the video.

The tour is the main source of money but the music videos is what she needs to chart. 

This! So true!

20 hours ago, Frank said:

And there goes another negative topic... ?

Don't waste your time Frank with this kind of fan, unfortunately Madonna's brazilian fans are the worst in the world, in every topic, in every social media, they complain about everything on her, the image, the age, the releases, the videos, the songs, nothing is good enough to them, I can say this, being brazilian and seeing "this constructive opinions, and with so much sense." In every brazilian page sounds like this.

Just ignore, cause they come to ofend, to make jokes, to laugh about the others, to start fight and is that all.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:13 AM, 12inch said:

I thought she had a lot of star quality in Girl Gone Wild.

But she didn’t need those cringey dancers in it ? The box footage was great - the problem is she’s just not working with good directors anymore - she can make a great video even with a mediocre song ( Human Nature is a good example of that ) the editing is always gonna be quick in today’s standards - even Jonas Akerlund makes song crap videos with her - Jump anyone ? 

To me her last great videos were Die Another Day and Bedtime Story RIT - elegant and fierce ?