You Can Dance- What songs would you have picked?

SgtConstable

Thinking back to You Can Dance I think I would have picked other songs plus made it a double vinyl release.

Here's something I believe would have also worked for the time:

1. Spotlight

2. I Know It

3. Stay

4. Borderline

5. Physical Attraction

6. Over and Over

7. White Heat

8. Into the Groove

9. Where's the Party

What would you pick only using anything to the True Blue release?

I Know It and Stay, I honestly don’t think those would have ever been a thought in her mind for this. Though really great songs, they weren’t commercially successful. I also don’t think anything from Who’s That Girl would have worked, as they were released months before. Being so fresh, they would not have worked - although I would have banged for a Causing A Commotion dub.

Open Your Heart and Papa Don’t Preach, Burning Up, and Love Makes The World Go Round would have worked big time!

3 minutes ago, momosfantasy said:

Think of Me w would have been cool (wasn't that actually supposed to have been on it?). Also would have liked Open Your Heart, White Heat, and Angel.  Also, if anyone knows, is there any difference in the YCD version of Physical Attraction from the original album version?

Yes, Physical Attraction is pretty different from the album version.

It's mixed with Everybody at the beginning. Plus on the various promos there is a single remix edit, dub version, and the stand alone extended version.

Its pretty perfect as it is. I imagine the job was to highlight the dancier cuts from her debut that were lesser known hits and the two lost singles from their respective albums (Over & Over and Where's The Party) that were shelved due to soundtracks Who's That Girl and Vision Quest / DSS. Burning Up should probably have featured in some way really.  We know True Blue was being worked on by Shep before Into The Groove was suggested instead.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, momosfantasy said:

I didn't think about Gambler, that would have been cool!  And thanks for the answers, guys!  I didn't realize there was a dub version of Physical Attraction!

There was no official dub of physical attraction for YCD ? Who said that - think of me was definitely fake 

I think lucky star and open your heart should have been on this but it’s a pretty solid compilation as it is - I just wish we had an unmixed digital version ;((

On 2/28/2019 at 2:38 PM, momosfantasy said:

I didn't think about Gambler, that would have been cool!  And thanks for the answers, guys!  I didn't realize there was a dub version of Physical Attraction!

There isn't a dub of  Physical Attraction. Nothing special was done to that track for YCD. The Single isn't isn't even new - it's just the same edit from 1983...

4 hours ago, brank000 said:

There isn't a dub of  Physical Attraction. Nothing special was done to that track for YCD. The Single isn't isn't even new - it's just the same edit from 1983...

Maybe I misunderstood the post from Sgt.Constable?  I didn't think there was a dub of Physical Attraction, but there are so many remixes to keep track of, lol.  I was asking about differences in Physical Attraction between the original version and the YCD version.  I've never listened to them back to back (yes, I can be a lazy fan), but I just don't hear any differences in the YCD version (other than being mixed with Everybody at the beginning).

17 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

Maybe I misunderstood the post from Sgt.Constable?  I didn't think there was a dub of Physical Attraction, but there are so many remixes to keep track of, lol.  I was asking about differences in Physical Attraction between the original version and the YCD version.  I've never listened to them back to back (yes, I can be a lazy fan), but I just don't hear any differences in the YCD version (other than being mixed with Everybody at the beginning).

No, you didn't misunderstand me. I made a mistake. I was thinking of Over and Over for some odd reason.

I suppose I've finally hit that age ?