Madonna B-sides

madgefan

I don't remember if we've ever talked about this in a proper thread before but here it goes anyway. I must confess there are days when I only listen to her rare stuff like unreleased tracks, demos, and recordings. You've all been in that mood, haven't you? But the thing that surprises me the most is the few amount of officially released b-sides throughout Madonna's career. Wasn't the reworked demo of History the last one she released during the Warner years? And that was in late 2006! 

AIN'T NO BIG DEAL (1986) from the The First Album sessions with Reggie Lucas. It was released on the Papa Don't Preach and True Blue Singles. It can also be found in the Japanese EP of Dress You Up.

R-207168-1121683353.jpg.jpg

SPOTLIGHT (1987) from the True Blue sessions with Stephen Bray with additional production by Jellybean Benitez. Found in every You Can Dance edition around the world.

R-6120035-1502772720-6458.jpeg.jpg

SUPERNATURAL (1989) from the Like a Prayer sessions with Patrick Leonard. Found in most Cherish single releases.

R-535516-1318171113.jpeg.jpg

JUSTIFY MY LOVE (THE BEAST WITHIN MIX) (1990) from the Lenny Kravitz sessions. Virtually a new song itself and used twice in Madonna's tours.

R-848666-1271868016.jpeg.jpg

UP DOWN SUITE sometimes labeled as UP DOWN SUITE (DUB) (1993) from the Erotica Sessions with Shep Pettibone. Virtually an extended remix of the outtake GOODBYE TO INNOCENCE which was later released in a random compilation. It can be found in most Rain single and EP releases.

R-709276-1283194114.jpeg.jpg

LET DOWN YOUR GUARD (ROUGH MIX EDIT) (1994) from the Bedtime Stories sessions with Dallas Austin. Found in several Secret single releases.

R-292234-1251744651.jpeg.jpg

HAS TO BE (1998) from the Ray of Light sessions with William Orbit. Found in some Ray of Light single releases and in the Japanese CD of the album.

R-699905-1286187607.jpeg.jpg

CYBERRAGA sometimes spelled as CYBER-RAGA (2000) from the Music sessions with Talvin Singh originally produced by William Orbit. Found in several Music and Don't Tell Me single releases and in the Japanese edition of the Music album.

R-2301660-1275625743.jpeg.jpg

YOUR HONESTY (2003) from the Bedtime Stories sessions with Dallas Austin. Found in every Remixed & Revisited EP released around the world.

R-210155-1222591584.jpeg.jpg

HISTORY (2006) from the Confessions on a Dance Floor sessions with Stuart Price. Found in several Jump single releases.

R-886690-1246501542.jpeg.jpg

I still believe we could have got more songs or bonus tracks released as B-sides. Whatever happened to the gorgeous song QUEEN:dead:

1 hour ago, madgefan said:

I must confess there are days when I only listen to her rare stuff like unreleased tracks, demos, and recordings. You've all been in that mood, haven't you?

@madgefani kinda do like u!!! The latest thing i've created is this folder:

txS0h38.jpg

I love to listen to it in shuffle!!!.

I don't know if i should add JML and Rescue Me, and I Want You, You'll See & One More Chance too tho...

Maybe the 3 [?] unheard versions of Ain't No Big Deal don't sound like a Four Tops re-write quite so much ?
According to this it's because of the Baracuda version that it couldn't be used ??
And we got a little song called Holiday instead....
https://nypost.com/2018/07/12/madonnas-first-hit-holiday-almost-never-happened/

Great topic!  I'm always fascinated by her rare and unreleased songs, and yes, I definitely have days when those are my go-to choice for M tunes.  I tend to love her rare tracks, probably because they're kind of obscure.  I remember the first time I heard Supernatural, and I've loved it ever since.  Plus I love the cover of the Cherish single (check my avatar), so the Cherish 12" is always in my top 5 single releases.

I am soo in love with the b-sides! Supernatural and the Beast within are my favourite. Never understood the presence of Up Down Suite in the Rain single, I thought it was irritating to have such a strange dub, until Goodbye to innocence was released: another gem.

I wouldn't consider Spotlight in this list because it's more an unreleased track for a compilation album, as Celebration, Justify my love, You'll see etc.

I would add the Soanish version of You'll see and WIFLFAG instead.

25 minutes ago, Enrico said:

I wouldn't consider Spotlight in this list because it's more an unreleased track for a compilation album, as Celebration, Justify my love, You'll see etc.

I would add the Soanish version of You'll see and WIFLFAG instead.

I thought so but then I decided to include only discarded songs which were later included in official Madonna only releases aka non-album tracks or previously unreleased.