Madonna to direct Blond Ambition herself?

Fontainebleau

We have to take the Daily Mail with a grain of salt, but Baz Bamigboye writes that Madonna is thinking of directing Blond Ambition herself:

BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Madonna gets into the groove for a biopic on her rise to anointed pop royalty

"No one knows the life of Madonna Louise Ciccone better than...well, Madonna.

Which is why the superstar singer, actress and cultural icon is considering picking up the directing reins on a film project she had previously expressed disdain for.

Last year, when the pop monarch heard about a script by Elyse Hollander called Blond Ambition (named after Madonna's Nineties tour) that chronicled her rise from talented citizen to anointed pop royalty, she let it be known that she wasn't amused.

In an Instagram post, Madonna stormed: 'Nobody knows what I know and what I have seen. Only I can tell my own story.

'Anyone else who tries is a charlatan and a fool. Looking for instant gratification without doing the work. This is a disease in our society.'

Hollander's screenplay was highly regarded by those who read it (though, clearly not Madonna).

The film was put into development by producer Michael De Luca and Universal Pictures. Since then, though, it has languished somewhat because the singer would not grant permission to use original songs from early in her career.

However, I understand that Madonna — who turned 60 last summer — has recently come to the realisation that she does want a celluloid record of how she conquered the world of music, fashion and film, seemingly simultaneously. 

The idea put to me by film executives is that Madonna is thinking about directing the film herself.

If she can't shut the project down, then she might as well control it from within — and make a film to her specifications.

She's certainly good at casting — witness the smart hiring of Andrea Riseborough to portray the Duchess of Windsor in W.E. — and has a great sense of screen style.

But as we also saw from W.E. (which she again directed), Madonna needs a strong producer and dramatist to work with her.

The star's first chart hit was Holiday. The proposed film will focus on how that song got her the record deal that forged her career.

The Material Woman's thoughts about making the movie are on the money.

Since the success of Bohemian Rhapsody — and with Rocketman, a fantasy based on the life of Elton John, due out next month (footage I've seen is great, I just hope the discussions about whether to cut a sex scene are sorted out) — rock music on the big screen is hot.

We would get a washed out and prettyfied version of the real deal. I realize that we can't get the truth from anyone other than her, and she can choose to conceal it. Biopics are the worst - I'd rather have 10 directors each make a short film highlighting a particular event in her life and release that instead. Something fun and experimental. Bohemian Rhapsody was mediocre at best.

when tho. how many films is she set to direct by now.:cryin:

anyways I dont think she should. its great if she wants to shut down movies made about her but her directing a big film about her, uh the potential for disaster is quite high. it would be seen as super egomaniacal and it would be judged really harshly and people would be so skeptical it would never be given a chance.

most probably the whole thing is fake though. 

1 hour ago, Fontainebleau said:

How would we feel if Madonna were really to direct the movie based on her own life?

I think that would be pretty epic! 

Yes, Bohemian Rhapsody was shit, yes, this one could turn out to be an egomaniacal mess, but at the same time, this is Madonna, the last living legend, and it would be absolutely insane to watch a film that she directed that is based on her life. Absolutely insane! In the best way possible. 

I have a feeling she's really going all out with this album because she wants it to be her pop star swan song. I wouldn't be surprised if she wraps the album and the tour and just moves on to directing full time (with a Vegas residency once every few years). 

P.S. Stop supporting that daily mail garbage. 

She may have seen the success of the Breakfast Club doc. And Bohemian Rhapsody may be shit, like @The Same Partsargues, but it's still an Oscar-winning movie that everybody went to see.

Now she is supposed to direct at least 3 movies (Greta Wells, Blond Ambition, Taking Flight). These projects are not reach their final stages, it seems.

She could do like Cher, who supervised her own musical theatre bio, The Cher Show, without writing or directing or starring in it.

Even uf she contradicts hersekf many times, I don't see her doing a Vegas residency in the future. I find it more possible that she writes her own autobiography, while watching football games and playing with the twins and trying new creams formulas..

I don’t think it’s gonna happen, or should. If she continues directing, which she obviously will, she should let others write the scripts and co-produce the films. She’s got an eye for the visual aspects (and I hope she works with Korzeniowski again) but she’s not a strong storyteller.

As for a biopic, it could be a big hit and add to her legacy. If she’s involved it will likely end up a dull, sanitized piece of shit like Bohemian Rhapsody. But as she’s not making money from music anymore and if her tours keep making less and less, it’s bound to happen in a decade or so.

3 hours ago, Enrico said:

She may have seen the success of the Breakfast Club doc. And Bohemian Rhapsody may be shit, like @The Same Partsargues, but it's still an Oscar-winning movie that everybody went to see.

Now she is supposed to direct at least 3 movies (Greta Wells, Blond Ambition, Taking Flight). These projects are not reach their final stages, it seems.

She could do like Cher, who supervised her own musical theatre bio, The Cher Show, without writing or directing or starring in it.

Even uf she contradicts hersekf many times, I don't see her doing a Vegas residency in the future. I find it more possible that she writes her own autobiography, while watching football games and playing with the twins and trying new creams formulas..

What if that addiction to wigs she has lately is a sign?