• Secret
    • Frozen
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Hung Up
    • 4 Minutes
    • Give Me All Your Luvin’
    • Living for Love

In anticipation of “Medellín” I thought it would be fun to rank all the lead singles for her studio albums before we get a new #1

They are:

”Everybody”

”Like a Virgin”

”Live to Tell”

”Like a Prayer”

”Erotica”

”Secret”

”Frozen”

”Music”

”American Life”

”Hung Up”

”4 Minutes”

”Give Me All Your Luvin’”

”Living for Love”

(“Die Another Day” was released before “American Life” but it was released independently of the album.)

1. Like a Prayer
2. Frozen
3. Secret
4. Live to Tell
5. Music
6. Hung Up
7. Living for Love
8. Erotica
9. Like a Virgin
10. 4 Minutes
11. Everybody
12. American Life
13. Give Me All Your Luvin’

The top five are all among her greatest songs but #1 was an easy choice.

1. Live To Tell (still her best song in my opinion)

2. All the other songs depending on what mood I'm in are worthy runner ups except...

13. Give Me All Your Luvin' (not quite her worst song ever but still, should've just been for the Superbowl and then tacked on the end of the deluxe edit of MDNA)

I’ve always found it interesting that Live to Tell is considered the first single from True Blue, even though it was released in March, more coinciding with the movie At Close Range and from what I recall, not really connected to a new Madonna album. There was no mention of True Blue on the single - it just says “From the forthcoming Madonna album on Sire Records and from the Orion Motion Picture "At Close Range". Papa Don’t Preach was released early June and the album True Blue came a few weeks later, so Papa felt more like the first single at the time. Just interesting that Die Another Die is kinda in the same boat but is generally not considered the first single from American Life.

1. Like a Prayer
2. Frozen
3. Secret
4. Music
5. Hung Up
6. Erotica
7. Like a Virgin
8. Live to Tell
9. Living for Love
10. American Life
11. 4 Minutes
12. Everybody
13. Give Me All Your Luvin’

At this moment, Medellín starts above Living for Love and would take the #9 spot for me. I will finalize in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my list:

1. Like a Prayer
  2. Hung Up
  3. Frozen
  4. Like a Virgin
  5. Music
  6. Erotica
  7. Live to Tell
  8. MEDELLÍN (+ Maluma)
  9. 4 Minutes (Feat. Justin Timberlake)
  10. Everybody
  11. Secret
  12. American Life
  13. Living for Love
  14. Give Me All Your Luvin’ (Feat. Nicki Minaj & M.I.A)

01 Like a Prayer  02 Erotica 03 Living for Love 04

4 Minutes 05 Hung Up 06 Music 07 Frozen

08 American Life 09 Give Me All Your Luvin’

10 Secret 11 Live to Tell 12 Like a Virgin 13 Everybody

So excited about Medellin, I would'nt know exactly where tu put it yet, probably very high !

On 4/17/2019 at 5:52 AM, wtg1987 said:

Was a tough choice between like a prayer , live to tell , erotica and vogue ? Why isn’t vogue included ? I’m breathless is a full studio album ? I went with live to tell 

I'm Breathless is not a studio album. Madonna doesn't recognise it as a studio album either.

I must watch the "Medellin" music video before making a definitive ranking but as it stands

1. Like A Prayer.

2. Secret.

3. Like A Virgin.

4. Hung Up.

5. Frozen.

6. Live To Tell.

7. Music.

8. Everybody.

9. 4 Minutes.

10. Erotica.

11. Medellín.

12. American Life.

13. Living For Love.

14. Give Me All Your Luvin'.

On 4/18/2019 at 12:11 AM, Homogenic79 said:

I’ve always found it interesting that Live to Tell is considered the first single from True Blue, even though it was released in March, more coinciding with the movie At Close Range and from what I recall, not really connected to a new Madonna album. There was no mention of True Blue on the single - it just says “From the forthcoming Madonna album on Sire Records and from the Orion Motion Picture "At Close Range". Papa Don’t Preach was released early June and the album True Blue came a few weeks later, so Papa felt more like the first single at the time. Just interesting that Die Another Die is kinda in the same boat but is generally not considered the first single from American Life.

Fun fact, the album was originally titled Live To Tell :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBo_OMOxRbo

I highly recommend watching these videos, interesting stuff. Her record company thought Madonna's career would be over when she insisted on releasing a 5 minute ballad accompanied of a drastic image makeover as the album lead. A huge risk that fortunately paid off big time :cute:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DMESfrMcw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0mt9IBOOqI

The inclusion of "Die Another Day" and "American Pie" makes sense from a business standpoint. They wanted to secure a hit and encourage global audiences to purchase the albums.

So after four days I’m quite confident in this placement.

1. Like a Prayer
2. Frozen
3. Secret
4. Live to Tell
5. Music
6. Hung Up
7. Living for Love
8. Erotica
9. Medellín
10. Like a Virgin
11. 4 Minutes
12. Everybody
13. American Life
14. Give Me All Your Luvin’

I think the main difference is that James Bond is well-known so Die Another Day will always be remembered as a Bond song, while nobody remembers or cared about At Close Range so Live to Tell is not really associated with the film anymore.