rafafroner

The New Album Saga: Part IV - Madame X

5 minutes ago, Fontainebleau said:

In my humble opinion Madame X is Madonna's best album since American Life and a perfect evolution of the themes and production that characterized American Life.

i know M said something similar, but i'm not really sure about that...

10 minutes ago, *mlvc* said:

I do like AL. How many times do I have to say that?

This entire thread of discussion was started because I found it odd that she used a producer that spawned the album that she loved but harmed her career.

American Life harmed her career because of the political climate at the time, not because of the producer.

2 minutes ago, nodoman said:

i know M said something similar, but i'm not really sure about that...

Perhaps she said something about the reason she was working with Mirwais again?

7 minutes ago, *mlvc* said:

I like this review, it's honest.

I think what's really missing from "Killers" is a good first half. The lyrics just seem forced and they don't work.

"Extreme Occident" is pretty, but you're right in your assessment that it's repetitive, although I think several tracks suffer from repetitiveness. 

I've noticed that a lot of M's Latin fan base are loving this record, which makes sense due to the Latin feel of the album. Maybe that's why some can't get into it because half of the album is in languages some of her North American fans don't speak. Just a thought.

I added the first singles too lol :P 

Thx for the feedback :) 

1 minute ago, stfan97 said:

American Life harmed her career because of the political climate at the time, not because of the producer.

Oh, I don't think that's the only reason. I think it boils down to that album not being very commercial. Not one single song from AL is every played on the radio and M was forgiven for her hatred of GWB. She bounced back 2 years late with "Hung Up" peaking at number 7 and her ReInvention Tour was a huge success.

2 minutes ago, *mlvc* said:

Oh, I don't think that's the only reason. I think it boils down to that album not being very commercial. Not one single song from AL is every played on the radio and M was forgiven for her hatred of GWB. She bounced back 2 years late with "Hung Up" peaking at number 7 and her ReInvention Tour was a huge success.

Nah it was mostly political - Hollywood, Nothing Fails, Love Profusion were all radio friendly tracks - radio in America banned her after AL, they did the same to the Dixie Chicks who spoke out agains the Iraq war also. It was rumored at the time that Hollywood was going to be the albums title - to think how it could have been...but it's not and that's ok - she stuck her neck out like the Dixie Chicks and others - and that's a freedom fighter.

Hung Up was ignored by radio - and it charted purely on sales - which it did really well at - it would have been higher had radio also supported it.

4 minutes ago, *mlvc* said:

AL not being played on radio was because she was banned by radio stations for political reasons. So it all comes down to politics.

At first listen, the new tracks that hit me were :

Killers Who Are Partying 

Crazy

Come Alive

Faz Gostoso

Looking for Mercy

(went to pee between Bitch I'm Loca and I Don't Search I Find... :stare:)

9 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Nah it was mostly political - Hollywood, Nothing Fails, Love Profusion were all radio friendly tracks - radio in America banned her after AL, they did the same to the Dixie Chicks who spoke out agains the Iraq war also. It was rumored at the time that Hollywood was going to be the albums title - to think how it could have been...but it's not and that's ok - she stuck her neck out like the Dixie Chicks and others - and that's a freedom fighter.

Hung Up was ignored by radio - and it charted purely on sales - which it did really well at - it would have been higher had radio also supported it.

That's not correct. I live in East Tennessee, a VERY Republican area and "Hung Up" was played A LOT on local radio.

I agree that the other songs were radio friendly, and yes, there was a political element to it, but I think it was more about just tearing her down than her opinion.

Yes, I believe the album was going to be called HOLLYWOOD with that as the lead single. I think WB wanted "American Life" dropped entirely in favor of "Hollywood" but she wasn't having it. "American Life" the song is pretty poor, the rap alone is cringe worthy.

Just now, *mlvc* said:

That's not correct. I live in East Tennessee, a VERY Republican area and "Hung Up" was played A LOT on local radio.

I agree that the other songs were radio friendly, and yes, there was a political element to it, but I think it was more about just tearing her down than her opinion.

Why? She was doing amazing - did another day did great - then she released American Life and the video and then withdrew it - she was persecuted at that time for speaking out against the war - the Dixie Chick's did the same and there career was over.

3 hours ago, *mlvc* said:

Yes, but it's not the super deluxe. If you have Apple Music  you don't even have to buy it

which deluxe do you mean the one with the blonde hair?

28 minutes ago, *mlvc* said:

Yes, I believe the album was going to be called HOLLYWOOD with that as the lead single. I think WB wanted "American Life" dropped entirely in favor of "Hollywood" but she wasn't having it. "American Life" the song is pretty poor, the rap alone is cringe worthy.

American Life, the song, is awesome but not for everyone. I can see why it wasnt a hit

Listened to the full album last night. It is really really well put together. The songs are very different from what we're used to, and I love it! She took a risk with this one and it will pay off!  There's one song, can't remember which one now, that reminds me of A Clockwork Orange, got those vibes. Really good album!!

1 hour ago, Luiz Ribeiro said:

My review, remember, is just MY opinion, not yours. So no one holds the absolute truth.

Medellin - 6/10

A cool song up, to be on the album only and not as a lead single. Maybe if she was not single we could want her as a single? We will never know. 
What bothers me in music is precisely the solo parts of Madonna, where I found the way to pronounce the words a bit tacky.

I Rise - 3/10

Sounds like a B-Side or Demo .... can go unnoticed totally.

Crave - 6/10

After much listening, now I can hear better. A cool and ordinary song only. It could be done by any singer, literally.

Future - 5/10

For me, a recycled version of UB, but without the originality.

Dark Ballet - 10/10

A work of art for refined ears. No easy pop, from chewed music to people who do not like to think, nothing obvious and with TONS of elements that magically add and sew the music. I can only define it as a work of art.

I Don't Search I Find - 10/10

It's the kind of music that we drool when you listen to a record by another artist. Refreshing, original, different, a breath in the middle of the sameness. Not that the "Deep House" is something innovative, but Madonna puts that rhythm on another level in this song. A song that fits in any environment, an amazing song. What music! I'm so proud!

God Control - 7/10

A good sample of the 70's, but something missing ... the part that she does that "rap" I thought it was very interesting ... maybe it edited in another way was less repetitive. But it's still good music.

Crazy - 9/10
The beginning OMG...so perfect... the rest of teh song I miss something.... something orchestral or somenthing really exploding

Come Alice - 7/10

Again, it had everything to be a perfect song but something missing in the music that explodes it ... give that natural evolution to not get repetitive, maybe the final chorus in some way during the song.

Killers Who Are Partying - 4/10

I expected so much from this song and found it boring for lack of something exciting. When I say this I'm not talking about some dancing element ... but rather elements and instruments that leave an atmosphere about music, as they did for example in Mer Girl and To Have And Not To Hold

Faz Gostoso - 9/10

A pop song with Brazilian influences of first quality, a super well-edited sound and with an incredible class, totally exciting for the dance floors. Only those who attend the current young ballads know how this kind of music excites people on the dance floor. A very good song.

Bitch, I'm Loca - 3/10

A lazy song and nothing innovative, generic. It may spark a niche of consumers, but easily forgettable.

Extreme Occident - 4/10

It has a good reason to be a "bonus track" ..... it's repetitive and ... boring. At least until now ... maybe in the future I'll change my mind. As the sayings say: only the donkeys do not change their minds.

Batuka - 9/10

This is pure "World Music" at its core. What a brave Madonna, what a daring to make your pampered American fans listen to World Music without a hint of pop lol. Madonna manages to put elements that make you feel on that women's wheel, a strong and inspiring, almost primitive song!

Final = 6.6/10

Extreme Occident is one of her best song, Killers is amazing. OMG!

1 hour ago, discohub said:

At first listen, the new tracks that hit me were :

Killers Who Are Partying 

Crazy

Come Alive

Faz Gostoso

Looking for Mercy

(went to pee between Bitch I'm Loca and I Don't Search I Find... :stare:)

On second listen, some (others) stand out :

God Control > crazy

Killers > my favourite so far

Faz Gostoso > makes me want to go to Brazil

Extreme Occident > they made it short, very cleverly built

and Batuka needs to be a highlight of the tour !

Medellin, Dark Ballet, Future and Crave really do blend in very smoothly. They were smart single and pre-release choices.

I Rise is really her worst album closer since... Stay. So preachy (which is probably one of the album's flaws, but at least most of the lyrics aren't generic, she put a lot into it.)

8 hours ago, Bruce Hutchings Rafter said:

Im just really hoping that everone that has the album leak already will also be buying the album.....

I pay for my music through subscription for couple of years now, does that count as buying it?

I no longer own a CD player or a PC with an actual CD-ROM :tongue: