Live Nation was a bad idea?

Luiz Ribeiro

Although I think that the LN years can be grouped together, I think that M's output and albums were not greatly impacted by LN. Yes, LN would have distributed the albums etc, but the quality of what was produced I believe was very much down to M. The greater emphasis that was put on the live shows during these years - arguably at the expense of album quality -  would have existed even without LN as that was the way the industry was heading (hence the LN deal in the first place!) Unfortunately, I've seen the albums from HC onwards as primarily adverts for the tours.

3 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Although I think that the LN years can be grouped together, I think that M's output and albums were not greatly impacted by LN. Yes, LN would have distributed the albums etc, but the quality of what was produced I believe was very much down to M. The greater emphasis that was put on the live shows during these years - arguably at the expense of album quality -  would have existed even without LN as that was the way the industry was heading (hence the LN deal in the first place!) Unfortunately, I've seen the albums from HC onwards as primarily adverts for the tours.

What I imagine is that LN may have a majority decision regarding the sonority of the albums released. Something like, "Make a song for the young, get this producer, he's on the market."

4 minutes ago, Luiz Ribeiro said:

What I imagine is that LN may have a majority decision regarding the sonority of the albums released. Something like, "Make a song for the young, get this producer, he's on the market."

This isn't likely, since they're a touring company and have no input on the music itself. @Kieran hit the nail on the head. MDNA in particular felt really rushed since they wanted to get the Superbowl as promo. 

5 minutes ago, Luiz Ribeiro said:

There could be some truth in this - especially regarding M's comments about being 'forced to go to song writing camps with loads of people that can't sit still for five minutes'. However, I've always read that as M trying her hand a 'writing with the new kids on the block' and then being disappointed, rather than being instructed by anyone.

7 minutes ago, Kieran said:

There could be some truth in this - especially regarding M's comments about being 'forced to go to song writing camps with loads of people that can't sit still for five minutes'. However, I've always read that as M trying her hand a 'writing with the new kids on the block' and then being disappointed, rather than being instructed by anyone.

Yeap...

32 minutes ago, Kieran said:

But... it was her choice to go "indie". Upon going "indie" she obtained control over things that may have been otherwise not on her radar. Also, for example, none of the LiveNation albums (sans the forthcoming Madame X) have had a producer on board for the majority of the project. Had she stuck with WB, HC may have been Timbaland only, MDNA would have been Orbit only, and RH would likely have been Diplo only.

16 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

But... it was her choice to go "indie". Upon going "indie" she obtained control over things that may have been otherwise not on her radar. Also, for example, none of the LiveNation albums (sans the forthcoming Madame X) have had a producer on board for the majority of the project. Had she stuck with WB, HC may have been Timbaland only, MDNA would have been Orbit only, and RH would likely have been Diplo only.

I completely agree... relativley speaking, WB kept her on a leash and perhaps that discipline helped. Left to her own devices, we'd be about to buy $500 tickets for Madonna: Candy Shop World Tour 2019!

19 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

"Bedtime Stories" was released by Warners and had multiple producers. Also, "Hard Candy" was still done with Warner Bros.

I am not sure how true some of the recent discussion has been and her comment about 'band camps'. Hard Candy was her album, she pretty much worked exclusively with Timberland, no one forced her, she decided.

MDNA again, she worked on half the album with Martin and half with William (and a few with Benny) - we all know Williams public comments about his frustrations on Madonna not making herself available and stretching herself too thin - again, Madonna's choice, not her labels.

Rebel Heart - she poured her heart and soul into that album, and stupid fans leaked and ruined her vision and forced her to rush the end process.

Madame X - as with all previous albums, it's been her choice, her vision, her music.

So, to sum it, she's always been in charge of her music and direction and the same can be said about Live Nation - the only thing that has changed is the distribution - which I understand Warner is looking after.

No label forced her to do GMAYL, TUTR, to sing in a high pitched voice, to sing out of tune in Sticky and Sweet, to prioritize clothing, perfume and skin care over her music (MDNA), that was her choice.  She's always been in charge of her music, the direction, and the QUALITY of such. She clearly decided to work with Mike Dean again to mix Madame X - despite multiple fans on here complaining about the quality of the mixing of tracks on RH that MD mastered. 

2 hours ago, Jackie said:

I am not sure how true some of the recent discussion has been and her comment about 'band camps'. Hard Candy was her album, she pretty much worked exclusively with Timberland, no one forced her, she decided.

MDNA again, she worked on half the album with Martin and half with William (and a few with Benny) - we all know Williams public comments about his frustrations on Madonna not making herself available and stretching herself too thin - again, Madonna's choice, not her labels.

Rebel Heart - she poured her heart and soul into that album, and stupid fans leaked and ruined her vision and forced her to rush the end process.

Madame X - as with all previous albums, it's been her choice, her vision, her music.

So, to sum it, she's always been in charge of her music and direction and the same can be said about Live Nation - the only thing that has changed is the distribution - which I understand Warner is looking after.

No label forced her to do GMAYL, TUTR, to sing in a high pitched voice, to sing out of tune in Sticky and Sweet, to prioritize clothing, perfume and skin care over her music (MDNA), that was her choice.  She's always been in charge of her music, the direction, and the QUALITY of such. She clearly decided to work with Mike Dean again to mix Madame X - despite multiple fans on here complaining about the quality of the mixing of tracks on RH that MD mastered. 

Warner as her record label would have overseen the production of her albums and given lots of input into every decision made. That would have had an impact on the overall quality of each album. And then there is the marketing side, the selection of correct singles etc all of which has been a balls up ever since she left them. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

So yes I believe if she’d stayed with Warner she would have continued having successful singles and albums. However real success is measured in dollars and she’s made lots since leaving Warner. The profit from streaming is virtually nothing compared to merchandise and ticket sales. Chart figures are things that only matter to fans really. I would say to Madonna and Guy the LN deal is a great success.

3 hours ago, Jackie said:

yawns 

3 hours ago, Jackie said:

didnt rebel heart have mixing flaws because well it wasn't finished you know due to the leaks ...shes not prioritized mdna skin over music and she has never sang perfectly while on tour so whatever slagging off the sticky and sweet tour ..she worked her ass off on that tour ..full of energy 

54 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

didnt rebel heart have mixing flaws because well it wasn't finished you know due to the leaks ...shes not prioritized mdna skin over music and she has never sang perfectly while on tour so whatever slagging off the sticky and sweet tour ..she worked her ass off on that tour ..full of energy 

Possibly, I was just stating her albums since Warner. I loved Sticky & Sweet, again my comment wasn't that she was off tune singing live, just that you cannot blame her changing labels for a perceived 'lack of quality' in her music, and you are right, she has never sang perfectly whilst on tour, so my point is, is that she does what she wants regardless. 

Let's not forget that Warner also fucked up her promotion, is there anyone on here that remembers the fiasco with Nothing Really Matters?!?! It peaked at No. 93, because the physical single was released way after the airplay peak - there are numerous examples of Warner not having her best interests, and that's why she left. 

She's always recorded albums to support tours, Erotica - Girlie Show, Bedtime Stories - she did plan on touring the album, Ray of Light - again she did plan to tour the album, Music - DWT, American Life - RIT - Confesisons - COAD - Hard Candy - Sticky and Sweet - MDNA - MDNA - Rebel Heart - Rebel Heart Tour - I am pretty sure there's a pattern here......

8 hours ago, Jackie said:

Honestly people blame the leaks too much for the quality of the album. It was a good album but Im not sure it was ever perfect. The leaks maybe made her change some elements of the production and maybe switch versions but the songs already had problems (too short, overproduced, lacking complexity). Thankfully she seems to be correcting those issues on Madame X.

Anyway I dont think Live Nation had anything to do with anything, I think she wasnt that inspired for a while... at least we always got great things on each album and each tour. 

24 minutes ago, Fighter said:

Honestly people blame the leaks too much for the quality of the album. It was a good album but Im not sure it was ever perfect. The leaks maybe made her change some elements of the production and maybe switch versions but the songs already had problems (too short, overproduced, lacking complexity). Thankfully she seems to be correcting those issues on Madame X.

Anyway I dont think Live Nation had anything to do with anything, I think she wasnt that inspired for a while... at least we always got great things on each album and each tour. 

Good point - I guess what I meant with Rebel Heart - she clearly put time into it (quality and depth aside) - compared to MDNA which was basically a covers album.