What are the good books on Madonna?

Cravens

Hey gang. There is a ton of garbage books on our lady out there and sifting through them could potentially be a long journey and definitely a really expensive one, so I’m hoping some of you might have some good recommendations for some great books on Madonna for me to invest in..

I’m sorta into two kinds of books: The glitzy, well produced photo books appeal to me, but also the more in-depth historical ones (and if you know of any analytical ones that goes into the song writing and production, then please, please tell me).

I’m not at all interested in the gossipy, low quality pulp books, nor the back-stabbing "I used to be this and that to Madonna"-ones though. And so with that in mind: Can you recommend me a good book?

17 hours ago, kesiak said:

Lucy O'Brien's "Like An Icon" is by far the best Madonna biography out there (I've read quite a few :)). It really focuses on the music and Madonna's creative process and motivation rather than her bedroom. 

I'm gonna buy that one. It sounds exactly what I'm looking for!

13 hours ago, madgefan said:

Though not perfect, I think Taraborrelli's is pretty much well written. It covers all her discography, tours, and movies as well as private aspects of her life.

I remember reading that back in the day and not really liking it. If I remember correctly I thought the author cast Madonna as a bit of a cynical and shallow woman. 

For classical biographies, Christopher Andersen (the first one I believe), Marc Bego, Lucy O’Brien, Taraborelli, Barbara Victor (somehow different, non linear), Andrew Morton (includes gossips). They are all pretty good to get the picture. I enjoyed Bego quite a lot. 

and of course her brother’s book Life with my sister. A must read.

And The Madonna companion by Metz Benson for a more cerebral approach. Academic.

Encyclopedia Madonnica is excellent,  sort of a bible.

Anne  Bleuzen photobook is beautiful featuring three photoshoot by reknown photographers.

I think Madonna Superstar is also a nice glossy photobook.